Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's giving up custody 80% of the time. Wouldn't that mean a judge decided he was unfit or he didn't make an effort for a 50/50 split?
As somebody growing up in basically that same arrangement (every other weekend, half of the vacations):
I could just do my normal mon-friday routine and then spend the weekend at (mom's)home or dad's home. I'm really glad I didn't have to fully split or alternate my schoolweek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

An oxy moron would also feel at home in FL

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I had to alternate my school weeks when I was a kid and it loving sucked & also even made studying difficult because both of my parents had vastly different rules about computer usage at a time where getting good at being a computer toucher was setting myself up for success

The first moment I could I asked to stay with one parent full time

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not switching a movie to accommodate my son's friend?

quote:

So my 16-year-old son “Josh” was having a movie night with three friends the other day. One of the boys “Matt” is new, I haven't seen him too many times before so I don't know that much about him except that he's slightly younger than most of my son's friends. Anyway, the movies Josh and the other boys wanted to watch were horror or superhero themed. Apparently Matt tried to come up with some other movie genres/ideas but was shut down.

I'm making some hot dogs in the kitchen, and Matt comes in looking kind of sheepish. I ask him what's up and he says he's really scared to watch the movies Josh and the other boys want to see because he has epilepsy and a lot of the films they chose have strobe light / flashing light sequences. I said why not just tell them, and he said he was very afraid that once they knew, they were going to try to trigger him on purpose “for the lols.” Now I know my son like the back of my hand, he would never do anything like that. I tried to reassure Matt of this but he just shook his head and basically begged me to switch just one movie so he could watch it with them and then he'd leave early (his logic being that if they didn't listen to him about it, they'd defer to my authority).

I thought about it, but had to say no because I doubted my son and his friends would agree to just switch the movie without a good reason being provided. I suggested to Matt that if he really didn't feel safe telling them to just close his eyes if he suspected a strobe / flash scene was coming up, and that if he still didn't feel safe he could just go home.

I guess Matt decided it wasn't that big of a deal after all because he went back in there and didn't complain. But when my wife got home and I told her about how the day went, she was appalled that I didn't switch the movie or confront our son about how they were treating Matt. I told her it was no big deal and that the day went fine, the guys are old enough to handle conflicts on their own. She disagreed and won't back down on this issue. I think I did fine tbh, like I said no harm was done and I don't believe in getting in between my kids' conflicts with their friends. AITA?

AITA for buying my daughter a wildly inappropriate shirt

quote:

Yesterday my partner (50m) and I (45f) took our daughter (7f) to the state fair. While waiting on line for a ride I noticed a vendor selling shirts. I remarked to my partner that the one shirt that said "I <3 hot moms" on the back and "I love MILFS" on the front in smaller letters was offered in kids sizes and i found that weird because it's not appropriate at all for a kid to wear. He immediately started laughing and said that was great and that if he had seen that when the boys were like 8 (he has step kids from a prior relationship) he totally would have gotten them one. I asked if he was kidding and really found that appropriate for a small kid to be wearing and he replied yes, still laughing about it. I then mentioned they had a "I love hot dads" in the same sizes and would that be great on Daughter? He got quiet and replied "yes". But went back to how funny it would be for a little boy and laughed about it for a few more minutes and even took a picture of it.

Later when we were getting ready to leave I said I had to use the bathrooms but went and actually bought one of the "I love Hot Dads/I love DILFS in our daughter's size. PLEASE NOTE: I HAD NO INTENTION OF OUR DAUGHTER WEARING THIS SHIRT OR EVEN TELLING HER ABOUT IT. I WAS TRYING TO PROVE A POINT.

When we met back up, waited till daughter was distracted and i tossed the shirt over and said "got that shirt you liked for Daughter" and all of sudden he no longer found that shirt funny AT ALL and he immediately found the closest trash can and threw it away (which is fine, that's where it was going anyway).

