Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

well the west is currently working on the belief that Russia has lost almost all their active T-72B3's and like half of their T-90's so as long as they can keep the illusion going then there's nothing to worry about

BAE is not making any new 105mm or 155mm guns though, they're waiting for massive orders to ensure it's profitable, so it's not continuous low-rate production like the Russians do.

e: and then, like the Australian shipyards, they lay off their workforce when an order finishes so that there's no skilled and experienced labour that can demand higher wages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/narrative_hole/status/1688183706228248576?s=20

If you have to smuggle in shotgun shells with candy wrappers, then it's over. How many man hours went into individually unwrapping two shells at a time?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you have to smuggle in shotgun shells with candy wrappers, then it's over. How many man hours went into individually unwrapping two shells at a time?

how many man hours went into wrapping them even

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The only reason I can think of for doing that is if they're afraid some other unit is going to steal their supplies before it gets to them but I feel like that concern would be equally valid for the candy bars you disguised them as.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Disguising my bullets as candy corn to make sure they reach the front undisturbed.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

how many man hours went into wrapping them even

they probably were feeding shells into a chute for the wrapping machine

Thoguh posted:

The only reason I can think of for doing that is if they're afraid some other unit is going to steal their supplies before it gets to them but I feel like that concern would be equally valid for the candy bars you disguised them as.

Allegedly it's because of the grain deal. Ammo has to be disguised as food aid before it reached Odessa.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Thoguh posted:

Disguising my bullets as candy corn to make sure they reach the front undisturbed.

lmao

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
They also seem to only have one knife that they have to share.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1688614752803565568
https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1688618499399139329

oh the USA has way less tanks and ifvs in comparison to the Russians

also artillery too

Supposedly, they have been taking M1s and their turbine engines from stockpiles as well which makes sense in context.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:00 on Aug 7, 2023

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1688348555549843456

i think it's the much advertised pr push doing nothing

So it's exactly like Nixon's moment but they forgot to time it with the 2024 elections.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bar Crow posted:

They also seem to only have one knife that they have to share.

refusal to move on from Soviet doctrine smh

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

why do they even need to smuggle them to begin with

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

BAE is not making any new 105mm or 155mm guns though, they're waiting for massive orders to ensure it's profitable, so it's not continuous low-rate production like the Russians do.

e: and then, like the Australian shipyards, they lay off their workforce when an order finishes so that there's no skilled and experienced labour that can demand higher wages.

From a number point of view, the only countries which could have a running artillery production at low rate non-stop are the US, China and Russia imo. Any other counties which produce artillery guns are totally dependent on foreign orders. France, the UK and Germany for example don't have a big enough artillery park to "sustain" an industry by itself. The EU together could have a joint venture I guess but it won't happen because each countries will want to keep it even if it means it all ends up in massive wasteful industry which always starts and stop depending on orders wasting the experienced workforce each cycle.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

supersnowman posted:

From a number point of view, the only countries which could have a running artillery production at low rate non-stop are the US, China and Russia imo. Any other counties which produce artillery guns are totally dependent on foreign orders. France, the UK and Germany for example don't have a big enough artillery park to "sustain" an industry by itself. The EU together could have a joint venture I guess but it won't happen because each countries will want to keep it even if it means it all ends up in massive wasteful industry which always starts and stop depending on orders wasting the experienced workforce each cycle.

I can totally see the EU doing something that would give each member state a different role in the assembly process

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well it's like France could either ask NEXTER to produce LG1, a useful lightweight gun, or CAESAR, a truck with a gun on it. They chose the one that fit with market trends, the gun-on-truck fad of the past decade, so no 105mm for anyone, since BAE stopped making L/M 118 too.

They apparently couldn't move FAMAS production to a different plant either, which makes me think that the amount of facilities they have left has got to be miniscule.
e: the AA-52 machine gun too.

They must have shuttered a tonne of factories if all of these are either/or.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:35 on Aug 7, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

lack of action in ukraine getting you down? how about raising the stakes for yourself by participating in my contest to guess whether the ukraine war or the hollywood strike ends first

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4038791

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

lol at the concept of EU joint military ventures, they took two decades to design a new helicopter and when it finally went into production it was so bad it ended up getting shitcanned.

EDIT: technically a NATO venture but w/e

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

supersnowman posted:

https://twitter.com/thouse_opinions/status/1683408517833834496?s=20

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

yellowcar posted:

why do they even need to smuggle them to begin with

hiding military imports going through odessa? best i can think of :shrug:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I wouldn't think there's any reason to import arms through Odessa though. There's a whole Polish border that's completely open. Meanwhile, smuggling in arms disguised as food through the Black Sea just proves that Russia was completely correct to back out of the grain deal.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Going up against a professional army with a few day's training and a gun that I barely know how to fire is the sort of poo poo I experience in my anxiety dreams. Must be a lot worse when it's happening to you for real.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's only a matter of time before they realize this will increase the price of the weapons they can no longer produce.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Megamissen posted:

hiding military imports going through odessa? best i can think of :shrug:

But the grain deal is dead, why would it matter? Unless its still.stuff from weeks ago

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

they probably were feeding shells into a chute for the wrapping machine

Allegedly it's because of the grain deal. Ammo has to be disguised as food aid before it reached Odessa.

Seems like a bad idea to record yourself confirming the thing Russia was claiming you were doing, but I guess it doesn't matter now that the grain deal is null.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

supersnowman posted:

You're leaving out the Koreas. DPRK has the second biggest tube artillery park in the world and I think SK and the PRC are near parity for the third and fourth ranked slots.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

1stGear posted:

I wouldn't think there's any reason to import arms through Odessa though. There's a whole Polish border that's completely open. Meanwhile, smuggling in arms disguised as food through the Black Sea just proves that Russia was completely correct to back out of the grain deal.

It amazes me that western media management is so bad that Russia can accuse the west of (X), the west denies (X). Then the west boasts publicly about doing (X) in speeches, social media, post videos of them doing (X) etc. Every time.

The ammo in the food shipments is just the most recent example.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Everyone is assuming they are unpacking smuggled ammo. What are they saying in the video? Maybe they're wondering why all their candy is shotgun shells.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

speng31b posted:

idk, but my recommendation is they don't post anymore stuff like that itt without quotes to back it up

I believe they were referring to this post, which while it definitely does not say that, is somewhat questionable imo.

DancingShade posted:

Sure but arguably any culture that easily subverted was always going to get washed away by history, one way or another. It's as much a mercy kill or euthenasia for as it is colonialism.

I make no statement about whether it's an improvement though.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

1stGear posted:

It's way cheaper to ship stuff overseas than over land. Plus they've got other problems like the Russians bombing out their rail network.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Weka posted:

You're leaving out the Koreas. DPRK has the second biggest tube artillery park in the world and I think SK and the PRC are near parity for the third and fourth ranked slots.

You are totally right. The Koreas would also be able to sustain an artillery industry.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Everyone is assuming they are unpacking smuggled ammo. What are they saying in the video? Maybe they're wondering why all their candy is shotgun shells.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Weka posted:

I believe they were referring to this post, which while it definitely does not say that, is somewhat questionable imo.

i believe the intent was to lament the way that the US has had complete success in subverting their culture and turning them into gladio 2.0 in less than a decade. It would seem to indicate that there were a lot of contradictions and insecurities already present and all the US had to do was apply some pressure and suddenly it turns out Ukraine has always actually been European and not like those dirty asians, which those horrible Russians totally are. Now they're stuck wanting to revive Galacia but also being incredibly attached to 'Ukraine' which has 5000 years of history. Something has got to give.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

was Russia at the Saudi peace talks ??

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

artillery wins battles
logi wins wars

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

euphronius posted:

was Russia at the Saudi peace talks ??

Nope, which is what makes it extra funny; with no opposing voice at their fake peace talks they still couldn't settle on a joint statement. Saudi Arabia is just not interested in playing along.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

supersnowman posted:

You are totally right. The Koreas would also be able to sustain an artillery industry.

Juche spirit!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the destruction of alderaan was not as bad as the holodomor: discuss

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Iirc the story behind that is actually kind of cool: the government's pet nazis pushed the mayor to take down the Lenin statue, so instead the mayor decided to have a cheap lovely shell of something extremely tacky built around it, so that it can be removed if a sane government suddenly manifests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

the destruction of alderaan was not as bad as the holodomor: discuss

The Alderaanians had it coming, all they had to do was tell Lord Vader where the rebel base is.