Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Thanks for the tips and resources, especially these:

Docjowles posted:

It can be useful to nominate guys that aren't your personal favorites, because it removes money from the pool so there's less competition for the dudes you really really want. How well this actually works depends on how savvy the league is.

Pay attention to who's been drafted. If the last "good" player before a big tier drop off in rankings is about to go, he might end up costing a lot more than the last few guys did as people freak out and try to avoid getting shut out. Try not to put yourself in that position where you're panic buying the last good QB.

Don't try to be the value police and bid up a player that you think someone is getting too cheap unless you're willing to end up with him.

I hadn't thought about the "try to empty other people's pockets" angle, that certainly helps with figuring out who to possibly nominate.

This thread has been a lot of help :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Docjowles posted:

Can't really answer this without knowing your other candidates but he's a solid value sure

He's the only one worth keeping I think, so I would either keep him for a 7th or go in fresh. (The end of last year was bad for me)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

Thanks for the tips and resources, especially these:

I hadn't thought about the "try to empty other people's pockets" angle, that certainly helps with figuring out who to possibly nominate.

This thread has been a lot of help :)

Also there used to be a comedy nomination option back in the day where there was a good Adrian Peterson and a bad Adrian Peterson and watching someone accidentally pay 60 bucks for Chicago Bear Adrian Peterson was glorious.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I like to nominate QB’s early in auction drafts. Sometimes people end up spending way too much for the top ones, especially early.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

RCarr posted:

I like to nominate QB’s early in auction drafts. Sometimes people end up spending way too much for the top ones, especially early.

Yeah, I'm starting to put some pieces together here.

The group will be 12 OU fans, and I know they'll overbid on OU players (like CeeDee Lamb); it doesn't look like a whole lotta former Sooners are near the top of any draft rankings, but it's something to keep in mind when it's my turn to nominate.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Also it's ironic that Good Adrian Peterson in life was the Bear one

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Judgy Fucker posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to put some pieces together here.

The group will be 12 OU fans, and I know they'll overbid on OU players (like CeeDee Lamb); it doesn't look like a whole lotta former Sooners are near the top of any draft rankings, but it's something to keep in mind when it's my turn to nominate.

So the whole group is new to auction?

For new groups, one of two things seems to happen pretty much every time:

- Early high-end nominations go for a value. If you are paying whatever the listed projected price is for a top 10 player, you are getting a deal. If this is what your market does, move in on a couple of top guy you like early. Once everyone starts panic bidding at the end of tiers, you'll be glad you got in when you did.

- Early high-end nominations go for a lot, say 10% more than projected value or even more. If this is your market, move in on a couple of top guys you like early (notice the theme, here). It's okay to overpay, as long at you still have a stack of money (33%-50% or more). What's going to happen is the market will crash and guys will start going for much less than projected value. This is where you make up for your overpaying: By going in on guys early then playing the waiting game.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 7, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

So the whole group is new to auction?

No, I’m the only new one. Most of them have been doing this for a long time. The whole group is OU homers, lol

But I do appreciate the other information!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Judgy Fucker posted:

No, I’m the only new one. Most of them have been doing this for a long time. The whole group is OU homers, lol

But I do appreciate the other information!

Oh okay, then there are a couple of other ways the market might move. People paying 5% over proj value for most top 24 guys. That still creates a market crash so the strategy still remains "get your guys, but be sure to have some $ left over for when the market crashes."

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

RCarr posted:

I hate nominating quarterbacks early in drafts. It never gets as much out of the pot as a running back or wide receiver and you are hurting your chances at getting a great price on an elite talent. The longer a draft goes without a QB being nominated, the better your chance at getting an elite guy at a discount.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m hungry for fantasy football and babey I want seconds

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Some really good tips in this discussion

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

I hate nominating quarterbacks early in drafts. It never gets as much out of the pot as a running back or wide receiver and you are hurting your chances at getting a great price on an elite talent. The longer a draft goes without a QB being nominated, the better your chance at getting an elite guy at a discount.

Yea I guess my league values QB’s a lot higher than most. When we started my dynasty league someone drafted Aaron Rodgers at $45 when he was valued at like $16 by Beersheets.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sataere posted:

Yeah I just want to fill rb and wr slots on other teams. There are enough great qbs that we can all have one and not really force a spike.

As RCarr points out, it does vary and can be weaponozed if you know your league well.

Judge Fucker, do you happen to have a list of last year's auction results you can post? We love getting under the hood for tailoring advice to new auction players.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

Judge Fucker, do you happen to have a list of last year's auction results you can post? We love getting under the hood for tailoring advice to new auction players.

So evidently they haven't done an auction draft in 7 years--they've used other methods in the meantime--so no record.

But I really appreciate the offer! I'm excited for the auction. We're gonna have everyone together and do it over a few hours. It'll be a good ol' time.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I love auctions they are wonderful and grand and beautiful

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Our keeper league made a recent change, we used to have a multi-round silent bidding portion for free agents and expiring keepers but last year we said gently caress it and transitioned to doing a full-scale mini RFA auction. It’s short, a lot of fun, and gets everyone together to reconnect over Zoom and talk poo poo a week or so before the actual draft.

Y’know, in addition to the constant poo poo talking year round.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Judgy Fucker posted:

So evidently they haven't done an auction draft in 7 years--they've used other methods in the meantime--so no record.

But I really appreciate the offer! I'm excited for the auction. We're gonna have everyone together and do it over a few hours. It'll be a good ol' time.

Oh... so much had changed since then. I wonder what aberrations this draft will have. A $30-40 Kelce? A under $50 Chase and JJeff?

This truly could be a unicorn draft

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I'll try to get a record of it and y'all can have fun with it when it's time

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
For auctions the key is to not think you are a special boy (or girl) who is the only one waiting for whatever sleepers are left. When the draft is almost over there will be a handful of teams with $15 left bidding up the last remaining good player who was projected to go for $5. Similarly, the last player for a tier is always overpriced because 5 different teams will be like "there are 3 RBs I will be happy with as my RB1, no need to bid on the next 2".

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Yeah making tiers is easily on the S tier list of "things to do for auction drafts"

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What’s the best place to find Dynasty Salary Cap values for players?

In our rookie (snake) draft we have free agents available to be picked, at whatever their expert consensus salary cap value is. We currently use fantasypros but they don’t take the dynasty aspect into consideration so I’m sure there’s a better one.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sometimes I think I want to get into a long term money league etc but then I hear about the drama and all that bullshit and I think nah I’ll stick to free yahoo leagues that end up half abandoned by the end but are still fun and usually drama free.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Drama is rare and amusing. Playing for real is much better than playing random inactive people. At least join a free goon league or something.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The rare bit of drama or anger in no way comes close to overshadowing the sheer amount of hilarity you get with a long term league. For instance, nobody on Yahoo is convincing somebody to take the SATs as a 40 year old adult because they came in last in their fantasy league like we made a couple do.

Their score was utterly humiliating. It turns out you forget a lot of that poo poo.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah playing with a bunch of randos who will stop checking their team by October for zero money or bragging rights doesn’t sound appealing to me but to each their own.

This thread doesn’t really talk best ball or DFS but those can be fun formats if you just like picking dudes and having an extra rooting interest every week. Without the social dynamics of a managed league.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I absolutely love Best Ball and would love to talk about it more.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Pain of Mind posted:

Drama is rare and amusing. Playing for real is much better than playing random inactive people. At least join a free goon league or something.

Where are the free goon leagues? I assume every league that has a thread is a pay league.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Is it really fantasy football if you don't have someone to trash talk? Aside from yourself, that is.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Zack posted:

Where are the free goon leagues? I assume every league that has a thread is a pay league.

You know you want back in. Don't you.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sometimes I think I want to get into a long term money league etc but then I hear about the drama and all that bullshit and I think nah I’ll stick to free yahoo leagues that end up half abandoned by the end but are still fun and usually drama free.

Just get better friends. The leagues with people I actually like never have drama. The leagues with acquaintances or work friends suck.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

You know you want back in. Don't you.

I never left! Are you confusing me with someone else?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Zack posted:

Nope. 20 team is a free one.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sataere posted:

Just get better friends. The leagues with people I actually like never have drama. The leagues with acquaintances or work friends suck.

Yea I would never be in a big money league with anyone but my friends. It’s asking for trouble. Get a group of people you trust and you’re golden.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Sataere posted:

I have been playing in a league with (roughly) the same guys for eight years, and the league existed for two or three years before I joined. It was originally a bunch of people who all went to college together and then some people dropped out, some friends of friends and roommates joined and dropped, two people actually died.

As a result, this league has been filled to the brim with drama sometimes as all the normal things that happen between college friends happen. It has ranged from serious (a few rage quits and returns, giant fights over unfair trades) to extremely silly (one person protested a dues hike by paying entirely in one-cent venmo transactions, last year we moved league chat to Discord and one guy pretended to be the commish for weeks.) After so long, patterns have emerged, we're all used to each other's complaints. We know who the taco/zombie teams will be, we know that after about six weeks I'll throw a fit about it. We're old men now.

At this point I consider the drama to be part of my dues, it's what makes the game worth the price of admission for me. I get six-eight months of stupid entertainment beyond just the game. Most of these guys are my friends and attended my wedding this year.

The drama and the silliness of fantasy football has become a huge part of my life and my connections with this group of guys. I love it, it's so stupid.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Silly Burrito posted:

Nope. 20 team is a free one.

Are there still slots on 20 team? Where's that thread?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Real talk: I was mostly exaggerating about the drama, I’m sure it’s fine. I do enjoy the free yahoo leagues though. It’s weird because I take it super seriously (not to the point of it being a stressful thing) too. I guess I like the 100% lean into the strategy of it but I don’t care about the league being super difficult. I love building my team, seeing it evolve, learning about teams and players I wouldn’t otherwise pay attention to. I’m also picky and prefer very stock scoring like no ppr and that’s tough to find sometimes. I don’t know, I’m probably just weird about it all.

I think my main issue is that I think money getting involved makes most things suck rear end. I don’t like sports betting and have avoided money fantasy leagues for that reason but especially with randoms money is what makes them stick to the league. Hopefully I can find a good free goon league that matches everything I want but who knows. If not I’ll be coming in 4th place in some dumb random league.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I just did a dynasty startup draft a couple weeks ago. If I'm not happy with my team and want to tear it down and rebuild, should I trade Bijan? I wouldn't be competing for a couple of years so running backs are less important to me, and we order rookie draft positions by max points. As much as I'd hate to part with Bijan I think that's my best bet if I want to make a move for Caleb Williams. Right now the offer I'm considering making is Bijan and Stafford for Stroud and a 1st round rookie pick in 2024 and 2025.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I mean if you’re rebuilding having the best prospect in however many years as a rookie is as good as it’s gonna get. Maybe if you get an insane haul for him I’d consider it but otherwise I’d keep him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Vargo posted:

Are there still slots on 20 team? Where's that thread?

Right now it’s full, but you’re welcome to post and ask to be placed on the waitlist. We usually have 1-2 people who get added each year.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034960&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1