Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kru posted:

Have you considered Scotland, the better England

I’m under the impression that equating Scotland with England in any way could be construed as fightin’ words in some parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Pookah posted:

I visited the Isle of Man a several times when I was a kid (so, many years ago), and I always really liked it.

Traveling around on the dinky little steam trains, and the electric trams was fun, and there are a good few places to visit, like the Laxey Wheel, and the top of Snaefell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laxey_Wheel

Near the harbour in Douglas, there is a Camera Obscura, not a destination in itself, but a fun thing to visit if you're going for a walk out that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Union_Camera_Obscura

Castle Rushen is pretty interesting too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Rushen

Peel Castle is worth a look too, though it is mostly ruins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peel_Castle

edit: just look at how little the trains are, and they all have names :3:

edit: just to add a little extra nostalgia, we used to sail there in a small boat, over from Howth in Ireland. It was a 16 hour voyage, and part of the time, we were out of sight of land, so arriving in Douglas felt like we'd basically crossed an ocean to get there :3:

This looks delightful, thank you!

kru posted:

Have you considered Scotland, the better England

Scotland is bigger and will get its own trip at some point. I'll have like 3 or 4 days extra after visiting my friends, so I wanted a place where I can feel like I didn't miss too terribly much after that long.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Hi Goons, moving to Berlin in October, any tips? Websites/must have apps? Ive heard rent is hosed (but where isnt at the moment?).

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hi folks, relatively quick question. I’m going to Europe for two weeks and my cell phone provider in the US doesn’t have an international option. How easy would it be, when I get to Europe, to buy one of those cheap and easy cell provider’s SIM card and just toss it in and go? Does it work like that? My phone isn’t tied to any network or anything.

If this is as doable as I am hoping, is there a provider that’d work for Netherlands, Belgium, France, and Scotland?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Extremely easy. Might take a sign in/setup text or something, or if you buy the SIM card from a kiosk the person there can probably do it for you.

Bring a small container to keep your current SIM card safe.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Will that sim card gently caress with my SIM card/phone number poo poo in the US?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Will that sim card gently caress with my SIM card/phone number poo poo in the US?

I don't think so. I did it the other way with a new SIM in the states and my whatsapp still worked fine. You won't receive SMSs except to the new number though.

It might not be an issue at all though, most newish phones are dual SIM or virtual SIM. Check your model and see what you've got. Then you'll need to figure out if your carrier will just not deliver calls and texts while you're roaming or charge you out the rear end.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Yeah I have an iPhone X so I dunno really if the new SIM card will gently caress with the phone’s normal sorta course of being, or if it will just be able to adapt to the new SIM card without much trouble.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No you just pop it in, activate it, and all that’s changed is you have a new phone number, so phone calls and texts to your old number won’t work. Texts to your AppleID will still work.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Does iPhone X allow eSIM? If so, you can buy one and toggle what you'd like each SIM to do and won't have to worry about losing your current SIM.

Otherwise, no, swapping out the SIM won't break anything but obviously means things attached to your number e.g. SMS won't come through until you put the old SIM back in. I can't quite remember how it works with WhatsApp but I'm pretty sure it won't break it - I was using WhatsApp and Signal with an eSIM just fine recently.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
eSIM is only supported starting with the iPhone XS, so unfortunately no.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The first time you open WhatsApp with a new SIM card installed it will ask you if you want to change your WhatsApp number to the new one. The answer is No, because anyone who WhatsApps the old number won’t get through (which kings defeats the point).

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

webmeister posted:

The first time you open WhatsApp with a new SIM card installed it will ask you if you want to change your WhatsApp number to the new one. The answer is No, because anyone who WhatsApps the old number won’t get through (which kings defeats the point).

It preserves individual chats and group chats which will work for most people - typing in the actual number is only necessary for the first message to someone.

Nevertheless there's no reason to do it for a temporary trip abroad!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Can confirm that you can use WhatsApp with a different simcard.

Just came back from European holiday where I used an o2 simcard. I used my preexisting WhatsApp account on my phone with no need to change the number. Now I have put my old simcard back in and everything is back to normal.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Anyone got any recs on which provider to go with?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not necessarily a rec, but an Orange travel/holiday SIM will work in all those countries.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sandwolf posted:

There is an EU regulation that says any EU sim provider is legally required to provide roaming within all of the EU for no higher price than the costs in its home country.

