Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone have experience with virtualizing windows through parallels on different hardware configurations? I've been doing this for a while with a base M1 MBA but it really drags with even just outlook + a moderately large excel sheet (and adding teams makes it much worse). Ideally I'd like to run even more resource intensive software like power BI too. I know the ram is a limiting factor here but I would like to get a sense of how much performance I'd really gain by bumping up to one of the 14" MBP models before I go through the trouble of buying one and moving everything over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I briefly was running Parallels on the base Mac Studio M1 Ultra (20 CPU 48 GPU), with 10 CPU and like 16 GPU set for Parallels to use.

Performance in standard Microsoft-supplied apps was fine, even when it wasn't native to Windows 11 ARM. I also use apps such as WaterGems, Ansys, and Simflow but had some challenges there, I think largely due to having to be emulated in Windows 11 ARM itself.

Overall if I hadn't had a few hiccups with those apps, I'd have just kept the Studio, and probably in the future at some point I"ll try it again.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I use windows via parallels on my studio - the top end M1 Max 32gb of ram - and it’s always performed well. I only use it for gaming though.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I have an i7 2015 macbook pro suddenly collecting dust. Besides selling it for pennies (the screen looks like poo poo, the battery only last like 2 hours max, the down arrow key is fubar), can I do anything cool with it? Like a pihole, back-up server, nas?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Head Bee Guy posted:

I have an i7 2015 macbook pro suddenly collecting dust. Besides selling it for pennies (the screen looks like poo poo, the battery only last like 2 hours max, the down arrow key is fubar), can I do anything cool with it? Like a pihole, back-up server, nas?

Any or all of those things, yes. It'd probably be worth installing a lightweight Linux distro to simplify implementation and have access to more documentation versus running it all on macOS, but an i7 anything will leapfrog a Pi. Ethernet would probably help.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

Yeah that’s what this dude did and he seemed happy with it.

https://youtu.be/ipJceL253Fo

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Are any retailers still selling discounted base model 14" M1 MBPs (~$15xx) or has the stock all be cleared out? OOS on both BestBuy and Costco and the refurb store doesn't have any right now either.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Splinter posted:

Are any retailers still selling discounted base model 14" M1 MBPs (~$15xx) or has the stock all be cleared out? OOS on both BestBuy and Costco and the refurb store doesn't have any right now either.

Woot had the 16 inch for 1499 not long ago. It was an Apple refurb.

Actually $1399 now

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Splinter posted:

MacRumors had a bunch of listings from retailers earlier this week

Edit: https://www.macrumors.com/2023/08/02/deals-2021-2023-macbook-pro/

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 4, 2023

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Thank you guys

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do new Macs still come with the main drive volume named 'Macintosh HD'?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Shaocaholica posted:

Do new Macs still come with the main drive volume named 'Macintosh HD'?

Yup

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I think the last Mac I bought new in box was this:

Mar 5, 2009

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Good news costco has the same mac mini sized device with 389.19% more compute at a roughly similar price (factoring in inflation). You will, however, have to buy a dvi to hdmi adapter.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I’m looking forward to when the M4 comes out; then I can pick up a M4 Mac Studio and call it my “M4 Cube”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The touchbar soldiers on, lmao

The Hiroo Onoda of Apple

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

SourKraut posted:

I’m looking forward to when the M4 comes out; then I can pick up a M4 Mac Studio and call it my “M4 Cube”

I know there's lots of reasons why this probably won't happen while Tim Cook the supply chain guy runs Apple, but I do really wish they went for radical redesigns with the Mac mini/Mac studio more often. It used to be such an event to see this cool new design piece looking thing on someone's desk like every couple of years. Those new iMacs look lovely but I just haven't seen them around as much. But I suppose if both the iMac and the macbook have had a redesign (and I think the new macbook air looks really, really nice), maybe the little silver boxes are up next?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The mini is a funny one — just last summer I replaced my parents' one from 2012 with a brand-new one, and while I transferred the data from one to the other I had them stacked on top of each other, and aside from some port arrangement they're basically identical.

Here's to another 10 years, gently caress it

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I mean they’re such a classic stylish design, it would be hard to beat.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
They are the best mini form factor because they still have an integrated power supply, unlike every other mini computer which uses a power brick

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
I just got my new 15" MacBook Air, and what a machine!

It's replacing my ancient 2013 MacBook Pro, and I'm still amazed it lasted as long as it did and was still somewhat useable right up to the end.

At home I have a Dell USB-C hub, that work gave me, hooked up to a monitor and various other stuff. I've used it with several different windows laptops, but it doesn't seem to work with my new Mac.

When I plug it in, it charges and there is a pop-up that asks permission for a USB hub to access it, but it never sees the monitor or anything else plugged into the hub.

I would have thought these hubs where a fairly standard thing, but maybe not?

Do I need a diffrent hub, or are there any troubleshooting I can do?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Data Graham posted:

The mini is a funny one — just last summer I replaced my parents' one from 2012 with a brand-new one, and while I transferred the data from one to the other I had them stacked on top of each other, and aside from some port arrangement they're basically identical.

Here's to another 10 years, gently caress it

Apparently the boards inside the M series minis are like half the size of the old ones. So Apple could definitely shrink those computers down if they wanted to although there is something comfortable about the current form factor, and it's not as if they take up loads of space anyway.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/18/m1-mac-mini-teardown-why-isnt-it-smaller/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

Apparently the boards inside the M series minis are like half the size of the old ones. So Apple could definitely shrink those computers down if they wanted to although there is something comfortable about the current form factor, and it's not as if they take up loads of space anyway.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/18/m1-mac-mini-teardown-why-isnt-it-smaller/

ngl when the m1 minis came out i was hoping for something closer to an apple tv

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If I didn't need a laptop for IT-related work on the go, I'd definitely pick up a Mac Mini + iPad Pro instead of a MacBook Pro - If you need to get any real work done, you can always could just VNC into the Mac Mini and carry around a keyboard and mouse for the iPad Pro. I know the iPad Pro isn't a true laptop replacement, but it gets the job done for most users.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

I know there's lots of reasons why this probably won't happen while Tim Cook the supply chain guy runs Apple, but I do really wish they went for radical redesigns with the Mac mini/Mac studio more often. It used to be such an event to see this cool new design piece looking thing on someone's desk like every couple of years. Those new iMacs look lovely but I just haven't seen them around as much. But I suppose if both the iMac and the macbook have had a redesign (and I think the new macbook air looks really, really nice), maybe the little silver boxes are up next?

Yeah, I really missed the old reveals and being excited to see what Apple had come up with.

The iMac is especially strange because yeah, it seemed to be everywhere and since they redesigned it and switched it to ASi, it seems like it has become mostly an afterthought to Apple?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The iMac was a great value because of how good the display panel was in its day, Tim doesn’t want to upgrade the panel because $$$

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I really missed the old reveals and being excited to see what Apple had come up with.

The iMac is especially strange because yeah, it seemed to be everywhere and since they redesigned it and switched it to ASi, it seems like it has become mostly an afterthought to Apple?

i'm not sure how you can say it's an afterthought after they completely re-engineered the entire computer and all of its accessories and it came out literally two years ago

you don't need to upgrade an imac every year

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Wild EEPROM posted:

They are the best mini form factor because they still have an integrated power supply, unlike every other mini computer which uses a power brick

i keep buying 2012-2015 minis cheap off fb marketplace for exactly this reason. they stack nicely with a 3d printed spacer and because they have an internal power supply they take up less space overall than like an hp deskelite or whatever

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

mediaphage posted:

i'm not sure how you can say it's an afterthought after they completely re-engineered the entire computer and all of its accessories and it came out literally two years ago

you don't need to upgrade an imac every year

I say that because they abandoned the 27” size, which by all accounts was the most popular in the lineup, in favor of the new 24” iMac. Since then, it’s seen no updates, and there’s been limited rumor traffic related to it or the potentially larger size iMac that might be years down the road.

You’re absolutely right, an individual person doesn’t need to upgrade every year; but Apple has been generally upgrading its Apple Silicon-based systems in a 12-15 month cycle, and the iMac is the exception to that. Even the Mac mini, which would go several years without updates, is basically now on a 12-month update cycle.

After-thought was maybe too strong of a word, but it definitely seems as if it doesn’t necessarily have the same level of importance that it once did.

Edit: I forgot to say, but I think Apple absolutely wanted to hit a home run with the re-designed 24”, and maybe they’ve been content with the sales, etc; it just seems that we’re been seeing a lot of heavy discounts at various retailers over the last several+ months, which makes me wonder if it’s seeing poor sales. If that’s the case, it could explain why Apple has cooled to updating it at the same rate as other ASi Macs.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 8, 2023

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Another thing that goes into the mini form factor is its what enterprises and clouds buy to offer macOS build services. There are many many racks out there built for that exact form factor to make build farms for iOS and macOS developers. Change the form factor and those places can’t just upgrade and slot in 3000 new minis, they need to literally rearchitect their data center.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SourKraut posted:

I say that because they abandoned the 27” size, which by all accounts was the most popular in the lineup, in favor of the new 24” iMac. Since then, it’s seen no updates, and there’s been limited rumor traffic related to it or the potentially larger size iMac that might be years down the road.

You’re absolutely right, an individual person doesn’t need to upgrade every year; but Apple has been generally upgrading its Apple Silicon-based systems in a 12-15 month cycle, and the iMac is the exception to that. Even the Mac mini, which would go several years without updates, is basically now on a 12-month update cycle.

After-thought was maybe too strong of a word, but it definitely seems as if it doesn’t necessarily have the same level of importance that it once did.

tbh i think the 24-inch imac gets as much or more care from apple than the 21-inch imac did and for the time being they replaced the larger model with the studio and display

i still expect the imac big to come back as the imac pro at some point

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If they don’t come out with a bigger m3 iMac then I’ll simply be forced to buy a Mini and a crappy monitor.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

If they don’t come out with a bigger m3 iMac then I’ll simply be forced to buy a Mini and a $3500 Pro Display XDR :newlol:.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

American McGay posted:

If they don’t come out with a bigger m3 iMac then I’ll simply be forced to buy a Mini and a crappy monitor.

lots of good monitors these days

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

27"-32" OLED Monitors are right around the corner for under under $1300

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
5k supremacy! The studio monitor + mac mini combo isn’t much more expensive than the old Intel iMacs. With inflation being what it is, they might even be technically cheaper.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Corb3t posted:

27"-32" OLED Monitors are right around the corner for under under $1300

I paid $600 for my 42LG and its fuckin fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

American McGay posted:

Where do you think they plan to get the screen from for the rumored 32” iMac? :haw: