Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
There are 10/100/1G/2.5/5/10G SFP+ transceivers out there, Mikrotik makes one: https://mikrotik.com/product/s_rj10

As far as I know they're only copper, there's no fiber equivalent.

I have one of these connected to my desktop with a Realtek 2.5G card at the other end of a wall run. Seems to work fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Even running 2.5G to most clients is overkill. But yeah SFP+ still solves all those problems you think you have.

But also if you have an 10G SFP+ link, you have absolutely no reason to downgrade it to a 2.5G, just leave it at 10G. Normally you'd have a switch with one or two SFP+ ports and a few GbE RJ45 ports which is where you'd branch off your clients from. Things like a desktop PC or a HTPC can just get an SFP+ PCIe card directly if you want. All your internal stuff can be 10G or even 40G or 100G for all it matters. The switches will figure out the maximum speed they can utilize.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Anyone recommend a switch in the ~24 port range with more than 4 SFP+ ports, but not a 100% SFP+ model?
I’m coming off a Cisco CB250-24P-4X and finding that I need 6-8 ports for fiber links.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
When you get to "More than 4" territory you're just gonna want to get an All SFP switch and connect it to a separate 24 or a 48 port. Pretty much everything is either 2,4, or all.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

gregday posted:

Anyone recommend a switch in the ~24 port range with more than 4 SFP+ ports, but not a 100% SFP+ model?
I’m coming off a Cisco CB250-24P-4X and finding that I need 6-8 ports for fiber links.

FS.com has this S3900-48T6S-R, 48-Port Gigabit Ethernet L2+ Switch, 48 x Gigabit RJ45, with 6 x 10Gb SFP+ Uplinks, Stackable Switch . Also used brocades have that config.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
TP-Link is making some affordable bigger switches nowadays which are perfectly fine for SOHO/SMB use.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0973T7BGL + https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TRGHZK4 if you really need up to 10 fiber uplinks and 10gig between the two switches. No PoE though.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 1, 2023

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Gonna disagree (again) with running fiber at home. Copper mgig switches let you do 5gbit POE to new APs, 2.5gbit to the recent gaming desktops, 10gig where wanted, etc. Hell, if you want to get fancy, get one with a few SFP+ uplinks for a server. But running fiber everywhere is just silly.

mgig copper SFP+ transceivers are barely a thing.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-SG3210XHP-M2-Multi-Gigabit-Integrated-Protection/dp/B092VFS6K3 is a nice basic one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

KS posted:

Gonna disagree (again) with running fiber at home. Copper mgig switches let you do 5gbit POE to new APs, 2.5gbit to the recent gaming desktops, 10gig where wanted, etc. Hell, if you want to get fancy, get one with a few SFP+ uplinks for a server. But running fiber everywhere is just silly.

mgig copper SFP+ transceivers are barely a thing.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-SG3210XHP-M2-Multi-Gigabit-Integrated-Protection/dp/B092VFS6K3 is a nice basic one.

I have that switch. Works well. Still want some good old fashion poe gbit for most devices and a 10gbit sfp+ switch for home lab.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

M_Gargantua posted:

Even running 2.5G to most clients is overkill. But yeah SFP+ still solves all those problems you think you have.

But also if you have an 10G SFP+ link, you have absolutely no reason to downgrade it to a 2.5G, just leave it at 10G. Normally you'd have a switch with one or two SFP+ ports and a few GbE RJ45 ports which is where you'd branch off your clients from. Things like a desktop PC or a HTPC can just get an SFP+ PCIe card directly if you want. All your internal stuff can be 10G or even 40G or 100G for all it matters. The switches will figure out the maximum speed they can utilize.

The confusion came in me thinking that SPF+ would not transmit the internet link speed at 5g which is apparently not the case. I asked someone else who has the same service what their setup was and they just have a RJ45 to SPF+ transceiver from the ONT to a Unifi Dream Machine and then it's entirely SPF+ and fiber from there.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Yes, my old adapters are working with the splitter, both the old splitter as well as the new one. Both splitters support frequencies up to 2.5 Ghz.

I had no idea about the encryption: I'll try to see if I can copy the keys.

I checked the encryption on my gocoax adapters and found there was none.

Then I manually traced my coax connections again, and found that I’m a loving idiot.

:suicide:

All good now!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Then I manually traced my coax connections again, and found that I’m a loving idiot.

Always start at layer 1 (physical cabling) and work your way up when troubleshooting networks.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

SamDabbers posted:

Always start at layer 1 (physical cabling) and work your way up when troubleshooting networks.

Yeeeeppp. I recently had a lightning strike fry a cable modem, router, network switch, hd home run cable thing, an Amazon fire, and a TV. After unplugging everything and trying to get the network back up, weird stuff was happening.

Checked the cable continuity at the patch panel to wall panel - half the wires have no continuity.

Next step - put new connectors on each end to determine if the wires are fried or just the connections in the end.

Speaking of wiring issues, how I can test a speed connection on the ends of suspect wires? Is it worth going beyond a continuity test?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Internet Savant posted:

Speaking of wiring issues, how I can test a speed connection on the ends of suspect wires? Is it worth going beyond a continuity test?

Does your router or switch provide you port statistics? You could look at drops and retries there to get an idea.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

FunOne posted:

Does your router or switch provide you port statistics? You could look at drops and retries there to get an idea.

No idea, but I'll look into it as it seems like something that's at least measurable.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My router is an Asus RT-AC3100, and for a while has had an issue where the 5Ghz stops working - I'll notice my phone or laptop has jumped to the 2.4, and if I try to reconnect them to the 5GHz they fail to connect. Restarting the router fixes this.

That model's most recent firmware is from over a year ago, so I put AsusWRT-Merlin on it hoping that would help. Unfortunately the same problem is still happening. Any ideas on what's happening and if there's a fix?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 3, 2023

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Internet Savant posted:

If you have two laptops lying around (and are comfortable with command line apps and doing manual network configuration), you can use iperf to speed test a cable. I recently did this to see if the CAT5e already in my walls would support 2.5 Gbps before I went around upgrading everything

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My ever increasing fleet of pi servers and miscellaneous crap on the network has got me thinking that I ought to redo my home network. Right now I've got a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter and 8 port switch and one of their APs. I dont know that I really want to do much other maybe add another AP upstairs for better coverage and hard wire some stuff into the switch. I'll need more ports to do that some am in the process of looking around.

It's been a while since I've touched this equipment or looked into the "prosumer" space. Is Ubiquiti still the main game in town or are there better/cheaper options out there? I dont run anything complicated at all, just a /24 for my home network, a wifi guest network, and a garbage vlan for iot or other crap to run off of that cant talk back into the other networks. I would like to potentially simplify things, possibly just collapsing all of the junk onto the guest network and calling it good enough.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The Unifi line is still the best “user friendly” “prosumer” line out there imo.

Though you are limited to the dream machine line which isn’t as cheap as I would prefer for the home market with the entry starting at $300 and most opting for the dream machine pro at $380. They need an updated USG.

You can roll the dice with omada which is considerably cheaper but it is tp-link.

If you’re fine sticking with your edge Router (not sure why you wouldn’t be) just buy any tp-link switch to fill your need.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 7, 2023

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'm running unifi APs hanging off of TP-link switches and an n5005 (iirc) based pfsense router. Does the job.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks. I use to be a network admin earlier in my career so not to worried about configuring any equipment, I just don't want to hassle with anything in my off hours either.

I'll look for a bigger PoE switch and call it good!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
There isn't really a need to upgrade the Edgerouter until you have a gigabit internet provider. I'd say for what you want just buy another unifi switch. You don't need a dream machine either. They're "nice" in that they're an all in one solution, but they're also terrible because they're an all in one solution. Its still lightyears ahead of a Netgear or a Cisco box, but you lose something. You'll still need a controller, you technically only need it when you're doing setup and updates though, only need it running all the time for logging and analytics. Since you already have pi's you can just run whatever Unifi apps you want on one of those. I've got a PiHole that doubles as my controller and data logger. If you want to go this route and replace the Edgerounter (Which again, no need too unless you can tap into more speed) you have the USG available for $140 which will do gigabit, or the UXG-Pro which can do 10G.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

CoasterMaster posted:

If you have two laptops lying around (and are comfortable with command line apps and doing manual network configuration), you can use iperf to speed test a cable. I recently did this to see if the CAT5e already in my walls would support 2.5 Gbps before I went around upgrading everything

Thanks! Yes, I'm comfortable enough to figure it out. Essentially, it's a choice of invoking homeowners insurance and the deductible vs not. So a little work on my end is worthwhile

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

M_Gargantua posted:

There isn't really a need to upgrade the Edgerouter until you have a gigabit internet provider. I'd say for what you want just buy another unifi switch. You don't need a dream machine either. They're "nice" in that they're an all in one solution, but they're also terrible because they're an all in one solution. Its still lightyears ahead of a Netgear or a Cisco box, but you lose something. You'll still need a controller, you technically only need it when you're doing setup and updates though, only need it running all the time for logging and analytics. Since you already have pi's you can just run whatever Unifi apps you want on one of those. I've got a PiHole that doubles as my controller and data logger. If you want to go this route and replace the Edgerounter (Which again, no need too unless you can tap into more speed) you have the USG available for $140 which will do gigabit, or the UXG-Pro which can do 10G.

Wait, I thought the UDMs didn't need a separate controller?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
They don't, the controller is built in. I don't think the Dream Router has the controller though?

The fact we're even having this discussion shows the flawed product nature of the Unifi ecosystem though lol.

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 8, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The software is Java with MongoDB, and can run on anything from a RPI2 upwards.
It's not really designed for home-scale networks where you only have a few devices, it's designed for large-scale deployments like a campus network.

It's probably also useful to point out that it only needs to run continuously, if you're doing TOTP-based auth and/or Hotspot/Guest networking, or a few other things that need AAA, like VPN or WPA2 Enterprise.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

withoutclass posted:

They don't, the controller is built in. I don't think the Dream Router has the controller though?

