Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
mmm euthanasia gang gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

kansas city missouri is infinitely nicer than kansas city kansas
kansas city kansas is infinitely more fun than kansas city missouri

they both suck poo poo

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I've never understood why people get so offended at euthanasia.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Platystemon posted:

One of these things is not like the others.
Indiana has a genuinely lovely section in the southern part that's all rolling hills; it starts where the glacier gave up.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Byzantine posted:

The potential for lovely people to pressure gramma to gtfo, and gimme the house is a sticking point for some.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Pain and suffering have come into your life, but remember pain, sorrow, suffering are but the kiss of Jesus - a sign that you have come so close to Him that He can kiss you.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Byzantine posted:

I think it's basically just the whole "YOU'RE MESSING WITH GOD'S PLAN!!!" poo poo.

Same reason why the Duggars (19 Kids and Counting family, with the molester son) don't believe in birth control because "we don't know God's plan", yet then they started fertility treatments once her womb started to collapse. :ironicat:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Then what was God thinking when he let us invent euthanasia and birth control? Seems sloppy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cannot be understated? Oh I bet I can try

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Byzantine posted:

By not having ever interacting with people nearing the end point of a terminal illness. I've been a support of euthanasia my entire life, but I quadrupled the gently caress down on it when I worked in healthcare and saw the horrors of severe dementia and end-stage cancer. People should absolutely have the choice to not put themselves and their loved ones through that and anyone who thinks otherwise is objectively wrong.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Indiana has a genuinely lovely section in the southern part that's all rolling hills; it starts where the glacier gave up.

It's a little slice of the Kentucky landscape north of the Ohio and it is indeed beautiful.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Byzantine posted:

The slippery slope is real. In Canada, people absolutely are being offered MAID because they're too poor to afford disability services they need to live comfortably.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/i-can-t-live-that-way-montreal-man-seeking-medically-assisted-death-due-to-home-care-conditions-1.6090165
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/woman-with-disabilities-nears-medically-assisted-death-after-futile-bid-for-affordable-housing-1.5882202

This particular slippery slope started with euthanasia for the dying (which I wholeheartedly support) but proceeded to euthanasia for those with incurable conditions who are not dying. https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/un-ex...FclipId%3D64268

quote:

However, the UN experts argue that extending assisted dying to people with non-terminal conditions contravenes Article 10 of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, "which requires states to ensure that persons with disabilities can effectively enjoy their inherent right to life on an equal basis with others."

"When life-ending interventions are normalized for people who are not terminally ill or suffering at the end of their lives, such legislative provisions tend to rest on -- or draw strength from -- ableist assumptions about the inherent 'quality of life' or 'worth' of the life of a person with a disability," they say in a statement issued Monday by the UN Human Rights Council.

So, euthanasia for the dying? Awesome. Euthanasia for people who the State won't be bothered to provide adequate support for? Horrific.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Is it OK to take a girl at her word?

https://i.imgur.com/l7fnrrW.mp4

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The problem isn't an easy and painless way for them to seek their own death, it's the failure of the state to support them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, euthanasia for the dying? Awesome. Euthanasia for people who the State won't be bothered to provide adequate support for? Horrific.

In many ways it's a mirror of the abortion issue. Like yeah, it's not great if someone needs to terminate a pregnancy because of medical or financial problems. But the people who oppose it don't want the state to help them out either! They just want them to suffer.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The slippery slope is real. In Canada, people absolutely are being offered MAID because they're too poor to afford disability services they need to live comfortably.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/i-can-t-live-that-way-montreal-man-seeking-medically-assisted-death-due-to-home-care-conditions-1.6090165
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/woman-with-disabilities-nears-medically-assisted-death-after-futile-bid-for-affordable-housing-1.5882202

This particular slippery slope started with euthanasia for the dying (which I wholeheartedly support) but proceeded to euthanasia for those with incurable conditions who are not dying. https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/un-ex...FclipId%3D64268

Watching Canada immediately slide down that slope showed me we probably won't be able to handle this correctly in my lifetime. It's one of those things where money and profit can't be the deciding factors and well... *gestures vaguely*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also, like, from the other direction, it shouldn't be your obligation to endure or find a more painful way to die if the state won't support you.

Like you can't stop people from choosing death, you can only stop some people from having access to it or make it as painful as possible.

Or, perhaps, you can stop people from choosing death sometimes, but not by denying them access to it. The desire remains in that instance, but unfulfilled.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 20:27 on Aug 7, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

On the other hand, I have a family member who has early onset Parkinsons, and is planning on asking for help turning off the lights at some point when her physical capabilities are degraded beyond her own personal tolerance.
I support her choice in this, despite my initial knee jerk tendancy towards "no, you deserve all the suffering coming to you, and more."
Complex stuff, that isn't an easy cut and dry thing.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
To be able to handle an issue like euthanasia we need to divorce the value of a person from their value to capital. We can't do that so it's a thorny issue as the issues in Canada show. We have to respect them simply because they're people - then they're making a choice in their own and without any external coercion.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OwlFancier posted:

Also, like, from the other direction, it shouldn't be your obligation to endure or find a more painful way to die if the state won't support you.

Like you can't stop people from choosing death, you can only stop some people from having access to it or make it as painful as possible.

Or, perhaps, you can stop people from choosing death sometimes, but not by denying them access to it. The desire remains in that instance, but unfulfilled.

They just want birth and death and marriage and romance and everything like that to be like in a storybook where everything is intentional and conforms to a simplistic standard they've got stuck in their heads from age 7 or something. If anyone has any special circumstances it's their own fault and they shouldn't have gotten into that situation in the first place, and they deserve no sympathy.

e: also MY special circumstances don't count, I'M a good person

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
having done a recent dumb action movie marathon, its interesting how going out with a blaze of glory is a popular trope.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Here's a comment on a Youtube video of some lady whining about how they "ruined" a female character in the upcoming Mortal Kombat game.

quote:

The issue with calling everyone racist over such minor criticism is that it'll quickly devalue the term and desensitize everyone to it. At the rate they're wearing it out, a few years from now it'll be socially acceptable to identify as 'racist' because most people won't know the original meaning or impact of the word, they'll just think it means picky about how attractive characters are.

"WHEN ALL OF US ARE RACIST, NONE OF US ARE!!!!" :bahgawd:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stolen valorracism

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oh God, is this the Tanya thing again?

For reference, people are losing their minds that said character went from this

To this

"Her face looks so UGLY now!". Yeah, I bet that's your problem with it, buddy. /s

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Aug 7, 2023

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
That's certainly a significant difference

the images aren't loading for me

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kantesu posted:

That's certainly a significant difference

the images aren't loading for me

Doing this from the mobile app is an utter pain and the preview button never seems to work when you upload images.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
She is more obviously black now.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

HopperUK posted:

She is more obviously black now.

:thejoke:

It gets particularly creepy when people start going on about how "harsh" her facial features are now. :barf:

And it's not like this is some lore breaking thing or anything, the whole premise of the game is that at the end of the previous one the entire UNIVERSE was rebooted. The only disappointing thing is that Ed Boon didn't take the opportunity to realize his dream of doing a completely original cast (I bet Warner Bros. didn't let him).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Read After Burning posted:

Here's a comment on a Youtube video of some lady whining about how they "ruined" a female character in the upcoming Mortal Kombat game.

"WHEN ALL OF US ARE RACIST, NONE OF US ARE!!!!" :bahgawd:
This is just the exact same poo poo as they pulled with "oh I bet you call everyone a nazi".
First, say it only applies to some hyper exaggerated version that only exists in your head, like someone marching around throwing sieg heils in public. Then say anyone using the term in any context, for any person, is exaggerating, since it doesn't meet that criteria for a REAL nazi (and even if it did, "maybe they have a reason for not liking black people, did they explicitly say they hate all black people BECAUSE they're black?"). Then say the use of the term will dilute it. Then just say they've taken all meaning out of it.
In either case, they're the ones trying to dilute the term and make it lose its bite, they're working tirelessly towards that goal, they just announce the end goal so they can say the left is responsible.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

PhazonLink posted:

having done a recent dumb action movie marathon, its interesting how going out with a blaze of glory is a popular trope.

The best one is still the guy from Kong who holds his grenade or whatever and the monster just slaps him into a mountain where he explodes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's our government being poo poo, not euthanasia being bad

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We offer MAID in place of veterans care as well :barf:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/veterans-affairs-maid-one-employee-1.6774645

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

That mortal kombat reminds me that a couple weeks ago I saw a comment to some 90s euro dance youtube video saying , "oh, the music was so good then, and the video was so good, they don't do it like this nowadays people are just so sensitive, things at my time can be so funny and ageless unlike now" and I was wondering what they could be talking about until towards the end the band members were shown captured by cartoon stereotype tribal cannibals and about to be cooked in a large pot lmao

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That does sound familiar, Dr Jones by Aqua any chance? :v:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Zedd posted:

That was my first thought too but there was almost certainly more than one song that tried some poo poo like that.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zedd posted:

Inceltown posted:

That was my first thought too but there was almost certainly more than one song that tried some poo poo like that.

gfdi, thats 3 guessing dr jones

damnit indy!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol I was trying not to name it to prevent people from getting that earworm stuck in their heads

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Inceltown posted:

Is it OK to take a girl at her word?

Truly baffling that he neither wants to change nor manipulate her.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
in today's woke hellscape aqua could never make it! I bet they can't even tour for fear of riots and being attacked by angry scolds and the softest of softbois

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Lol I was trying not to name it to prevent people from getting that earworm stuck in their heads

well you failed in that regard!

dr jones, dr jones, wake up now... :mad: