Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Timmy Age 6 posted:

That said, I wonder how many of the nominally Democratic-registered voters were old-school Southern Democrats who were conservative as hell when actually casting ballots. That turnover timeline seems to at least sort of match the progression of West Virginia, for example. Florida was certainly not that extreme a case, and the state party is absolutely a trash fire, but I don’t know that we can necessarily just look at the registration numbers as reflective of voter policy preferences.

I have to imagine a good number of them. The boomer generation is full of people who came of age, if not in the era of the Dixiecrats, at least in the era of people in the south and rust belt registering Democrat and voting for conservative (but maybe pro-union) local Dems locally while backing every Republican presidential candidate since Reagan. That gradually trickled down from president to smaller races until eventually they even started abandoning the Blue Dogs and local candidates in favor of Tea Party or full MAGA. Most of the alignment happened in the late 20th century but enough of it was recent that the one conservative that got internet famous for refusing to certify gay marriages was a Democrat, and a large portion of the WV Democratic primary in 2016 was people who said they were going to vote Trump in the fall no matter who got the nom. Would be strange if neither the southern version nor the northern retiree version was well-represented in Florida..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- It impacts both genders significantly, but men have a higher rate of isolation/loneliness than women. 15% of men say they have 0 close relationships and less than half say they have ever made a new friend since leaving high school.

It's interesting, my husband works from home and I am a stay-at-home parent and we have almost no other good friends in our lives. There is one family from our kids' school that we hang out with occasionally, but they are likely switching schools. It's not that we hate other people, but life is so full of poo poo for our kids and everyone just seems so busy with their stuff that just casually hanging out with other people has gone away. And my husband used to have work friends that he lunched with, but work from home has obviously changed that dynamic. We have many casual friends & acquaintances we see a few times a year, but that "best friend" ideal just hasn't happened for us. But, we do have each other and it's cheesy to say my husband is my best friend but I guess that's our reality.

I think this idea of isolation and loneliness really has affected our national political landscape. It's so easy to "other" people if you have no actual contact with many people on a friendly level. I feel like we need a mandated national Happy Hour where we HAVE to go to a local community center once a month for an hour and list a handful of our favorite things and then get matched up with a few other people in our neighborhood who like the same things. It's worth a shot!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://echeloninsights.com/in-the-news/which-kennedy-is-it/

Finally someone asked "do the Democrats choosing RFK Jr. in polls think he's the original"

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

There's still pretty robust local media coverage in some areas (New York, Illinois, California, Georgia, etc.) including Massachusetts that you cited. I don't think it is necessarily entirely down to local media given that the impact hasn't been distributed 100% evenly. You'd also think that with no information at all, it would cause people to default to their partisan assumptions. But, Vermont's Republican Governor is the most popular governor in the country and Kentucky's Democratic governor has a positive approval rating. All 50 governors having positive approval ratings is too universal to be a fluke related to local news coverage (which has been dying for a long time in most places and not just in the last two years).

He was pardoned by Ford almost immediately after he took office, so they couldn't.

I know.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?

Twincityhacker posted:

I wonder if it's just that *all* the state parties are kinda hosed at the moment

Hey now, the Minnesota DFL would like a word once they finish this blunt.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

James Garfield posted:

https://echeloninsights.com/in-the-news/which-kennedy-is-it/

Finally someone asked "do the Democrats choosing RFK Jr. in polls think he's the original"

Brb, changing my name to Abraham Lincoln. I'll see you in the White House, suckers!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Timmy Age 6 posted:

That said, I wonder how many of the nominally Democratic-registered voters were old-school Southern Democrats who were conservative as hell when actually casting ballots. That turnover timeline seems to at least sort of match the progression of West Virginia, for example. Florida was certainly not that extreme a case, and the state party is absolutely a trash fire, but I don’t know that we can necessarily just look at the registration numbers as reflective of voter policy preferences.

Probably a fair few. There's also the fact that there were plenty of conservative Dem legislators in state governments who would keep trying to appeal to those types - even if it meant pissing off the rest of the base.

For example, in 1998, the FL Dems had Willie Logan lined up to be the first African-American caucus leader in the FL House, but the FL House Dems suddenly ousted him for vague reasons and replaced him with a white person. Naturally, absolutely no one believed them when they claimed it wasn't racism, and black legislators and organizations made no secret of their distaste for the FL Dems who'd ousted him. Meanwhile, Jeb Bush was actively reaching out to minority voters and making a real effort to win them over away from the Dems, speaking Spanish at rallies and publicly apologizing for the racist stances he'd taken in 2004.

That wasn't a single decisive factor in Jeb's victory, since his Dem opponent was a boring and uncharismatic technocrat who'd spent decades in safe blue seats and had a poor record in actually contested elections, but it's a great example of the kinds of problems Dems had in that era.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Doctor has surpassed CEO as the highest average earning profession in America.

(The top 1% of CEOs still earn more than the top 1% of doctors, however)

The study also found:

- The lack of federal support for residencies and the AMA rationing of residencies has lead to a national doctor shortage that is also driving up wages.

