Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

your best bet is probably to contact them. not sure how helpful they'll be, but sometimes it's surprising.

in pack chat, i bought an osprey exos back when they were new to the market in like 2012 or whatever. it finally gave up the ghost last year, accumulating too many issues that they could not repair. they did indeed replace it for free.

i explicitly asked the person who helped me "so if this bag ever needs repairs that cannot be done... will it be replaced as well?" and the explicit answer was "yes."

...cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Got my free lifetime pass for national parks for doing some time in the air force. Hopefully gonna hit up RMNP tomorrow

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Wild basin. That is all.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I did not make it out to Wild Basin. I did get up to Lawn Lake and the area behind it

Saw some goats, came face to face with a bull moose on the way in and on the way out

He was just chomping away at some leaves. Although the most dangerous parts of the day were probably the last few moves to the summit of Hagues Peak

And coming down this gully while it hailed on me

And holy crap the line to get in the park at 4pm was probably 75 cars long, it was ridiculous. No line whatsoever at 4:45am, didn't need a timed pass either, highly recommend getting in early to avoid the shitshow of later in the day

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Surprised you only got hail, the storm forecast was basically the entire state around 1pm.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It was on and off while I trekked back to the parking lot, then the last mile was sunny and that was pretty much it for the day. It might have been worse further south

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

8-year-old survives ‘extraordinarily rare’ cougar attack near Washington’s Lake Angeles

quote:

Staff evacuated all campers in the Lake Angeles area and closed the Lake Angeles and Heather Park areas until further notice.

“Due to the extreme nature of this incident, we are closing the Lake Angeles area and several trails in the vicinity,” said Olympic National Park wildlife biologist Tom Kay in the news release. “Out of an abundance of caution, the Lake Angeles Trail, Heather Park Trail, Switchback Trail, and the entire Klahhane Ridge Trail are closed until further notice.”

If anyone had plans up there soon

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

xzzy posted:

Surprised you only got hail, the storm forecast was basically the entire state around 1pm.

Yeah we were about 10 minutes from the car on the way down from Missouri Lakes when the sky opened up. The amount of rain that dumped on us was biblical, and the lightning was way too close for comfort.

And the drive back after that :shepicide:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

First adventure that took me off-road to get to the trailhead.

Virginia Hawkins falls.

I need to bite the bullet and grab a Garmin because I had no cell service and I didn’t see another soul for the couple of hours I was out there. Felt like a stupid idiot who was a slip away from being totally screwed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's an awesome waterfall, now I wanna photograph it someday.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anyone have any recommendations for central and western Pa.

I need clearly marked/ blazed trails as I get distracted easily and miss things (I get real high when I hike )

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You've got a National Forest in western PA! I haven't hiked Allegheny much but I was doing a lot of bouldering in Rimrock there during the pandemic when the international border was closed and I couldn't just drive the 30 minutes into Canada for a closer crag. Pretty cool area.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

euphronius posted:

I need clearly marked/ blazed trails as I get distracted easily and miss things (I get real high when I hike )

Ohiopyle State Park maybe?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

euphronius posted:

Those are gigantic areas but to throw a few things out there:

In central PA, check out the 500 steps, although the start is hard to find so it might fail your clearly marked criterion. PA grand canyon is way the hell up north but it's good too.

Western PA:
A lot of stuff in the laurel highlands area esp Ohiopyle and Quebec Run Wilderness.
Allegheny NF: Minister Creek loop is my fav but it's a huge place and I haven't explored it all
Raccoon Creek: lots of good loops but I'm partial to the wildflower sub-area

If you're in Pittsburgh and don't have long to explore very far, you can easily get lost for a while in the ravines of Frick and Schenley parks and forget you're in a city. In the nearby burbs but still in the county, Dead Man's Holler down along the yough, and Audobon Greenway in Sewickley, are both very nice and kind of lesser known spots.

