Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So apparently there was a brawl yesterday by some good ol' boys that didn't want to move their pontoon boat for a riverboat coming in. The security guard that asked them to move was apparently black, so they didn't like that very much.

The key though is that the heels got their comeuppance, though the chairman and many others got arrested. BAH GAWD

https://twitter.com/shannonsharpeee/status/1688220213811314688?t=kWHEVnDhkyIGde6ukZuGpA&s=19

https://twitter.com/ThatZoeJames/status/1688452939734540288?t=V3PHwABlmMF2QLWlT19h7Q&s=19

https://www.wsfa.com/2023/08/06/montgomery-riverfront-brawl-leads-multiple-arrests/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah it was literally a security guard on the job asking them to move their party boats away from the designated parking spot for the tour boat. The first guy he asked almost immediately starts a fight and a bunch of his buddies/family run in. A massive swell of people show up in defense of the security guard including people swimming across from other piers and boats. The memes have been incredible.

All of the jackasses that started the fight by jumping the security guard were arrested. I'm not sure how many of the people that beat the dog poo poo out them were charged, but the post above indicates the chairman was. I don't think anyone else in the retaliatory group was arrested, and I'm honestly not sure they should be given the circumstances.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

A.o.D. posted:

You do that because you know the swim area will fail, so you roll the dice with an area you think will pass.

Hell yeah lets commit some fraud/negligence in order to maybe kill some people.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Grip it and rip it posted:

It's the "maybe" which makes that a profitable move.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

:capitalism:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

I see you've met international sports organizers before.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wasnt this the last World Cup motto?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aspirational as in aspiring to be the first American dictator via coup?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Dunno if this has been answered elsewhere but how does it work if he’s indicted in DC, Florida, & Georgia, trial wise? Would assume there are some fairness rules about how the trials couldn’t be happening at the same time, do the courts just work that out among themselves?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dunno if this has been answered elsewhere but how does it work if he’s indicted in DC, Florida, & Georgia, trial wise? Would assume there are some fairness rules about how the trials couldn’t be happening at the same time, do the courts just work that out among themselves?

I'm not able to find much on quick googling (sample here), but the Michael Avenatti case kind of demonstrates how it usually works. Most federal cases take so loving long to actually get to trial that it's usually not a danger. Since DC needs one set of admitted attorneys, Florida another, and Georgia another, the courts work it out at the prompting of the defense.

The key bit are the defense lawyers saying "sorry judge, my client is not available on X dates due to needing to be present for Trial Y". That's absolutely the defense lawyers' job and the courts will give them deference. But "your honor, my client is very busy running a campaign and cannot be present until after 2024" isn't exactly going to earn a court's deference.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That makes sense. On another note is there a possibility if he gets stupid enough to directly threaten the DC judge that he’ll be locked up for contempt pending trial? Would guess that’s possible for any defendant but he has a ridiculously long leash but there must be a limit.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That makes sense. On another note is there a possibility if he gets stupid enough to directly threaten the DC judge that he’ll be locked up for contempt pending trial? Would guess that’s possible for any defendant but he has a ridiculously long leash but there must be a limit.

If there's a next step it'll probably be a social media ban. As you said, he has a ridiculously long leash, and it will take either repeated violations or overt violence to get to the punitive custody step.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Sadly unlikely. Generally, pretrial detention is only used to ensure someone shows up (if they're a bail-skipper) or to make them stop criming. Donnie's thing is a white-collar case and he's one of the most known people on earth, so a lockup on #1 is unlikely.

So that basically puts him in the Sam Bankman-Fried lane. DOJ is constantly going to the court to try and get him locked up for loving around with witnesses and co-conspirators. But, judges are hesitant to use pretrial lockup because innocent until proven guilty :rolleyes: and it's hard to put together a defense with your lawyers when you're locked up.

The most I'm hoping for is a gag order of some type, but even that's unlikely. It's more constitutional to use pretrial lockup than gag orders because of the first amendment implications of gag orders. But, Donnie could be stupid enough to tapdance on that line and fall over with some threatening nonsense to the judge or a grand jury member!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I mean, if I’ve watched enough Legal Eagle (I haven’t) there is possibility the judge can have him held without bond but that’s typically reserved for violent crimes or flight risks, so it’s probably unlikely since he hasn’t screwed over enough rich white people.

