Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
here's something fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro5Q_8ZHS-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBCWD3sxDKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhwGQ6XPS6E

all of these people, children included, were in the blitz and personally won the war against the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

happyhippy posted:

I want all of you on my 10 mile high funeral pyre.

Let me guess, you plan on having your funeral around the 12th of July? Bloody Northern Irish & their palette funeral pyres.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Apparently fixed tariffs are coming back in: though the recommendation is not to fix right now.

source: heil/money/bills/article-12263249/Should-fixed-rate-energy-tariff-theyre-widely-available.html

quote:

The fixed rate energy deals on offer

Cheapest fixed energy deals

Supplier Tariff name Average annual cost
Ovo Energy 1 Year Fixed + Boiler Cover 04 July 2023 £1,999.47
Utility Warehouse UW Fixed Saver 1 £1,999.98
British Gas Select Aug24 £2,000.37
E.ON Next Next Loyalty Fixed v4 £2,006
So Energy So Juniper One Year £2,048.36
So Energy So Jasmine One Year £2,052.13
Shell Energy Energy July 2024 v11 £2,065.02

Most expensive fixed deals

Supplier Tariff name Average annual cost
British Gas The Fixed One v23 £2,301.20
Ovo 1 Year Fixed + Greener Energy 04 July 2023 £2,199.49
SSE 1 Year Fixed v40 £2,193.55
EDF Energy Essentials Exclusive Jul24 (Credit) £2,187.20
Utility Warehouse UW Fixed Saver 1 £2,142.49
EDF Energy Essentials Exclusive Jul24 (Prepayment meter) £2,100.45
EDF Energy Essentials Exclusive Jul24 (Monthly direct debit) £2,100
Octopus Energy Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed June 2023 v1 £2,100
Affect Energy Affect Loyal 12M Fixed June 2023 v1 £2,100
Co-op Co-op Loyal 12M Fixed June 2023 v1 £2,100
Ebico Living Ebico Loyal Prime 12 Saver June 2023 v1 £2,100
Ovo 1 Year Fixed 4 July 2023 (Monthly direct debit) £2,099.50
SSE 1 Year Fixed v40 (Monthly direct debit) £2,099.50
SSE 1 Year Fixed v40 (Quarterly direct debit) £2,099.50
British Gas The Fixed One v23 £2,099.41
Rebel Energy Rebel Energy Rabbit £2,076

I wish they would stop with this 'average household' BS though. I'm not an average household nor, I suspect, are many others. I want to know the price per kWh for electricity on Economy 7 (and I actually think I'd be better off on single tariff as I have little opportunity to use energy between midnight & 7am except a bit of heating on the coldest winter nights. (We have communal washing machines and I only used my oven twice in almost 4 years because the microwave went kaput).

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I want my remains scattered within the Palace of Westminster. I don't want to be cremated, as that would be bad for the environment. A woodchipper will suffice.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

kingturnip posted:

Am I remembering that the govt made burials at sea a bit easier to arrange in the last few years?
I think there were also moves to do the same for sky burials, too.

Or maybe the other way around. Sky burials are probably more environmentally friendly

https://radiolab.org/podcast/corpse-demon Radiolab had a really good episode recently to do with sky burials. Worth a listen

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
imagining a future where sea burials become much more popular, which in turn fucks up sea ecology and results in a high frequency of human corpses washing up on beaches

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

imagining a future where sea burials become much more popular, which in turn fucks up sea ecology and results in a high frequency of human corpses washing up on beaches

The Great North Sea Body Patch

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Remarkable turnaround really from the big bold clever newspapers that, just 4 years ago were yelling about sunlit uplands and Grate Britane unshackled from Europe and astride the globe wearing Union Jack underpants. They’re now all knocking out stuff that’s even more doomerist about our prospects than this thread lol

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Let us just rest in the satisfaction that absolutely no one saw this coming. There were zero critics of austerity or Brexit. Had there been I believe the British media taken its typical responsible approach and would listen to them considered their opinions valid. They would certainly never attack them as stupid or politically motivated or "doing student politics".

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Let us just rest in the satisfaction that absolutely no one saw this coming. There were zero critics of austerity or Brexit. Had there been I believe the British media taken its typical responsible approach and would listen to them considered their opinions valid. They would certainly never attack them as stupid or politically motivated or "doing student politics".

I wish to partake of your perception altering medicinals. :2bong:

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

smellmycheese posted:

Remarkable turnaround really from the big bold clever newspapers that, just 4 years ago were yelling about sunlit uplands and Grate Britane unshackled from Europe and astride the globe wearing Union Jack underpants. They’re now all knocking out stuff that’s even more doomerist about our prospects than this thread lol

Just read the article: she's gastly in general, but I do find it very interesting when mouthpieces of the ruling class admit that things are looking hosed.

Reading this paragraph:

"But the UK’s fate is not merely to become steadily poorer, crankier and rougher round the edges – a place where, year by year, you become slightly more likely to spend your life renting, be accosted by mentally unstable beggars on the street or die of curable cancer. The risk however is that such a scenario – one of slow-burning misery rather than a full-blown emergency – may in fact be too optimistic. The country is not so much slumping along a downward slope as hurtling towards a cliff edge."

I imagine what the Tory solutions here are:
- Destroy environmentally sensitive areas for more lovely-quality new-builds, while artificially inflating the housing market
- ...hoping they die of exposure?
- Privatise NHS

Of course, Labour's fully costed 2019 manifesto would cover these by introducing some measure of appropriate taxation, but they won't want to talk about that.

It's interesting to see a Tory mouthpiece admit that "massively lower taxes" didn't work as an approach. And raising interest rates isn't working.