Can also recommend some great swimmin hole adventures if that's what you're looking for

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am closer to Altoona than pittsburgh. Its nice tho since everything is less than a 3 hour drive.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I will try Minister Creek next, thanks. I have been to St Marys before. its easy to drive out there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

euphronius posted:

Grab OsmAnd. You can download all of PA as a map and it should include hiking trails on the map if you switch to walking mode. Its easy to record a trail when you start and double back if you get lost, even if blazed out of your mind.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone done Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa) recently? Got any tips? I was advised to avoid the Miners Track, Pig Track, and Llanberis path and take the Ranger path up.

We've got a bunch of other hikes on deck but if you've got a lesser known favorite I'd love to hear it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

alnilam posted:

Those are gigantic areas but to throw a few things out there:

In central PA, check out the 500 steps, although the start is hard to find so it might fail your clearly marked criterion. PA grand canyon is way the hell up north but it's good too.

Western PA:
A lot of stuff in the laurel highlands area esp Ohiopyle and Quebec Run Wilderness.
Allegheny NF: Minister Creek loop is my fav but it's a huge place and I haven't explored it all
Raccoon Creek: lots of good loops but I'm partial to the wildflower sub-area

If you're in Pittsburgh and don't have long to explore very far, you can easily get lost for a while in the ravines of Frick and Schenley parks and forget you're in a city. In the nearby burbs but still in the county, Dead Man's Holler down along the yough, and Audobon Greenway in Sewickley, are both very nice and kind of lesser known spots.

Can also recommend some great swimmin hole adventures if that's what you're looking for
Forgot to mention Cook's Forest, def worth a visit if you're in the clarion area

EatenRamen101
Feb 8, 2023
Southeast michigan recommendations?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

EatenRamen101 posted:

Drive to the UP.

There are some nice state parks around Brighton, Pinkney, Waterloo. But these are mostly at best half day hikes, and you will see plenty of other people on the weekends. I would not advise camping unless it is your first time and/or enjoy camping around a bunch of people in RVs. Depending on what exactly you are looking for you may have to travel a little bit further out of the SE.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

EatenRamen101 posted:

I went camping at Pinckney State Recreation Area once, it was nice. If you want to get away from things a bit you can do the hike-in site at Blind Lake on the Potawatomi Trail, that should keep you away from RVs and crowds.

https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/ParksandTrails/Details.aspx?id=445&type=SPCG
https://thedyrt.com/camping/michigan/pinckney-blind-lake-rustic-hike-in

Muir fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 1, 2023

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Finished my hike in Banff and Jasper. So many amazing views I could post a pic a day for a year and not finish my camera roll from the trip. Just insanely beautiful everywhere.

Mystic Lake

Wildflower Creek campground view

Luellen Lake

Canyon along the sawback trail

Lake beyond Pulsatilla Pass

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 7, 2023

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Finished my hike in Banff and Jasper. So many amazing views I could post a pic a day for a year and not finish my camera roll from the trip. Just insanely beautiful everywhere.

Wildflower Creek campground view

I'm such a sucker for creeks like that. I could hang out by that all day.

I know next to nothing about Banff and Jasper, except they're vaguely on a list of places I'd like to visit. I'd love to learn more. What's the rough outline of what you did? Was this one long backpacking trip on a particular trail?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

xzzy posted:

Carmanah Valley, yall gotta go:
I'll have to check that out, do you live on the island or just visiting? I've done quite a bit of backpacking and camping on VI in the past 3 or 4 years even since I got burned out from solo road cycling during covid times but still wanting to do stuff outdoors.

Vancouver Island is pretty rugged, tons of places with no development, and not many people that you have to share the trails with, it's awesome.

I'm actually getting ready to hike Mt Albert Edward tomorrow. I've already done it actually, in just a day trip up and down from Victoria, it was a 23 hour day lol, so this time I'm going with my buddy and we are going to camp at Circlet Lake, summit the next day, then camp again, and come back the next day so 2 nights 3 days. Way more chill. Gonna haul some good food and beverages up there.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Must be nice to have mountains

Very jealous

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

euphronius posted:

Very jealous

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

I'll have to check that out, do you live on the island or just visiting? I've done quite a bit of backpacking and camping on VI in the past 3 or 4 years even since I got burned out from solo road cycling during covid times but still wanting to do stuff outdoors.

