Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Anyone got Baldur's Gate 3 yet? Looks like a timesink of epic proportions.

It's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Anyone got Baldur's Gate 3 yet? Looks like a timesink of epic proportions.

Yeah but I’m still working on the Diablo 4 season so I haven’t played much past the intro. It’s pretty amazing a game like BG3 exists and is as successful as it seems to be.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Very tempted to get BG3 even if paying $60 for a videogame feels like anathema after having spent a lifetime buying everything for pocket change on various steam sales. But perhaps it's a small price to pay for going on the horny warlock adventure of my dreams.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
bg3 is worth full price. its big. really big. lots of options.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm like 15-20 hours into BG3 and I'm still in Act 1 and pretty sure a decent chunk of it left. Granted part of that is alt tabbed looking things up, but this is an insanely dense game.

Highly recommend playing as a bard, you quickly just utterly dominate all of your skill checks.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 8, 2023

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Yea, bard for your first run is a solid choice.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i got too much poo poo to finish at the moment- TotK, Inshin, No Mans Sky, and ive barely touched SF6 due to life being crazy busy right now.

BG3 looks good for this winter for me though

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Free key for a game I already owned.

03E8Q-MXJXV-3VJCF

Unity of Command: Stalingrad campaign.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Well, I caved and got BG3. A handful of hours in now and I can only echo what everyone else has been saying, feels a lot like the kind of game Bioware would make back when they were really on a roll 10-15 years ago.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

god dammit, I wasn't even remotely interested in buying it or playing it but the non-stop gushing of love is making me reallllllly think about it now.

And I got birthday money to burn. gently caress.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Well, I caved and got BG3. A handful of hours in now and I can only echo what everyone else has been saying, feels a lot like the kind of game Bioware would make back when they were really on a roll 10-15 years ago.

I wasn't going to get it until I realized that Larian made it, and they made Divinity: Original Sin 2, which was the best RPG I've played in the last several years. I can already feel their influence in how it plays in combat, the environments, how it feels like things are placed with purpose. Excited to play more.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Just going to echo that BG3 is 100% worth a buy.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I've only played the intro and that alone was worth the price

e] my only complaint is that loving Larian Studios do not need their own game launcher/account

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Opening weekend stats dropped for bg3 release

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/6199820457241938859

ded fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 11, 2023

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I really hope Larian just keeps on making separate D&D adventures, rather than continuing Baldur's Gate.

Kind of like the video game equivalent to all the various campaign modules you can buy for the tabletop game.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I....I ate a roasted miniature giant space hamster for camping supplies last night. I'm somewhat afraid to hear the truth behind who that might have been. There's been some really amazing characters in the franchise and so far Karlach is my current champion and, well, champion. Lae'zel and Astarion too. I can't bring myself to care much about Gale or Wyll so far. I'm playing a wizard myself so they just sit in camp and threaten to blow up at me on one hand and go all emo-sulk on the other.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Really I just want a follower who can talk to animals at will or near enough. Even if they do nothing for me in combat. Gale and Wyll are who I bring out when I don't want to long rest and everyone has burned all their abilities and is sitting on like 2 HP each. (I am now a dozen hours in and I have not long rested yet).

I read enough to know that taking a long rest is usually not going to advance anything or fail an event, but goddammit, I was told that we are in a hurry!

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Quake 2 got a stealth remaster, and if you already own the original on Steam you get it for free. It includes the original expansions plus a new expansion, cut content, and Quake 2 64. There are new areas and enemy behaviors.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Also, re: BG3, I'm a little disappointed they went with a 4 party member limit. I know a lot of modern RPGs do that, but it's restricting if you want to have the usual D&D archetypes (fighter, rogue, mage, cleric) but you're not playing one of them. Fortunately there are mods to change that.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Punished Ape posted:

Also, re: BG3, I'm a little disappointed they went with a 4 party member limit. I know a lot of modern RPGs do that, but it's restricting if you want to have the usual D&D archetypes (fighter, rogue, mage, cleric) but you're not playing one of them. Fortunately there are mods to change that.

BG3 is D&D 5E on the DOS2 engine. And a lot of compromises were made to wedge in the 5E ruleset.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

Really I just want a follower who can talk to animals at will or near enough. Even if they do nothing for me in combat. Gale and Wyll are who I bring out when I don't want to long rest and everyone has burned all their abilities and is sitting on like 2 HP each. (I am now a dozen hours in and I have not long rested yet).

