Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

When I stopped reading the politics forums a few years ago I didn't expect to see any more diatribes about the perfidious China by random westerners who don't know what they're talking about but here we are I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fajita Queen posted:

When I stopped reading the politics forums a few years ago I didn't expect to see any more diatribes about the perfidious China by random westerners who don't know what they're talking about but here we are I guess

It’s rampant now, although at least in my country I don’t blame folks. Partly due to cynical politicians trying to grab attention and partly due to Huawei literally using spy drones and bribes to get the upper hand in contract negotiations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I thought the valid concern was Tencent just harvesting data in a way that would make Facebook think twice.

It's pretty much the standard for global companies nowadays so it's not exactly sino phobic but the next step was thinking tencent would spy on you for the Chinese govt.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

leper khan posted:

Any audio recording >=100 years old is fair game for the models
The American accents have changed noticeably in 100 years. Furthermore, if you're using professional radio, phonograph, or film recordings, 1920s stage speech is very, very different from contemporary spoken English, far more from modern spoken English.

John Barrymore, 1928, an excellent stage actor. Ignore that this is Shakespeare. Note the consistently trilled "r"s, the wide range of volume, the throatiness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myUbf9rjS8w

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The American accents have changed noticeably in 100 years. Furthermore, if you're using professional radio, phonograph, or film recordings, 1920s stage speech is very, very different from contemporary spoken English, far more from modern spoken English.

John Barrymore, 1928, an excellent stage actor. Ignore that this is Shakespeare. Note the consistently trilled "r"s, the wide range of volume, the throatiness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myUbf9rjS8w

Lolling at the idea of the next GTA game having everyone talk in a transatlantic movie accent

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

External Organs posted:

Lolling at the idea of the next GTA game having everyone talk in a transatlantic movie accent
Set it in the roaring '20s, you play a bootlegger trying to make it up the ladder to mob boss, publisher makes many bux, gimme my 1% of the gross for coming up with the difficult part, the idea.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This is all speculation - I don't have first hand knowledge of any of this:

Indeed!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Korean game dev Project Moon just publicly fired an artist after gamer backlash over her expressing feminist views on twitter.
Yes the Korean general public is still rabidly anti-feminist. (My friend in Korea has said as much to me, this isn't just a foreigner randomly speculating.)

https://www.gamerbraves.com/limbus-company-illustrator-fired-for-feminist-swimsuit-design-she-didnt-create/

quote:

The story began earlier in July when ProjectMoon revealed a new summer event, S.E.A./The Magic Hellbus for their turn-based gacha RPG Limbus Company.

[...]

This led to a conspiracy whereby a group of Korean players believed that the lack of swimsuit-wearing female characters was due to “radical feminism” taking root within the company, despite there being no proof.

This is when they found out that one of the illustrators working on the game, VellMori, had some old Retweets relating to feminist movements on Twitter.

While the retweets were since deleted, some fans claimed that they have archived screenshots of them which mainly just call for an end to gender discrimination.

As Korean fans got hold of this information, they began to demand angrily toward ProjectMoon for VellMori’s employment to be terminated, despite them not being the artist who worked on Ishmael’s summer costume design.

[...]

As such, starting from Chapter 5 of Limbus Company, ProjectMoon will no longer include the work of VellMori in the game but works relating to the previous story will still remain.

here's the statement the company made on twitter (in Korean), and here it is through google's fancy new image translate feature:

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 26, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Not surprising, stuff like this is constantly going on over there. Pretty much every major company runs into a controversy which ends up with them firing a woman/women in order to appease an army of angry manchild incel gamers/weebs.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
What a lovely company

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Keep in mind Korean internet uses "radical feminist/radfem" to mean "extreme feminist", there isn't any proof of the artist being transphobic (and lbr there's no way virulent misogynists are actually anti-transphobia) or misandrist.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Here's a fairly detailed take on the whole thing, if you can tolerate going on to reddit. Project Moon's director really messed up here in my opinion, but that's really easy to say from a position of safety.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Nah. gently caress that. If they felt threatened, say you're firing her, call the police, and get them arrested. And don't actually fire her.

They fired her because they were actively interested in appeasing their fanbase of deranged manchildren.

This isn't a isolated incident, this happens constantly in Korea.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

dervival posted:

Here's a fairly detailed take on the whole thing.

:wtc:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

Fruits of the sea posted:

It’s rampant now, although at least in my country I don’t blame folks. Partly due to cynical politicians trying to grab attention and partly due to Huawei literally using spy drones and bribes to get the upper hand in contract negotiations.

Cyberpunk really did just come true.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I think it would be really nice if there were less violent misogyny happening constantly all over the world, and sometimes it feels like nothing makes a difference on that front.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Just to show the widespread nature of the issue, here are a variety of just game-related controversies involving manchildren in Korea. There are plenty more instances outside of gaming. And I'm not Korean so these are just the ones that managed to reach Western news outlets that I also happened to read. These are some very large companies like Nexon and Smilegate (of Amazon fame) and some pretty popular games.

quote:

The latest row began when the CEO of Seoul-based IMC Games launched a probe into whether a female employee harboured "anti-social ideology" after complaints about her personal activity on Twitter.
Sung Hye-jin had followed several feminist groups and retweeted a post featuring a slang term describing sexist men.
Some of the industry's key clientele of young, male gamers demanded her sacking, calling her a "cancer-like creature" who "followed a dirty ideology".
Sung apologised for the perceived offence, vowing to unfollow the groups in question.
"I am so sorry that my reckless behaviour caused such problems," she wrote on Twitter.
She kept her job after CEO Kim Hak-kyu decided her actions were "just a mistake but not a crime", but he assured customers he would "remain endlessly vigilant" to prevent a recurrence.

quote:

An online controversy over a South Korean voice actress's tweeted image of a T-shirt has escalated into what is now being called East Asia's version of Gamergate — a reference to the vitriolic controversy that pitted gamers, largely men, against women in tech.

Twelve hours after posting a photo of a shirt reading "Girls Do Not Need A Prince," Kim Jayeon — who had been providing a voice for the popular video game Closers — was out of her job.

Part of the problem was the source of the shirt. It's put out by Megalia4, a South Korean feminist group.

When Kim's tweet surfaced on July 18, scores of male gamers demanded that she apologize for supporting what they call a "anti-man hate group." When Kim refused to budge, they bombarded Nexon, her employer and publisher of Closers, with complaints and refund requests, and soon, she was out.

"We have to be responsive to our customers' opinions," Nexon told The Hankyoreh, a South Korean news outlet. "The voice actress exacerbated the issue by posting inflammatory tweets such as 'what's wrong with supporting Megalia?'"

(Both the company and Kim later issued statements saying her departure was a result of a mutual understanding. "We had already paid for [her] contract and the actress amicably agreed to leave," The Hankyoreh cited Nexon as saying.)

After Kim Jayeon's departure from Nexon, other voice actors, webcomic artists and musicians who chided Nexon's handling of her situation faced mounting pressure by online hordes to reverse their stances. "Over 80 people were badgered into issuing public apologies," says Lee Junhaeng, a South Korean computer programmer and columnist.

quote:

In response, the opposition Justice Party openly criticized Nexon for infringing on the woman’s labor rights.

Some party members, however, found this more humiliating than being labeled North Korea sympathizers and quit the party, one member told JoongAng Daily. “Megalia has done wonders for bringing attention to feminism,” says Koo. But “Megalia is to feminism what North Korea is to opposition activists—it’s a scarlet letter, a very useful tool for shutting up feminists.”

Days later, the party retracted its support for the Nexon employee, and said that instead, it would “lead a discussion to create effective ways of overcoming sexual discrimination issues.”

quote:

Another major developer, Smilegate, promised last month to remove images by female illustrators accused by gamers of being linked to the group for writing or retweeting posts about women’s rights issues.
These gamers relentlessly attack whoever posts anything slightly related to women’s rights issues
Manager at an online game firm
Many gamers monitor female developers to check whether any of their tweets, retweets or likes involve feminism, and file complaints to their employers with boycott threats, multiple industry sources said.

quote:

It took three years for players to notice the “offensive” hand gesture lurking in one of South Korea’s most popular multiplayer games.

When players made their avatars laugh, talk or give the “OK” sign in “Lost Ark,” they clicked an icon featuring a gesture that might have appeared benign to many: an index finger nearly touching a thumb.

But some of “Lost Ark’s” users began claiming in August that the gesture was a sexist insult against men, and they demanded its removal.

What happened next underscores a trend in South Korea among anti-feminists, who have been increasingly pushing companies to repent for what they see as a conspiracy within the government and private companies to promote a feminist agenda.

Smilegate — the creator of “Lost Ark” and one of South Korea’s biggest video game developers — quickly complied with the requests for removal. The company removed the icon from the game, and vowed to be more vigilant about policing “game-unrelated controversies” in their products.

quote:

A week earlier, Korean anti-feminist vigilantes shone their spotlight on another woman in the South Korean games industry. The Chinese game Girls Frontline had hired a Korean character artist to make anthropomorphic guns for the mobile strategy game. K7, an unreleased character, is a stern girl with long, white hair, cat ears and thigh-high socks. Two hours after K7’s announcement, gamers dug through her creator’s tweets and Twitter “likes.” What they found was a comic parodying “hannam” she’d retweeted and another retweet about how women fear hidden cameras. The studio’s Korean branch immediately vowed to suspend K7. Its Chinese headquarters said they’d investigate the artist’s alleged “extreme tendencies,” adding that “So far, there has been no evidence that any K7 illustrator belongs to a certain extreme feminist organization.” Girls Frontline studio Sunborn Games has not responded to multiple requests for comment.

quote:

A significant portion of Korean games developers and publishers who employ women targeted by anti-feminists have complied with critics’ calls to dismiss or rebuke employees. A plausible reason why shows up in the comments below games companies’ posts about the controversies: These critics are vocal about who they do and don’t want to be making their games. And these critics are also a large portion of their consumers. After two freelance illustrators on the failing Korean-made online game SoulWorkers were accused of having Megal-like Twitter feeds, and harassed as a result, SoulWorkers developers announced on March 26 that they’d replace the illustrations. They also said they’d begin “preliminary inspection” to make sure that these sort of “problems” didn’t occur in the future. In the next few days, a flood of new users overwhelmed SoulWorkers’ servers. It’s hard to prove causality, but SoulWorkers did seea 175% increase in players. Overwhelmed devs working around-the-clock to keep the servers up received box upon box of snacks, nutritional supplements and presents from players. (The illustrators have threatened legal action against their harassers.)

quote:

Korean artist Nardack recently became the center of a controversy related to feminism and the Chinese smartphone game Azur Lane. She revealed the details of the situation with X.D. Global, the game's publisher in South Korea, in a blog post on Sunday.

Nardack explained that X.D. Global commissioned her to provide an illustration for the game, which debuted on the login screen in the Korean version of the game on April 27. After the illustration debuted, some Korean net users began to protest the game's use of the illustration online, claiming that Nardack sympathizes with an "antisocial organization."

Another creator had posted on social media in support of feminism, and Nardack then "liked" that creator's Twitter post. According to Nardack, the net users opposed to her illustration appearing in the smartphone game saw this action as evidence that Nardack is part of an "antisocial organization." These online commenters appear to believe that feminism is an "antisocial idea," and they object to Nardack's perceived approval of such a concept.

In light of the controversy, X.D. Global contacted Nardack to ask if she is truly connected to an "antisocial organization," and she denied that claim. Staff then asked Nardack to post "I have no relation to antisocial groups, and I do not support feminism" on social media.

Nardack refused to comply with the request, and X.D. Global immediately removed her illustration from the game. The people protesting Nardack's involvement with the game saw the company's removal of the illustration as confirmation that Nardack is a member of an "antisocial group," and they then continued to defame her online.

X.D. Global contacted Nardack again to say they would add the illustration in question back into the game if Nardack posted on social media as previously requested. Nardack was shocked at the staff members' words and added disbelief that "this is really something possible in the 21st century."

Nardack denounced X.D. Global's actions and requested an apology for treating her as if she were a member of an "antisocial group." She also criticized X.D. Global for its apparent agreement with the concept that "feminism is antisocial," and affirmed her right to disagree with that opinion. Nardack further clarified, saying, "I do not sympathize with any kind of antisocial group or idea, and I strongly oppose forced and baseless thought censorship toward creators." Nardack ended the blog post by apologizing to people concerned about the incident and thanking supporters.

quote:

But in South Korea the fight appears to be much tougher. One female CEO of a gaming company told AFP that Nexon's 2016 decision emboldened the "witch-hunt." She says, "It's common sense that one should not be punished at the workplace for personal beliefs that have nothing to do with work... But that common sense is not accepted at all in this industry right now, especially for women."

quote:

When I asked the Korean Game Developers’ Guild why developers are on board with these “ideological verifications,” a representative told me that, because men make up the majority of Korean games companies and most Korean games consumers are men—and because feminism and so-called anti-male Megalian feminism are conflated so often—shaming radical feminists is a lucrative business decision.

“The current market’s core consumers are men in their 40s and younger, and the game companies are forced to focus on their perception in reality,” the representative explained.

Sources:
https://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/07/29/487832991/south-korea-is-contending-with-a-gamergate-of-its-own-over-a-t-shirt
https://www.france24.com/en/20180413-dark-side-play-koreas-female-game-makers
https://qz.com/801067/an-epic-battle-between-feminism-and-deep-seated-misogyny-is-under-way-in-south-korea
https://kotaku.com/in-south-korea-gamers-stage-an-inquisition-against-fem-1825398846
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...-groups/.131029
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/02/business/south-korea-business-gender-war-intl-hnk-dst/index.html

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Absolutely not an issue limited to gaming, but...

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/microsofts-concerning-conflict-minerals-disclosure-reflects-industry-wide-slippage

quote:

Conflict minerals sourcing gathered a lot of attention in the mid-2000s, specifically around how mining companies in the Democratic Republic of Congo had formed ties with various armed groups to control the country's goldfields and other natural resources. Those armed groups waged war with each other to wrest and maintain control of those resources, often using children as laborers or soldiers.

US legislators were moved enough to include regulations around conflict minerals in the 2010 Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, with the law requiring companies to file annual disclosures on the sourcing of four minerals – tin, tungsten, tantalum and gold, collectively known as 3TGs – associated with the crisis in the country.

This required companies to actually ask their suppliers where they got the raw materials for their products through a conflict minerals reporting template (CMRT) survey. And when the suppliers gave them a list of smelters and refiners (SORs), the companies had to ensure those smelters/refiners had gone through a third-party audit to ensure their supply chain was conflict-free.

Nothing to see, move along:

quote:

That's a line from the introduction of last year's Microsoft conflict minerals report, a line Microsoft began including in its reports starting with the 2019 reporting year.

That line does not appear in this year's report, raising the concerning idea that Microsoft did have reason to believe it funded militias in or around the Democratic Republic of Congo last year.

Worried about reading too much into the line's absence, we reached out to Microsoft to ask if the company believes its supply chain financed armed groups during the 2022 reporting year.

The company's spokesperson said they had "nothing to share" beyond what was in the report.

We'll think about it:

quote:

Sony identified 69 suppliers this year who were using such smelters/refiners. Only 22 told Sony they would take steps to improve their sourcing. Sony says it "may" stop doing business with suppliers who don't cooperate, but even admits that step would only be taken after "numerous requests and reminders" fail to produce the desired improvement.

Also concerning is Sony's ignorance about where a considerable amount of its conflict minerals are coming from. Of the 91 non-conformant smelters/refiners the company identified, it doesn't even know the location and/or the mine of origin for 64 of them.

