Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GodFish posted:

I think Tosh's next mission is the most fun in the entire WoL campaign. Naturally I voted for more protoss.

bladededge posted:

you need a break for something fun before more The (Character) Assassination of Zeratul by the Coward Activision-Blizzard.

the duality of voting in LPs

I, of course, voted protoss. mostly to get it out of the way so votes going forward can be between more fun options. or potentially fun. whatever.

e: what a terrible snipe. uhhhhhhhhh..... the Hercules appeals to me conceptually so much because airdropping a squad to just shred something behind the defensive line is just so satisfying, so if possible please do that? yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The problem with the protoss missions is that the other missions don't alter them at all, and meanwhile the protoss missions objectively make you stronger for those other missions. Incredibly so when you consider that they basically cap out your research. It basically makes it much harder on yourself not to blitz them all at once, which is an interesting dichotomy with every other plot line where there's mandatory waiting at some point to force you to look at the other mission lines.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

The problem with the protoss missions is that the other missions don't alter them at all, and meanwhile the protoss missions objectively make you stronger for those other missions. Incredibly so when you consider that they basically cap out your research. It basically makes it much harder on yourself not to blitz them all at once, which is an interesting dichotomy with every other plot line where there's mandatory waiting at some point to force you to look at the other mission lines.

It is for this reason that several campaign mods forcibly spread them out, requiring you to do other missions in between Zeratul missions.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hey Stetmann, I stared into the magic rock for an hour and it told me how we can fully streamline our gas production

have you heard of these things called..."ro-bots"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hwurmp posted:

Hey Stetmann, I stared into the magic rock for an hour and it told me how we can fully streamline our gas production

have you heard of these things called..."ro-bots"

Well, Stetmann's magic space rock is helping* the dude with his protoss research so it's plausible Zeratul's magic space rock joined on a conference call.

*probably more "forking over blueprints" when it's been entertained by the ape's antics enough

I got nothing on the Zerg research

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Torrannor posted:

Isn't there like a time limit on one of the missions?

Specifically the terran refugees mission? Iirc, there will be something bad happening if you wait to do it too long. Will that also happen if we "waste" time with the protoss crystal?

The bad thing happens based on your decision to cleanse or protect the refugees once you actually get into the mission.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Going for Jailbreak

This is for our buddy locked in armor!

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Pieces of Peace posted:

The bad thing happens based on your decision to cleanse or protect the refugees once you actually get into the mission.

Essentially Whichever decision you make, the narrative will adapt to make sure it was the correct one.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

kaosdrachen posted:

Essentially Whichever decision you make, the narrative will adapt to make sure it was the correct one.

I would argue against that, actually:

Tosh in the Nova timeline wasn't planning on betraying Raynor, he just wanted to make more Specters to oppose Mengsk with and Raynor's objection to that is that Specters are "unstable". That's kind of a stupid thing to be upset about when the vast majority of the Terran infantry are former criminals that have been brainwashed on some level. ohhhh noooo, specters sometimes go crazy and kill everything around them. You know who else has done that? Marines. Reapers. Firebats. Marauders. Even the loving Medivac has a blurb about how a pilot got so pissed over some light teasing that she killed two people. On top of all that, Heart of the Swarm effectively calls you an idiot for siding with Nova because she shows up with a squad of Specters in tow, proving that the Dominion is still fully willing to use them despite their risks (again, just like any other Terran infantry).

Even without foreknowledge, there's no good reason to make that decision.

Kith fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 3, 2024

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

How ya like my groove, Daggoth?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Also, I just want to mention that I really do appreciate the steady uptick in voter counts as time goes on.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the sooner we have uncovered all of the stone's secrets, the sooner we can forget its missions

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kith posted:

the sooner we have uncovered all of the stone's secrets, the sooner we can forget its missions

:hai:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I gave it some thought and I am okay with the story changing to justify your choice.

I mean it's lovely, but the reality is that if one choice is the "correct" one, players will keep picking it, and Blizzard absolutely does not (and did not) have the writing chops to pull off writing two choices that are both about the same mix of good and bad.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Xarn posted:

I gave it some thought and I am okay with the story changing to justify your choice.

