Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Hot Wheels at least came with a Hot Wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

TheScott2K posted:

I was a pretty solid Xbone apologist last gen and I ended up with a grand total of 3 physical Xbone games. I have not bought any series X games. If they were like first party Switch games where you could actually play what was on the disc maybe I'd have more, I dunno. They just feel like vouchers you have to fuckin take out of the case every time.

Didn't microsoft have some goofball patent about a process for putting a disc in your series X (one, whatever) and having it authorized for all your consoles such as a series S?

hatty posted:

My disc drive is just used to play my disc copy of Ninja Gaiden 2 and for watching my Sound of Music Bluray. I've never put an actual Series X game in mine

It's a magic gamepass activator.
I caved and bought Jedi Survivor on disc and then bought another series X so my kid won't be in my office yelling at wookies when I'm trying to do stuff and then the next day they were like "yeah so Jedi Survivor on Xbox One and probably gamepass at some point lol".
But that only happens when I spend dumb money, so...

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I play older games every now and then but most of the ones I played I probably could have bought digitally for 3 bucks. I currently only have one physical game: Alien Dark Descent. It's physical because I had it on gamefly and kept it because the price was pretty good. Oh and I have Metal Gear Survive physically but I don't ever play that.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

ColdPie posted:

I've never put a disc in mine.

At least download and launch the Bluray app once to make MS pay for the license.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

I said come in! posted:

They are probably not big on the idea of doing that after trying it with the Xbox 360. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_HD_DVD_Player

i said an external blu-ray drive, not an external betamax drive. HD-DVD big scam. i watch a lot of blu-rays in my series X but i also play a bunch of backwards compatible 360 games with my discs so idk. i think i own borderlands 3 and super monkey ball retail copies and that's about it for actual Series X games, the rest are all old xbone games I bought 5 years ago

e: borderlands 3 is an xbone title with smart delivery so it doesn't even count actually lol

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Physical Xbox games I own:

GTAV
GTAV(series X, got it for $10)
Aliens Isolation (got it for $10)
BF2042 (got it for $20)
Halo MCC (pre gamepass)
BF4 (Bought to upgrade from 360 way back when)
Anthem ($2)

Edit: if I go by the Owned Games tab on my Xbox I am at 235.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 7, 2023

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I can't imagine buying an XBox without a disc drive. I'm sitting at around 175 physical XBox One / Series games going all the way back to Battlefield 4 I got on launch day. Also have 144 Xbox 360 games and a dozen or so original XBox games (need to start collecting those again).

Physical games go on sale faster which means I can buy them and put them in the eternal backlog more quickly.

And then there's the case of watching disc-based movies on it too.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 7, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Beastie posted:

Physical Xbox games I own:

GTAV
GTAV(series X, got it for $10)
Aliens Isolation (got it for $10)
BF2042 (got it for $20)
Halo MCC (pre gamepass)
BF4 (Bought to upgrade from 360 way back when)
Anthem ($2)

Edit: if I go by the Owned Games tab on my Xbox I am at 235.

Still seems like a waste of shelf space to me

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I have that Platinum Transformers game that is pretty sweet.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Feels Villeneuve posted:

why would anyone buy that

I would because I bought a Series S cause it fit my budget better but I've still got quite a few original Xbox and 360 discs lying around and it would be nice to be able to use them, also I've found the Series S works pretty well as a streaming device so being able to play DVDs and Bluray on it would also be nice

Also if Microsoft ever gets around to adding more games to the backwards compatibility list they need to add Dark Sector, more people need to play Warframe's prequel

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
My wife and kids are going on vacation without me next week, which means my son will be taking my Switch. So I will have an abundance of time and no video games to fill it for the first time in 10 years.

Thinking about re-subbing to Game Pass Ultimate to stream to my laptop/iPad etc. When I first tried it last summer the performance was terrible; overall laggy, would constantly load audio only, eventually stopped working altogether.

