Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

side_burned posted:

So what is consensus on Morison's run on New X-Men these days? Every few years I try rereading to so if I finally get what exactly people liked about it. Riot at Xavier's is good and the highlight of the whole thing but the rest if it never worked for me.

My first year on SA I typed an embracing amount of words that boiled down to "New X-Men is bad actually." Hopefully it will finally click with me this time.

I always felt it seemed weirdly reactionary - Morrison introduces so many new young characters, and all of them end up being duped into working for the baddies at some point. Quentin Quire is basically just a rant about college kids with their Che T-Shirts. 'Mutant culture' seems to basically consist of taking drugs and dying. It plays at being a new direction for the X-Men, but it ends up having the message of 'shut up, sit down, listen to the grown ups.'

And I'm still mad at Morrison for blowing up Genosha so thoughtlessly, essentially just to build up a (fairly boring) new villain. Earlier stories hadn't always used Genosha to its full potential, but it was great to have it, as a place where, because it was a fictional country, things could actually change and mutants could be more than just an eternally oppressed minority.

Plus the art was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
In case Jed needed the ego boost today: https://old.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/15irkbu/moon_knight_lets_villain_control_him_by_getting/

Still one of the best things I've ever read.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I reread Morrison's X-Men and liked it better now than when it came out, but there were still some bad parts. Angel is still an unpleasant character with no purpose. His Magento is more of a meta commentary than character and is terrible.

But his Emma is great and anytime she's featured is a treat. Assault on Weapon Plus is a fun story, especially the issue with drunk Scott and Logan at the Hellfire Club. And ending the run by asking they keep Scott and Emma a couple really did set up the next generation of X-Men comics really nicely.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Here's some news, it's going to be sick

Edit: "what if the Avengers were the Avengers" is such a good idea that I'm furious that I didn't think of it

High praise indeed!

Also I know you mentioned you had a pitch of B-list Avengers that you didn't go with, can you tell us who was on the roster or are you saving that idea for later?

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Codependent Poster posted:

His Magento is more of a meta commentary than character and is terrible.

Yeah meta commentary where there should be characters somes up the biggest weakness of the whole run.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It's convenient Xorn had a brother

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Yvonmukluk posted:

High praise indeed!

Also I know you mentioned you had a pitch of B-list Avengers that you didn't go with, can you tell us who was on the roster or are you saving that idea for later?

I don't mind talking about generalities, but getting into specifics in public isn't usually something I like to do. It's partly to do with what you mentioned- if something is out there, then I can't use it later on down the line, but also talking about "what might have been" doesn't really have any upside. If it's a good idea, people get upset that it won't happen (and can annoy the editor who turned it down), and if it's a bad idea, then I'm just telling the internet about times I was bad at my job, haha

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I don't mind talking about generalities, but getting into specifics in public isn't usually something I like to do. It's partly to do with what you mentioned- if something is out there, then I can't use it later on down the line, but also talking about "what might have been" doesn't really have any upside. If it's a good idea, people get upset that it won't happen (and can annoy the editor who turned it down), and if it's a bad idea, then I'm just telling the internet about times I was bad at my job, haha

That's a fair point.

Here's hoping you get a chance to try that idea in some form down the line.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Angry Salami posted:

And I'm still mad at Morrison for blowing up Genosha so thoughtlessly, essentially just to build up a (fairly boring) new villain. Earlier stories hadn't always used Genosha to its full potential, but it was great to have it, as a place where, because it was a fictional country, things could actually change and mutants could be more than just an eternally oppressed minority.

The only time it was never a place for eternally oppressed minority was the story line right before Morrison’s run. Previous to that it either mutants as slaves, mutants and humans fighting for political power, or mutants with legacy virus being left to die.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Tell me if I am wrong but was the issue of New X-Men where the team is pick the ruins of Genosha the one that shipped in September 2001?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That was the one year anniversary. The issue where Genosha gets destroyed, along with a Sentinel made with parts of a jet being flown into a building, was the one that came out right before 9/11.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I suppose it's easy to look back on a twenty-two year-old comic book from our vantage point as advanced future humans and find it regressive, but surely we can at least agree that the X-Men wouldn't be anything like it is today if it weren't for Morrison? It seems crazy to imagine now that the X-Men used to have secret identities and that no one even knew Charles Xavier was a mutant before Morrison. Who knows what the mutant metaphor would even be like today, if it hadn't been for Morrison's run.