And possibly the best of the lot:

quote:

Last year, GameStop's reporting was unremarkable. It received a 100% response rate from its suppliers, and said 14 of the 16 SORs they collectively used were certified as conflict-free.

This year's numbers were more remarkable, both for the backsliding and for the phrasing GameStop used in trying to obscure just how much worse the numbers were.

"We identified the names of 50 smelters/refineries in our supply chain. All but 31 of the identified smelters have been confirmed to be CFSI certified conflict-free smelters. Not all of our suppliers, however, identified the sources for their raw materials."

:ironicat:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Semi-conductor fabs are a monstrosity but they are basically all in Taiwan and China so it's kind of a mess in regards to corporate governance. That's not to say the industry shouldn't be heavily pushing and incentivizing ethically sourced precious metals, which they evidently aren't. Just that it's unlikely that any big electronics supply chain is completely free of conflict minerals.

All that said, holy poo poo Gamestop. Did they switch auditors?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 3, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Fruits of the sea posted:

Semi-conductor fabs are a monstrosity but they are basically all in Taiwan and China so it's kind of a mess in regards to corporate governance. That's not to say the industry shouldn't be heavily pushing and incentivizing ethically sourced precious metals, which they evidently aren't. Just that it's unlikely that any big electronics supply chain is completely free of conflict minerals.

All that said, holy poo poo Gamestop. Did they switch auditors?

It reads to me like they expanded from 16 total SORs in 2021, to 50 in 2022. Most of the new ones weren't compliant.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Just a general rule of thumb and unprompted thought, but I tend to feel that at the point where you make genital models, that is the time where management should lay down the law and demand scope control, unless you are a purveyor of porn games.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

StratGoatCom posted:

Just a general rule of thumb and unprompted thought, but I tend to feel that at the point where you make genital models, that is the time where management should lay down the law and demand scope control, unless you are a purveyor of porn games.

I dunno man, the temperature-responsive horse nuts in RDR2 were a pretty key feature for the kinds of people who actually notice those things. And who knows, maybe someday modders will be really interested in knowing if Cloud dresses to the left or to the right?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

Balder's Gate 3?

On the one hand modders are going to "put tits on a mudcrab" eventually so you might just put them in from the start. On the other hand many modders would consider any default naughty bits "inadequate" so just let them do all the work.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

MH Knights posted:

Balder's Gate 3?

On the one hand modders are going to "put tits on a mudcrab" eventually so you might just put them in from the start. On the other hand many modders would consider any default naughty bits "inadequate" so just let them do all the work.

yeah, and it's a red flag that other resources are being wasted if you see that kind of poo poo.

basically, if you hear that your art dev is researching dick and balls, it's time to find out what in blazes is going on there because you can bet more and worse resource misallocation is happening.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 8, 2023

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

StratGoatCom posted:

yeah, and it's a red flag that other resources are being wasted if you see that kind of poo poo.

basically, if you hear that your art dev is researching dick and balls, it's time to find out what in blazes is going on there because you can bet more and worse resource misallocation is happening.

This is one of the strangest takes I have ever heard, especially citing a game that by all accounts is pretty good at delivering what it promised in spades? What resources are the artists not working on because they made some lewd bits?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
both BG3 and RDR2 have gotten criticism for developmental excess, though i think that you could draw way stronger correlations between content and budget misallocation re: subjects other than nut physics

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

claw game handjob posted:

This is one of the strangest takes I have ever heard, especially citing a game that by all accounts is pretty good at delivering what it promised in spades? What resources are the artists not working on because they made some lewd bits?

They should not be working on that many at all! Overscope is a rampant problem in AAA.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Baldur's Gate 3 is a game that at least unless everyone is lying just took this long because that's how long a big budget game takes when employees work reasonable hours. So far as I've played it's great, tons of fun reactivity.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

StratGoatCom posted:

The one area you're correct in is that while they're researching that there are people out there that have been doing that poo poo for free for years, bring them in, they'll whip one out in a day and a half tops.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
It was very important that I get a fully modeled Bugbear dong for the critical storytelling experience of BG3.