Vancouver Island is pretty rugged, tons of places with no development, and not many people that you have to share the trails with, it's awesome.

Don't live there, I was all tourist. I did pay a local to show me around a bit and that's how I got back there. The logging roads are rough going, bumpy as hell with too-large chunks of broken granite. I've done many miles on gravel roads over the years and that one was probably the least comfortable. It was like driving down a riverbed. Navigable enough for a city car but it's gonna rattle to pieces.

And yeah VI is bigger than it looks on the map, I only got to see a small part of it. Could easily spend a year there exploring stuff.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

incogneato posted:

I'm such a sucker for creeks like that. I could hang out by that all day.

I know next to nothing about Banff and Jasper, except they're vaguely on a list of places I'd like to visit. I'd love to learn more. What's the rough outline of what you did? Was this one long backpacking trip on a particular trail?

we did the Sawback trail in Banff starting from the Mt Norquay trailhead and hiked to the Lake Louise ski lodge trailhead. 4 nights, 5 days. absolutely amazing hike and you should do what we did and hike it south to north, that way the views just keep getting better as you go from deep woods, to mountain valley meadows, to breaking the treeline and high elevation environments.

in Jasper we wanted to do the entire Skyline trail, but could only get a campsite by Watchtower peak. The segment we did was gorgeous with unreal views. only negative was the trail after the watchtower peak campsite heading to the lot was horribly maintained. very poorly marked with blazes so you can lose it after areas of rockfalls, as well as just going right through thickets of trees so you are just pushing through all of the branches, so a lot of cuts and scrapes. and then the portion through the forest was littered with downed trees. Like 100+. sometimes with 5-6 trees all interlaced and piled on top of one another. I tweaked my knee on the second day and gutted through it all, but that day had me pissed as it was not easy navigating all of that, as even the forest floor there is covered in thick moss and roots and has holes a foot+ deep, so just going around the trees was not much easier

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 8, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

euphronius posted:

Very jealous

Airplanes exist

Even in Pennsylvania

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Well in that case, must be nice to have an airplane

Very jealous

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

we did the Sawback trail in Banff starting from the Mt Norquay trailhead and hiked to the Lake Louise ski lodge trailhead. 4 nights, 5 days. absolutely amazing hike and you should do what we did and hike it south to north, that way the views just keep getting better as you go from deep woods, to mountain valley meadows, to breaking the treeline and high elevation environments.

in Jasper we wanted to do the entire Skyline trail, but could only get a campsite by Watchtower peak. The segment we did was gorgeous with unreal views. only negative was the trail after the watchtower peak campsite heading to the lot was horribly maintained. very poorly marked with blazes so you can lose it after areas of rockfalls, as well as just going right through thickets of trees so you are just pushing through all of the branches, so a lot of cuts and scrapes. and then the portion through the forest was littered with downed trees. Like 100+. sometimes with 5-6 trees all interlaced and piled on top of one another. I tweaked my knee on the second day and gutted through it all, but that day had me pissed as it was not easy navigating all of that, as even the forest floor there is covered in thick moss and roots and has holes a foot+ deep, so just going around the trees was not much easier

Thanks! That looks and sounds amazing. Other than the massive amount of deadfall. I've played that game and it gets old fast.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

numberoneposter posted:

I'm actually getting ready to hike Mt Albert Edward tomorrow. I've already done it actually, in just a day trip up and down from Victoria, it was a 23 hour day lol, so this time I'm going with my buddy and we are going to camp at Circlet Lake, summit the next day, then camp again, and come back the next day so 2 nights 3 days. Way more chill. Gonna haul some good food and beverages up there.