And I'm sorry, but it's silly to prop up Genosha as some brilliant fertile concept that Morrison somehow squandered. Barely anyone even knew it existed before it got blown up and it really had zero impact on anything at all.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i read the genosha genocide a couple days ago out of curiosity and i can't speak to the larger concerns but i thought it was pretty funny the whole actual destruction happens mostly off panel and then afterwards focuses on negasonic's dead body before moving on with the cassandra nova part of the story. it didn't seem overly concerned with the gravity of what just occured

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

I suppose it's easy to look back on a twenty-two year-old comic book from our vantage point as advanced future humans and find it regressive, but surely we can at least agree that the X-Men wouldn't be anything like it is today if it weren't for Morrison? It seems crazy to imagine now that the X-Men used to have secret identities and that no one even knew Charles Xavier was a mutant before Morrison. Who knows what the mutant metaphor would even be like today, if it hadn't been for Morrison's run.

And I'm sorry, but it's silly to prop up Genosha as some brilliant fertile concept that Morrison somehow squandered. Barely anyone even knew it existed before it got blown up and it really had zero impact on anything at all.

yeah, I hate the morrison run, but you are correct, it really shook things up and helped us get to where we are today. I just won't ever read it again lol

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
See how it shook things up is exactly why it's terrible, opened the floodgates for a lot of really lovely edgelord crap from other creators misunderstanding why Morrison's X-Men run sold well*

*sure one could say the same thing for Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns back in the 80's and how they inspired all sorts of schlock that clogged up the shelves through the 90's but at least those comics were actually good

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I don’t know who wanted this, but apparently someone did

https://twitter.com/spiderman/status/1688661236785766400?s=46&t=jsXI_L75JAqioMEUgiTVQg

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I can't even tell what's going on in that image tbh.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's radioactive jizz spider-man.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Two More Days.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I actually really like Reign(even if it really needed to dial back the edginess a solid 35% or so and does a couple other things that irk me a little*) but I'm not sure there's really much you can do with a sequel at least without having to do a bunch of retcons or something

*most of which has to do with how Reign does basically no explaining at all regarding how the world ended up the way it is, particularly regarding anyone outside of the Spider-Man segment(compared to say most of the other dystopian/apocalyptic Marvel futures)

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Time to write a new Spider-Man comic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jiro posted:

I can't even tell what's going on in that image tbh.

No clue. Is MJ growing out of him like a second head?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

drrockso20 posted:

I actually really like Reign(even if it really needed to dial back the edginess a solid 35% or so and does a couple other things that irk me a little*) but I'm not sure there's really much you can do with a sequel at least without having to do a bunch of retcons or something

*most of which has to do with how Reign does basically no explaining at all regarding how the world ended up the way it is, particularly regarding anyone outside of the Spider-Man segment(compared to say most of the other dystopian/apocalyptic Marvel futures)

I like Reign, but mostly because it's very much not good and wraps around to being amazing (spectacular, even). Also agree, no idea how you'd do a sequel.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

catlord posted:

I like Reign, but mostly because it's very much not good and wraps around to being amazing (spectacular, even). Also agree, no idea how you'd do a sequel.

The best idea I've got is retconning Sandman's daughter dying and having the focus be primarily on her

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm curious as to what edgy grimdark comics exactly people think were inspired by Morrison? In an era of Millers, Millars, Bendises, and Johnses, I wouldn't usually put Morrison anywhere near the top of any edgelord lists.

I mean for pete's sake we're talking about spider-jizz right now

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Magneto should have stayed dead much longer and a villain forever.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I'm curious as to what edgy grimdark comics exactly people think were inspired by Morrison? In an era of Millers, Millars, Bendises, and Johnses, I wouldn't usually put Morrison anywhere near the top of any edgelord lists.

They didn't inspire them in any direct fashion just that their run sold really well and everyone paying attention to those sales numbers attributed it to the wrong aspects of that run and imitated those parts, which is exactly what happened back in the 80's with Watchmen and DKR

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Can't wait to see old Peter's tiny dick and balls again.

