Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

These are the kind I have, and have had for years. I reuse them until they no longer seal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pretty annoying to wash

They take up a lot of space in the dishwasher cause you have to gape them open to make sure the inside corners get clean

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Washing is really the only issue but I have found that it is easier to do if you fill them up with soap and warm water as soon as you empty it, it makes it a lot easier. Even then some of the greasier foods like pork still leave a thin film after the most rigorous scrubbing.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's what I do, get soap inside and pour hot water in, let that soak and then scrub the inside thoroughly. Making sure to go gentle on the valve. After that, the dishwasher's job is much easier.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hey my food saver has an attachment for sealing those types of bags up and I just haven't found a use for it yet. I think it even came with a couple of em. I'll have to give that a try.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
We tried silicone bags but my wife said they were a pain in the rear end and stopped loving with them pretty quickly.

Eventually we just got an APO to cut down on the plastic waste by doing the bagless sous vide :v:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Steve Yun posted:

Pretty annoying to wash

They take up a lot of space in the dishwasher cause you have to gape them open to make sure the inside corners get clean

Turn them inside out.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Zarin posted:

We tried silicone bags but my wife said they were a pain in the rear end and stopped loving with them pretty quickly.

Eventually we just got an APO to cut down on the plastic waste by doing the bagless sous vide :v:

I'm dumb and my Google is failing, what is an apo?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kwolok posted:

I'm dumb and my Google is failing, what is an apo?
Anova Precision Oven.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anova Precision Oven

Egg

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Oh interesting, does this cook as reliably as sous vide? What's the benefit of this over like a toaster oven?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Kwolok posted:

Oh interesting, does this cook as reliably as sous vide? What's the benefit of this over like a toaster oven?

It seems to be pretty reliable, once you get used to it.

You can use it as a toaster oven, sure, although it's a lot larger than one. But it's also a steam-based (for bagged or bagless) sous vide, a regular oven, a broiler, an air fryer, and probably several other things I forgot.

We basically don't use our gas oven anymore now that we have this thing, it's been really great.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

You say reliable, but I'm on my fourth, soon to be fifth APO from warranty replacement.

And so far each failure mode has been different from the last.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

toplitzin posted:

You say reliable, but I'm on my fourth, soon to be fifth APO from warranty replacement.

And so far each failure mode has been different from the last.

What the christ. How? That's an impressive failure rate or maybe how you are using it is the problem? or your environment? Curious about this cause I've considered getting one.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I went on a tear last night looking up apo stuff and I'm not really impressed nor do I see how it could replace sous vide.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It's great for sous viding steaks which is the number one thing I sous vide. I mostly bought it for steam bread baking though where it's basically the only game in town under $1500 but I'd imagine people are catching up now or will be.

I've had one replaced under warranty also though for the door seal failing which lets steam into the handle which is where the controls are.

We use it constantly though. Big enough for most stuff but small enough and powerful enough that it heats up rapidly. You need to get used to it actually having accurate temperature sensors and controls though it probably cooks things faster at 475 than our wall oven does at 550 just because it actual maintains an accurate temperature rather than having 60 degree swings.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 5, 2023

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Kwolok posted:

I went on a tear last night looking up apo stuff and I'm not really impressed nor do I see how it could replace sous vide.

Bag or no bag, it 100% can replace sous vide.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

sterster posted:

What the christ. How? That's an impressive failure rate or maybe how you are using it is the problem? or your environment? Curious about this cause I've considered getting one.

My bad, my 3rd is slowly dying and the fourth is in the barn. So 3/4 have gone silly, not 4/5.

Failure One posted:

Oven no longer boots/turns on.
Makes a sad beeping noise, the control panel does not come on, nor does it have any connectivity.
Light turns on when oven is opened however.
Video of issue here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EmMQW7FFQwuisHGAA

Failure Two posted:

fan/bearing failure.
video link capturing issue: https://photos.app.goo.gl/k9e8g5uwwS8AZGmHA

Failure Three posted:

Still works usually, so haven't opened a ticket yet.
Light always stays on unless i use the app to turn it off
Panel seems to like making GBS threads itself when the door is closed/randomly will blink and beep/boop randomly.
Sometimes a powercycle stops it.
If the oven is on during this, it will change elements randomly.
video here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mwTmURQRpr8NUiTP6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MJzMsnpEZNEuH6AL7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wh3DMSqUy5rGwD2z8

The fourth still in the box, but we'll see how long it lasts.

It's on a counter/shelf on it's own in the kitchen, with more than the recommended airspace on all 4 sides. Also on it's own 20A circuit.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Does that thing ever go on sale? :( at $699

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Black Friday.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

bird with big dick posted:

We use it constantly though. Big enough for most stuff but small enough and powerful enough that it heats up rapidly. You need to get used to it actually having accurate temperature sensors and controls though it probably cooks things faster at 475 than our wall oven does at 550 just because it actual maintains an accurate temperature rather than having 60 degree swings.

This right here. The required cook time is what I meant by:

Zarin posted:

It seems to be pretty reliable, once you get used to it.

I actually had no loving clue WHY it seemed to cook things so much faster than any oven I've ever used; I assumed maybe just because it was smaller, so everything was closer to the heating element or something?

Never occurred to me that was the reason. Bird with a Big Dick continuing to be a top-tier poster, as always.

Now that I'm thinking about it: is there any easy shortcut to converting recommended oven times to APO times, by chance? For no other reason than trying to ballpark times to decide when to start something when aiming for a specific dinner time.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

qutius posted:

Bag or no bag, it 100% can replace sous vide.

How? I don't see how it can cook as efficiently, effectively, hold temperatures nearly as well, or do long day+++ cooks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The whole gimmick in s-v versus a conventional "air" oven is that it's easy to use a PID to maintain water at a constant temperature, and water in contact with food provides a better transfer of heat than air does...so if you put a slab of meat @4 C/40 F from the fridge into a 54C/130 F water bath, it'll come up to temperature faster and stay in the "danger zone" for a shorter time than it would in air of the same temperature.

Steam isn't as good at transferring heat as water is, but it's still much better than air. And it's reasonably easy to provide a stream of steam at a desired temperature (usually by generating steam at a higher temperature and then mixing it with air from the environment to hit your desired temperature, but I don't know how the APO does it). And s-v cooking temperatures are under 100 C/212 F (because above that you're just boiling the food), so there's no situation in which you can't just make the steam hot enough or anything like that.

It's basically the difference between when you check to see if a dry pan has heated up by holding your hand an inch or two above it, and holding your hand over a pot of boiling water. Holding your hand over a dry pan at 100 C/212 will feel vaguely warm. But if you've ever worked over a pot of boiling water, you know that the steam can and will burn your hands if you're not careful, even though the water isn't any hotter than the 100 C pan.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

SubG posted:

The whole gimmick in s-v versus a conventional "air" oven is that it's easy to use a PID to maintain water at a constant temperature, and water in contact with food provides a better transfer of heat than air does...so if you put a slab of meat @4 C/40 F from the fridge into a 54C/130 F water bath, it'll come up to temperature faster and stay in the "danger zone" for a shorter time than it would in air of the same temperature.

Steam isn't as good at transferring heat as water is, but it's still much better than air. And it's reasonably easy to provide a stream of steam at a desired temperature (usually by generating steam at a higher temperature and then mixing it with air from the environment to hit your desired temperature, but I don't know how the APO does it). And s-v cooking temperatures are under 100 C/212 F (because above that you're just boiling the food), so there's no situation in which you can't just make the steam hot enough or anything like that.

It's basically the difference between when you check to see if a dry pan has heated up by holding your hand an inch or two above it, and holding your hand over a pot of boiling water. Holding your hand over a dry pan at 100 C/212 will feel vaguely warm. But if you've ever worked over a pot of boiling water, you know that the steam can and will burn your hands if you're not careful, even though the water isn't any hotter than the 100 C pan.

Sure I understand all that, but if steam is only kinda as good as water (but still better than air sure) it still feels like it would be harder to maintain and exact temperature, but even if it can, it still seems like a hard sell at ~600 bucks when I can get an immersion circulator for under 100 and have an even more consistent cook. I guess the ability to go without a bag is that much of a huge plus for people?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I think baking is the killer app for the APO. The "bagless s-v" thing is just lagniappe.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We've been very happy with our APO so far. Bit of a learning curve, but it has some really interesting flexibility.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Apart from the warranty issues, I've loved mine. It's pretty much become our primary kitchen appliance.

For just the two of us, the smaller volume really isn't an issue.

The combi-oven features are really useful. The one pan protein and rice pilaf thing is a monthly menu item. The French toast is effortless and so much better for a crowd.

A little bit of steam kicks rear end when air frying.

It's great for making a couple of cookies and not feeling like you're wasting power heating the large oven (especially since it has a stone and steel plate inside).

The SV -> hold -> sear workflow is nice. Especially since you don't have to stop to empty a bag and pour out a bucket to reclaim counter space.

It can make toast, but it's faster to use a toaster, who knew.

The one thing we're still dialing in is the tweaks to frozen pizza.

For thin/rising crust we haven't found the right settings to get both the melty bubbly top and crispy crust. Even had a couple times with brown and crispy toppings and still a warm crust.

Frozen Chicago deep dish has come out with a cold center several times when the rest is looking perfect.

It's also nice having a proofing box in winter. And steam does wonders for my bread, bagels, and even cookies.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

poo poo I guess I'll start watching around November then and see if it goes on sale. I wonder if any other competitors have shown up as well?

Anyone have or dealt with the Chamber Vacuum sealer? I saw its on sale for $259, but in my head it just seems...small. I know it can't do full Mason jars, which isn't really an issue, but I also do larger pieces of meat sometimes. I didn't want to have to get weird about cutting stuff smaller just to justify the use of a $259 appliance.

I am so tired of dealing with anything involving marinade or juice on a normal bag sealer.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Wouldn't steam be the absolute worst thing for air frying? To air fry effectively you want as little moisture as possible so you can actually get the maillard reaction...

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

A little bit of steam goes a long way in increasing the heat transfer abilities of that air.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, the problem with air-frying food with surface moisture is that you're going to spend energy, and therefore time in the oven, boiling that water before the food can get above 212° and into the range where the Maillard reaction happens. That energy cost has already been paid at the point where you're introducing steam into an oven.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's not always about Maillard with the air fryer.

15-25% steam at 425°F gets me super crispy frozen goods (tots/nugs/fries/tenders etc) with about 20-30% time savings.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I find this incredibly hard to believe because surely the moist steam would condense on the food as it's a lower temperature but maybe super heated steam does some bullshit I don't know.

If it's really better, I just don't understand why I'm not seeing people latch onto it. I've been heard a peep about these sorts of ovens from Kenji, or any other popular food science people.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

If I remember, Kinji got one and said he was going to do some videos on it, but then never did. Unless I misses them, or they were paywalled.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

If I remember, Kinji got one and said he was going to do some videos on it, but then never did. Unless I misses them, or they were paywalled.

The only video he's put out in the last two months was about his fridge dying and having to get a new one. I'm guessing life has gotten in the way of making videos at this point.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Kwolok posted:

If it's really better, I just don't understand why I'm not seeing people latch onto it. I've been heard a peep about these sorts of ovens from Kenji, or any other popular food science people.
The APO specifically, or...? Because it's not like the APO is new nor novel technology, it's a (somewhat expensive) consumer-grade appliance that puts something that had only been used in commercial kitchens with reach of home cooks.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

SubG posted:

The APO specifically, or...? Because it's not like the APO is new nor novel technology, it's a (somewhat expensive) consumer-grade appliance that puts something that had only been used in commercial kitchens with reach of home cooks.

Yeah, this is just like how sous vide started to get big too, but when sous vide started to become affordable everyone was talking about it and no one is talking about the APO.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kwolok posted:

Yeah, this is just like how sous vide started to get big too, but when sous vide started to become affordable everyone was talking about it and no one is talking about the APO.

The difference being the $700 price tag and counter space. It's a really cool thing that isn't going to fit the majority of people's conception of how cooking happens, but is going to really suit quite a few people. The APO is much more useful than all those "air fryers" that everyone has a hard on for, and the same sort of craze happened with the InstaPot. Mostly because Instagram is something that exists. The InstaPot to me is just a crockpot that gets hot with a little pressure, but is worthless unless I were to get the expensive one that could be used for everything a pressure cooker is used to do (like sterilize, or pressure canning), but the version that exists that can do that is a magnitude more expensive than just getting a stove top version. It ends up being about use-case, and the APO is going to be for the cooks in the world that get deep into certain aspects of the process and not a general hobbyist. Personally, I think if there was a version that could replace a built in oven I'd be more interested, but mostly I'd be interested in a steam injected oven which is something that really does not play in US appliances. Thermador has one, but I think it's somewhere around 6k. The APO doesn't fit my needs though, because it's just too small. If I'm getting a steam injected oven I want one that can fit a large enough baguette.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Do I want the Anova Precision Cooker 3 for £199 or the Anova Precision Cooker Pro for £229?

The differences I see in specs are:

Pro:
- 1200W rather than 1100W
- Different materials

3:
- Dual band wifi

Edit: Well that's settled. Upon explaining my predicament (my cheap immersion circulator that I use every day broke) to my wife, she'd already ordered me the Anova Precision Cooker 3 for christmas and it arrives in 3 days. What a stroke of luck.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Come back in four months and we’ll give you some of our favorite recipes