Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I tried Fan Control and haven't had any problems with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rheostats in the 5 1/4" fan control bay doesn't require any software.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rexxed posted:

Baybus, now we're talking

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rexxed posted:

Rheostats in the what now? I'm afraid those aren't in (m)any modern cases.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My AMD Athlon system with the 80x38 mm Sunon screamer fan had a Vantec Nexus drive bay controller. Man that fan was loud, but when turned down, not too bad. Someone figured out how to make heatpipes pretty soon afterwards, though.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

repiv posted:

no you don't, there's a special case for borderless windows

i only have fullscreen gsync enabled and i can see VRR working on the monitor OSD in borderless games

oh for real? I'm going to try that then

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kibner posted:

Rheostats in the what now? I'm afraid those aren't in (m)any modern cases.
I remember when someone, maybe from HardOCP, sold a baybus where you had to drill holes in your own front plate to install it. I think I got one back in like 2001?

I loved the DIY scene back then but fan curves are better.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Josh Lyman posted:

I remember when someone, maybe from HardOCP, sold a baybus where you had to drill holes in your own front plate to install it. I think I got one back in like 2001?

I loved the DIY scene back then but fan curves are better.

A few years after that I had an off-the-shelf cooler master cooler that had a rheostat that slotted into a PCI slot cover, so you could reach behind your PC to crank it up for game time.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twerk from Home posted:

A few years after that I had an off-the-shelf cooler master cooler that had a rheostat that slotted into a PCI slot cover, so you could reach behind your PC to crank it up for game time.

ThermalTake and a few others made similar ones that hung in your case, some with like microphones to detect sound levels n poo poo lol.

I still have a few of the simpler rheostat ones and use em, especially with older boards or weird radiator setups. Handy!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Rexxed posted:

Gotta go with the Scythe Kaze Chrono - PWM monitoring, temperature probes, and a bomb looking clock that drifts about a minute forward a week no matter how fresh the cr2032 is

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DoombatINC posted:

Gotta go with the Scythe Kaze Chrono - PWM monitoring, temperature probes, and a bomb looking clock that drifts about a minute forward a week no matter how fresh the cr2032 is

That's neat, I had one with a display later but it was kind of garbage. I like that Scythe has continued to make good stuff over the years.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How does this Fan Control business work, anyway? Does/can it disable the BIOS fan control during runtime, or is it constantly fighting it?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Also if you hate electron apps and yet still use fan control instead of Argus Monitor, you are part of the problem. Electron is popular because it's very easy to slap together a multi-platform program with. Google does all of the heavy lifting, which is a good thing for a program that runs in admin mode all the time. Of course someone making free software is gonna use the easiest & lowest-maintenance platform.

If your reaction to paying money is "no thanks, I'd rather hit my own dick with a hammer", then don't loving complain that your dick hurts.

Sheesh. Some people.
I don't know what this take is, but I don't like it.

There's absolutely nothing that says software has to be bad if it's "free".
Beyond that, however, Fan Control is a terrible example for what you're getting at because while it might be using Electron it doesn't get any of the multi-platform integration, because of the integration of LibreHardwareMonitor - which is written in C#.net, and that in turn has a terrible history of portability.

Also, I use "free" here because FanControl isn't opensource - the repo contains a zip file, which is also found in the "Source code" tarball under releases.
Both of those just get you a PE32+ executable and some DLL files.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I just looked at Fan Control. It's a .NET/WPF app, nothing Electron. Not exactly lightweight either, but less than Electron. That mention of a C# library made me suspicious.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm not boosting for fan control, btw, I paid for Argus.

Also, someone noted my reg date, and I assure you that responsiveness in GUI's has been increasing overall in the last 3 decades. I remember having to wait SECONDS for a browser window to minimize or spending minutes waiting for games to load. Criticizing poorly written apps is fair game, but it doesn't sound like fan control is a particularly egregious example.

I think a better example is GTA 5 which had a bug in its loading code for years that made loading take 50x longer than it needed to be.

Edit: lol fan control isn't even Electron?! You all were just meme-ing about it? Lol, bunch of self owns itt.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm not boosting for fan control, btw, I paid for Argus.

Also, someone noted my reg date, and I assure you that responsiveness in GUI's has been increasing overall in the last 3 decades. I remember having to wait SECONDS for a browser window to minimize or spending minutes waiting for games to load. Criticizing poorly written apps is fair game, but it doesn't sound like fan control is a particularly egregious example.

I think a better example is GTA 5 which had a bug in its loading code for years that made loading take 50x longer than it needed to be.

Edit: lol fan control isn't even Electron?! You all were just meme-ing about it? Lol, bunch of self owns it.

Jedi Survivor takes longer to load than Windows 11, and it isn't even that out of the ordinary for a video game load time.

Fan Control is a bit janky and definitely sluggish, but it does actually work fairly well when you need it. I have all my fan curves baked into BIOS, but occasionally I want to override them temporarily for one reason or another and it gets the job done.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Truga posted:

personally i don't like how electron apps universally perform like the lovely web 2.0 apps they are, but hey, if you like waiting half a second for your apps to respond to basic input, more power to you :shobon:

upgrade your pc

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BobHoward posted:

I don't know what Baldur's Gate's deal is (never really looked at it, because ehhhh D&D), but planetary / galaxy scale simulation games like HoI, Stellaris, and Rimworld loving big caches is not a surprise. Big sims have to walk through big in-memory databases of all the simulated objects quite a lot, so fitting more of that DB into cache can speed up the sim a ton.

BG3 isn't even a mechanically complex game and the graphics don't look impressive from a technical standpoint either so therefore muh ease of development

Palladium fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 8, 2023

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

repiv posted:

mercifully they've designed AVX10 to use the same intrinsics as AVX512 so for the most part software can just be recompiled to use the former, aside from having to update CPUID checks and special-case 512bit code, but it's still going to be a hassle having to juggle two very similar yet binary-incompatible extensions in order to maintain support for chips that support AVX512 but not AVX10

They are not binary-incompatible. The AVX10 256-bit instructions are the 256-bit instructions of AVX512.VL. There will be a few new instructions in AVX10 that AMD won't have, but there will be a common 256-bit subset that will run on everything that supports AVX512.VL (like Zen4) and AVX10.

I would bet dollars to donuts that the next common SIMD compilation target that will eventually be used by everyone except the three nerds who do feature detection will be that shared subset. That's still ways off, of course, once it's been available even on the low end for a few years.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Well, the PC I built in spring was working perfectly, zero problems with AM5 teething pains (partly perhaps thanks to 4800 RAM).

Figured I would migrate over properly from my trusty old laptop. Took the SSD from the laptop, put it in the new box to copy all my stuff...
On startup, the PC froze on the login background picture. Waited for several minutes, nothing.

After a hard reset, it loaded in fine. Then, trying to copy over the files, I got like 4 or 5 blue screens 5-20 minutes apart (all different texts), until windows refused to load.
Reinstalled windows, took out the old SSD, loaded up to keep trying to find the issue, a couple more blue screens and now windows is corrupted again.

gently caress. I did not need this to spend time on right now.

I still had the old BIOS (TUF-GAMING-B650-PLUS-WIFI-ASUS-1413 probably) because there hadn't been any issues. Gonna update that, give windows one more chance on the Kingston Fury NVMe and then swap in another drive tomorrow if it doesn't stick.

Haven't the faintest what could have done it. Must have been something to do with me opening the box. Didn't bump it. I'm 95% sure the PSU switch was off when I pulled/installed the cord, is it even possible that could fry the PSU if it wasn't (Corsair Gold 850W)?
I'll take it to the Haus of Tech support later, don't expect you guys to troubleshoot it for me. Mostly just needed to vent. I guess if you've heard of the B650s voltage-killing NVMes, that knowledge could come in handy.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Tuna-Fish posted:

They are not binary-incompatible. The AVX10 256-bit instructions are the 256-bit instructions of AVX512.VL. There will be a few new instructions in AVX10 that AMD won't have, but there will be a common 256-bit subset that will run on everything that supports AVX512.VL (like Zen4) and AVX10.

I would bet dollars to donuts that the next common SIMD compilation target that will eventually be used by everyone except the three nerds who do feature detection will be that shared subset. That's still ways off, of course, once it's been available even on the low end for a few years.

I think we're going to be on SSE4.1 for games for another 10 years. You can always run a compute shader after all

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

naughty dog switched over to AVX2 for the PS5 branch of their engine and didn't bother adding an SSE fallback to the PC version of TLOU1, it won't run without AVX2 support

it's getting easy to justify making it a hard requirement now that consoles have a full-rate implementation and the steam survey has support at 90.3%

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Duuk posted:

Haven't the faintest what could have done it. Must have been something to do with me opening the box. Didn't bump it. I'm 95% sure the PSU switch was off when I pulled/installed the cord, is it even possible that could fry the PSU if it wasn't (Corsair Gold 850W)?
I'll take it to the Haus of Tech support later, don't expect you guys to troubleshoot it for me. Mostly just needed to vent. I guess if you've heard of the B650s voltage-killing NVMes, that knowledge could come in handy.

