Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

semiconductor fabrication uses a fuckload of water. it's a known issue for this Arizona plant going back several years but they pushed construction through anyway

arizona gets about 12 inches of rain a year. I'm sure it'll be fine

Don't worry, we'll have a new kind of semiconductor that runs at room temperature/pressure and is much easier to manufacture annnnnnnnnnny day now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nothus posted:

There's going to be a shooting war over the Colorado river at some point.

Battle of Hoover Dam is going to be real

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah yellowjacket nest removal from house: $400

This works too.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

it's fun to ask Lexus drivers if they're enjoying their leased Toyota

I have a used 2012 Lexus hatchback (so Prius engine in a nicer looking body and comfortable interior). I bought it in 2020 cash. It’s great. and I bought it because it’s basically just a nicer Toyota. (my next car with be a rav4 prime in 5 years or so).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

poemdexter posted:

It's a combination of two things:
1. because chip manufacturing requires a crazy amount of precision and you want to be somewhere that has little to no seismic activity.
2. phoenix is hella cheap compared to east coast.

wouldn't the great lakes be even better then? we don't get earthquakes here virtually ever and obviously way more water.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

iirc, the state of arizona also forked over a whole bunch of money

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

poemdexter posted:

1. because chip manufacturing requires a crazy amount of precision and you want to be somewhere that has little to no seismic activity.

Man, you aren't making GBS threads

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

poemdexter posted:

Point 2 is way more important, closer to the truth.

Even though arizona gets much less seismic activity compared to say Cali, everything west of the mississippi river is generally more earthquake prone.

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Willa Rogers posted:

laff at boomers all u want but we knew how to kick scabby asses

actually mostly you guys did coke and destroyed pensions but sure

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

poemdexter posted:

I've seen people here bandy about the seismic activity thing quite a bit here but I'm not sure that makes sense, seeing as Michigan has had a single tiny earthquake in the past 30 days and Arizona has had 139.

I'm sure there might be other reasons for putting it out in the desert like corrupt local officials or the state government bribing with tax incentives but I'm not sure if earthquakes are much of a factor. Heck the world's capital of semiconductors, Taiwan, is on an island that routinely gets savages by earthquakes and typhoons.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

My neighbor recently sold their house for a million dollars and hosed off to Arizona. Apparently they love it there but I asked my folks what are they gonna do when that region runs out of water in the next 5 years and they replied 'well that's their problem' lol

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Willa Rogers posted:

laff at boomers all u want but we knew how to kick scabby asses

Really presumptuous of you to just group a whole age cohort together like that. Better be careful or someone who's whole post persona is to be mad about that might show up.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
there's a fault line all the way down the west coast

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/search/

handy tool to search seismic activity if people wanna have fun, argue better.

Apr 7, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

My neighbor recently sold their house for a million dollars and hosed off to Arizona. Apparently they love it there but I asked my folks what are they gonna do when that region runs out of water in the next 5 years and they replied 'well that's their problem' lol

In the Arizona of 2038, the water in that pool will be able to buy you many productive slaves

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

nomad2020 posted:

This works too.

is this just a spray bottle of diluted dish soap lol

yellowjackets build elaborately inside the walls/crevices in mortar or brickwork, they are not directly accessible

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

also holy poo poo

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
Great Lakes

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqu...22time%22%7D%7D

Arizona

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthqu...22time%22%7D%7D

both in the last 10 years, >2.5 magnitude

tldr: its the money lol

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

thats 900k+ in Seattle/Tacoma

palace

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

gently caress it dude, im moving to phoenix

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Beached Whale posted:

I've seen people here bandy about the seismic activity thing quite a bit here but I'm not sure that makes sense, seeing as Michigan has had a single tiny earthquake in the past 30 days and Arizona has had 139.

I'm sure there might be other reasons for putting it out in the desert like corrupt local officials or the state government bribing with tax incentives but I'm not sure if earthquakes are much of a factor. Heck the world's capital of semiconductors, Taiwan, is on an island that routinely gets savages by earthquakes and typhoons.