Has this gotten any better in the last 12 months? FWIW my connection is 330 down, 30 up.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

otter posted:

Didn't microsoft have some goofball patent about a process for putting a disc in your series X (one, whatever) and having it authorized for all your consoles such as a series S?

It's a magic gamepass activator.
I caved and bought Jedi Survivor on disc and then bought another series X so my kid won't be in my office yelling at wookies when I'm trying to do stuff and then the next day they were like "yeah so Jedi Survivor on Xbox One and probably gamepass at some point lol".
But that only happens when I spend dumb money, so...

If you have Game Pass Ultimate, it includes EA access, so you will have access to EA games 6-12 months after release, guaranteed.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Professor Beetus posted:

If you have Game Pass Ultimate, it includes EA access, so you will have access to EA games 6-12 months after release, guaranteed.

Yes, but he didn't want his birthday moved into November.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Sock The Great posted:

My wife and kids are going on vacation without me next week, which means my son will be taking my Switch. So I will have an abundance of time and no video games to fill it for the first time in 10 years.

Thinking about re-subbing to Game Pass Ultimate to stream to my laptop/iPad etc. When I first tried it last summer the performance was terrible; overall laggy, would constantly load audio only, eventually stopped working altogether.

Has this gotten any better in the last 12 months? FWIW my connection is 330 down, 30 up.

Just do it. I‘ve been streaming games like FIST and disc room for the past 6 months or so and it‘s totally fine at least here in central Europe.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I rent 95% of my games so I need the slot.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I have quite a few physical discs. I appreciate them, even if I mostly replay my quick resume games

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I bought loads of 360 games for dirt cheap to play on Series X, it’s cool

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Sock The Great posted:

Streaming really just depends on how good your connection is, not necessarily how fast it is. Mine works perfectly with a 75/25 mbit connection, but I think that’s mostly because I’ve got fibre directly into my apartment and I’m only a few km from where the data centre is (plus I’m pretty sure my isp hosts the local servers).

So if you’re out in the sticks or don’t get a great link to the data centre then it might not work as well.

You might as well give it another try, since a single month is reasonably cheap. Personally my biggest issue with laptop streaming is that it only works when you’ve got a controller plugged in.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My only real problem with xCloud is the video quality. Anything large like a computer monitor or TV you can really tell it’s a stream and it bothered me too much to enjoy. On a smaller screen like a phone or an iPad though it’s great. I’ve never had any input lag issues with it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

drrockso20 posted:

I would because I bought a Series S cause it fit my budget better but I've still got quite a few original Xbox and 360 discs lying around and it would be nice to be able to use them, also I've found the Series S works pretty well as a streaming device so being able to play DVDs and Bluray on it would also be nice

Also if Microsoft ever gets around to adding more games to the backwards compatibility list they need to add Dark Sector, more people need to play Warframe's prequel

But Dark Sector is the worst game ever and I will MMA cage fight to defend that statement.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

otter posted:

Yes, but he didn't want his birthday moved into November.

Wow, spoiled much?

e: I tried to play dark sector once, the PC version, and despite being within five years of release, there were numerous compatibility issues, hosed up resolution support, and in the end I couldn't make the game playable. So if they wanted more people to play the prequel to Warframe they should have made it better.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lammasu posted:

But Dark Sector is the worst game ever and I will MMA cage fight to defend that statement.

I think you're going to need to explain your opinion more because I've always found it to be a pretty fun if admittedly sometimes clunky game

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m playing Morrowind for the first time via gamepass and while this game is great, god drat it’s almost like they went out of their way to make this as unwelcoming as possible for new players. The combat and fatigue system are just brutal. And the game explains nothing.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

sponges posted:

I’m playing Morrowind for the first time via gamepass and while this game is great, god drat it’s almost like they went out of their way to make this as unwelcoming as possible for new players. The combat and fatigue system are just brutal. And the game explains nothing.
someone pointed out recently that your weapon damage range isn't a dice roll, the outcome is entirely determined by how long you "charge" your attack

i definitely had no idea of that back in the day

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I recently got a Series X as a present. It's pretty good, but also besides the extra space it isn't doing a tonne more? The funniest part is my housemate was playing Fallout 4 on the S and it crashed a tonne especially with some mods. The X? Well, it crashes less, but still crashes. What a brilliantly made game lol

I don't even have the S hooked up to a screen or TV, it exists as my in home stream box, and it rules for that. Latency and bandwidth on the local network are good, it streams smoothly and works great. The Series X gets used on the TV, usually for my housemate tbh because I am all around the place doing stuff.