Thranguy posted:

Magneto is much better as an anti-hero/hero.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Yeah gently caress Reign anyway.

Been catching up on Avengers and I'm continuing to enjoy it despite not being particularly in love with a majority of the cast. It's probably a good sign then that my favourite scene in the third issue was the scene where Jed has them all display their character and position in the team in information gathering, diagnosis and shot-calling. Carol feels like a leader, probably helped by the absence of Steve Rogers giving her some room to breathe, and the whackadoo bad guys match up with the team nicely and allow them to showcase their whole deal.

Plus he turned the downtown core of Toronto into a Salvador Dali painting, which frankly is only going to please those of us trying to get on the ludicrous housing ladder here.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

BrianWilly posted:

I don't usually agree with you, but you're right with this one. Putting all the blame on Morrison for the excesses of '00s Marvel seems strange when it was coming out alongside Millar's early work in the Ultimate Universe. Morrison's first issue of New X-Men came out something like nine months before the first issue of Millar's Ultimates.

If there's one thing I'd put on Morrison, it's dragging Marvel firmly out of the '90s and into the Quesada "iconic" era, particularly with cover design. If you look at the Fandom wiki for the first issue of Morrison's run, most of the other books that were coming out at the time were still Bob Harras-era generic superhero comics. Morrison and Quitely streamlined the look, went for minimalist cover art, and soon the rest of the line had all abandoned the similar branding in favor of messing with the overall format.

As for the "grim darkness" of '00s comics, I'd put that far more on Millar, Chuck Austen, and Geoff Johns.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd say it started even earlier than that, you could probably draw a wriggly line all the way back to Watchmen's descendants. the 90s were lousy with mutants with knives, guns and/or gunknives.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

BrianWilly posted:

Goons nebulously whining about edginess like a bunch of uptight, easily appalled Victorian maiden aunts just means it’s Tuesday.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

You know, I was just recently thinking about how much fun it could be (emphasis on could) if Marvel released a prequel to Spider-Man: Reign detailing NYC's slide into authoritarianism and the birth of the Reign. I think that would be a lot more interesting than a direct sequel, which would either have to justify the return of the Reign and the WEBB forces or leave the title as an artifact while the story takes the form a regular Spider-Man arc except he's old now.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 8, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If you read me a summary of Morrison's X-men I'd probably hate it, but it's a really well written story that survives multiple reads.

I think a lot of the responses to it are where things have largely gone wrong. From Xorn-as-just-some-guy to AvX we had like 15 years of people picking up Morrison threads and it being exactly as bad as I thought Morrison's run would be because it just is too far away from what I think of as core to x-men.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thranguy posted:

John Byrne alt spotted.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

John Byrne alt spotted.

Malicious comment

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm pretty sure One More Day and Clone Saga are more notorious

As for Morrison's X-Men, I honestly don't find that it trades too much in grim darkness as much as Authority-style "cinematic epic scale" like you see other books like the Ultimates riffing on too. I'm not a big fan, but I have a certain respect for it, even if I find the public-service style uniforms to to be really annoying and terrible.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rick posted:

I think a lot of the responses to it are where things have largely gone wrong. From Xorn-as-just-some-guy to AvX we had like 15 years of people picking up Morrison threads and it being exactly as bad as I thought Morrison's run would be because it just is too far away from what I think of as core to x-men.

Thinking about it, Morrison was the vanguard of the early-2000s trend which seemed like it was evolving the line away from superhero books. Costumes and secret identities were increasingly out (except for Spider-Man), while a lot of books like post-9/11 Captain America, Geoff Johns' Avengers run, and especially Millar's Ultimates are more like military science fiction.

It's an interesting thought exercise: what if Marvel had embraced Morrison instead of retreating as fast and hard as possible? Civil War could've been the official jumping-off point to go from a superhero universe to a much broader genre-pool.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So is Reign 2 indicative of Spider Editorial going forward? People don’t like the current stories so might as well get people interested in potential trainwrecks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Grant Morrison's run was good, not perfect, but did a lot of things like making a mutant sub-culture and a minority class and having enough threads that continued for the X-Men well beyond his run. The art was also inconsistent which is disappointing. There's a lot of great ideas and things put forth in his run that inspired other writers to mine it for years and he got the X-Men out of stagnation.