Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

The ai assistant is going to open 30% of meetings with:
"Hello. Yes. Can you hear me? Ok. Hold on let me check my mic. I mean speakers. Hello. Um. Yeah. There. Got it. Ok so let's give sjshsb a few minutes to connect."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

movie star loses rights to likeness after using zoom one time

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

movie star loses rights to likeness after using zoom one time

Bold of you to assume they own the rights to their own faces

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
they do and a judge would eviscerate that clause if it was ever tried. all those TOS are ridiculously broad. the main thing is to do the AI stuff quietly without affecting anyone who can afford the challenge

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

BonHair posted:

Bold of you to assume they own the rights to their own faces

Isn't that genuinely what they're striking over right now?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

SpacePig posted:

Isn't that genuinely what they're striking over right now?

that and living off pennies for residuals

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Crispin Glover had his face stolen by Zemeckis in Back To The Future 2 over a dispute about the portrayal of bourgeois values. Glover wasn't in the film but his face was, hot glued to another actor impersonating him.

Crispin raised hell and that's why actors own their likeness and have to sign it away. Studios are having extras who don't know better get paid for 1 day to sell their face which can be used as digital extras "in any media, whether now known or hereafter devised, or in any form whether now known or hereafter devised, an unlimited number of times throughout the universe and forever" (actual contract clause about likeness retention)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

even as a crew member my deal memo often signs away my likeness. I don't get scanned but that way any Behind The Scenes material can be released and I can't ask for compensation or to withhold it

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There was a claim (happened to poster's friend, a very successful novelist) that publishers are now demanding the right to train AI on manuscripts in contracts, and they are not budging.

For those unfamiliar, KKR, formerly known as Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co., are vulture capitalists who have destroyed successful companies (Toys R Us, for one) by both leveraged buyouts and pressing for unattainable profits. This is an all-cash deal, but expect Simon & Schuster to publish even fewer non-blockbuster books.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Antonymous posted:

"in any media, whether now known or hereafter devised, or in any form whether now known or hereafter devised, an unlimited number of times throughout the universe and forever" (actual contract clause about likeness retention)
they left out the "Amen" at the end

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Can someone photoshop Elon and Zuck heads onto this image for their fight?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Antonymous posted:

Crispin Glover had his face stolen by Zemeckis in Back To The Future 2 over a dispute about the portrayal of bourgeois values. Glover wasn't in the film but his face was, hot glued to another actor impersonating him.

Crispin raised hell and that's why actors own their likeness and have to sign it away. Studios are having extras who don't know better get paid for 1 day to sell their face which can be used as digital extras "in any media, whether now known or hereafter devised, or in any form whether now known or hereafter devised, an unlimited number of times throughout the universe and forever" (actual contract clause about likeness retention)

Crispin was right about everything

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Crispin was right about everything

It's funny how the story is almost always presented as Crispin being difficult and eccentric and even trying to use the lawsuits to stifle art.
He was a worker who wanted more money for a role. Zemeckis wouldn't budge, and so they repurposed the molds used for the aged prosthetics to make another actor look like Crispin. They could have done a traditional recast, written him out, exclusively used footage they already had or any number of other options -including paying the dude properly to come back.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
$1,000,000 in the 80s is serious walking around money

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

afaik he wanted to change the ending so that the family didn't solve their problems by getting rich. edit: guess he changed his story

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 02:30 on Aug 8, 2023

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Antonymous posted:

afaik he wanted to change the ending so that the family didn't solve their problems by getting rich. edit: guess he changed his story

Yeah and he was right

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Antonymous posted:

That's part of it, he had disagreements with the ending, and how making the McFlys rich and Biff their servant undermined things.
He didn't refuse to come back unless they changed the ending, it just soured him on it. He didn't come back because he was offered far less than anyone else who came back. The lawsuit was because they were shady about replacing him.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yeah and he was right
Right, especially when 2 became a thing. So old Biff's evil plot is to go back in time and change the past to make himself rich and punish the people who wronged him, as opposed to the noble McFlys who went back in time to punish the people who wronged them, and were all sex perverts

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Aug 8, 2023

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Can someone photoshop Elon and Zuck heads onto this image for their fight?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There was a claim (happened to poster's friend, a very successful novelist) that publishers are now demanding the right to train AI on manuscripts in contracts, and they are not budging.

me vs the computers

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

moving fast and breaking things

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I assume the Power Hour™ is not something they actually pay for?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

starkebn posted:

that's you trying to fit lunch into the no meetings catch up on work hour

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I thought Power Hour was when you take a swig of beer every minute for 60 minutes

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
you are free to do that during your unpaid just eat power hour

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it's cool when businesses slow down or close early in Turkey so people can go to Friday prayers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

it's cool when businesses slow down or close early in Turkey so people can go to Friday prayers

All the execs at the company I work for are in Israel and their weekend starts on Friday so everyone in the US office just fucks off at noon on Fridays cuz nobody's looking

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

starkebn posted:

Just Eat now introduces the power recharge evening! You see, our workers now have the ability to stop working around five in the afternoon and not work all the way until 8 in the morning the next day. It’s very innovative as only a tech startup can be

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

starkebn posted:

We should expect to see a lot more of this sort of thing as the grindset generation starts to burn out. They'll never admit they were wrong, they'll just bring back weekends, vacations, and normal working hours with aggro names.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

starkebn posted:

every single time someone gives me poo poo for not having a "real job", i remember things like this. people who talk/think like this are ghouls and the hustle-grind mindset is loving poison

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

If it weren't sold all stupid like that I think the idea of an enforced lunch break is pretty good tbh. Cuz my wife constantly gets guilted into working through hers (everyone else does it and she'd look bad if she didn't!!!) and I'm sure that's pretty common.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shame Boy posted:

If it weren't sold all stupid like that I think the idea of an enforced lunch break is pretty good tbh. Cuz my wife constantly gets guilted into working through hers (everyone else does it and she'd look bad if she didn't!!!) and I'm sure that's pretty common.

it's the same principle as having a set amount of vacation days being better than "we will stop tracking vacation days, you have effectively unlimited vacation days, do whatever you want", because the latter means social pressure will prevent you from ever going on vacation

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's the same principle as having a set amount of vacation days being better than "we will stop tracking vacation days, you have effectively unlimited vacation days, do whatever you want", because the latter means social pressure will prevent you from ever going on vacation

I always wondered about unlimited vacation, because over here the legal minimum is 5 weeks plus various holidays so everyone gets at least that: Is this unlimited vacation that you're not using with or without pay? I have a feeling it's without, but I really don't get how the American system works

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BonHair posted:

I always wondered about unlimited vacation, because over here the legal minimum is 5 weeks plus various holidays so everyone gets at least that: Is this unlimited vacation that you're not using with or without pay? I have a feeling it's without, but I really don't get how the American system works

it means that if you use a certain, unspecified amount of the "unlimited" vacation, the company will give you truly unlimited vacation without pay by firing you

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

BonHair posted:

It Don’t

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BonHair posted:

it's a very niche program that only a couple of tech companies have tried to implement and marketing it as a sort of "innovation" and progressive generosity to its employees.

quote:

Microsoft is no longer tracking vacation time for US salaried employees starting Jan. 16, according to an internal announcement viewed by Insider.

"You will no longer formally record your vacation time," the announcement states. "How, when, and where we do our jobs has dramatically changed. And as we've transformed, modernizing our vacation policy to a more flexible model was a natural next step."

Time-off will still require manager approval, as is standard for companies with "unlimited' vacation time. Employees with unused vacation time prior to Jan. 15 will receive a payout in April.

In addition to the unlimited time off policy, salaried US employees will get 10 corporate holidays off, can take leaves of absence, and have other days off for illness and mental health, jury duty, and bereavement.

"Beginning January 16, 2023, Microsoft is modernizing our vacation policy to a more flexible model and transitioning to Discretionary Time Off (DTO)," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement to Insider. "How, when, and where employees do their jobs has dramatically changed and DTO aligns with more flexible ways of working."

It's supposed to be paid leave, but as I'd mentioned, it doesn't actually work as well as it sounds at first glance because you're simply pressured into never going on leave

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

It's used to avoid sudden liabilities when the company lays people off. If PTO is a vague "unlimited" amount, then you can't accrue any and they don't have to pay you out accrual when you part ways. Studies show people in unlimited PTO situations don't take more time off anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Also if you quit or get fired, the company is supposed to pay out any unused vacation time. This is why they get antsy about some employees having many weeks of vacation banked, it's a big liability on the books.

Don't have to pay out if you don't have a tracked vacation balance!

edit: ^^^ motherfucker

edit2: Beaten by a Post Nouveau