Providers generally slap in a few other non-EU countries such as Switzerland and the UK. Not sure if that's part of the law or just historical reasons.
Usually they have a list somewhere on the website of what countries they cover.

"Within Europe", the only place that I personally encountered that is not covered by this law is the satellite roaming connection you get once you hit the open sea on the international North Sea ferries. Better to turn your phone to airplane mode or whatever to prevent crazy charges there.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Sandwolf posted:

I just came back from Europe and used o2 across multiple EU countries and the UK, was cheap and worked okay.

I think I paid 67 AUD for 100 GB sim card which lasted 30 days (keep in mind AUD isn't worth poo poo lol)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Sandwolf posted:

Three should be decent and affordable for these countries.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'll be in London for a few nights soon. I saw Tokyo Diner mentioned a few pages back. Any other cool / not touristy places anyone can recommend in that general area?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve only been to London once, but I don’t think you’re going to find many “not touristy” things on the border of Soho/Covent Garden/Leicester Square.

That being said, I found the Sir John Soane’s museum (I.e. his house) a few blocks away was unexpectedly bizarre and interesting.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

if you get a chance, book an evening at Denis Server’s house in Spitalfields. it’s a pretty unique experience, and you get to sit down for a wine with refills at the end. it’s costly though, I think £200 (possibly per person) and just one or two nights a month at most, with not many spots open

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have a friend in Switzerland that I need to send some items to. I want to also include some American novelty candy/snacks. What should I pack? I’m also in Los Angeles so I have access to Mexican items as well as Korean and Japanese, etc. looking for things that would otherwise not be available in Switzerland. With globalization not sure what’s imported in 2023. I was told not to send Oreos since that’s already available there.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 8, 2023

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Shaocaholica posted:

I have a friend in Switzerland that I need to send some items to. I want to also include some American novelty candy/snacks. What should I pack? I’m also in Los Angeles so I have access to Mexican items as well as Korean and Japanese, etc. looking for things that would otherwise not be available in Switzerland. With globalization not sure what’s imported in 2023. I was told not to send Oreos since that’s already available there.

Where does your friend live? I'm in Geneva and there's at least one grocery store with a section for American expats, including the candy and such that isn't universal (there are snickers everywhere, this is like twizzlers and almond joy level stuff). I have to imagine all the big cities have similar, so unless your friend is in a small town, there's not gonna be that much that's not available.

The trick is more things that are available but only in poor imitations. E.g. I grew up in Texas, and while there are chips and salsa and taco shells and the like here in Swiss grocery stores, they are uniformly awful. The same thing is true of Asian ingredients.

Are you looking to be useful to your friend or to surprise them? If the former, just ask. If the latter, yeah lean into stuff from LA. We don't have much Mexican candy around, definitely.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Taco shells do NOT ship well, IME. Some cool salsas might go down well, or some niche Japanes or Korean sauces or treats (nori isn't impossible to find but there are probably a lot more interesting salts/flavors on your shelves--Korean stuff I think is hard to find though). Geneva does a lot more for expats than anywhere else here. There's probably a place in Zurich that has some stuff but everywhere else has to order off of junkfood.ch and the prices are ridiculous (and it looks like it's down now anyway). Most of the stuff here is only the basic brand, like only Nacho Cheese Doritos and no other varieties so if they had a particular snack they liked that's not the standard variety it could be hard to find. Depending on how long they've been here, they might not even know what's available in a candy aisle now, I got cold brew caramel M&Ms this summer for the first time. We only get peanut here.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Hi guys! With my partner we're looking into spending about a week at the baltic coast of Poland, around Gdasnk. Have any goons already been there, anything specific to recommend? I saw that there is the Malbork castle and the Słowiński national park nearby, are they worth it?
We're from France, and we do like a bit of everything, be it historic sites, nature, sports, bars, bar & club scene... But not if it is too crowded or too expensive. Kinda generic I know, but I hope that helps a bit :v:

Thank you!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

I also always just ordered stuff (eg for thanksgiving) from American Food Avenue, https://www.afoodave.ch. They used to have shops in Geneva and Zürich but looks like they shut both and they’re online-only now. There are good Japanese shops in Switzerland, eg I know where they are in Zurich (Nishi, near Opernplatz) and Lausanne (Uchitomi, near Flon).

But it sounds like you’re sending stuff besides food, and food is the bonus? I always like getting Goldfish when I’m back in the US since the Swiss goldfish suck, but everyone has their own "thing" they miss. Nerds, Skittles, Reese’s Pieces, and Warheads are also on my shopping list if I have extra space when coming back to CH. Regular Reese’s cups are available everywhere.

Sometimes I get random stuff like pop tarts and mac n cheese even through I probably ate like five pop tarts and two boxes of mac n cheese in total over my entire childhood in the US. Also cheerios. Root beer (A&W is findable in Germany but I’ve never seen it in CH; likewise for Dr Pepper).

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

What kind of candy / snacks does your friend like? Wouldn't make much sense sending something sour when he likes sweet / savory stuff.

I would say in most if not all major cities there are places where you can buy American candy or snacks. The trick is finding the "Limited Edition" stuff. You said your friend said that they have Oreo's there but I guarantee they don't have the special unique type of Oreo's that are available in the US (Different flavors, sizes etc.)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Chikimiki posted:

Hi guys! With my partner we're looking into spending about a week at the baltic coast of Poland, around Gdasnk. Have any goons already been there, anything specific to recommend? I saw that there is the Malbork castle and the Słowiński national park nearby, are they worth it?
We're from France, and we do like a bit of everything, be it historic sites, nature, sports, bars, bar & club scene... But not if it is too crowded or too expensive. Kinda generic I know, but I hope that helps a bit :v:

Thank you!

Yea you can take a train to Malbork (about an hour one way with the cheapest option, it's like 30 minutes by car). Other than that you've got Park Oliwski, Old Town, Museum of Solidarity, WW2 museum, maybe Westerplatte. If you're into hiking in the forests you can take a look around the western part of the city (you can start around here. You can also check out some ships like Dar Pomorza and the destroyer Blyskawica in Gdynia.

Edit: Also when it comes to clubbing, back at my old workplace we liked going from some cherry liquor, some shots and then karaoke (though I think that's on Thursdays only at this particular place), maybe something to consider :v:

mmkay fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 8, 2023

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Sopot is a cute seaside town near Gdansk, worth a day trip if the weather is nice.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Yea, you can do that with a rented bike potentially too (don't ask me where's a good place to rent though), there's a nice bike+pedestrian path by the sea (it's like a 30-40 minute ride, also you can also cycle to say Sobieszewska Island, it's a bit longer though)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I’ve had a lot of difficulty finding peanut M&Ms in Northern Europe. Not the ones with a nut in, the soft ones that taste like Reeses Pieces

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Just to clarify the food would be a surprise bonus. The actual package is car parts. He’s just a guy I met online so I don’t know his food tastes. Don’t really care if he likes it tbh but that would be nice. He lives in 8806 Bäch which I guess is just Zurich.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Oh yeah, he's just on the other side of the lake from Zurich, so if it's just a nice gesture throw in some of the less common m&ms (lol if it's the pretzel ones to a man living in a Germanic area) and like some funky Mexican chili powder candy and you've already gone above and beyond.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

mmkay posted:

Yea you can take a train to Malbork (about an hour one way with the cheapest option, it's like 30 minutes by car). Other than that you've got Park Oliwski, Old Town, Museum of Solidarity, WW2 museum, maybe Westerplatte. If you're into hiking in the forests you can take a look around the western part of the city (you can start around here. You can also check out some ships like Dar Pomorza and the destroyer Blyskawica in Gdynia.

Edit: Also when it comes to clubbing, back at my old workplace we liked going from some cherry liquor, some shots and then karaoke (though I think that's on Thursdays only at this particular place), maybe something to consider :v:

Doll House Ghost posted:

Sopot is a cute seaside town near Gdansk, worth a day trip if the weather is nice.

mmkay posted:

Yea, you can do that with a rented bike potentially too (don't ask me where's a good place to rent though), there's a nice bike+pedestrian path by the sea (it's like a 30-40 minute ride, also you can also cycle to say Sobieszewska Island, it's a bit longer though)

Alright, thanks for the recommendations guys, will try to give some feedback later this month :)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Oh yeah, he's just on the other side of the lake from Zurich, so if it's just a nice gesture throw in some of the less common m&ms (lol if it's the pretzel ones to a man living in a Germanic area) and like some funky Mexican chili powder candy and you've already gone above and beyond.