I’d like to see him try to run a campaign from North Korea.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Gotcha makes sense, wondering if it might reach a lockup point if some loonie in a red hat shows up at the judge’s kid’s school or something.

Baffling how defendants told to stay off social media can’t help themselves. When the Pulp Fiction co-writer was in trouble for manslaughter he got kicked out of a work furlough program and into jail because he wouldn’t stop tweeting about prison life.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah it was literally a security guard on the job asking them to move their party boats away from the designated parking spot for the tour boat. The first guy he asked almost immediately starts a fight and a bunch of his buddies/family run in. A massive swell of people show up in defense of the security guard including people swimming across from other piers and boats. The memes have been incredible.

All of the jackasses that started the fight by jumping the security guard were arrested. I'm not sure how many of the people that beat the dog poo poo out them were charged, but the post above indicates the chairman was. I don't think anyone else in the retaliatory group was arrested, and I'm honestly not sure they should be given the circumstances.

I see that pontoon boat and that's all I need to know about every white person there deserving the death penalty.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

not caring here posted:

I see that pontoon boat and that's all I need to know about every white person there deserving the death penalty.

truly the aboveground pool of yachting

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The one dude swimming from his boat to the dock to join in :lmao:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1688578557507743744?t=l_iCQrbLWjYuYbK3Ynv3Tw&s=19

Stay safe DC Goons

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Coasterphreak posted:

I’d like to see him try to run a campaign from North Korea.

The tweets of he and those around him already feel like what would happen if Kim had a Twitter to broadcast to his people.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Arrath posted:

The one dude swimming from his boat to the dock to join in :lmao:

There are nicknames everywhere online:

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1688599775296294919?t=hXPYdsnA1YnxM9ZB9AaAgQ&s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Chudge Cannon might already be showing her whole rear end:

Basically she is pissed that Special Counsel continues to prosecute other Trump crimes elsewhere in other courts outside of hers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah this is their entire defense plan I think

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I am not good at parsing legalese and all of that, can someone please help me understand which of these charges could result in no poo poo consequences that would result in things like Trump not being able to run again, etc?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

maffew buildings posted:

I am not good at parsing legalese and all of that, can someone please help me understand which of these charges could result in no poo poo consequences that would result in things like Trump not being able to run again, etc?

None of them. None of them will prevent Trump from running again.

None of the charges are for insurrection or rebellion, which are the only charges that can keep you for running for office.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

Chudge Cannon might already be showing her whole rear end:

Basically she is pissed that Special Counsel continues to prosecute other Trump crimes elsewhere in other courts outside of hers.

I've yet to see any solid analysis of what exactly this order is intended to do. Apparently the trump lawyers were going to complain about the dual grand jury thing and now Cannon is bringing it to the forefront? And DOJ was showing that Nauta's attorney might have some conflicts in secret motions that Cannon tossed.

Whole thing's weird. Have to always remember that the DOJ is still the DOJ, so it's not like they're inherently good people. Hoping popehat and company come out with analysis soon.

maffew buildings posted:

Completely ignore the NY case. That's probably a fine and suspended sentence at most. White collar first-timers generally don't get jail in cases like those.

Both federal cases are basically 5-10 year sentences based on sentencing guidelines. Neither case is going to qualify as insurrection/rebellion and you can run for president as a felon, so disqualification is not on the table.

No idea about the GA case until it gets announced, potentially sometime this week.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

I've yet to see any solid analysis of what exactly this order is intended to do. Apparently the trump lawyers were going to complain about the dual grand jury thing and now Cannon is bringing it to the forefront? And DOJ was showing that Nauta's attorney might have some conflicts in secret motions that Cannon tossed.

Whole thing's weird. Have to always remember that the DOJ is still the DOJ, so it's not like they're inherently good people. Hoping popehat and company come out with analysis soon.