Everything on VI has got so much busier since the pandemic started its crazy. The campsite at Circlet lake is huge now. I hiked from Mt Washington to Buttle lake a few years ago which is one of my favourite hikes I have done would recommend although the driving logistics are a pain. Got lots of weird questions from people doing the same trip you are hiking up Albert Edward with a full pack.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
So today was a good lesson in being prepared. I've never before gone hiking in the middle of summer and had to pack like I was going to be in rain and snow all day. Thing is, I didn't think I would be in rain and snow so I had a bad time. A 20% chance of showers before noon, and that one cell carrying all the rain seemed to center right overhead. It started out pretty nice, with a bit of cloud cover

Sometime around 8 it started to rain and I was hoping I could wait it out and by the time I gained some elevation it would move on. By the time I gained some elevation, it had gotten colder and stayed just as wet

I had another 500 feet of vertical to do on a scramble with snow. With no gloves and my feet already wet, I got the gently caress out of there and went home. The rain tapered off pretty much immediately after I started down so that was nice. But going up in the rain, sleet, and snow and the first 2000 feet going down were some absolute miserable hiking.

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 3, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A hawk flew right over me after I took this

Those are PA “mountains”

Edit

Pa has an assload of trees

euphronius fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 13, 2023

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Went on a 3-day backpacking trip in the Rahwah Wilderness (CO). We were more ambitious this time because we didn’t have the kids with us. The first day sucked for me (out of shape, old lady): 8.5 miles up with a fully-loaded pack. We camped at one of the Rahwah lakes (there are a few). View of the lake from our campsite:

Campsite (rocks and wind blown trees):

On the 2nd day, we hiked back down and then up a spur to camp at Twin Crater Lakes. Very beautiful, but I didn’t have my phone out, so no pics. Hiked out the 3rd day.

Really appreciate living in such a beautiful state, plus the 2.5 hour drive to the trailhead.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Up to Grapevine Mountain yesterday since the temps dipped a bit around Borrego Springs. Can sorta make out Salton Sea in the background about 30 miles away.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

newts posted:

Went on a 3-day backpacking trip in the Rahwah Wilderness (CO). We were more ambitious this time because we didn’t have the kids with us. The first day sucked for me (out of shape, old lady): 8.5 miles up with a fully-loaded pack. We camped at one of the Rahwah lakes (there are a few). View of the lake from our campsite:

Campsite (rocks and wind blown trees):

On the 2nd day, we hiked back down and then up a spur to camp at Twin Crater Lakes. Very beautiful, but I didn’t have my phone out, so no pics. Hiked out the 3rd day.

Really appreciate living in such a beautiful state, plus the 2.5 hour drive to the trailhead.

This looks fantastic! Definitely gonna have to check out Rahwah or other stuff up north. How were the mosquitoes?

I backpacked Eagles Nest for the first time ever this weekend. It was fine except every spot at the lake was replete with soon-to-be deadfall, which made for sub-optimal site selection.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

waffle enthusiast posted:

This looks fantastic! Definitely gonna have to check out Rahwah or other stuff up north. How were the mosquitoes?

Relentless. Probably the worst I’ve experienced in CO (but much less worse than mosquitoes in FL or the Midwest). We had extreme wind for the first night and we were up near the pass so that kept them at bay, but the 2nd night we were down in a valley and they were annoying. Totally worth it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Hotel Kpro posted:

So today was a good lesson in being prepared. I've never before gone hiking in the middle of summer and had to pack like I was going to be in rain and snow all day. Thing is, I didn't think I would be in rain and snow so I had a bad time. A 20% chance of showers before noon, and that one cell carrying all the rain seemed to center right overhead. It started out pretty nice, with a bit of cloud cover

Sometime around 8 it started to rain and I was hoping I could wait it out and by the time I gained some elevation it would move on. By the time I gained some elevation, it had gotten colder and stayed just as wet

I had another 500 feet of vertical to do on a scramble with snow. With no gloves and my feet already wet, I got the gently caress out of there and went home. The rain tapered off pretty much immediately after I started down so that was nice. But going up in the rain, sleet, and snow and the first 2000 feet going down were some absolute miserable hiking.

I do not know about your location, but here you can find weather reports that are elevation specific, very usefull.

Even in summer you should have some gloves with you, do not need some large mittens or anything, just enough to take that bite off and hopefully water resistant. I have a pair of goat skin (light, durable, and waterproof) that I always bring with. Also one of those emergency bivvy bags, really no downside to having one with you.