Lol I'm an American and I don't even know what pretzel m&ms are.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Planning a one-week trip to Norway in Oct or Nov and I'm struggling to fit in everything I want to do. My current itinerary looks roughly like this:

Oslo- 1 night on arrival
Alesund- 2 nights, mainly for Geirangerfjord
Tromso- 3 nights
Oslo - 1 night for return to US

The main motivation for this trip is Tromso, and I know there are a ton of fjord tours that leave from Tromso too. Would the stop in Alesund for Geirangerfjord be worth it? Also, I've read that Bergen is also a great place to visit, is that worth it? The trip would be focused on fjords, natural scenery, etc. I'd be planning on taking public transport everywhere.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Anyone got recos for a weekend in Copenhagen? I don't live very far away (about 3ish hours) but have still never been there and am doing a "why not?" Thursday-to-Sunday long weekend trip in a couple weeks.

Things that are cool and good: idk, most anything? Good food, good drinks, cool stuff to see, historical/museums fine, chill live music maybe
Things that don't interest me: clubbing or parties

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Drone posted:

Anyone got recos for a weekend in Copenhagen? I don't live very far away (about 3ish hours) but have still never been there and am doing a "why not?" Thursday-to-Sunday long weekend trip in a couple weeks.

Things that are cool and good: idk, most anything? Good food, good drinks, cool stuff to see, historical/museums fine, chill live music maybe
Things that don't interest me: clubbing or parties

Been a couple years since I've been there. Get a good Smørrebrød for breakfast at one of the many cafes. Walk down the shopping street Strøget to the famous harbor houses at Nyhavn. Check out the royal palace while you're in the neighbourhood.
I also visited the Round Tower which has an observatory.

You can visit the graveyard to see the graves of Hans Christian Andersen, Niels Bohr, and Søren Kierkegaard if you care about that.

A little bit outside the city center, you got Carlsberg brewery. You can do a tour there and a tasting. It's.. not bad but it's a rather typical huge brewery tour, not nearly as personal as the microbrewery tours I've done in some other places in the world. Just don't be upset by the elephants with the large swastika symbols at the original Carlsberg gate, those predate the nazis and are inspired by buddhist peace symbols.

An absolute must-see IMO is Freetown Christiania. It started as an abandoned military base, until squatters moved in and declared the whole neighbourhood independent from Denmark (not that Denmark agrees, but they allow it as long as they behave). The place is full of hippie artist folk, weed smoke, and if you go all the way to the back, weird looking hand-built houses. Just don't ever point your camera at the people selling weed in Christiania's main street, because they may attack you since weed is illegal in Denmark and the sellers do not want to be identified. I enjoyed the guided tour. It's as weird as Christiania itself, you just show up at the main entrance at the right time with the correct amount in cash and someone will come out of a building and shout "IS THERE ANYONE FOR THE TOUR" and you go "yeah" and you can join. info about Christiania tours. They do tell you a bunch more about the history of the place which is nice. As a note - people have said they felt unsafe there at night. I doubt it's that bad but it's more interesting during the day anyways.

If you're into that, a 30 min walk to the North of Christiania you'll find some military frigates and a submarine turned into museums (yes you can go inside them).

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Weaponized Autism posted:

Planning a one-week trip to Norway in Oct or Nov and I'm struggling to fit in everything I want to do. My current itinerary looks roughly like this:

Oslo- 1 night on arrival
Alesund- 2 nights, mainly for Geirangerfjord
Tromso- 3 nights
Oslo - 1 night for return to US

The main motivation for this trip is Tromso, and I know there are a ton of fjord tours that leave from Tromso too. Would the stop in Alesund for Geirangerfjord be worth it? Also, I've read that Bergen is also a great place to visit, is that worth it? The trip would be focused on fjords, natural scenery, etc. I'd be planning on taking public transport everywhere.

Are you aware that Norway is enormous? I'm not sure how you would make this work. If you are planning that over land you'll have a miserable time of mostly traveling long distances.