When it comes to Judge Cannon, I'm willing to give the DOJ the benefit of the doubt. Cannon is, well, rather a loose Cannon.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/bigcory00/status/1688331638697345024

I don't want to spoil any of the best lines of dialogue, but :laffo:.

facialimpediment posted:

Completely ignore the NY case. That's probably a fine and suspended sentence at most. White collar first-timers generally don't get jail in cases like those.

Both federal cases are basically 5-10 year sentences based on sentencing guidelines. Neither case is going to qualify as insurrection/rebellion and you can run for president as a felon, so disqualification is not on the table.

No idea about the GA case until it gets announced, potentially sometime this week.

Also, he can't pardon himself if Georgia becomes a big enough thing to "LOCK HIM UP!" because it's a state thing.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://twitter.com/Libra_King73/status/1688580414599020545

They went back for the chair. It is now an object of immense power

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Far as I see people are invested because theoretically Trump could be forced to campaign out of prison. Which is theoretical anyway because political America would be overwhelmingly concerned by the banana republic optics, even when the chimp throws poo at everything.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Could Judge Cannon show their rear end so much that they get themselves charged with obstruction?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

McNally posted:

None of them. None of them will prevent Trump from running again.

None of the charges are for insurrection or rebellion, which are the only charges that can keep you for running for office.

thanks, that's the breakdown I needed. well I guess these charges are great for vibes for the brunch brigade, if the six figure income coastal elites I know are any indication

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Could Judge Cannon show their rear end so much that they get themselves charged with obstruction?

Nah, if anything DOJ might tell her to pound sand, or another higher court might say "Knock it off, again"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Judicial immunity is pretty absolute, there’d have to be some sort of very explicit bribe to pierce it. The intended way to remove a rogue federal judge is impeachment.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/cheese-wheel-man-crushed-dead-italy-b2388919.html

quote:

An Italian man has been crushed to death by thousands of wheels of cheese.

It took Italian firefighters around 12 hours to find 74-year-old Giacomo Chiapparini, who was buried beneath countless wheels of parmesan-style hard cheese.

The incident occurred when a shelf broke in Mr Chiapparini’s warehouse as he was checking on the ripening wheels in the northern Lombardy region on Sunday.

Thousands of 40kg cheese wheels barreling on top of him as a result.

You know, if this was the way I'd have to go, I think I'd die happy

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

I don't want to spoil any of the best lines of dialogue, but :laffo:.

holy loving gently caress that was good commentary

the add-on commentaries are almost never good, but that poo poo had me choking

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

holy loving gently caress that was good commentary

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Back on bomb/operation downfall chat, I read this book several years ago.

It goes into great detail about how the initial landing was going to have to be on Kyushu, and how and why the Japanese knew exactly where and when it was going to happen.

There is a lot more in the book. I realize there are a lot of people around who say the Japanese would not have resisted as fiercely as the US military believed.

This book pretty much outlines a worst-case scenario of resistance.

The author claims that postwar inspection showed that they had something like 9-10,000 planes and plenty of fuel hidden away, and that the one-way trips most of these would have taken would have been an extremely simple navigational problem— takeoff from Honshu and use the coasts and/or interior of Japan as navigational references, to make a short flight southwest to the invasion fleet.

Also that the Japanese would have had about 750,000 military personnel on Kyushu by November, when the landings were to take place.

It’s pretty horrific to think about, in terms of both military and civilian casualties. Not that the A-bombs, firebombing, and mining of Japanese ports weren’t also horrific, of course.

Anyway, it’s well worth a read if you are interested.

Hell to Pay: Operation DOWNFALL and the Invasion of Japan, 1945–1947

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

top 5 Italian man way to die, right up there with falling over dead in your garden and heart attack while lying to your wife about your mistress. edit: wow am I glad my family is americanized to the point where they didn't go hard and give me an Italian first name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

MrMojok posted:

The author claims that postwar inspection showed that they had something like 9-10,000 planes and plenty of fuel hidden away, and that the one-way trips most of these would have taken would have been an extremely simple navigational problem— takeoff from Honshu and use the coasts and/or interior of Japan as navigational references, to make a short flight southwest to the invasion fleet.
And like so many people in the US, my grandpa was on one of those boats heading toward Japan, so I'm never going to be impartial about the nukes. Maybe in another generation.