Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Endorph posted:

chaf games's website is filled with copy/pastedi nformation including

i do not think this is a japanese company???

Looking into it, they're a South Korean company formed last year in May. They have 5 employees and their claim to fame is distributing Neon Abyss and The Knight Witch, two games already being distributed and with actual publishers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

No update on the court case and no recourse to get your money back if they cut and run or are shut down tomorrow…

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

It might be easier for me to justify the purchase if I think of it as contributing to their ongoing legal fees. Even if the case against them isn't entirely spurious, it's about time someone told Nexon to legally go pound sand for their lovely management decisions.

e: It would literally be just that in my case since there is about a 0% chance that this will work through Proton as-is

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 7, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It might be easier for me to justify the purchase if I think of it as contributing to their ongoing legal fees. Even if the case against them isn't entirely spurious, it's about time someone told Nexon to legally go pound sand for their lovely management decisions.

e: It would literally be just that in my case since there is about a 0% chance that this will work through Proton as-is

I'm not sure IM is any better about management decisions, considering IM is ran by lovely Nexon managers. And seem to have partnered with a gamestore that seems like they are thieves and crooks.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

yeah but they've got people, in this thread even, hoping to toss literally hundreds of dollars for a hit of the gaming juice, so who honestly wouldn't sell out with reckless abandon like this in their place

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I bought the game and am downloading it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kazvall posted:

I bought the game and am downloading it.

I gotta believe!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
there's an updating bar after the downloading, drat you :argh:

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Man, independent launchers always suck. Slow, clunky, the drat TOS/EULA modal doesn't scroll with the mousewheel or arrow keys for crying out loud.

And they don't seem to be using a distributed network like bittorrent to help offload the client download either, you'd figure there would at least be a couplefew webseeds if that was the case but this thing is slower than molasses and most likely a direct download from some CDN. Bleh. At current speeds it'll be ready to play tomorrow evening.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Yeah this is sooooooo much infinitely slower than the torrent was for me. Like 1/10th of the speeds. Ugh.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

For those of you who have bought it, does the launcher allow you to select what drive + directory to install the game on?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

neurotech posted:

For those of you who have bought it, does the launcher allow you to select what drive + directory to install the game on?

if you click the little gear it lets you open up the folders and everything, yeah

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Yes

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

god drat this download is so freaking slow

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
if you use a VPN switch to an EU server and speeds are much faster

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
You have to buy a premium currency to unlock new classes now. Bard and Warlock are the locked ones. You get enough to unlock one of them when you buy the game. Isn't this exactly what they said they wouldn't do?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

lonter posted:

You have to buy a premium currency to unlock new classes now. Bard and Warlock are the locked ones. You get enough to unlock one of them when you buy the game. Isn't this exactly what they said they wouldn't do?

It is exactly what they said they wouldn't do. Starting to think they decided they weren't going to win in the end but could parlay a sudden EA launch into lots of money and might only have to pay some of it back as a fine. I wouldn't be so cynical, but *gestures to Chaf Games and everything else*.

EDIT: It's also one of those premium currencies where you have to buy it in set amounts and all the prices are calibrated to make you pay more than it actually costs.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
switching to an EU server definitely helps, I was done downloading in less than 10 minutes

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Kchama posted:

It is exactly what they said they wouldn't do. Starting to think they decided they weren't going to win in the end but could parlay a sudden EA launch into lots of money and might only have to pay some of it back as a fine. I wouldn't be so cynical, but *gestures to Chaf Games and everything else*.

EDIT: It's also one of those premium currencies where you have to buy it in set amounts and all the prices are calibrated to make you pay more than it actually costs.

alright well glad I didn't pull the trigger yet lmao

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
From what I am reading, 35 bucks for the game gets you enough shards for one of the two locked classes, bard or warlock.

No idea of a season length, but you should get 2-4 or 4-8 depending on how much you play. New classes will cost 4 shards. (blue)

Red are the ones you buy for races or emotes.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Mm, even with the interest it's getting I'm pretty uncertain it'll be filling up Oceanic servers when it costs NZ$57 now. The player base was one of its strongest draws.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You can buy through their site or the korean game distributor site, and you may not be able to buy through one of them right now. They are apparently having issues with double or triple charges in one of the two methods.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Kchama posted:

Hey wouldn't you know, the people that stole a game from another company are shitheads.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
PSA, I'm seeing reports that uninstalling the launcher or the game ( not sure which) can result in deleting your entire C drive...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lonter posted:

PSA, I'm seeing reports that uninstalling the launcher or the game ( not sure which) can result in deleting your entire C drive...

lmao

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Hah, stuff like that is why I always nest everything one level deeper than it needs to be, and also don't install anything that doesn't absolutely require it (due to a lovely installer that doesn't give you an option) on my boot drive.

Game Drive/Publisher/Game/installer/
Game Drive/Publisher/Game/gameclient/
etc

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
so what exactly does this download mean by (1/90)
1/90th of the 10.48 GB download? part 1/90 of the process? who knows

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

so what exactly does this download mean by (1/90)
1/90th of the 10.48 GB download? part 1/90 of the process? who knows

1 file downloading out of 90?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Holy gently caress I love and missed this game. Having a blast with all my dungeon friends!!

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Holy gently caress I love and missed this game. Having a blast with all my dungeon friends!!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Holy poo poo the newest version of Goblin Caves is even nuttier. New mini-boss level hp pool mob, the Giant Centipede, which seems like a juiced up Death Beetle with 6x more HP. Right click with the Barb's dumpster starting axe does a great job of getting the hits in while still strafing around the fucker, and I've only seen them in rather constricted areas. Now there are flame traps and the cave bats have a sonic screech that totally screws up your vision. It's awesome :allears:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
download faster stupid prick

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hahaha holy poo poo, its been a while since I saw one of those.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

faster! mush, mush!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
first kill in a game last night was plinking a dude in the head with an arrow as he opened a portal from across a big chasm, felt good

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BaconCopter posted:

Holy poo poo the newest version of Goblin Caves is even nuttier. New mini-boss level hp pool mob, the Giant Centipede, which seems like a juiced up Death Beetle with 6x more HP. Right click with the Barb's dumpster starting axe does a great job of getting the hits in while still strafing around the fucker, and I've only seen them in rather constricted areas. Now there are flame traps and the cave bats have a sonic screech that totally screws up your vision. It's awesome :allears:

The centipede can also shoot through closed doors.

Having to unlock classes is stupid as hell not going to lie. Won't affect me since I'll have plenty of shards if the game survives to paladin release but it's still very lame. On top of going against what they said they were going to do it incentivizes them making new classes OP so people rush to buy them and then nerfing them (which was seen in League another game that shouldn't have had characters be purchasable/unlockable). I didn't see if they said how long a "season" is so it's difficult to judge if the earned shards from play will be enough to keep up. In Apex Legends you earned one of the in-game currencies which you could use to unlock legends and if you played regularly you could unlock them all without paying. I missed a bunch of seasons and still unlocked every character I wanted to so it'd nice if it worked out that way for most people and I'll try to manifest that into existence like I did this release and previous playtests.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 8, 2023

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it also can drop rings :)

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
potions not stacking is a good change I think it stops all the juicers bringing a whole inventory full of potions every match. less healing in maps overall is brutal, will be a lot harder to survive

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://discord.gg/wRNC5kfJ

any new goons join the discord, we have fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Demon Of The Fall posted:

potions not stacking is a good change I think it stops all the juicers bringing a whole inventory full of potions every match. less healing in maps overall is brutal, will be a lot harder to survive

I like this change, stacking and auto filling consumables leads to spammy gameplay