I mean it's lovely, but the reality is that if one choice is the "correct" one, players will keep picking it, and Blizzard absolutely does not (and did not) have the writing chops to pull off writing two choices that are both about the same mix of good and bad.

And even with decent writing chops, reasonable (and unreasonable!) people can disagree which choice was overall better, in which choice the good outweighed the bad and vice versa.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'd argue that the colony choice is fairly well-written in terms of being equally good and bad. There are decent reasons to pick either option, and they both have downsides.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

IIRC (Tosh stuff) siding with him is the unambiguous correct choice; if you talk to Hansen after doing the Nova version, she tells you that, surprise, Nova was lying to you about the extent of the instability of the Spectres

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Stares disapprovingly at all these people discussing stuff that will be covered in the LP that we haven't gotten to yet

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Stares disapprovingly at all these people discussing stuff that will be covered in the LP that we haven't gotten to yet

Stares disapprovingly at not reading the OP's spoiler policy, which folks have been abiding by just fine

BisbyWorl posted:

Spoiler Policy

Anything in SC1 and any sidestories that take place before SC2 are fine, anything we haven't reached in-game should be spoiler tagged.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Torrannor posted:

And even with decent writing chops, reasonable (and unreasonable!) people can disagree which choice was overall better, in which choice the good outweighed the bad and vice versa.

That's exactly what you want to achieve with the options though.

The issue is that if you take the (spoilers for upcoming choice) colony choice, and fix one of the possible outcomes, then only one of the options is good.. By making the outcome change so that your choice was always the correct one, you get around that, even if it is lovely writing.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Xarn posted:

By making the outcome change so that your choice was always the correct one, you get around that, even if it is lovely writing.

I feel that's just a massive cop-out though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kith posted:

I'd argue that the colony choice is fairly well-written in terms of being equally good and bad. There are decent reasons to pick either option, and they both have downsides.

What's the downside to blasting a bunch of zerg mutants and getting the weird, quasi romance doctor lady off your ship?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

FoolyCharged posted:

What's the downside to blasting a bunch of zerg mutants and getting the weird, quasi romance doctor lady off your ship?

Having to pay the janitor overtime to clean out the lab afterwards :v:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

the choice lets you as player decide the tone of the subplot and campaign - is this a story where the good guys always win in the end and everything's very simple and clean, or is it a moodier story where results are more mixed and utopia is always another step over the horizon

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's probably going to be more fun to discuss the choice once we have seen the choice. It's not against thread rules or anything but it's pretty pointless to talk about things we'll actually see later.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That's why we need the next update, because so far, the Protoss missions haven't been too bad so far. But boy do we have things to discuss after the next mission.

Though I will be honest, I've always had a soft spot for the fourth mission, which is imho really cool the first time you play it, and remains pretty cool even on second playthroughs.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Kith posted:

I would argue against that, actually:

Tosh in the Nova timeline wasn't planning on betraying Raynor, he just wanted to make more Specters to oppose Mengsk with and Raynor's objection to that is that Specters are "unstable". That's kind of a stupid thing to be upset about when the vast majority of the Terran infantry are former criminals that have been brainwashed on some level. ohhhh noooo, specters sometimes go crazy and kill everything around them. You know who else has done that? Marines. Reapers. Firebats. Marauders. Even the loving Medivac has a blurb about how a pilot got so pissed over some light teasing that she deliberately crashed her craft with no survivors. On top of all that, Heart of the Swarm effectively calls you an idiot for siding with Nova because she shows up with a squad of Specters in tow, proving that the Dominion is still fully willing to use them despite their risks (again, just like any other Terran infantry).

Even without foreknowledge, there's no good reason to make that decision.

:actually: HOTS and LOTV make it canonical that Raynor helped Tosh instead of Nova, so the Spectres existing is actually because of Raynor! The general implication is that the Dominion was always gonna use Spectres anyway, this was just Nova's personal objection to try and keep the Dominion from having another weapon. And then it turns out that a significant number of them joined the Moebius Foundation!
:goonsay:

That's right! It's all bad!