I also run my desktop PC headless and use Parsec to stream it too. I dunno how good streaming outside my house is but it's very unlikely I'm going to be out and needing to game lol

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

drrockso20 posted:

I think you're going to need to explain your opinion more because I've always found it to be a pretty fun if admittedly sometimes clunky game
I thought I made it clear I was going to MMA fight you.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The glaive was cool.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

syntaxfunction posted:

I recently got a Series X as a present. It's pretty good, but also besides the extra space it isn't doing a tonne more? The funniest part is my housemate was playing Fallout 4 on the S and it crashed a tonne especially with some mods. The X? Well, it crashes less, but still crashes. What a brilliantly made game lol

I don't even have the S hooked up to a screen or TV, it exists as my in home stream box, and it rules for that. Latency and bandwidth on the local network are good, it streams smoothly and works great. The Series X gets used on the TV, usually for my housemate tbh because I am all around the place doing stuff.

I also run my desktop PC headless and use Parsec to stream it too. I dunno how good streaming outside my house is but it's very unlikely I'm going to be out and needing to game lol

man, meanwhile on my PC fallout 4 is insanely stable lol.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Oh yeah, on PC it's stable as gently caress even with a bunch of mods. But even without mods it seems to crash on the series xs. It's wild because Skyrim does not exhibit the same weirdness at all, not does Fallout 76 (from the brief amount I tried), it's just FO4 that seems to be poo poo on console.

On the plus side, it's my housemate's problem not mine. I keep suggesting she just uses the PC (it's next to the TV and I can just hook it up) but she's invested into doing it on the Xbox for whatever weird reason.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You should hook it up to the TV and let her enjoy the game that way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Was Serious Sam 4 as good as Siberian Mayhem? I heard it was fairly rough but SM is a blast

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Was Serious Sam 4 as good as Siberian Mayhem? I heard it was fairly rough but SM is a blast

Ss4 is dogshit

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I think I didn't like any of the Serious Sam's. I also don't like the Siberian one, but I only played it for 20 minutes.

I think this was the last one, only UK is left now?

https://twitter.com/klobrille/status/1688777698338832384?s=20

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Siberian Mayhem is basically an officially-endorsed-and-funded fan-made mod of Serious Sam 4 by people who have learned the arcane and mysterious art of Fun Level Design.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Step 739: get final approval
Step 740: Diablo IV on gamepass

Unless there’s a middle step there where I have to buy it first

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

otter posted:

Step 739: get final approval
Step 740: Diablo IV on gamepass

Unless there’s a middle step there where I have to buy it first

Diablo is the 1st game I broke down and bought in over a year. So I got you covered there.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

I can't imagine buying an XBox without a disc drive. I'm sitting at around 175 physical XBox One / Series games going all the way back to Battlefield 4 I got on launch day. Also have 144 Xbox 360 games and a dozen or so original XBox games (need to start collecting those again).

Physical games go on sale faster which means I can buy them and put them in the eternal backlog more quickly.

And then there's the case of watching disc-based movies on it too.

I have a HUGE PS4 physical library (and digital) and getting PS5 games for cheap. I got a Series S because of my big digital 360 library and the small form factor. I like having a disc drive for bluray films too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For sure wait for Diablo IV to come to Game Pass.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The UK will die on the hill of keeping Sekiro off gamepass and its shameful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatty posted:

The UK will die

:pray: