Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I liked the close call sports breakdown of Anderson v. Ramirez as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhOEmQkHZ4A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Do the Orioles own a piece of MASN? When the A's broadcaster got canned, that decision came from Comcast, not the A's

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mr. Fix It posted:

i enjoy dave sims fine and love goldsmith. i agree with missing blowers

Hope he feels better, heard he had a concussion from a bike fall.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do the Orioles own a piece of MASN? When the A's broadcaster got canned, that decision came from Comcast, not the A's

The Orioles own like 75% of MASN with the remainder being owned by the Nats.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

I just don't get it. "We have previously done pretty badly here. This season, we are, in fact, doing well. This is a good thing."

Like, it's not even Angelos having "thin skin" like Kay said; the dude straight up doesn't have a brain. Only an idiot would somehow spin it into "We're cheap and bad, gently caress the owner in particular." It's not even mildly negative.

https://twitter.com/Merman_Melville/status/1088527693757349888?lang=en

E:
Ahem
https://twitter.com/SonjaMChen/status/1688759565301755905
I see they have not read Shirley Jackson’s seminal tale ‘The Ones Who Walk the Guy Named Ornelas’

zoux fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 8, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

rickiep00h posted:

I just don't get it. "We have previously done pretty badly here. This season, we are, in fact, doing well. This is a good thing."

Like, it's not even Angelos having "thin skin" like Kay said; the dude straight up doesn't have a brain. Only an idiot would somehow spin it into "We're cheap and bad, gently caress the owner in particular." It's not even mildly negative.

I do sort of wonder what a call between Manfred and Angelos would even sound like inre: this. Like, what could Manfred say? It's not like there aren't other owners out there that openly hate their broadcasters or anything.

Angelos notoriously isn't just thin-skinned but also has a bizarre persecution complex and takes completely innocuous comments to be passive aggressive digs at his spending and running of the O's. There's no way multiple people took a look at what Brown said and thought it was bad: it was entirely a single insecure dipshit with power making a unilateral move in the heat of the moment. Extremely bad look for the entire organization and I both feel sorry for Brown and embarrassed for all the people downstream of Angelos who are going to have to somehow spin this to the media as being something other than a petulant tantrum by their moronic owner.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Holy poo poo the vibes were so good this season and Angelos just took a giant poo poo on everything. I’m completely bewildered

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I'm just misreading Angelos as Angels and nodding my head in agreement with everyone

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Gorman Thomas posted:

I'm just misreading Angelos as Angels and nodding my head in agreement with everyone

Have the two ever been seen in the same room together?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Los Angelos Angelos of Nashville

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
TIL Peter Angelos is still alive.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I got a notification that Shohei Ohtani is now the fastest player in MLB history to 40 / 15 in a season, surpassing Ken Griffey Jr.

I thought to myself “Huh, Ohtani making history? Angels must have lost then.”

I looked up the scores, and sure enough…

Tungsten Arm O’Doyle’d yet again.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I want to die

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My brain could not parse the Orioles thing, surely an owner can't be that stupid I thought to myself, foolishly again forgetting the American Capital class.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I am shocked not in the Angels performance tonight, but that Arte didn't fire or suspend Victor Rojas whenever he was critical of the team.

If you had heard this happening to a broadcaster but didn't know the team it would be by far the best guess to assume it was the Angels.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Good Dog posted:

I am shocked not in the Angels performance tonight, but that Arte didn't fire or suspend Victor Rojas whenever he was critical of the team.

If you had heard this happening to a broadcaster but didn't know the team it would be by far the best guess to assume it was the Angels.

Never forget the infamous feud between Chip Caray / Steve Stone and the 2004 Chicago Cubs, culminating in Kent Mercker calling the press box from the bullpen to complain about Stone's negative commentary about the team, prompting Stone to respond, "Who the gently caress is Kent Mercker?"

Mercker and Moises Alou also tried to have Stone and Caray banned from the team charter plane.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

MillennialVulcan posted:

If one didn't watch the whole video of what Kevin said, this is the graphic that was shown on screen. He was literally following the production game notes. Shameful poo poo.

Sell. the. team.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Timby posted:

Never forget the infamous feud between Chip Caray / Steve Stone and the 2004 Chicago Cubs, culminating in Kent Mercker calling the press box from the bullpen to complain about Stone's negative commentary about the team, prompting Stone to respond, "Who the gently caress is Kent Mercker?"

Mercker and Moises Alou also tried to have Stone and Caray banned from the team charter plane.

video from the cubs press box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s9x0rHmrzQ&t=106s

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
The way the Angels have lost each of these games makes it all the more tragic.

If they were just getting clapped, I'd be like, "Welp, the Angels and being the Angels."

But they've been in each game, if not winning going into the later innings. It's like these losses are designed to be as cruel to Angel's fans as possible.

At least Ohtani is probably about to go on a homer tear. He's hitting over .300, but due for some dingers.

Not sure I would have predicted Matt Olson and Ohtani as the two who would battle for the year's home run title.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 8, 2023

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

this Kevin Brown thing has completely killed my good vibes™

I hate this eternally lovely ownership

I'm glad to see just about every broadcast booth across baseball clowning on Angelos

christ

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Captain Log posted:

The way the Angels have lost each of these games makes it all the more tragic.

If they were just getting clapped, I'd be like, "Welp, the Angels and being the Angels."

But they've been in each game, if not winning going into the later innings. It's like these losses are designed to be as cruel to Angel's fans as possible.

Is this not in fact "the Angels and being the Angels"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Walked posted:

this Kevin Brown thing has completely killed my good vibes™

I hate this eternally lovely ownership

I'm glad to see just about every broadcast booth across baseball clowning on Angelos

christ

Hearing them stand up for a colleague so vociferously is giving me such good vibes in a dipshit situation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Is this not in fact "the Angels and being the Angels"

Batted around in the ninth lol

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Hearing them stand up for a colleague so vociferously is giving me such good vibes in a dipshit situation.

yes and i think it will resolve the issue for now and maybe impart a valuable lesson for ol petey.

That is if rich people have any sense of introspection which… prob no but eh.

Let’s go o’s

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
It sucks but losses like last night don't even move the needle for me. I've been an Angels fan for 25 years and I've probably watched 80% of their games since '04. I already bought my tickets for the final home series of the season, i.e. Ohtani's sendoff series.

The only annoying thing is the Dodgers played a day game so I couldn't just change the channel afterwards for a nice palate cleanser.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
yankees big frauds

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Incitatus posted:

yankees big frauds

can you really be frauds if everyone knows you suck? they are just bad.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

mcmagic posted:

I don’t think they suck. Can you provide some evidence that they suck?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

They have one player with an OPS over 800.... They are near the bottom of every single offensive category in the league and their ERA, both starters and bullpen, has gone up every month since May. Also, have you watched them play?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
lol

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Easy. They're the Yankees. Yankees Suck.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

They have one player with an OPS over 800.... They are near the bottom of every single offensive category in the league and their ERA, both starters and bullpen, has gone up every month since May. Also, have you watched them play?

I need more evidence, still not convinced. They're over .500! Injuries! Hard division!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1688914681875099648?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hope these bad vibes don't affect their performance negatively going into this series with the uh

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Allegedly he’s going to be back on Friday

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

FlamingLiberal posted:

Allegedly he’s going to be back on Friday

I'd be looking for another job regardless

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They'll have to offer him a big pay bump to stick around. Just a complete mess of Angelo's own making.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

if they’re over .500 they don’t suck

You can have high standards that’s fine, but a team that wins more than it loses does not, objectively, suck

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

mcmagic posted:

They just split a 4 game series with the Astros who are pretty good. I think they might be coming around. Heckuva job by Cashman and Boone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Honestly the Yankees are a top 5 team in baseball.