You won't do any harm to a PSU pulling or plugging in the cord while the switch is on. (But what you actually want to do is turn off the switch and leave the cord plugged in. That way the PC is still grounded via the plug ground for increased static protection, but can't accidentally turn on while you're working on it.)

The extra voltage AM5 problems will only impact the CPU, so that's nor a problem either.

My first guess would be that your NVMe drive decided today was a good day to die, coincidence plus you writing a bunch of data to it. What I would do is check the drive for hardware errors with the NVMe equivalent of SMART. You could do that by getting windows onto it again and using crystaldiskinfo. Or you can make a linux USB stick and run the command sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0n1 (this presumes you only have one NVMe drive, otherwise it could be nvme1n1 etc). The thing you are most looking for is "Media and Data Integrity Errors", if your drive has lots of those it's hosed.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.

Klyith posted:

You won't do any harm to a PSU pulling or plugging in the cord while the switch is on. (But what you actually want to do is turn off the switch and leave the cord plugged in. That way the PC is still grounded via the plug ground for increased static protection, but can't accidentally turn on while you're working on it.)

The extra voltage AM5 problems will only impact the CPU, so that's nor a problem either.

My first guess would be that your NVMe drive decided today was a good day to die, coincidence plus you writing a bunch of data to it. What I would do is check the drive for hardware errors with the NVMe equivalent of SMART. You could do that by getting windows onto it again and using crystaldiskinfo. Or you can make a linux USB stick and run the command sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0n1 (this presumes you only have one NVMe drive, otherwise it could be nvme1n1 etc). The thing you are most looking for is "Media and Data Integrity Errors", if your drive has lots of those it's hosed.
Alright, that makes me feel better. Much thanks.

The copying happened between two SATA SSDs, but with the Windows corruption, the Kingston does seem like a likely culprit.
I guess the plan is then - flashing BIOS - installing windows on my spare SSD and formatting the Kingston - running a disk check on the Kingston to see if it's hosed.
I went and posted a thread in HoTS also.

Duuk fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 8, 2023

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sininu posted:

LMAO, even Notepad was made sluggish with their "upgrade"

Yeah there was a bug with it taking forever to startup. Latest patches seem to have fixed it for me.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

naughty dog switched over to AVX2 for the PS5 branch of their engine and didn't bother adding an SSE fallback to the PC version of TLOU1, it won't run without AVX2 support

it's getting easy to justify making it a hard requirement now that consoles have a full-rate implementation and the steam survey has support at 90.3%

pre-Haswell/pre-Ryzen is coincidentally also when NVMe support started to be rolled out, and you can't play the game without NVMe storage either. it's easy to justify not writing that pre-AVX2 path when the users mostly can't play anyway for other reasons.

(technically you can use an adapter card but that's either going to cut your GPU lanes in half, or be on a chipset slot that stands a decent chance of being like pcie 2.0x1 or at best pcie 2.0x4, perhaps literally 1.1x1 speed. And while you technically don't need actual BIOS support (especially if you are not booting from the SSD/have a SATA drive for a system drive) from what I remember the Oprom thing is pretty clunky and a lot of drives don't ship with oproms anymore cause nobody actually uses them anymore. I honestly have no idea if oproms are even viable anymore for boards without native support.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 9, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

pre-Haswell/pre-Ryzen is coincidentally also when NVMe support started to be rolled out, and you can't play the game without NVMe storage either. it's easy to justify not writing that pre-AVX2 path when the users mostly can't play anyway for other reasons.

(technically you can use an adapter card but that's either going to cut your GPU lanes in half, or be on a chipset slot that stands a decent chance of being like pcie 2.0x1 or at best pcie 2.0x4. And while you technically don't need actual BIOS support (especially if you are not booting from the SSD/have a SATA drive for a system drive) from what I remember the Oprom thing is pretty clunky and a lot of drives don't ship with oproms anymore cause nobody actually uses them anymore. I honestly have no idea if oproms are even viable anymore for boards without native support.)