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Torrannor posted:

That's why we need the next update, because so far, the Protoss missions haven't been too bad so far. But boy do we have things to discuss after the next mission.

Though I will be honest, I've always had a soft spot for the fourth mission, which is imho really cool the first time you play it, and remains pretty cool even on second playthroughs.

Really, the last Protoss mission has always been the most tedious for me. Once you learn how to cheese it, it just becomes a waiting game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Torchlighter posted:

:actually: HOTS and LOTV make it canonical that Raynor helped Tosh instead of Nova, so the Spectres existing is actually because of Raynor! The general implication is that the Dominion was always gonna use Spectres anyway, this was just Nova's personal objection to try and keep the Dominion from having another weapon. And then it turns out that a significant number of them joined the Moebius Foundation!

>Acktchuallying your Acktchually

Heart of the Swarm actually changes relevant dialogue to reflect your choice in Wings of Liberty - if you sided with Nova, she will thank Raynor for helping with her Tosh problem, but state she still has a mission here. Then later, Horner will offer to have one of the Raiders' Ghost operatives infiltrate instead of Tosh offering. It's only Legacy of the Void's Epilogue that confirms Raynor's choice, by giving him Spectres instead of Ghosts. Spectres show up no matter what you do; all siding with Nova accomplishes is kill off Tosh, and end his partnership with Raynor.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

FoolyCharged posted:

Raynor's forces kill ALL of the colonists, even the ones that aren't actively infested, because Blizzard wanted to mirror WC3's Culling of Stratholme. Also, Hanson's infestation happens because she injects herself with a prototype cure in a desperate attempt to stop the slaughter by proving the cure's effects. The alternative is fighting and killing a bunch of friendly Protoss who are just trying to do their jobs, which also sucks.

It's one of the few pieces of good writing in SC2.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Torchlighter posted:

BlazetheInferno posted:

>Acktchuallying your Acktchually

Heart of the Swarm actually changes relevant dialogue to reflect your choice in Wings of Liberty - if you sided with Nova, she will thank Raynor for helping with her Tosh problem, but state she still has a mission here. Then later, Horner will offer to have one of the Raiders' Ghost operatives infiltrate instead of Tosh offering. It's only Legacy of the Void's Epilogue that confirms Raynor's choice, by giving him Spectres instead of Ghosts. Spectres show up no matter what you do; all siding with Nova accomplishes is kill off Tosh, and end his partnership with Raynor.

Neither of you are wrong, there's just a bug.
As far as I can tell, the checks in HotS check for mission completion. The problem with this is that if you also play the alternate mission from the Misson Select, both mission are completed - in which case the Tosh version takes precedence.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
I think the thread is about five layers deep in Actuallys right now, can we get a sixth

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

actually it's eight layers

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

bladededge posted:

I think the thread is about five layers deep in Actuallys right now, can we get a sixth

I could, but the first aksually was literally for the comedy of 'Blizzard tries to write it so that whatever choice you make is correct --> Blizzards subsequent writing means no matter what choice you made it's actually bad', and it feels too much like actually buying in to continue. Suffice it to say that Blizzard writing is a special beast that can never really be approached from a single direction other than 'it's bad', but even then it can be different flavours of bad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I make my choice purely based on which unit I like more.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I make my choice purely based on which unit I like more.

i go for the one with the cooler name

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Hwurmp posted:

actually it's eight layers

Should start playing "Non, je ne Regrette Rien" so we can start kicking our way out.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I bring gifts! Remember when I said this?

Kith posted:

That's Nova. Many of the game's doodads imply that she dances in her off-time.

Because loving Blizzard.

I made a note to revisit that and edit in proof but forgot to, so I'm doing that now!

The SuperNova Men's Club dancing hologram uses Nova's model, and it's implied that the SuperNova dancer is, in fact, Nova herself. There's also the Hologram Dancer unit that was added later and uses Nova's model and has some... animations.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
One of future missions has sign that has Polish flag on it, of all things, and "Żywią Y Bronią" which is garbled Polish for "to feed and to protect".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I always wondered what the gently caress that was about. Explains why the guy on the billboard has a scythe, I guess.