Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

thedangergroove posted:

Oh man I would watch a biopic about Neil Manke

I was trying to figure out what Neil Manke had to do with NIN or Trent Reznor, and after a bit of Googling I figured out it was in reference to Mank (2020).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
There was an ancient ancient article at the back of a pcgamer about Niel Manke and the only thing I remember from it was he was once arrested for stealing hood emblems from a car lot once

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

verbal enema posted:

There was an ancient ancient article at the back of a pcgamer about Niel Manke and the only thing I remember from it was he was once arrested for stealing hood emblems from a car lot once

The man's a saint

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I wanna say that just as Sam 3 was built on the bones of a modern military shooter, Sam 4 was constructed from the corpse of a DayZ/BR kinda thing. I don't have a source for that on hand though, but clearly something happened - game was first teased in 2014!

A hotfix patch for ROTT Ludicrous Edition is out, fixing a common crash in El Oscuro boss fights and updating several of the new levels, among other things. Future patches have been announced, but not for next week on account of the entire dev team going off to get drunk at QuakeCon.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The first time I played Serious Sam 4, I was thinking that there must be a ton of secrets hidden out in the world that I'd have to look for on a second playthrough. Then I looked up with I missed and realized that it really was all just empty space. If they had released a well polished Serious Sam game, it would have been a huge success. I don't know the story of its development, but it was clearly troubled in multiple ways.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

He did the score for Manke too which I believe was his first properly fully non-electronic arrangement (Manke is good too if you haven't seen it).

he was 1/3rd of the soundtrack for Soul, which blew my mind when I saw his name in the end credits.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Weird question, but does anyone have that parody of Nighthawks by Edward Hopper where it's all FPS characters? Duke, Doomguy, and Quake guy are all together at the bar. I think Lo Wang and Caleb might be there, can't remember.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
gently caress yeah, new Civvie!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was trying to figure out what Neil Manke had to do with NIN or Trent Reznor, and after a bit of Googling I figured out it was in reference to Mank (2020).

Whoops, clearly have niche FPS brain poisoning.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
It's Mank not Manke. Neil Manke is the lead level designer for USS Darkstar and They Hunger. Mank is the film directed by David Fincher about the guy who wrote Citizen Kane, with the soundtrack done by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Darkstar rules

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Darkstar rules

Sure does

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ponzicar posted:

The first time I played Serious Sam 4, I was thinking that there must be a ton of secrets hidden out in the world that I'd have to look for on a second playthrough. Then I looked up with I missed and realized that it really was all just empty space. If they had released a well polished Serious Sam game, it would have been a huge success. I don't know the story of its development, but it was clearly troubled in multiple ways.

imo it was incredibly bold for them to return to the beloved Delta Force approach to level design

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah the exception to this being The Talos Principle, which is fantastic in my opinion. Hopefully TTP2 is just as good.

ill be honest the talos principle is so good i forgot it was a croteam game. im sorry croteam, i did you dirty. i hope you can continue to escape the curse of serious sam

verbal enema posted:

Darkstar rules

darkstar is great but i wish theyd cut the parts with the beach ball. the stuff with the dialogue with the bomb was much much more compelling

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

darkstar is great but i wish theyd cut the parts with the beach ball. the stuff with the dialogue with the bomb was much much more compelling

Whaat, the beach ball is great, and without it we wouldn't have Alien.

I kinda wonder if the bit where where they talk to the old captain was a bit of inspiration for talking to dead people in Pathways into Darkness.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

catlord posted:

Whaat, the beach ball is great, and without it we wouldn't have Alien.

I kinda wonder if the bit where where they talk to the old captain was a bit of inspiration for talking to dead people in Pathways into Darkness.

it just makes the movie more uneven. it feels like it could be a like 9/10 short movie if it omitted the monster plotline

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

What

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.moddb.com/mods/uss-darkstar

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

I know that you rear end

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i posted that for the other poster. simmer down!!!!!!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

john carpenters first film was called Darkstar, i was goofing around

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

it just makes the movie more uneven. it feels like it could be a like 9/10 short movie if it omitted the monster plotline

I mean, it was a student film that then got expanded out to fill a feature length. The uneveness is kinda baked in and to me that's part of the charm of it, though you're right in it being tacked on. I think the original student film version is out there, right? DVD special feature or whatever?

I need to try USS Darkstar again, I played it a long time ago and ended up stuck in a giant bedroom.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

john carpenters first film was called Darkstar, i was goofing around

ah

Huh I'll have to check it out

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
USS-Darkstar owns, and was the first mod I ever downloaded for HL1 after I beat the base game.

Never really got into They Hunger.

I believe Neil Manke had some serious health problems later on in the mid 2000s.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The first They Hunger rules the other two eh not so much

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

catlord posted:

I mean, it was a student film that then got expanded out to fill a feature length. The uneveness is kinda baked in and to me that's part of the charm of it, though you're right in it being tacked on. I think the original student film version is out there, right? DVD special feature or whatever?

I need to try USS Darkstar again, I played it a long time ago and ended up stuck in a giant bedroom.

I genuinely didnt know that, that makes a lot of the feelings i have about the movie make a lot more sense

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

verbal enema posted:

The credits music is great though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've got to admit, I was on the fence about picking up the ROTT Ludicrous Edition but I think Civvie's video almost sold me on it?

Then again, with Turbo Overkill hitting 1.0 on the 11th and AMID EVIL Black Labyrinth coming out a week later, maybe I'll wait until the Holiday sale to snag it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

verbal enema posted:

I know that you rear end

still waiting on an apology for this slight :rant:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

verbal enema posted:

Yeah they definitely decline in quality a tad. Chapter 1 is ace top to bottom. 2 is fun but there's some truly bulllllllshit moments. 3 would be so much better if the difficulty curve wasn't a doctor's signature on a prescription.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've got to admit, I was on the fence about picking up the ROTT Ludicrous Edition but I think Civvie's video almost sold me on it?

Same. I was playing the demo again, thinking "nah, I'll probably only give this 5 minutes of my time once I buy it".

But I've watched Civvie's latest video twice now, and my favourites of his are his ROTT ones, so maybe I'm just kidding myself and need to get it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Then again, with Turbo Overkill hitting 1.0 on the 11th and AMID EVIL Black Labyrinth coming out a week later, maybe I'll wait until the Holiday sale to snag it.

If I had no money I would still give a little toe for ROTT: Ludicrous Edition

whether New Blood and Night Dive accept human body parts in exchange for software licences is another matter

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
just imagine the smile on tom hall's face when he sees you've bought a copy

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Civvie's video made me intrigued, but playing the demo felt...ehhhhhhhh. The movement and shooting all feels loose.

I might still buy it just because its such a clear labor of love and I like supporting Nightdive and New Blood.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's real good

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

1stGear posted:

Civvie's video made me intrigued, but playing the demo felt...ehhhhhhhh. The movement and shooting all feels loose.

I might still buy it just because its such a clear labor of love and I like supporting Nightdive and New Blood.
YOUR TOAST

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Will they bury me in a lunchbox? :ohdear:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm kinda conflicted on it. the shooty is fine but i really don't like the level design

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
rott is a huge mess of a game and i love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

site posted:

i'm kinda conflicted on it. the shooty is fine but i really don't like the level design

The level design is atrocious. I don't necessarily mean the layout, but the look of it all.

Why is everything 5 stories tall? Why?

I have always wondered about that. If it was originally a sequel to Wolf 3D, then why is it so loving tall?!