Oh it makes 100000% sense to slap it in Michigan, but I would bet any amount of money that Arizona bent over backwards to sell this to them.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Definitely watch Poisoned on netflix. Wasn’t really new material for me but definitely eye opening.

Mass produced poultry is sickening.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

*fractional ownership

*$2k/month hoa

that place is crazy expensive

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Glumwheels posted:

Definitely watch Poisoned on netflix. Wasn’t really new material for me but definitely eye opening.

Mass produced poultry is sickening.

honestly it’s not just poultry, it’s all megacorp amerimeats with infinite shell corps in between exploiting children and undocumented workers to the bone

halah lamb is probably the only reasonable meat to eat in america because it’s not in massive demand with millions of doughy white midwestern guys going “I’m a meat and potato” eating a 18oz well done steak with A1 and a mashed potato every night for dinner

Apr 7, 2003

no lube so what posted:

*fractional ownership

*$2k/month hoa

that's what I get for just looking at the number on the listing I guess

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Sometimes I miss Phoenix, but then I remember that I take psychic damage from not being around greenery and get over it

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

blockchain based solutions for climate change impacted housing in phoenix

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
a lot of the southwest particularly s/sw Utah is really gorgeous but should not have millions of suburban tract housing and McMansions there

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lol trying to buy back water rights from the alfalfa farming

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

but there’s good school districts and low crime! this McMansion is perfect honey, think of how great the school are

Nah they don't have those either

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

id think a landlord would prefer not to have their property burnt down but hey if you've also got some insurance fraud gig set up then props

sounds like your loser landlord should pay to get rid of the yellowjackets themselves if they don't want you taking matters into your own hands

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah yellowjacket nest removal from house: $400

can of spectracide pro dawg

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

lol trying to buy back water rights from the alfalfa farming

doing that would be admitting that industrial ag is the #1 water user by leaps and bounds and enormous amounts of money and effort goes into keeping this fact hidden

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

this is the free market, I yell, as I take my homemade flamethrower to the side of my rented house's vinyl siding

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Hmm yes this 3 bedroom 3 bath 2400 sq ft condo with its own in-ground pool and is part of a golf course is definitely <$300k

I mean, lol https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Scottsdale/6000-E-Camelback-Rd-85251/unit-7707/home/176077772:

quote:

Fractional Ownership! Enjoy this desert getaway 3 weeks per year. Own a piece of The Phoenician resort with this spacious 3 bedroom + den, 3 1/2 bath villa! Complete with a private pool, hot tub, outdoor grill, fire pit, fireplace, and full kitchen with twice daily housekeeping. This end unit enjoys golf course and mountain views from the patio. The unit comes w/its own concierge service and golf cart to use on the property + amenities of the hotel. Fractional Ownership means that you will enjoy week 11 and week 47 with one floating summer week per year. Week 11 is typically during spring training and 47 is usually over the Thanksgiving holiday. Only 1 spring or fall week is required to be used here & unused weeks can be converted to Marriott points for use elsewhere.

Only $300k and you can enjoy one week in the spring and one week during Thanksgiving (???)! Buy now!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

water is sold to the ag industry in units of the "acre foot" which is the amount of water needed to cover an acre of land in a foot of standing water

meanwhile, people are told not to flush their toilets as a way to meaningfully have an impact on water shortages

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Abner Assington posted:

Hmm yes this 3 bedroom 3 bath 2400 sq ft condo with its own in-ground pool and is part of a golf course is definitely <$300k

I mean, lol https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Scottsdale/6000-E-Camelback-Rd-85251/unit-7707/home/176077772:

Only $300k and you can enjoy one week in the spring and one week during Thanksgiving (???)! Buy now!

so they just rebranded timeshares?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

no lube so what posted:

*fractional ownership

*$2k/month hoa

Yeah actual home prices in Scottsdale are around $500k+ for 1400 sqft

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

There are over 100 > 90 F days per year in Phoenix

For many Americans, especially aging boomers, the absence of snow is good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Abner Assington posted:

That price checks out for Houston a few years ago. Y'all are the ones disconnected from reality.

I bought a new construction 2400sqft house with a 2 car garage on a quarter acre for $160k in Houston less than a decade ago.