He was super grumpy on the way home and after Daughter went to bed said i was wrong to buy it because it's not cute for girls. I flat out told him he could either admit he was wrong about the shirt not being cute for kids or i was ordering it off Amazon for Daughter and sending her to school in it. He finally relented that the shirt wasn't cute for kids but said there was no reason for me to prove my point the way i did and waste money.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 7, 2023

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I had to alternate my school weeks when I was a kid and it loving sucked & also even made studying difficult because both of my parents had vastly different rules about computer usage at a time where getting good at being a computer toucher was setting myself up for success

The first moment I could I asked to stay with one parent full time

my parents didnt split up til i was 17 so i never had to deal with any of that custody poo poo, but i think if i had to do it all again, i'd ask them to just put me in a basket and yeet me down the loving river aged 0

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pfft, it's only a seizure, just power through it, kid :jerkbag:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for buying my daughter a wildly inappropriate shirt

:allears:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Captain Hygiene posted:

"My precious boy would never do this anyway!"

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not switching a movie to accommodate my son's friend?

dad of the year, after the 15th straight weekend attending back-to-back funerals of the children under his care: "drat there are some irresponsible parents out there. imagine knowing your kid has a deadly peanut allergy but not thinking to train him to detect the peanuts i keep slipping into his cereal. shameful"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Captain Hygiene posted:

If he's not going to speak up for himself and doesn't trust his friends to not intentionally trigger him given the information then he should leave. That's good advice.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Kurieg posted:

If he's not going to speak up for himself and doesn't trust his friends to not intentionally trigger him given the information then he should leave. That's good advice.

kid is hanging out with a group of new 16 year old male friends who are sufficiently older than him to warrant mentioning and goes to an adult to ask for help, who tells him to man up and "if it were that big a deal, you'd do something about it yourself"

explain where the OP is qualified to give literally any advice at all, other than maybe "i advise you not to leave your children unattended near me because i am a lethally negligent caregiver"

e: oh wait i guess maybe you were being sarcastic

boofhead fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 7, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

carrionman posted:

When I bought my place it had:

Robin's egg blue toilet, bath and sinks.
People now pay major bucks for surviving pastel-colored bathroom sets, so they can install them in their own homes. As the song goes, "Everything old is new again."

https://www.periodbath.com/antique-...leg-sink-1.html
Don't you just want to chuck it under its little cast-iron chin and call it Sweetie?

There was an amazing store in the LA area that carried vintage plumbing stuff, a fair amount of it for rent to Hollywood for set dressing. Wish I could still find it; it had outrageous stuff.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Arsenic Lupin posted:

People now pay major bucks for surviving pastel-colored bathroom sets, so they can install them in their own homes. As the song goes, "Everything old is new again."

https://www.periodbath.com/antique-...leg-sink-1.html
Don't you just want to chuck it under its little cast-iron chin and call it Sweetie?

There was an amazing store in the LA area that carried vintage plumbing stuff, a fair amount of it for rent to Hollywood for set dressing. Wish I could still find it; it had outrageous stuff.

In my parent's house, there is a mid-1860's toilet called "volcania" which still has it's original wide wooden seat. In the same bathroom, there's a sink called "the oceanic"

fake edit: I was just trying find an image of one, and discovered that "volcania" toilets were a whole thing

https://capturingcambridge.org/museum-of-cambridge/museum-exhibit-stories/whats-in-a-toilet-the-volcania-washdown-closet/

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

boofhead posted:

kid is hanging out with a group of new 16 year old male friends who are sufficiently older than him to warrant mentioning and goes to an adult to ask for help, who tells him to man up and "if it were that big a deal, you'd do something about it yourself"

explain where the OP is qualified to give literally any advice at all, other than maybe "i advise you not to leave your children unattended near me because i am a lethally negligent caregiver"

e: oh wait i guess maybe you were being sarcastic
He wanted the dad to change the movies but not tell the 16 year olds about the seizure disorder. Running to someone else's dad and making them change things so you get your way would get that kid bullied just as hard if not harder. That's why I was saying "if you're with a group of people you don't trust not to hurt you, you should leave" being good advice at least in this case, even if the dad was contributing to the lack of safety.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Runcible Cat posted:

Suburban Black Ops would be a terrific username.

I kinda agree with the dude that it's common courtesy to leave the spot in front of your neighbour's house free, on my street growing up, all the teenagers parked our hoopties at the end of the block in front of a little penninsula with no houses on it, it was like a 45 second walk.

That doesn't give you the right to commit crimes, though, and I'd love to watch her insurance company's lawyers play the video of OP trying to do Unconventional Suburban Warfare in court.

Biplane posted:

An oxy moron would also feel at home in FL

I really want to be on the side of the person who doesn't want to move to FL, but, welp.

vvv Lol, good job dood. Why do so many of these people planning weddings not seem to even know each other?

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 7, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pookah posted:

In my parent's house, there is a mid-1860's toilet called "volcania" which still has it's original wide wooden seat. In the same bathroom, there's a sink called "the oceanic"

fake edit: I was just trying find an image of one, and discovered that "volcania" toilets were a whole thing

https://capturingcambridge.org/museum-of-cambridge/museum-exhibit-stories/whats-in-a-toilet-the-volcania-washdown-closet/
Wow, that's pretty! Although I agree with the article that "volcania" is not something I want anywhere near my naughty bits.
AITA for assuming my fiancee wants to exclude my daughter?

quote:

in my defense I have been in reddit and this sub for a long time, I've been reading stories about evil stepmoms trying to exclude their stepkids and I was very worried that my future wife would be this way.

anyway we were planning our wedding, I have an 11 yo daughter and I suggested that she should be our flower girl. my fiancee said "no I don't think she should be the flower girl, I want my cousin to be flower girl" and that's when I lost it. I told her to don't even think about excluding my child and if she ever does that then the wedding will be canceled. I told her that my child will always come first and if she wants to be flower girl she will be the flower girl whether my fiancee likes it or not.

she was looking at me bewildered the whole time and then she started to yell at me asking me wtf is wrong with me and telling me to let her finish her fcking sentence. apparently she thinks my daughter is too old to be flower girl which is why she wanted to make her a junior bridesmaid instead.

I tried to apologize but she didn't listen to me and just left. I know I overreacted but I was just trying to be a good dad and I think she was overreacting too couldn't she just calmly explain this to me instead of turning it into a fight?

Declension:
I lose it
You are being aggressive
He, she, or they is yelling at me

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

george costanza over here

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for adding my initials to a tattoo I did on my boyfriend.

quote:

My boyfriend and I do amateur tattoo work on each other and on friends. My boyfriend gave me a sketch of the latest one he wanted and it was pretty intricate and was going to be a lot of work. So I added my initials to it. Just a little CQ added into the art. I didn't think he would see them but he did and he is pissed off at me. He said I broke his trust and he doesn't know if he will let me tattoo him again.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Declension:
I lose it
You are being aggressive
He, she, or they is yelling at me

This can't possibly be real.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dear reddit, first of all I should state that my mind has been reddit-poisoned. Anyway,

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

This can't possibly be real.

Nah when I was in the final months of my last relationship, my ex got super mad at me because I said I'd have to figure out some alternate arrangement for working from home while his kids were on break. Which, obviously, I meant that I would take my own self somewhere else, or something. But he somehow interpreted it to mean that I was telling him I didn't want his kids in the house. Some people make it a personality trait to get overly defensive about their kids.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

boofhead posted:

my parents didnt split up til i was 17 so i never had to deal with any of that custody poo poo, but i think if i had to do it all again, i'd ask them to just put me in a basket and yeet me down the loving river aged 0
I did go through it and yeah, poo poo sucked hard and affected both me and my brother's ability to have relationships for life.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
gonna be honest, the split custody thing does seem like it's a system made to satisfy the parents, not the kids.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Some people make it a personality trait to get overly defensive about their kids.

While not ideal, this is to be vastly preferred over the reverse.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

While not ideal, this is to be vastly preferred over the reverse.

Yes, this is true. Heart's in roughly the right place with regards to the kids, but in my experience it can be pretty detrimental for trying to form other relationships. But I'm definitely not saying to swing way in the other direction to compensate.

In conclusion, children are a land of contrasts.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Pookah posted:

I'm not sure how much I'd trust flushing a toilet named "volcania"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Didn't some rightwinger claim to have a patent for a toilet for men with big set of dick and balls?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

gonna be honest, the split custody thing does seem like it's a system made to satisfy the parents, not the kids.

Like all custody things, you only hear about the horrible disasters and you don't hear about semi-functional people doing their best. That said, yes because parents are the ones with lawyers while the kids are stuck with a guardian ad litem, who is generally kind of useless.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Didn't some rightwinger claim to have a patent for a toilet for men with big set of dick and balls?