- Every 10% increase in Medicare reimbursement rates leads to a 4.4% increase in prices doctors charge and increases the number of patients they are willing to see.

- Top doctors are now almost exclusively choosing to specialize in high-paying specialties like neurosurgery or orthopedic surgery.

- Every year, nearly 10,000 medical school graduates fail to find a match for a residency program due to limited availability.

- American doctors make over 50% more than doctors from any other country.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1688635133169967105
I guess I shouldn't be surprised at all that the WaPo doesn't cite the fact that we have a medical system that incentivizes more expensive doctors, whereas everywhere else they have socialized medicine which means that in general there are more doctors. You also don't have groups like the AMA deliberately capping how many doctors there can be each year thanks to their ability to restrict residencies.

This situation is 100% because we don't regulate this stuff and allow a free market, which means that if there is going to be a deliberately smaller group of doctors allowed in, then the lack of supply is going to keep doctor salaries and patient costs going up indefinitely. Obviously this isn't the main problem with our bullshit system but it's part of it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He was pardoned by Ford almost immediately after he took office, so they couldn't.

They should have told Ford to go gently caress himself. The power of the presidential pardon shouldn't be absolute, and allowing the pardon of Nixon set an insanely dangerous precedent, where now we're looking at the possibility of Trump getting reelected and pardoning himself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1688658974130724865?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

Between this and the Fox News meltdown yesterday, you can tell the right is really, really mad we stole their meme

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But all of Trump's attorneys are volunteers without paid employment arrangements eventually...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Fister Roboto posted:

They should have told Ford to go gently caress himself. The power of the presidential pardon shouldn't be absolute, and allowing the pardon of Nixon set an insanely dangerous precedent, where now we're looking at the possibility of Trump getting reelected and pardoning himself.

You say that like Trump gives a poo poo about precedent.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why don't the Democrats simply pretend that laws don't exist?

If they had tried to convict Nixon after he was pardoned any judge in the country would have said, "No. He was pardoned, by the President."

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1688482767120838656

Maybe one day he will, but I'm not holding my breath. Still, it's pretty cathartic to watch!

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

Even considering the unhealthy incentives and artificial limitations, and even if we are paying doctors too much in relative terms, I'm much happier seeing them on top of the income pile compared to a useless vocation like CEO.

You should meet the doctors who actually make this type of money. They provide a service, yes, but they're primarily in it to crank patients out like a factory and make a stack of cash. This sometimes conflicts with appropriate patient care.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

ummel posted:

You should meet the doctors who actually make this type of money. They provide a service, yes, but they're primarily in it to crank patients out like a factory and make a stack of cash. This sometimes conflicts with appropriate patient care.

Is that really true? I would figure the ones at the top of the income scale are the ones who are working in surgical roles. Not exactly the ones seeing 100 patients a day.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ummel posted:

On the Venn diagram of "Doctors who make a ton of money" and "Doctors who legitimately want to help people," the overlap is usually the hyperspecialized folks as pointed out in the article. Neurosurgeon, etc.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

koolkal posted:

Is that really true? I would figure the ones at the top of the income scale are the ones who are working in surgical roles. Not exactly the ones seeing 100 patients a day.

The ones at the top are coming in for one week or less out of the month to do procedures and then loving off to their yacht the rest of the time. Below that is the class that co-operates a clinic and churns through 40+ patients a day.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BiggerBoat posted:

Gyges lives in NE FL (if I remember right) and will back me up that the Florida Dem Party may as well not even exist. I've even tried to volunteer for them before and all they seem to want, besides my money, is for me to basically telemarket to get other people to give them money. I've offered my graphic design skills for mailers, logos and signs and poo poo but nope.

I'm always reminded of 2008, when I came out to campaign for Obama. Everyone under 40 was cool and welcoming. Those older gave me poo poo, to the point where I was accused of being a Republican plant come to ruin things.

When Obama blew up his machine, who do you think was still showing up for party meetings? The old people who hated the youths and their stupid enthusiasm. The ones who would yell at a young guy in an Obama shirt, trying to figure out how best to help, that they were actually a spy. People who spent an entire canvasing rally bitching about how slutty/slobby/ghetto all the stupid kids were dressed. That's the FL Democrats. A bunch of hateful old assholes who would rather nobody show up and loose than have to work with someone different.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don’t really know what kind of brain worms or mental gymnastics you need to rationalize this but I spoke with someone today who said she was going to vote for Trump because all the other candidates are lunatic conspiracy theorists.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Prism posted:

Maybe one day he will, but I'm not holding my breath. Still, it's pretty cathartic to watch!

If you watch this muted he’s moving his mouth around like how ancient people without teeth do.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t really know what kind of brain worms or mental gymnastics you need to rationalize this but I spoke with someone today who said she was going to vote for Trump because all the other candidates are lunatic conspiracy theorists.

All the other <Republican> candidates. And JFK Jr. Who is a Republican plant.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Prism posted:

This is an idiosyncratic KY politics thing called the Fancy Farm Picnic, and everyone, R or D, basically has to do it. It's essentially a political roast and the crowd is highly partisan and each side tries to heckle the other's speaker to death.

Beshear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXUfB5u4gnk

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fister Roboto posted:

Dems would have had to take Ford to court and it's unclear if they would even have standing. I agree that it's bullshit but with Nixon already gone they weren't going to continue to go after him.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

ummel posted:

I just had ankle surgery and did feel like they were stacking us up a bit in pre-op, but I also figured that they only do surgery 2 days a week so probably schedule it like that to maximize everyone's time, and there is probably no shortage of patients for orthopedic surgeons, so they probably have demand that exceeds their ability to provide care regardless of how much time they spent on each patient. Not too sure about that last point, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

Why don't the Democrats simply pretend that laws don't exist?

If they had tried to convict Nixon after he was pardoned any judge in the country would have said, "No. He was pardoned, by the President."

Cool, they still should have at least tried. Letting such a gross abuse of power go unchallenged is much worse than challenging it and failing. This is an extremely defeatist attitude.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The challenge failed when Ford pardoned Nixon. Sometimes there isn't One Weird Trick to win everything.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Cool, they still should have at least tried. Letting such a gross abuse of power go unchallenged is much worse than challenging it and failing. This is an extremely defeatist attitude.

No they shouldn't have and it's useless to pretend otherwise. The crime was pardoned and there was nothing to prosecute. It set no precedent because it was already spelled out in the Constitution

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Fart Amplifier posted:

No they shouldn't have and it's useless to pretend otherwise. The crime was pardoned and there was nothing to prosecute. It set no precedent because it was already spelled out in the Constitution

Fister Roboto isn't saying the pardon itself was precedent-setting. The "President gets to escape justice" is the precedent being discussed.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

If it helps, Ford used to 'joke' that he knew he was going to Hell for pardoning Dick.

Unfortunately this argument ultimately boils down to how to US governance and legislative system is held together with chewed gum and paper clips; it would be a constitutional crisis, ultimately, if the courts tried to directly challenge the POTUS. Of course it is :decorum: too, but there aren't clear release valves to that kind of conflict outside of the president trying to order the military to do something, and that probably wasn't seen as an option during the Cold War, even if it wasn't in its hottest phase.

At least this time around the system is kinda in agreement about going after the moist orange ex-president. Talking heads on Fox and pals saying treason is fine if our big boy does it doesn't make it a legal argument, they're just venting and producing click-bait. As traumatic as January 6 might be, their little armed insurrection didn't actually work out. At least the racist monsters managed to create a Confederate army back then, this time not so much.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Judgy Fucker posted:

Fister Roboto isn't saying the pardon itself was precedent-setting. The "President gets to escape justice" is the precedent being discussed.

Yes, thank you. Part of Congress's job is serving as a check on the executive's power. This is the point where they should have done something to limit the president's power to pardon literally anyone of any crime, including himself.

If Trump does get reelected and pardons himself, what should be done? Should Congress challenge this, or should they just give up because the rules say they can't do anything?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

zoux posted:

This is an idiosyncratic KY politics thing called the Fancy Farm Picnic, and everyone, R or D, basically has to do it. It's essentially a political roast and the crowd is highly partisan and each side tries to heckle the other's speaker to death.

Beshear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXUfB5u4gnk

well, you know, i'm not opposed to this being a tradition

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

If Trump does get reelected and pardons himself, what should be done? Should Congress challenge this, or should they just give up because the rules say they can't do anything?

If they follow your advice they'll be too busy filing lawsuits challenging the vote counting process, since letting that go unchallenged is much worse than challenging it and failing.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

James Garfield posted:

If they follow your advice they'll be too busy filing lawsuits challenging the vote counting process, since letting that go unchallenged is much worse than challenging it and failing.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes, thank you. Part of Congress's job is serving as a check on the executive's power. This is the point where they should have done something to limit the president's power to pardon literally anyone of any crime, including himself.

The rules don't though. Self-pardons are a non-settled legal issue that's been debated since Nixon. But the ability of the president to pardon a former president is extremely settled, and like all other presidential pardons is a one-way check on the power of Congress to create federal crimes.

Was it still pretty bullshit? Well, yeah. But I'm not really sure how the universe where congressional Democrats filed a frivolous lawsuit in 1974 would be different than this one and that isn't the kind of call that needs hindsight.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Fister Roboto posted:

The power of the presidential pardon is one of the few things explicitly laid out in the Constitution. You'd need a constitutional amendment to change it. The only thing they explicitly say they can't pardon in the Constitution is impeachment.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ummel posted:

Not disputing that, but they still probably help somebody, even if it's not in the best manner possible. I'll take that over CEOs who don't help anybody.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

They serve as a check via impeachment. Congress can't limit the pardon power. What you want is a constitutional amendment.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What are the odds Nixon stopped doing crimes in August 1974?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fart Amplifier posted:

They serve as a check via impeachment. Congress can't limit the pardon power. What you want is a constitutional amendment.

And as we've seen multiple times, impeachment does absolutely gently caress all. It's a worthless check. All I'm seeing is that the system is fundamentally broken. We can't expect it to fix itself.