Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

weg posted:

The Americans spent millions perfecting an ejection seat while the Russians simply use the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1688526625346932737
Are you even capable of doing that? Because if you were, you'd already have spun up the wheels after your repeated defeats last year.
Things must be getting grim if Putin is reduced to meeting people at a normal length table.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

I think the strategic forces guys are on the line because last fall, shortly before the first conscription round, they had a manpower crisis and sent in everyone who was serving on a deployable contract, including their training cadres and the base security guys protecting nuclear missiles.

The explanation is partly that they also have tons of people with non-deployable contracts, so they could easily replace the base security guys. The trainers were a lot more dire.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

steinrokkan posted:

The Soviets did a similar thing in WWII with their sailors, who were mostly useless in their normal role - sending them to fight in their sailor uniforms in "naval infantry" battalions throughout 1941 with little to no land combat training.

Is that where the stereotypical "Russian wearing blue striped T-shirt" comes from?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

The imperial death cult wasn't even as unified as people think, or they wouldn't have tried to overthrow and/or otherwise subvert the emperor when it came to considering peace deals. the imperial death cult turned out to just be a death cult that found it convenient to be attached to the emperor because the emperor would let them have as much death as they wanted up until he went "wait that might include my death too" and wanted to sue for peace post-nukes

e: just noticed gigolo specified 1942 but still, even in 1942 there were major divisions in the factional infighting that was endemic to the japanese imperial court, specifically the IJA vs the IJN that blatantly ignored several imperial directives to stop loving with each other

Mainly talking about Japan as a whole. I mean the entire society at that time was under total mobilization culturally and Industrially. Ready to die at a moments notice for the empire/emperor. Even if there were divisions. They were not divided on dying just how to die when and why.

This isnt meant to be some racist caricature or anything. Japan in WW2 has the fiercest warriors of the war.

Russia would Love To have the culture that Japan did at this time. Because they wouldn't have to nab people off the street. They'd be lining up in droves To fight.

My whole point is they call out Japans culture whole also wanting the exaxt thing they call out.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Vaginaface posted:

Is that where the stereotypical "Russian wearing blue striped T-shirt" comes from?

Yes, the blue striped T-shirts are for their sailors, marine corps, submariners, and VEE DEE VEE. Funny story, a serving admiral actually got angry when the VEE DEE VEE were given those shirts as part of their uniform, because he felt that only sailors had the right to wear them. GRU and FSB officers also wear them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I logged into a steam account I used to play deep rock galactic on. I had a half dozen Russian friends that I'd play with and speak Russia to just to improve.

They have all last been online 1 years ago as of September 2022.

Wow. They're loving dead aren't they 😟

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I logged into a steam account I used to play deep rock galactic on. I had a half dozen Russian friends that I'd play with and speak Russia to just to improve.

:(

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

:rip:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I've heard from just 1 of my Russian friends since this whole thing kicked off (compared to regular check-ins from my Ukrainian friends. They go out of their way to let me know they're okay at least once a week). Don't be too surprised if you can't get in touch with them, it doesn't necessarily mean they got 200'd. Roskomnadzor actively monitors internet traffic and Russian internet surveillance makes the US look like a nosy neighbor. And it's really easy to bring attention on yourself if you are interacting with western contacts at the moment.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Rock and stone

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

HonorableTB posted:

47 bradleys sounds like a lot til you realize the US has 4,000 of them just sitting around gathering dust and they've already pledged to replace any lost or destroyed Bradleys with new ones

e: sorry, 4,641 of the M2 variant we're giving Ukraine
also when you consider that bradleys get used for loving everything on battlefields like ukraine since they're instant combined arms: just add dudes

considering how long they've been getting used and how tough the fighting looks with the snippets we get 47 is not much at all in my mind.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The funniest Russian social media thing I saw was looking up a guy from an old news article, and finding out he's now a local history nut.

One of his recent posts was basically

*really old picture of him in the army*
I remember the old days, decades ago, where we'd train side-by-side with Ukranians, shooting targets at the range and shooting the poo poo on guard duty ... and now things have changed for them, and of course for us. But back then we always knew we were training to protect the fatherland.

And now the fatherland needs protection... from the bloated leeches who sit in government positions, and who REFUSE TO FUND LOCAL HISTORY MUSEUMS AND ARCHAEOLOGY!!!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Ngl Indiana Joneski sounds pretty lit

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I am Hopeful I get to see a Russian capture one of those bradley specific M16s and try to use it

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why's that?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I am Hopeful I get to see a Russian capture one of those bradley specific M16s and try to use it

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M231_Firing_Port_Weapon

It's a horrifyingly hosed up mutant of an M16 that basically isn't one anymore, that fires at 1225 rounds per minute. Or, in other words, you'd exhaust an entire 30 round magazine in ~1.5 seconds if you just held the trigger down.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

ishikabibble posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M231_Firing_Port_Weapon

It's a horrifyingly hosed up mutant of an M16 that basically isn't one anymore, that fires at 1225 rounds per minute. Or, in other words, you'd exhaust an entire 30 round magazine in ~1.5 seconds if you just held the trigger down.

:stare:

that's, like, MG42 speeds. how many 30rd mags do they tool around with?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Coolguye posted:

also when you consider that bradleys get used for loving everything on battlefields like ukraine since they're instant combined arms: just add dudes

considering how long they've been getting used and how tough the fighting looks with the snippets we get 47 is not much at all in my mind.

Oryx says 186 M2s and 4 more M7 Bradley Fire Support variants.

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/04/answering-call-heavy-weaponry-supplied.html?m=1

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

weg posted:

The Americans spent millions perfecting an ejection seat while the Russians simply use the ground.

:pusheen:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Oh, I love that thing. Doesn’t it use special bullets because regular bullets start tumbling the second they leave the barrel?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

TaurusTorus posted:

Oh, I love that thing. Doesn’t it use special bullets because regular bullets start tumbling the second they leave the barrel?

The bullets do have trouble stabilizing before they leave the barrel, but they wobble more than tumble. And it doesn't really use "special" ammo, but it does exclusively use tracer rounds to help keep them on target. They used to come with wire stocks but they got rid of them for various reasons, the funniest of which is that they were worried some knuckleheaded grunts would try to use these in place of their rifle.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Szyg0cA.mp4

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Gay Ukrainian super soldiers are seen using witchcraft to train a kitten (witch?) to assassinate noble Russian liberators

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I just imagine the Russians handing this to some like 45KG 18 year old mobnik not knowing what the gently caress it is.

Or the lol is they give it to kadyrov and we see him tried to tap it in a prone position

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

E: misunderstood the post

DiomedesGodshill fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 8, 2023

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Aeroflot Deactivates Brakes on Nine Aircraft, Relies Solely on Reverse Thrust

Due to Aeroflot's inability to replace worn-out brakes on its fleet, the airline has requested that its pilots turn off the brakes on affected aircraft. Currently, nine Aeroflot planes are flying with turned brakes: five Boeing 777-300ERs, one Airbus A330-300, one Airbus A320, and two Airbus A321s.

However, landing without the aid of brakes will significantly increase the amount of runway an aircraft uses on landing. Brakes are also necessary for aborting takeoffs, through the use of Auto Brakes, which automatically activate should pilots decide to abort a takeoff for whatever reason.

Despite the airline requesting pilots turn off brakes on affected aircraft, mechanics and technicians in Aeroflot's flight operations department are actively warning pilots of the increased risk of runway overruns.
https://aeroxplorer.com/articles/aeroflot-deactivates-brakes-on-nine-aircraft-relies-solely-on-reverse-thrust.php

Panic and screaming aboard is discouraged by loudly playing the Russian national anthem during landing.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

the popes toes posted:

Aeroflot Deactivates Brakes on Nine Aircraft, Relies Solely on Reverse Thrust

Due to Aeroflot's inability to replace worn-out brakes on its fleet, the airline has requested that its pilots turn off the brakes on affected aircraft. Currently, nine Aeroflot planes are flying with turned brakes: five Boeing 777-300ERs, one Airbus A330-300, one Airbus A320, and two Airbus A321s.

However, landing without the aid of brakes will significantly increase the amount of runway an aircraft uses on landing. Brakes are also necessary for aborting takeoffs, through the use of Auto Brakes, which automatically activate should pilots decide to abort a takeoff for whatever reason.

Despite the airline requesting pilots turn off brakes on affected aircraft, mechanics and technicians in Aeroflot's flight operations department are actively warning pilots of the increased risk of runway overruns.
https://aeroxplorer.com/articles/aeroflot-deactivates-brakes-on-nine-aircraft-relies-solely-on-reverse-thrust.php

Panic and screaming aboard is discouraged by loudly playing the Russian national anthem during landing.

Hold up, I'm gonna share this post here in SAF.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

madeintaipei posted:

Hold up, I'm gonna share this post here in SAF.

in what now?

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Russia will MH17 themselves, to own the libs gay west

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
You joke, but I'm honestly wondering if Russia will withdraw from the war first before a major domestic accident occurs.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

This is the only surprise attack anyone should be subjected to. :hai:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mistle posted:

This is the only surprise attack anyone should be subjected to. :hai:

Tacti Cat

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

I've heard from just 1 of my Russian friends since this whole thing kicked off (compared to regular check-ins from my Ukrainian friends. They go out of their way to let me know they're okay at least once a week). Don't be too surprised if you can't get in touch with them, it doesn't necessarily mean they got 200'd. Roskomnadzor actively monitors internet traffic and Russian internet surveillance makes the US look like a nosy neighbor. And it's really easy to bring attention on yourself if you are interacting with western contacts at the moment.

Anecdotally a lot of mobas are "Quiet" right now because large swathes of russian players are unable to play either due to sanctions violations, being gated to russia servers, or having the game blocked entirely by the russian government for being perfidious russia propaganda. Occasionally as well theyre turning the internet off across russia when bad news is being spread and they don't like it. Happened over the pissgoblin mutiny for instance.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

Anecdotally a lot of mobas are "Quiet" right now because large swathes of russian players are unable to play either due to sanctions violations, being gated to russia servers, or having the game blocked entirely by the russian government for being perfidious russia propaganda. Occasionally as well theyre turning the internet off across russia when bad news is being spread and they don't like it. Happened over the pissgoblin mutiny for instance.

Nothing of what you said here happened

The only games that took a significant effort to block Russian players are some mobile ones

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1688816110072655873#m
A new arms package dropped. More of the same this time.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
♫New car, caviar, four star, daydream
Think I'll buy me a tankie team♫

meanwhile "foreign agents" in Russia look like this

:3:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1688839405706850304#m
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1688844492323880961#m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

god please help me posted:

You joke, but I'm honestly wondering if Russia will withdraw from the war first before a major domestic accident occurs.

Have you forgotten the march on Moscow already?