I read enough to know that taking a long rest is usually not going to advance anything or fail an event, but goddammit, I was told that we are in a hurry!

Karlach is my speak-with-animals source with her barbarian subclass, and I have a necklace that does speak-with-dead that I usually keep on Astarion.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Just finished everything in Act 1 of BG3 that I could find, took 40 hours and got me to level 7. Still 2 acts left and the first one alone feels like an entire game.

Larian really knocked it out of the park with this one.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Just finished everything in Act 1 of BG3 that I could find, took 40 hours and got me to level 7. Still 2 acts left and the first one alone feels like an entire game.

Larian really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Hell yeah. I’m in act 1 at 30-ish hours of play and level 4.

I just learned that if you electrocute someone horribly, you cannot undead interrogate them… boooo. I wanted to question Gundrel the wouldbe vamp slayer

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

I can't bring myself to care much about Gale or Wyll so far. I'm playing a wizard myself so they just sit in camp and threaten to blow up at me on one hand and go all emo-sulk on the other.

lol.

Also gale is a big idiot.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I think I'm maybe halfway through act 1 and I just blew up a goblin warlord with a gunpowder barrel IED, A+ game 👍

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Next up, owlbear-based tactical nuclear air strikes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://kotaku.com/baldurs-gate-3-bg3-monk-build-best-op-1850752068

Turns out the best sustained damage you can get is knife handing people.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CainFortea posted:

https://kotaku.com/baldurs-gate-3-bg3-monk-build-best-op-1850752068

Turns out the best sustained damage you can get is knife handing people.

So the most effective build is to go Hokuto no Ken, gently caress your wizard nonsense.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i really hate these "this build is so op!" but its a max level thing which is near the end of the game and bg3 has 50+ hours of stuff before that

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
This evenings addiction has been "To The Core", which is some sort of hybrid between Vampire Survivors and a cookie clicker I guess? You gotta break rocks until you run out of fuel, and then spend those rocks on upgrading your rock breaking. Initially your runs are like 20 seconds, and in a few hours you're devouring whole planets in a minute. The cookie clicker side is that there are all these side production chains to make secondary's, as well as "farm" resources once you start devouring planetary cores. The even more important cookie clicker side is that much like Universal paperclips while you start out with "Aquire 10 Iron" it quicketly gets to "Acquire 15 Septillion Dark Matter"

Its very addictive.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

vampire survivors is on switch finally and it feels goddamn perfect on there

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

vampire survivors is on switch finally and it feels goddamn perfect on there

More games need modes where you play as a dog or a tree.

Edit: Just found the dog in BG3. Its a larain game so of course I have talk to animals on my main. The dog is a good boy and reacts appropriately when you tell him as much. There is also a squirrel who is willing to fight you for territory.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Steezo posted:

More games need modes where you play as a dog or a tree.

i learned about VS like last month and been playing on PC just hoping for a switch version eventually, im lucky as hell i didnt have to wait long

excellent game, really good grind and difficulty curve, and just hella fun and cheap as all hell

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i learned about VS like last month and been playing on PC just hoping for a switch version eventually, im lucky as hell i didnt have to wait long

excellent game, really good grind and difficulty curve, and just hella fun and cheap as all hell

Vampire Survivors and the FF14 boss fight raids for Endwalker are a better Castlevania tribute than whatever Konami decided to do with pachinko machines. Trying to think of other games where you can be a dog and aside from Rise of the Triad and Okami I'm having trouble thinking of anything.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
New Stalker 2 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcDHClWRHd8

Bad news is it got pushed back to Q1 next year.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wrong Theory posted:

New Stalker 2 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcDHClWRHd8

Bad news is it got pushed back to Q1 next year.

It's good news!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I will depend on goons to blaze the trail for Stalker 2 and report back. The first one had so much jank I couldn't take it and never made it past the first few fights I died in, and then the invisible orb that I died to.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

A.o.D. posted:

It's good news!

Agreed. None of the promotional videos looked correct up until now. This trailer looked like stalker and I'm suddenly optimistic that it will be an actual, playable thing at some point in the future.

Now will it fully work? Eh, it's a stalker game, I'll give it way more leash than I would Starfield.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Agreed. None of the promotional videos looked correct up until now. This trailer looked like stalker and I'm suddenly optimistic that it will be an actual, playable thing at some point in the future.

Now will it fully work? Eh, it's a stalker game, I'll give it way more leash than I would Starfield.

It's not a slav game without a little slav jank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just about 100 hours into BG3 and had my first crash in the sewers of Act III