I believe that was a trump acting attorney general

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think it was in the recent Rudy Giuliani transcripts.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Consummate Professional posted:

I believe that was a trump acting attorney general

"The Story of Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker and the Big Dick Toilet."

Lmao

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
50/50 custody works fine, I have no memory of my parents living together. I now now that there was some animosity between them when I was younger but they had the decency not to let me notice. Now they are buds but have new partners

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My house's original bathroom had avocado green fixtures, pink cupboards, teal walls, and black tile trim. I regret not getting any photos of it before stuff started getting replaced.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Eh, it's gonna suck for the kids regardless. The alternative is an even nastier legal battle after their parents split because now it's a tooth and nail struggle to remain in your kids life at all. Or the kid being forcibly stripped away from the people you love by the state. Or parents staying together despite their hostility making their home toxic for them and their kid because otherwise they lose someone they love.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
A guy broke up with me because my favorite rapper is Left Eye???

quote:

So I [20f] have been going out with a guy [Let's call him Derek] who is 22 years old. We've only went out 2 times and each date went fine. Not great, not bad, it was more like "well, we enjoy each other's company so we'll see where this goes". Both dates we went Dutch. We never slept with each other either as I'm not the type of girl to sleep on the first date.

On the third date he took me out to an Israeli restaurant and said that this time he will pay for the both of us, which made me think that he really likes me and is finally showing signs of chivalry. Somewhere halfway through our meal, he asked me who is my favorite rapper. I replied "Left Eye." He abruptly stopped eating and said "you like that crazy woman?" I said yes and what about it.. He replied "If she's your fave, then how do I know you won't burn my house down??"

I was STUNNED. I said "You do know she did that because he cheated on her, right? Are you saying you'll cheat on me?" He said that the cheating part is irrelevant, that it's the fact that she burned his house down. So I asked him who is HIS favorite rapper and he said Dr. Dre. That's where I asked "So how do I know you won't push me down the stairs or beat me ?"

And he in all seriousness said that just because he listens to Dr. Dre doesn't mean he's a woman abuser.... I just asked the waiter if they could wrap my food up to go and I left the restaurant. Right before I left, he said that he's glad he never had sex with me and that I'll be lucky enough to end up with some beta bitch.

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 7, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Good move, he sounds like a scrub

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
That is a fake story that is clearly written by a millennial in their mid 30s because there’s no loving way this argument happened between two zoomers

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, there's only one reasonable course of action at that point:

Burn his house down.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Evil Willow posted:

A guy broke up with me because my favorite rapper is Left Eye???

If the ages in this story are correct, Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes died before this woman was born.

Which is fine, you are allowed to like old singers. But she also died the year the boyfriend was born, so for him to immediately equate Left Eye with "that crazy woman" is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

^^^ :argh: ^^^

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

That is a fake story that is clearly written by a millennial in their mid 30s because there’s no loving way this argument happened between two zoomers

You're not kidding, Lisa Lopes died before OP claims to be born.

Updating with more appropriate ages does make it funnier

quote:

So I [40f] have been going out with a guy [Let's call him Derek] who is 42 years old. We've only went out 2 times and each date went fine. Not great, not bad, it was more like "well, we enjoy each other's company so we'll see where this goes". Both dates we went Dutch. We never slept with each other either as I'm not the type of girl to sleep on the first date.

On the third date he took me out to an Israeli restaurant and said that this time he will pay for the both of us, which made me think that he really likes me and is finally showing signs of chivalry. Somewhere halfway through our meal, he asked me who is my favorite rapper. I replied "Left Eye." He abruptly stopped eating and said "you like that crazy woman?" I said yes and what about it.. He replied "If she's your fave, then how do I know you won't burn my house down??"

I was STUNNED. I said "You do know she did that because he cheated on her, right? Are you saying you'll cheat on me?" He said that the cheating part is irrelevant, that it's the fact that she burned his house down. So I asked him who is HIS favorite rapper and he said Dr. Dre. That's where I asked "So how do I know you won't push me down the stairs or beat me ?"

And he in all seriousness said that just because he listens to Dr. Dre doesn't mean he's a woman abuser.... I just asked the waiter if they could wrap my food up to go and I left the restaurant. Right before I left, he said that he's glad he never had sex with me and that I'll be lucky enough to end up with some beta bitch.