Seriously though I think that the artists had time on their hands waiting for the writers to complete the dialog for every single loving animal and dead body in the game. It's like they saw the graveyard scene in the DnD movie and somebody said "YES I NEED HOURS OF THAT".

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Terrible Opinions posted:

Baldur's Gate 3 is a game that at least unless everyone is lying just took this long because that's how long a big budget game takes when employees work reasonable hours. So far as I've played it's great, tons of fun reactivity.

even in that case... well, to steal a term from GSG, it may be a signal to start going wide rather then tall with your projects.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Rockstar actually did skimp on Arthur Morgan's dangly bits.

But I think there's a difference between, like, modeling Alyx's cervix and acknowledging genitals exist. People have genitals and have sex. They can just exist and not be weird.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

mycot posted:

Rockstar actually did skimp on Arthur Morgan's dangly bits.

But I think there's a difference between, like, modeling Alyx's cervix and acknowledging genitals exist. People have genitals and have sex. They can just exist and not be weird.

That reminds me of an article I read about the adult content modders for Skyrim. They talked to the top rated genital creator, and she said something like "I don't do it for porn sake, I do it because I feel that genitals are real, and that it's important that my character have them even if I never see them."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It's probably not great for games intended to be rated for a younger audience or without nudity, and I think it's deffo not great when, say, you're using a licensed likeness. Someone had the bright idea to render the breasts on Kim Basinger's licensed likeness in that Crime Boss: Rockay City game, and then, because the game's a jankfest, her blouse would clip through her.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
cyberpunk would have been fine on release if cd project red hadn't spent $25M on modeling dicks and balls

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

BG3 was in early access for 3 years and was in way better shape when early access started than when CP2077 actually released lol

They also had an absolutely insane budget compared to their past games. Not even 10 years ago they were relying on Kickstarter just to do Original Sin with a few $M budget while BG3 is well above $100M

Larian was a relatively small indie developer prior to BG3 and they don't have a management suite typical of a large AAA developer. They don't have a CEO who's spending their time managing their multiple ongoing projects or anything. Their founder/CEO is the actual director of BG3.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 8, 2023

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

koolkal posted:

BG3 was in early access for 3 years and was in way better shape when early access started than when CP2077 actually released lol

They also had an absolutely insane budget compared to their past games. Not even 10 years ago they were relying on Kickstarter just to do Original Sin with a few $M budget while BG3 is well above $100M

Larian was a relatively small indie developer prior to BG3 and they don't have a management suite typical of a large AAA developer. They don't have a CEO who's spending their time managing their multiple ongoing projects or anything. Their founder/CEO is the actual director of BG3.

That's all well and good but what if we just made strange, spurious claims and blamed them on dicks and boobs instead

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Is there any good info on the budget of BG3?

Luke warm take at this point: BG3 is an outstanding game and I expect it will be a landmark title that will become the universal measuring stick for RPGs for many years to come. Larian did a wonderful job - dicks and boobs included.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Yeah, uh, that's a problem considering most won't use the same EA model, it will be C-suit morons trying to make their own with their own dysfunctional product dev models and crunch. There's a convo needed on scope and project management in the industry and it needs to happen hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Is there any good info on the budget of BG3?

Luke warm take at this point: BG3 is an outstanding game and I expect it will be a landmark title that will become the universal measuring stick for RPGs for many years to come. Larian did a wonderful job - dicks and boobs included.

No info AFAIK on actual budget but they had 400 developers and active development was 5 or so years.

Some numbers to compare it to:

CP2077: 500 developers, $175M development cost, 5 years
Horizon Forbidden West: 300 developers $212M development cost, 5 years
TLOU2: 200 developers, $220M development cost, 6 years

These generally refer to full-time employees although there's usually often a varying amount of work contracted out depending on the project.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 8, 2023