Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey, there are six teams whose owners have only hundreds of millions of dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

Wow, sucks for the White Sox, now time to watch my favorite NBA team.

:negative:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I dunno but I can appreciate their photo choice when discussing the postseason.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Milovan Drecun posted:

Sounds like Laureano to Cleveland. I'm not sure how likely it was, but he was a good fit for the Twins (would displace Jordan Luplow). So probably a good move on multiple fronts for the Guardians.

Tweet confirming it:

https://twitter.com/GuardsInsider/status/1688620787069042688

I don't know that I'd say I'm excited about this. Is he meant to be a platoon bat? Kind of unsure given his career numbers this year, but it's not like we don't already have two .600-ish bats in the OF already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually 3rd highest bWAR on the As this season. One point one.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Anderson suspended 6, Ramirez 3

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I still can't make heads or tails of waiving Laureano. Did something come out about that?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

zoux posted:

I looked in the White Sox subreddit (which was hilarious after the fight) to see what they were talking about and the consensus over there is "Nothing changes until current owner [Reinsdorf] dies".

And on Twitter, and in the park…

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1688634791573262336

LOL the orioles really are a clownish organization.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Getting the Thom Brennaman treatment over a factual recitation of the team's record.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Poque posted:

Anderson suspended 6, Ramirez 3

Clase, Tito, Grifol, and the Guards third base coach who were ejected during the same brawl were also given one-game suspensions, and Kopech and Arias were both fined.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

…what is he supposed to do when they put that graphic up? I don’t see anything wrong with that, he’s not slamming the team or being overly negative?

He’s taking the numbers and putting them into context. “The O’s have sucked at the Trop for years now, will this be the day they get one over? Find out next on MASN.” Isn’t this the producer’s fault anyway for setting up that segment? I was expecting him to start talking about how putrid the team is.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

There was absolutely nothing wrong with that lol. There has to be another reason or something

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with that lol. There has to be another reason or something

The story is pretty well sourced

quote:

Awful Announcing has confirmed through multiple sources familiar with the situation that Brown has been suspended indefinitely, that it came after the Rays series, that he only wound up on the radio for the Phillies’ series thanks to another controversy about a different announcer’s apparel, and that the comment here seems to be what’s at issue.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Here's avg with RISP which is probably better anyways

Is PA's with RISP an overall better stat than batting average with RISP, because you don't have to have as high of a batting avg w/RISP if you're batting w/RISP enough.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
What the gently caress, Kevin is by far our best play by play guy and *this* is what gets him pulled????

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Artix posted:

What the gently caress, Kevin is by far our best play by play guy and *this* is what gets him pulled????

Came in here to say this. loving love Kevin Brown's pbp and this is kind of insane.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Hopefully come playoff time those underdog Yankees can crush the evil empire that is Baltimore baseball, ushering in a period of the Orioles finally losing.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
That poo poo is so mild Nick Castellanos ground out to short while Kevin Brown said it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Hopefully come playoff time those underdog Yankees can crush the evil empire that is Baltimore baseball, ushering in a period of the Orioles finally losing.

Yankees aren't making the playoffs.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

zoux posted:

It's funny how prominent Luhnow is in the evil version of the pic

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1688606207798317056

Marine in the right hand picture is a Dodgers fan

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Correct

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Its Rinaldo posted:

Marine in the right hand picture is a Dodgers fan

dude is jacked. captain america over there

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

happy white sox dysfunction leak day
https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/1688643064808525824?s=20

quote:

When Grandal found out he was not in the lineup, he planned to leave prior to the game, according to Riordan. Anderson took exception to his teammate planning to leave and skip a game and confronted Grandal.

“Tim Anderson says, well F--- you, F--- that, if he wants to get out of here now, I’ll pay for his flight and bring him there myself,” Riordan said.

Grandal then approached Anderson and slapped him, starting a fight between the two teammates that was ultimately separated [sic!].

I mean TA is right here but this is obviously not a good year for him in the not getting hit in the head department.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 7, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/YankeesPR/status/1688652454634688512

The Yankees love prospect hugging their poo poo prospects just long enough for them to get DFAd more than you love anything in your life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skipping games you don't start is really unusual though right? PH remains a thing

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

zoux posted:

Skipping games you don't start is really unusual though right? PH remains a thing

He actually did PH in that game, according to the article.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

will_colorado posted:

N/V August: DOWN GOES ANDERSON DOWN GOES ANDERSON

Is it being the GDT okay? :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Even starters who aren't going that day and knows for certain they'll see zero in-game action are expected to be in the dugout with the team.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

zoux posted:

I'd say it almost never happens for a healthy position player. Starting pitchers will sometimes (rarely?) travel a day ahead of the team on a road trip to make sure they get a good night's rest for their start, but that's pretty much it.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Orioles are the Vibes Team this year, so this is a very ominous move. Watch them go on a huge slide.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Rick Hahn winning Sporting News Executive of the Year in 2020 is pretty much exactly like Nagy winning Coach of the Year in 2018.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bandire posted:

I'd say it almost never happens for a healthy position player. Starting pitchers will sometimes (rarely?) travel a day ahead of the team on a road trip to make sure they get a good night's rest for their start, but that's pretty much it.

I think it’s more with older or more fragile pitchers but yeah, you’re still taking BP or working out with the coaches, studying film, etc. The Rays back in the Maddon era started training pitchers to do advance scouting from the dugout on their off days.

e: Here’s an article from 2018 where Ivan Nova and Taillon talk about learning the professional starting routine.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 7, 2023

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Never forget

Only registered members can see post attachments!

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Athletic covered the MASN Kevin Brown story and its details make Angelos look even worse:

The Athletic posted:

Brown pointed out during the on-air broadcast on MASN that the Orioles had won more games at Tampa Bay’s Tropicana Field in 2023 than the last three years combined. The comment was backed up in the July 23 game notes, which are put together by the team’s public relations staff. “The Orioles have won three of the first five games at The Trop this season after winning three of the 21 games played in St. Petersburg from 2020-22,” the game notes said.
Despite it being in the game notes, ownership took exception to Brown pointing it out, sources said, believing it made them sound cheap. Baltimore ranks 29th in Major League Baseball in payroll.

Multiple sources briefed on the decision say ownership has enacted a new policy mandating that their broadcasters wear team gear only when on-air, which has rankled some. That snafu lead to Brown filling in on radio after his comment in the Rays series because another broadcaster got in trouble. Broadcasters have also been reprimanded previously for mentioning past Orioles players who are no longer with the team.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Orioles vibes implosion

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress da O

Edit: the O stands for ownership

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

wait like you can't wear an O's hat if you're not on air? what kind of policy is that?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Intruder posted:

wait like you can't wear an O's hat if you're not on air? what kind of policy is that?

John Angelos has a very small penis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

All baseball orgs are poo poo I guess