Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pierson posted:

Do you have a picture of the box or kit? It sounds like you've found either a 3rd-party copy (so a bootleg basically) or a special-coating variant. There's a few different kinds (clear semi-transparent coating, metallic finish, actual titanium finish on some of them) and they tend to jack the price up a bit and most don't look super-great.

It's the 1/144 HG Efreet Custom, none of the sites seem to use images that make a comparison particularly noticeable so I was hoping someone would know what the difference is. But just going by what you said there I'd assume it was the clear coating sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It sounds like what you spotted is this thing:

Gundam Base kits get sold in the physical stores in Japan and for the rest of the world they might as well be P-Bandai since they need to re-sold by other sellers overseas. It's hard to see in pictures but it's likely a very shiny, glossy plastic compared to a regular kit so yeah basically a special coating version.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alright, makes sense. Every single one I've seen is actually cheaper than the precious few non-metallic ones I've been able to spot. Maybe I'll give in and get it - but I won't be happy about it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Everything gets reprinted eventually so you could wait. The basic Efreet should be about twenty bucks and P-Bandai maybe double that. If you're being super over-charged might be worth it to wait and hope.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh, do things get reprinted? I kind of assumed p-bandai stuff was once and done which is why I was trying so hard to find it now!. I could wait in that case, certainly there were a bunch of other kits for like 20 bucks I was intrigued by the affordability of for now. Maybe I'll get lucky in time. Whether it's because it gets reprinted or because one shows up on sale somewhere for a good price.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

From what I saw online that special coating Efreet is probably one of the few that actually looks good. It gets reprinted like once a year too, though the time I paid attention it was one of the first kits in that P-Bandai wave to sell out, like within minutes

The only kits I want that I haven't seen reprinted in 4 years or so are the Full Metal Panic! ones (not P-Bandai kits). I guess I must have been pretty lucky to get my only one on a mystery box deal

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Oh, do things get reprinted? I kind of assumed p-bandai stuff was once and done which is why I was trying so hard to find it now!

Yes and no. There's no guarantees or any kind of publicly announced schedule on reprints, so for the most part it is just once and done. For example, looking things up, the HG Efreet Custom had it's original run in 2017 and it had a limited reprint in 2021.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/ippeigyoubu/status/1688510501083623424?s=20

Holy poo poo the HG boxes for Synduality are going hard

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Time for an HG Aile Strike.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Diet Poison posted:

I have not had the pleasure, myself, but from literally everything I've seen online, lmao. Everyone seems to hate it so much that it actually makes me want to build it.

That's what made me build mine. The only thing to really worry about are the hip C clips. Be real careful with those, and you only really get one shot. But .. otherwise.. it's easier to transform than my MG Ver.Ka

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Nuebot posted:

So I've recently gotten suckered back into gundam kits and the like, and am decades out of date on this stuff; are there like any good online places to grab kits I can't find in stores at reasonable prices? Or is it still like just look around at as many places as possible and hope they don't ship you a box that looks like a car ran over it?

If you mean regular release kits rather than special versions or Premium Bandai releases, I've had only good experiences with Newtype.com. They're located in the San Fransisco/San Jose area so shipping is fairly quick on the West Coast of the US, and they use UPS so my packages have been in good condition. Surprisingly, every so often I'll find a really good deal on a kit through Amazon, and haven't had any issues with condition.

For special releases I've found a good number on Amazon. Of course, you're going to pay much more than they originally cost on the Premium Bandai site so unless it's a suit you really love, I'd hold off.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Built and primed. Now I just need to figure out what colors to paint them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Green and purple, duh. Green is best and purple is sneaky.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

:hmmorks: If youz got da red bootz youz can sneek fasta

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sonic Da Flash Git

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://twitter.com/_PREMIUMBANDAI_/status/1688716709052514304?s=20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

For easy reference, the drop is:

MG Stark Jegan
HG Deathscythe Hell
MG Sandrock EW (Armadillo)
RG Sazabi (Special Coating)
HWS Expansion for Nu Ver Ka
Expansion Funnel Effect for Sazabi Ver Ka and RE/100 Nightingale
HWS Expansion for Hi-Nu Ver Ka
MG Altron Gundam EW
Nu Ver Ka Double Funnel Unit
MG Tallgeese II

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

BisbyWorl posted:

Time for an HG Aile Strike.

I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

wdarkk posted:

G40 completed. Next up Try Age Magnum.

Try Age Magnum completed, next up this P-Bandai Zogok.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Huh, they actually sell kits of old chunky stripey hi-nu? Sick, I'm going to have to check that out, all I've been able to find are the newer version.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BisbyWorl posted:

I want you to know someone got the reference at least :allears:.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want you to know someone got the reference at least :allears:.

