Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm watching the larry sanders show, its kind of a mashup of 30 rock and curb. but way before either of those shows. theres a lot of 90s cheese and some people who have since been me-tood. its decent background tv tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

A MIRACLE posted:

finished righteous gemstones, what a great season. complete opposite ending from succession haha

also Full Circle owned

Every season 3 episode from 5 on was just amazing and if HBO doesn't greenlight a full episode of Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers I am canceling my subscription

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm watching the larry sanders show, its kind of a mashup of 30 rock and curb. but way before either of those shows. theres a lot of 90s cheese and some people who have since been me-tood. its decent background tv tho

It's so weird to see cameos like Jon Stewart as an up and coming rebellious standup and Sean Penn as an unserious version of himself, that show rules

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's fun to look back and see the outsized impact it, Dream On and Mr Show had on the last 90s early 2000s comedy landscape.

Maybe Arli$$ too? But really that's just The Gary Shandling Show for sports.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 7, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I love literally every character in Righteous Gemstones, but this season felt really really weak to me. Just didn't like most of it at all. The whole militia storyline was just boring.

And I mean how do you NOT utilize Keefe in a loving grain silo rescue mission? Seems like they were setting it up and everything. I was ready for him to have his day and just unleash

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've gotten up to the last season of The Americans on my rewatch, drat that's a heckuva time skip between 5 and 6

I just made it to S5E1 on my first watch, so I'll be catching up soon! I'm loving this show.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

BonoMan posted:

And I mean how do you NOT utilize Keefe in a loving grain silo rescue mission? Seems like they were setting it up and everything. I was ready for him to have his day and just unleash

Hard same. I was hyped for Amber, Keefe and BJ to go up against the militia. What we ultimately got with Gideon and Redeemer was honestly better tv, but I’m still bummed

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's fun to look back and see the outsized impact it, Dream On and Mr Show had on the last 90s early 2000s comedy landscape.

Maybe Arli$$ too? But really that's just The Gary Shandling Show for sports.

Arli$$ would have to be funny to have an impact on the comedy landscape.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

isaboo posted:

I just made it to S5E1 on my first watch, so I'll be catching up soon! I'm loving this show.

5 is particularly brutal, buckle up.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I am wildly behind on Archer. I've made my way about halfway through season 5, the Archer Vice season. I didn't realize they had 13 (!) seasons on Hulu. What is the consensus on if the quality stays the same, gets better, or worse? TIA.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

I am wildly behind on Archer. I've made my way about halfway through season 5, the Archer Vice season. I didn't realize they had 13 (!) seasons on Hulu. What is the consensus on if the quality stays the same, gets better, or worse? TIA.

It's a protracted circling around the sinkhole of mediocrity, OP.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You can honestly just stop after season 7 and assume the show ended with Archer being shot and killed.

I liked some of the coma seasons stuff (mostly Dreamland) but they spent way too long with it and then even attempting to continue the show without Jessica Walter was a huge mistake.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You can honestly just stop after season 7 and assume the show ended with Archer being shot and killed.

I liked some of the coma seasons stuff (mostly Dreamland) but they spent way too long with it and then even attempting to continue the show without Jessica Walter was a huge mistake.

Eh I haven't minded the last few seasons. Nowhere near peak Archer but there's always at least a couple laughs per episode.

Of course my bar is lower because I get to watch a lot of TV in my downtime at work.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I liked all of archer until Jessica Walter died, then it was just kinda sad. I’m still watching it tho

The dream seasons were cool imo

edit, looks like they got (tiny spoiler) Meryl Streep for the new season of Only Murders

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 8, 2023

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I had no clue Derry had a third season. Fuckin hilarious show and I'm about to binge the hell out of it this week

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

Obviously Jeffrey Tambor was outted as a weirdo (and also involved in Arrested Development, in which the male cast were such shits that they were even doing it in public). But yeah Larry Sanders is foundational to modern cringe comedy. It's fascinating that they wanted Garry Shandling at first for what ultimately became Conan O'Brien's late night gig. Shandling never come across to me in interviews as a guy who would actually want to do a real late night show.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Finally watching some of Benson and Moorhead's films, Resolution and The Endless are both on streaming (among others) Nothing has say, blown me away, but I really dig their vibes. Just these charming little human dramas, solid casts, with fantasy/sci-fi concepts diced in that enhance/accentuate the dramatic themes. All solid so far, doing a lot with low budgets. Gonna try Spring next.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Finally watching some of Benson and Moorhead's films, Resolution and The Endless are both on streaming (among others) Nothing has say, blown me away, but I really dig their vibes. Just these charming little human dramas, solid casts, with fantasy/sci-fi concepts diced in that enhance/accentuate the dramatic themes. All solid so far, doing a lot with low budgets. Gonna try Spring next.

Resolution and The Endless are pretty solid. I watched Spring by myself one night when I was in a funk and I remember really enjoying it, but when I watched it with some friends a couple years later it was absolutely painful and I couldn’t wait for the credits to roll.

Kinda soured me on their stuff to the point that I never watched the one they did with Anthony Mackie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Resolution and The Endless are pretty solid. I watched Spring by myself one night when I was in a funk and I remember really enjoying it, but when I watched it with some friends a couple years later it was absolutely painful and I couldn’t wait for the credits to roll.

Kinda soured me on their stuff to the point that I never watched the one they did with Anthony Mackie.

If you’re not super into their stuff you can safely skip Synchronic, it’s the goofiest thing they’ve done. Something in the Dirt is firmly in the Resolution/Endless universe and is still worth a watch.

Spring does seem like it might not hold up that well upon a rewatch. I’ve only seen it once when I recently binged all their films.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Synchronic is their worst but I find it oddly charming. It's like them trying really hard to make something schmaltzy .

Something in the Dirt whips a whole lot of rear end, one of my favs they've done

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I went to Synchronic first and it's goofier but still charming. hosed up dog tragedy though taking your dog back in time as a test subject and getting him killed by the KKK 😰 dude like...i wouldve gotten a pet store mouse they feed snakes with, what the gently caress how are you gonna do your actual ACTUAL best friend (rather than the lovely white dude who just complains about his wife) like hes a soviet space pup

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Winning Time just came back for the second season and while there are many things that drive me, a professional Cinematic Opinion Haver, completely bonkers, I can't help but be charmed by it. Much of the show tries to walk the line between fact and fantasy and mostly fails, but the performances absolutely do not. The people taking their characters to the very edge of fairy tale is what keeps me coming back. Quincy Isaiah (Magic) and Solomon Hughes (Kareem) are the standouts.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 9, 2023

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.
I have always been a British detective show watcher. It started when I was a kid and would watch Poirot with my mom, and it's been true ever since. I've watched all of Midsummer Murders, Luther, Father Brown, Grantchester, The Fall, Shetland, Death in Paradise, Grace, The Tower, and recently I finished a binge of every episode of Inspector Morse. I tried Lewis, but it just didn't hook me after a couple episodes, I tried Inspector Frost but bowed out mid episode 1. So I'm asking are there any British detective shows that are just so good you'd be stupid to not watch? I have pretty much every standard streaming service, I recently picked up Britbox, but I think I might have exhausted the usual suspects.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

A MIRACLE posted:

I liked all of archer until Jessica Walter died, then it was just kinda sad. I’m still watching it tho

The dream seasons were cool imo

edit, looks like they got (tiny spoiler) Meryl Streep for the new season of Only Murders

I'm pretty sure Only Murders could get any actor they wanted as long as the role fits in their existing schedule. Or even non-actors, as seen in S1.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

raven77 posted:

I have always been a British detective show watcher. It started when I was a kid and would watch Poirot with my mom, and it's been true ever since. I've watched all of Midsummer Murders, Luther, Father Brown, Grantchester, The Fall, Shetland, Death in Paradise, Grace, The Tower, and recently I finished a binge of every episode of Inspector Morse. I tried Lewis, but it just didn't hook me after a couple episodes, I tried Inspector Frost but bowed out mid episode 1. So I'm asking are there any British detective shows that are just so good you'd be stupid to not watch? I have pretty much every standard streaming service, I recently picked up Britbox, but I think I might have exhausted the usual suspects.

There are so many!

Showing their age, but also interesting time capsules of 90's UK, are Cracker and Prime Suspect.

Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes are also good.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
HIJACK on Apple feels as if Frank Capra made a high tension airplane thriller. It's like 85% malarkey, and it FUUUUUCKS

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pigma_Micron posted:

Winning Time just came back for the second season and while there are many things that drive me, a professional Cinematic Opinion Haver, completely bonkers, I can't help but be charmed by it. Much of the show tries to walk the line between fact and fantasy and mostly fails, but the performances absolutely do not. The people taking their characters to the very edge of fairy tale is what keeps me coming back. Quincy Isaiah (Magic) and Solomon Hughes (Kareem) are the standouts.
You're wrong because you're making me want to watch a week release show. gently caress that, it's not what streaming stands for

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Pigma_Micron posted:

Quincy Isaiah is a treasure and I cannot wait to see him in plenty more things

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Hijack started good but fell completely flat. just throwing everything in the blender. So the hijackers hijack the plane to get 2 crime lords released from prison, who are secretly shorting the price of the airline, because an airplane getting hijacked is totally the companies fault and the market demands blood!!! Then the hijackers get hijacked by the hijacker lady. god its so stupid

It's also british as gently caress

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The gently caress, dude?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Just a quick rundown there, in case you wanted to start with the series finale

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
The 90s Outer Limits is on Amazon Prime and while it isn't great, it's a treasure trove of recognizable actors.

It took me a minute to figure out why I recognized this guy and I had to check the credits to confirm my suspicions

And they got Joshua Jackson and Kirsten Dunst to do this

I recommend checking it out if you like 90s actors in very tame sci-fi morality plays

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Gold Head Kirsten Dunst is a great avatar for somebody.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just to confirm: this is the one that was on HBO and has topless ladies and sex scenes, right? My kid and I have been doing OG Twilight Zone watches and he generally enjoys it, but we're gonna run out eventually and I want to make sure it's kid appropriate.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just watch Ultra Q on YouTube and become awesome

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Just to confirm: this is the one that was on HBO and has topless ladies and sex scenes, right? My kid and I have been doing OG Twilight Zone watches and he generally enjoys it, but we're gonna run out eventually and I want to make sure it's kid appropriate.

Showtime, but yes. Although the last two seasons don’t have that kind of stuff since they moved the show to Sci-Fi.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

outer limits is all over the place. some episodes with hardly a bad word and others with full frontal nudity and pretty explicit boning (I'm not convinced the lady from species wasn't actually banging the dude in the season 3 hologram family episode).

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Yeah it was on Showtime so there is some mild nudity in about 25% of the episodes. I think the final season aired on the SciFi channel though so those are probably nudity-free, I haven't watched those yet.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Thanks all, I appreciate the answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I think it's on Roku and Pluto, but check out the original Outer Limits too.