The fact we're even having this discussion shows the flawed product nature of the Unifi ecosystem though lol.

I think the UDR has the controller, but it's somewhat limited and can only run one other UniFi app besides it

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

withoutclass posted:

the dream router does include a controller. you probably don't want to run anything other than the network app on it though (even tho it in theory supports all the apps)

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
We finally upgraded from shitass DSL in my house to cable, jumped from 30 mbs to 450 mbs, but the modem and router is now in the corner of the house and connection is pretty spotty upstairs. On this threads advice a couple years ago i bought an archer C9, which served really well. Ive seen some people talking about mesh systems. Is that the way to go to jump wifi around the house? Would i be able to buy 2-3 of the TP-link decos ive seen mentioned and hook them up to the router or would they replace the C9 i have?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

We finally upgraded from shitass DSL in my house to cable, jumped from 30 mbs to 450 mbs, but the modem and router is now in the corner of the house and connection is pretty spotty upstairs. On this threads advice a couple years ago i bought an archer C9, which served really well. Ive seen some people talking about mesh systems. Is that the way to go to jump wifi around the house? Would i be able to buy 2-3 of the TP-link decos ive seen mentioned and hook them up to the router or would they replace the C9 i have?

If you are comfortable doing it or paying someone to do it, running cable and installing a few wired access points is probably the best way and faster speeds but more costly vs a few mesh nodes.

My house has the modem in the basement corner so same issues. I ran two runs of cat6 along the basement ceiling and then drilled into the wall from below and ran the wire up the first floor wall till about 1ft before the first floor ceiling where i cut a small hole in the drywall. Cable comes out there and the AP and its wall mount bracket covered it up just fine.

I used 2 tp-link Omada APs

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Something going on with Amazon's CloudFront today? Various sites using it are responding slow AF here in Belgium. Interweb's not fun today.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Any thoughts on the banana pis? I'm looking to replace an older GL.inet router that works great but only has one extra LAN port and I want to wire up the other ports in my apartment but don't really have room for a switch in the closet, so I’m looking for a all-in-one. Currently only have a 1G Xfinity connection but we may finally be getting some fiber to the complex soon. I’ve managed networks in the past but haven’t really stayed up with hardware since it isn’t my primary job any longer.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I've moved places and haven't had wires run yet, I've got Unifi APs (6 Lites), if I enable mesh network to extend the network across the house how does that actually work on these models? Without a back haul network and modem I'm guessing my bandwidth is cut in half? How bad is it in practice?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Are you constantly transferring full 60GB blurays over your wifi?

Or are you just streaming 4k on a few devices?

You should be able to have a dozen devices streaming 4k before the wifi will be the bottleneck, even in mesh mode.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I agree that it's not that big of a loss for regular usage. I've used Unifi for a long time so I wanted to know if there was some huge gotcha or issue I should know about. As long as I can keep the two desktops on the main AP it should be fine (or as good as it can be until I get the wires run).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If you start getting into like multi-hop coverage you may experience some stuttering with anything real time

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

All the people on Reddit will make fun of you for your less optimal speedtest.net scores.

Could you really live with that shame?

Iirc the maximum distance Cisco recommends is 4 hops but I personally wouldn’t go over 2.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 15, 2023

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
UniFi "Wireless Uplink" is effectively repeater mode so your absolute best case scenario is half bandwidth and double latency per hop away from the wired base. This also means that your wirelessly uplinked units have to be on the same channel as the one they're connecting to so any stations that can hear both will see any traffic on the other AP as interference.

It's fine for a low utilization extension or temporary deployment, but if any of the wirelessly linked APs are expected to have significant actual use either wire them or get a proper mesh system with dedicated radios for uplink.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cyks posted:

All the people on Reddit will make fun of you for your less optimal speedtest.net scores.

Could you really live with that shame?

Iirc the maximum distance Cisco recommends is 4 hops but I personally wouldn’t go over 2.

I paid for one thousand mega bits per second and by god I'm gonna use one thousand mega bits per second! MY BITS!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just moved into a new house from a tiny tiny apartment and now my wifi needs are woefully unmet. We have a single main access point for the cable, which is the lone bedroom upstairs. The Wifi signal is strong enough to just reach the living room, but falls short of where the office space will be. I was thinking of getting a mesh network, but have never done anything beyond basic wireless setups. I understand a lot of them are pretty easy to use and configure, and was looking at a few options. I thought of just getting the Google Nest system, but they seem to lack wifi 6 (I have no idea if that is a big deal or not). We aren't looking to break the bank, and aren't looking for the cheapest setup. Would just like to know what is a good entry level setup that won't be out of date in a year. House isn't huge, but the layout makes a single point near impossible.

edit: I should say they main thing we use internet for is typical home use, streaming, light gaming, etc. My wife will be working form home a few days a week after a couple months, which may involve some video calling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

If you can get a PoE switch in a closet and can run some Ethernet in the attic a few U6-lite units in each corner would give you good coverage. But that's a few dollars to set up. Depends on how much coverage you need.