Wasn’t me but now I’m caught up :)

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

WTF is a Qubeley Damned and why do I need it so much?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Waffleman_ posted:

For easy reference, the drop is:

MG Stark Jegan
HG Deathscythe Hell
MG Sandrock EW (Armadillo)
RG Sazabi (Special Coating)
HWS Expansion for Nu Ver Ka
Expansion Funnel Effect for Sazabi Ver Ka and RE/100 Nightingale
HWS Expansion for Hi-Nu Ver Ka
MG Altron Gundam EW
Nu Ver Ka Double Funnel Unit
MG Tallgeese II

Deathscythe Hell yeah!

Might have to order that one if I enjoy the regular Deathscythe build. Going to start that one after I finish the God Gundam this week.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Huh, they actually sell kits of old chunky stripey hi-nu? Sick, I'm going to have to check that out, all I've been able to find are the newer version.

The old MG and HG of the earlier design are still available but the RG Hi Nu is based on the MG Hi Nu ver Ka.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

BisbyWorl posted:

And:

e: Man and gently caress P-Bandai, you think nobody outside of the US and Japan wants a fuckin MG Altron Gundam?

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 8, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mllaneza posted:

I'm in! HG Heindree to start.

e. And the eighth part just... vanished.

And it turned up again almost immediately after doomposting. So,

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SnakesRevenge posted:

WTF is a Qubeley Damned and why do I need it so much?

It's from a Build Divers spin off. And I don't know.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

ooooohhhh, this is NARSTY:

https://twitter.com/BANIRA_kirie/status/1688545506119868416

some other cool ones:

https://twitter.com/Y_luobo/status/1688495759992434688

https://twitter.com/foruthona/status/1688073251585667072

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

I think this is the third time they've offered the MG Stark Jegan since I got back into Gunpla. I always vacillate between getting it or not, I think they've won this time.

Anyways, Gundam Mk. II unit 02 is complete!

A very easy build, plus the Titans scheme means little need for panel lining as it barely shows.

Next up is the Zowart Heavy. I still haven't seen the Witch From Mercury, but I love how much this one looks like it's from Armored Core.

And I'll stop being coy, I've been waiting on building this one, will start one I'm done with the Zowart.

I was so happy when I randomly stumbled upon this at a hobby shop. It's an elaborate kit, and one where I really feel the love for the MS shines through. I cleared some space on my shelf so I now feel like I can display it once it's complete.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I actually thought that second one was a Graze til I saw the torso and realized it started life as a MAILeS Byakuchi.

The third one feels like it should have organ music and choir chanting in the background, with a galling shot of it melting some major location at the end of an JRPG or anime series using those big arm cannons.

edit: Oh no, there was a rabbithole with the hashtag in the second one.

Check out this Dann of Thursday version someone did - https://twitter.com/braveimpact/status/1688500790103777280 :eyepop:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 8, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tergaso posted:

Next up is the Zowart Heavy. I still haven't seen the Witch From Mercury, but I love how much this one looks like it's from Armored Core.

That's probably because the designer for Peil worked on For Answer previously. It even has the four weapon loadout that For Answer machines have as a baseline.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Does anyone have a scan of the instruction sheet for the Action Base 5? Can't seem to find any images of it online.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

Does anyone have a scan of the instruction sheet for the Action Base 5? Can't seem to find any images of it online.

This is the best I could find on a moment's notice. Technically an image of the base, but... not too useful for reference, I'm afraid...

Wait! Just remembered.

Since Action Base 5s are included as bonuses...

Some kit manuals have the instructions as a side build.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Yeah, I have the RG Gaogaigar and RG Goldymar, I was more just wondering how the rest of the bits went together.

Thanks any ways!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I wish this thing turned into a giant robot, but the chaos category will have to do.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Asteroid Alert posted:

Starting with a FiguRise Kamen Rider Blade.

This was a nice kit to build. Quite a few decals to put, but the end result is nice. The undergate engineering is also a stroke of genius, especially for the shiny parts.

Up next is the HG Aerial

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Asteroid Alert posted:

This was a nice kit to build. Quite a few decals to put, but the end result is nice. The undergate engineering is also a stroke of genius, especially for the shiny parts.

Up next is the HG Aerial

I've been pretty impressed with the Kamen Rider FigureRise kits, the Ex-Aid turned out real nice even if putting on all the black stripes as stickers was a pain and a half

e: that blade looks really good though, like hot drat. Were the silver straps and pads on the boots part of the kit or did you paint em on?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

GetDunked posted:

I've been pretty impressed with the Kamen Rider FigureRise kits, the Ex-Aid turned out real nice even if putting on all the black stripes as stickers was a pain and a half

e: that blade looks really good though, like hot drat. Were the silver straps and pads on the boots part of the kit or did you paint em on?

They were pre-painted, this is a simple snap-fit with only decals added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The third one feels like it should have organ music and choir chanting in the background, with a galling shot of it melting some major location at the end of an JRPG or anime series using those big arm cannons.

Kinda reminds me of the VangNex from Super Robot Wars X (which desperately needs a kit)