Wait what, games actually require NVMe storage now? TLOU at that? Wow, I assumed that SATA SSDs would just make for slightly slower load times.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

Wait what, games actually require NVMe storage now? TLOU at that? Wow, I assumed that SATA SSDs would just make for slightly slower load times.

The consoles both have magical storage streaming technology, and approximating that on PC by requiring NVMe instead of optimizing your storage calls means you can redirect the man-hours in the budget that would otherwise be used for that over to microtransactions

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

whoops I was thinking Ratchet and Clank and mixed up the studio (nixxes, not naughty dog) but yeah ratchet and clank doesn't run well on SATA SSDs. it's still loads better than a HDD, but there's definitely some stuttering in john's stream on the "minspec PC"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I71u7j1Izww

Negative_Kittens
Apr 8, 2008

[ASK] me about multiple personality disorders

Twerk from Home posted:

It actually doesn't, I have TLOU on my 3x SATA SSD Raid 0 array and it plays fine.

Edit: So does Ratchet and Clank, no real slowdown on that either. NVME requirememts seem to be more of a suggestion rn

Negative_Kittens fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 9, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Back when people still did matrix math on the CPU instead of handing it to the GPU, it wasn’t uncommon to have SSE/3D Now/whatever paths selected at runtime. There were libraries (Havok?) that dynamically patched call sites to avoid indirection overhead because I guess branch predictors weren’t great at their jobs yet? Somewhere I have a book of “Game Programming Gems” with details about how to efficiently select the right implementation.

Mozilla had various implementations for crypto and image decoding for a while I think (including transitively through Cairo/Skia).

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Subjunctive posted:

Back when people still did matrix math on the CPU instead of handing it to the GPU, it wasn’t uncommon to have SSE/3D Now/whatever paths selected at runtime. There were libraries (Havok?) that dynamically patched call sites to avoid indirection overhead because I guess branch predictors weren’t great at their jobs yet? Somewhere I have a book of “Game Programming Gems” with details about how to efficiently select the right implementation.

Mozilla had various implementations for crypto and image decoding for a while I think (including transitively through Cairo/Skia).

Graphics Gems I thru V? There's some great algorithms in there. I found a real fast spline interpolator good to 5 sigfigs that used a clever mirror algorithm and a LUT.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mofabio posted:

Graphics Gems I thru V? There's some great algorithms in there. I found a real fast spline interpolator good to 5 sigfigs that used a clever mirror algorithm and a LUT.

Oh yeah, maybe it was Graphics Gems! I had some of those too, but got rid of them a fair while ago. They would be a Medium site now or something I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is AGESA 1.0.0.7b what's going to let me do 4x32 @ 6000? I've read that it's supposed to support DDR5-8000+ but I can't find much about support for 4 DIMMs.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Is AGESA 1.0.0.7b what's going to let me do 4x32 @ 6000? I've read that it's supposed to support DDR5-8000+ but I can't find much about support for 4 DIMMs.
I'd like it to do 4x48GB@6000MT, please and thank you.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Subjunctive posted:

Is AGESA 1.0.0.7b what's going to let me do 4x32 @ 6000?

Probably not. The big speed and timing boosts are all being done by people with 2x 16GB DIMM's.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Probably not. The big speed and timing boosts are all being done by people with 2x 16GB DIMM's.

People are reporting that they can do 4x32 @ 6000, but it still requires dicking around with timings and voltages manually so I’m going to wait until I can just EXPO-and-go(-cook-a-meal-while-waiting-for-memory-training).

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Subjunctive posted:

People are reporting that they can do 4x32 @ 6000, but it still requires dicking around with timings and voltages manually so I’m going to wait until I can just EXPO-and-go(-cook-a-meal-while-waiting-for-memory-training).

Can confirm EXPO doesn't work with 4x16 and any time i go over 1800mhz/3600mt I get errors out the rear end.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 7800X3D has been discounted down to $359.99 on Newegg after discount code: https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-ryzen-7-7000-series/p/N82E16819113793

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Subjunctive posted:

People are reporting that they can do 4x32 @ 6000, but it still requires dicking around with timings and voltages manually

Apparently requires lots of luck or really good binned parts and stability is still touch and go most of the time.

DDR5 5600 is much more achievable, but still pretty hard 4x DIMM's, and gets you a decent portion of the gains that DDR5 6000 would give. I'd try to aim for that instead but apparently even then your chances aren't great.

I think Intel is still a little better with 4x DIMM's (people get to 5600 easier but 6000 is still often a crapshoot) but its not a big difference anymore.