What will fix the economy is higher wages & investing in infrastructure. Higher wages encourage people to work, and infrastructure projects provide the things to work on. The problem as I see it is, Britain is a country on the cheap. We're not a Waitrose, a Tesco or even an Iceland. We're a Poundstretcher. Do everything the absolute cheapest, meanest, crappiest way possible, so long as it costs as little as possible first, and earns as much as possible second. Build a crappy public toilet and charge 50p to use it. Destroy the NHS & make you pay for prescriptions. So long as the coffers of the few remain bulging beyond belief.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and to become one with all the people. — Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Archive version of the article: https://archive.li/ZO9w6

Mourning Due posted:

Do everything the absolute cheapest, meanest, crappiest way possible, so long as it costs as little as possible first, and earns as much as possible second.

'Twas ever thus. When I worked in NHS in the 90s, the number of times they accepted the lowest tender, the contractor went bust on the job (not helped by the NHS being one of the slowest payers in the history of the universe) and another firm had to come in and complete the work at 'day rates' (much higher than fixed price for the job) was astonishing.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is her solution lol. Dear god we are in desperate times

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The British Disease is Thatcherism, hth

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

In my CSI lab at 4 am, I shakily hold up a vial of blue elixir labelled "Racism Antidote"

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

List some of these brilliant, unorthodox, eccentric free-thinkers, and explain why they’re all GB News presenters or banned from Twitter

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

The historian is David Starkey, who explains the British disease is just not having enough television programmes about the Tudors

(And also that Hitler did nothing wrong)

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Mourning Due posted:

Reading this paragraph:

"be accosted by mentally unstable beggars on the street"

Sums up the daily mail's view nicely.
The problem isn't that people end up having to live on the street, having to survive via begging, and lacking support for their mental health... it's that they get personally inconvenienced by such a thing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jedit posted:

Mohammed Adil is the guy who was struck off for saying COVID was a hoax.

few pages back but he was suspended for six months for loving up a surgery, various professional malpractice things in the following days, and lying to his responsible officer about how he'd definitely taken down all his covid-is-a-hoax videos.

he then appealed the suspension saying that he's just a little guy and didn't know he'd done anything wrong, and that all the witness statements were from anonymous trolls, which failed.

he can get back to sewing the wrong end of the colon to things in early october

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

smellmycheese posted:

We already have this it's called the government you smooth brained dipshit. The disease is that they're all evil idiots

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

In my CSI lab at 4 am, I shakily hold up a vial of blue elixir labelled "Racism Antidote"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

smellmycheese posted:

Enigma, eh? So the solution is to do whatever the Poles are doing, but with more funding?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Soricidus posted:

Enigma, eh? So the solution is to do whatever the Poles are doing, but with more funding?

And then use that directly against far-right nationalism and fascism. Sounds surprisingly left-wing for the Telegraph.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The British disease is stubbornly refusing to accept the fact that you no longer rule 1/4 of the world, and can now barely even rule the imperial core.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
We know what the country's most significant problems are already: putting a team of nerds together to look really thoroughly into the issues is just displacement activity.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Me to my stepson: "Tidy your room, it's like a tip in here!"

My stepson: "I must first investigate in depth the complex relationship between neatness and untidyness. What even IS untidyness? In this dissertation I shall... "

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

Me to my stepson: "Tidy your room, it's like a tip in here!"

My stepson: "I must first investigate in depth the complex relationship between neatness and untidyness. What even IS untidyness? In this dissertation I shall... "

And then he invoices you for an exploratory committee made up of 10 of his most annoying mates

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Do whatever the Poles are doing, but with more funding and then use that directly against far-right nationalism and fascism." would be an interesting challenge given modern Polish politics.

Unless we're going to get NASA to polish an enormous mirror and then headbutt it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

We know what the country's most significant problems are already: putting a team of nerds together to look really thoroughly into the issues

Yeah, I'll stop you right there.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Looks like arson
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...obox=1691485452

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

What part of the building mysteriously catching fire, fire access roads being blocked by piles of gravel, and the remains of the property being bulldozed hours after the police announced an investigation tipped you off?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Yeah it's remarkable how many listed buildings get bought by private companies and then immediately burn down in the UK.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah it's remarkable how many listed buildings get bought by private companies and then immediately burn down in the UK.

I'm surprised any building in central Glasgow is older than 40 years at this point, they seem to accidentally burn down with such frequency. Still loving mad that the cunts gutted a building nextdoor to the Barfly which also took that out. Was a great wee venue.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Nicholas van Hoogstraten is at it again

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Local government making noises about making it be rebuilt brick by brick using the same materials and not allowing a change of use for the site.
But lol if you think that's going to be enforced

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

josh04 posted:

What part of the building mysteriously catching fire, fire access roads being blocked by piles of gravel, and the remains of the property being bulldozed hours after the police announced an investigation tipped you off?

Real head scratcher for the cops. I’m sure it will need a lengthy investigation to even begin to work out who did it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I'm surprised any building in central Glasgow is older than 40 years at this point, they seem to accidentally burn down with such frequency. Still loving mad that the cunts gutted a building nextdoor to the Barfly which also took that out. Was a great wee venue.
Landlords and speculators have probably done more cumulative urban property damage than any air force of mad bombers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=282qnqL08iY

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Meanwhile, in Ireland…

https://twitter.com/bbcnewsni/status/1688789759022313473?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DreddyMatt posted:

Local government making noises about making it be rebuilt brick by brick using the same materials and not allowing a change of use for the site.
But lol if you think that's going to be enforced

It was enforced with another pub a few years ago.