Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Dawgstar posted:

I'm fuzzy on Havik's time period on the franchise. Is ChaosRealm another whatever Outworld is or is it like the NetherWorld which is Hell sort of, maybe?

Chaosrealm debuted in Deception(much like Orderrealm) and Chaosrealm is just a bunch of disconnected islands floating in a yellow piss abyss that people get to and from via magic star trek teleporters. Orderrealm is just a bunch of rings encircling each other inhabited by a bunch of authoritarians that is floating in a much nicer, bluer abyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Chaosrealm was, ironically, much easier to navigate than Orderrealm.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/noobde/status/1688621742715985920?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

:chloe:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
War Criminals DLC pack.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

For real, don't give Musk any ideas Boon

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Allegedly, Shujinko is going to be a Kameo according to a pretty reputable leak on Reddit

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's been a long time since I played Mythologies but Sareena's ridiculous halloween-devil form isn't a thing that was ever depicted in any of the games, is it?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's been a long time since I played Mythologies but Sareena's ridiculous halloween-devil form isn't a thing that was ever depicted in any of the games, is it?

Not that I remember. I think it is something they created for her in this game.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

Havik's bio has been released. Instead of being the top guy of Chaosrealm, he's instead a lowly citizen of Seido (Orderrealm) with no rights who starts a revolution due to how oppressive the realm is. He wants the whole world to burn down in chaos.

So Lui Kang's meddling has turned Havik into Megatron. Well done, Fail God.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

exquisite tea posted:

I've never been a huge Reptile fan

:mods:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

As I recall she was purported to have a true demonic appearance but spent all her time disguised in the manner that most games depict her as. Possibly they’d meant to show that sooner but she kept just missing the roster for main series entries after Mythologies up until Armageddon.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hogama posted:

As I recall she was purported to have a true demonic appearance but spent all her time disguised in the manner that most games depict her as. Possibly they’d meant to show that sooner but she kept just missing the roster for main series entries after Mythologies up until Armageddon.

Yeah. Her bio for MK Tournament Edition (the GBA port of Deadly Alliance that had a tag mode and had Sareena as an exclusive) explained that her human-like appearance was caused by Quan Chi's magic. When she escaped into Outworld, she realized she could retain that form by feeding off of the realm's aura. Then in her Armageddon bio, she and Sub-Zero fought side-by-side and Sub-Zero got knocked out. The fight was so taxing that Sareena reverted back into her true form, so that when Sub-Zero came to, he freaked out and attacked her.

Since Sareena's only appearances since then have been a quick spot in MKX's story mode and a confusing cameo in Kabal's MK11 ending, they never got around to showing this visually.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can only presume they're using the exact design they came up with in the '00s because good lord is it dumb.

It seems like their soft rule with cameos is to keep them traditional, in contrast to the playable characters which are all reimagined to varying degrees, so it strikes me as odd that they'd take a character that most people would struggle to recognise to begin with and then have them look completely different on top of that... but again, they're stuck with the necessity of divining interesting utility from characters with zero mechanical identity, so I guess you'd practically have to basically have to completely reinvent a character like Sareena just to wring three interesting moves out of them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm gonna go against the grain and say that Sareena's new design kinda owns. More of MK should go after the "spraypainted on the side of a van" aesthetic. :colbert:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
She's the kind of demon you see in illustrations of German fairy tales. Not necessarily bad, but more on the side of Mokap, Meat, that kangaroo with boxing gloves from Tekken.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I legitimately thought she was Meat when I watched the trailer lol

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I legitimately thought she was Meat when I watched the trailer lol

Truth be told I thought Havik was gonna be a stand user what with how he hunched over in the trailer as Sareena does her stuff.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Gavok posted:

Havik's bio has been released. Instead of being the top guy of Chaosrealm, he's instead a lowly citizen of Seido (Orderrealm) with no rights who starts a revolution due to how oppressive the realm is. He wants the whole world to burn down in chaos.

Maybe this guys not so bad after all

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

This the first time in 28 years that Reptile has looked this good in an MK game. Jesus Christ.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Unbound posted:

Allegedly, Shujinko is going to be a Kameo according to a pretty reputable leak on Reddit

YESSSSS

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

G-III posted:

This the first time in 28 years that Reptile has looked this good in an MK game. Jesus Christ.

Hey, I thought he looked pretty good in Deadly Alliance

And then I went to google for a refresher and yeah, this is the best he's looked since MK3 lmao

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Legitimately, is there any one in MK that isn't a colossal gently caress up?

Only one that comes to mind is Shao Khan who spent roughly 10,000 years ruling Edenia/Outworld with no issues.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rep looked great in MK9. His default skin and his retro palette-swap ninja skin both looked dope as hell. The ninja skin looked especially great combined with his idle stance animations. He was also super fun to play.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

The Question IRL posted:

So Lui Kang's meddling has turned Havik into Megatron. Well done, Fail God.

I like to think Liu had no clue who or what Havik was. He just saw a place called Chaosrealm, went "ew", and had it go poof so the good people of Orderrealm could do as they pleased.

Then it turned out "as they pleased" meant doing a tyranny and they reinvented their own worst enemy. Oops.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Liu Kang: "Ah yep, gonna remake the realms, make sure everything is perfectly balanced. We got Earthrealm and Outworld, natch. Kitana needs a place to live so we gotta set up Edenia, and then we obviously have to have Netherworld to go with it. And who could forget Orderrealm? Yep, everything perfectly balanced, yin and yang, great job, Liu, you deserve a treat"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Diabetic posted:

Only one that comes to mind is Shao Khan who spent roughly 10,000 years ruling Edenia/Outworld with no issues.

Shao Khan being a colossal fuckup is the only reason he lost in MK9.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The terms of the mortal kombat tournament have always seemed pretty fair to me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Just saw the actual bio they put out, and it's funnier than this because they try to give him a political ideology.

Havik is an ally #MK1GoneWoke

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Havik would be perfect for some fight injury gore,his face getting ripped up and his arms showing bone and muscle.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Diabetic posted:

This makes me want to do a whole list of every MK character's biggest fuckup. I want to say Goro never really screwed up. He just lost fights. Probably his biggest offense is the MKX prequel comic, where he killed Kotal Kahn's dad as a way to piss Kotal off, figuring it would make him erratic and sloppy, only for Kotal to completely wreck Goro's poo poo and remove his arms.

Kuai-Liang Sub-Zero's biggest offense is, what, training a woman who was too power-hungry for her own good and self-destructed on herself?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

This makes me want to do a whole list of every MK character's biggest fuckup. I want to say Goro never really screwed up. He just lost fights. Probably his biggest offense is the MKX prequel comic, where he killed Kotal Kahn's dad as a way to piss Kotal off, figuring it would make him erratic and sloppy, only for Kotal to completely wreck Goro's poo poo and remove his arms.

Kuai-Liang Sub-Zero's biggest offense is, what, training a woman who was too power-hungry for her own good and self-destructed on herself?

Goro's biggest mistake was breaking Johnny Cage's sunglasses.

(Also I feel like arcade endings and such should also be viable choices for Biggest Fuckup.)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
That guy who fell off the cliff and went AHMASOGAAAAY!

https://youtu.be/JbsfJinaZWc

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

ImpAtom posted:

Goro's biggest mistake was breaking Johnny Cage's sunglasses.

(Also I feel like arcade endings and such should also be viable choices for Biggest Fuckup.)

Would Raiden's original ending be a Fuckup or a Good Idea? Because on one end, gods destroying the world. But on the other end, gods destroying the world.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I'm hoping Raiden also gave Liu Kang the God of loving Up power. Being the Titan of Time and God of Fuckups has amazing potential.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The only characters who aren't gently caress ups are the ones who take a look at that hourglass and go "nahhhhhhhhh".

Or dump it in the infinity ocean like Erron Black

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Point: The story of Mortal Kombat 11 was Kronika guiding time and erasing it any time it didn't go to her liking. In a very real way is refusing to acknowledge her screw-ups which just make her life worse until she is killed.

Counter-point: Johnny Cage's ultimate ending is him using the power to see his own mistakes and instead embrace the screw-ups he will make and learn how to become a better person from them*.

Now, which of these two lesson has Lui Kang embraced.

*= And also change a small number of things to ensure he has a happy ending. Because he's wise, not a Saint.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Question IRL posted:

Point: The story of Mortal Kombat 11 was Kronika guiding time and erasing it any time it didn't go to her liking. In a very real way is refusing to acknowledge her screw-ups which just make her life worse until she is killed.

Counter-point: Johnny Cage's ultimate ending is him using the power to see his own mistakes and instead embrace the screw-ups he will make and learn how to become a better person from them*.

Now, which of these two lesson has Lui Kang embraced.

*= And also change a small number of things to ensure he has a happy ending. Because he's wise, not a Saint.

All joking aside, I do not think that Liu Kang will be a secret villain in that he would be resetting every time things go terribly.

But I do think that he will be tempted to once things really start to go to poo poo. And I think there will be a story mode fight or two where someone (Raiden, for maximum irony) will need to try to stop him from turning out the lights and convince him give the world a fighting chance to exist.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

The only characters who aren't gently caress ups are the ones who take a look at that hourglass and go "nahhhhhhhhh".

Or dump it in the infinity ocean like Erron Black

I'm gonna miss Erron Black. He woulda ruled in the new timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

This makes me want to do a whole list of every MK character's biggest fuckup.

At the very least, here's every MK character's biggest fuckup from those who appeared in MK1-4.

Goro: Broke Johnny Cage’s glasses and killed Kotal Kahn’s dad, which both ended with him getting his rear end kicked harder than he would have.

Johnny Cage: Is just a total douche at times (most notably Young Johnny loudly bragging about how he was going to gently caress Sonya while Young Sonya, Cassandra, and the rest of the Special Forces were in earshot), but he at least learns from his mistakes.

Kano: Helped Sonya figure out how to kill him and his younger self. Gave Kabal superpowers despite Kabal being a police officer at the time. His MK3 ending where he tried stealing Shao Kahn’s souls despite having zero experience and died a horrible death from it.

Liu Kang: Has created a utopian timeline that, shockingly, does not seem to be holding together very well.

Raiden: Blew up the planet. Did a terrible job at relaying a message to his younger self. Got nearly everyone killed. Accidentally killed Liu Kang.

Reptile: Kept being a lackey for overlords who obviously didn’t intend to help him out in any way. Especially the guy who is MK’s version of Satan.

Scorpion: Spent years following the word of the trickster sorcerer who killed his family and clan. Was given good reason to not kill Sub-Zero, but did it anyway.

Shang Tsung: Tries using his morph powers when Baraka is nearby despite Baraka being able to smell the difference. Also Mileena’s MK9 ending where Shang programmed her to be so bloodthirsty that she’d kill Shao Kahn, not realizing that she’d obviously go after him next.

Sonya Blade: Trusted Kano for presumably years before realizing he was the head of the Black Dragon. Also was married to Johnny Cage and was somehow the one who hosed it all up.

Bi-Han Sub-Zero: Nearly caused the apocalypse. After fixing his screw-up, he was told that he would burn in Hell unless he left the Lin Kuei. Remained with the Lin Kuei anyway, then immediately died and went to Hell.

Baraka: Fumbled the ball on Mileena.

Jade: Succeeded in fooling the heroes in Annihilation, only to lure them into a trap that absolutely did not work. Was eaten by a bad CGI gargoyle for her failure.

Jax: Sided with Kronika due to the PTSD blues.

Kintaro: Is barely a character and never did anything of note other than fry Kabal alive.

Kitana: Refused to fully kill Shao Kahn when she had the chance.

Kung Lao: Was too busy celebrating to notice a giant barbarian king sneak up from behind him.

Mileena: Despite being half-Tarkatan, she literally can’t tell them apart and failed at killing Baraka because of it. Also, in attempting to take over Outworld, she teamed up with so many backstabbing characters.

Shao Kahn: Stepped over the line when it came to the rules of Mortal Kombat so blatantly that the Elder Gods had his soul destroyed.

Smoke: Stopped having beautiful anime hair.

Kuai-Liang Sub-Zero: Accidentally unleashed the Phantom Zone in his Injustice 2 ending. Probably the only guest character in an NRS game to have a bad ending.

Chameleon: Was never given any kind of identity.

Cyrax: Betrayed the Lin Kuei and decided to just handle that on his own. Not to mention the whole desert thing.

Ermac: Got lured into a trap that caused him to be chewed up by a returning Shang Tsung. Also is partially King Jerrod who... *gestures towards Sindel and Shao Kahn*

Kabal: Tricked by Kano into thinking that Sonya was going to be the one to turn him into MK Wade Wilson.

Khamelon: Couldn’t even convince Reptile to turn against Shao Kahn by telling him, “He literally genocided our people! Come on!”

Motaro: Lost a fight to Regular Jax in Annihilation. That’s just embarrassing.

Nightwolf: Made sure to send Freddy Krueger back into the Dream World, dooming so many teenagers.

Rain: Probably should have known better than get involved with Tanya.

Sektor: Willingly gave away his ability to eat Pringles.

Sheeva: Had a plan to ambush Shao Kahn that was built entirely on trusting Kano. That’s how they killed her off the first time around. Also, I imagine she probably pops out of that outfit like a dozen times a day.

Sindel: Saw Shang Tsung wearing a crown that made him strong enough to fight Titans and decided, “Yes, this guy is absolutely doing my bidding.” Plus the absolute worst line delivery in Annihilation.

Stryker: Somehow made Ron Perlman uncool.

Fujin: For somebody who seems to care a lot about humanity, he sure was absent a lot during times when we needed him.

Quan Chi: Tempted fate by using Scorpion as a henchman despite it being only a matter of time before he realized what Quan Chi did to his family and clan. It was a miracle Scorpion never outright asked him why his own killer was Quan Chi’s other enforcer.

Sareena: Probably should have told Sub-Zero about her true demon form so he didn’t suddenly freak out.

Shinnok: Spent the entirety of MK4 with Quan Chi holding the cards and had zero clue.

Jarek: Ran at Sonya at full speed while on a cliff.

Kai: Too boring to have screwed anything up.

Meat: Ruins all the sofas.

Reiko: Spends the MKX prequel comic trying to be the big villain, only to immediately get exploded by true villain Havik.

Tanya: Was once defeated by having Jade throw Tarkatan spunk onto her.