Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean, I guess the arc of the week is supposed to be "Dustin owns those tattoo people", but badmouthing the customer base five minutes in the door actually does for a change characterize him as the perennial fuckup he's supposed to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

This is a rerun.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

This is a rerun.

ACAB
All Cops are bedheads

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 24, 1958)

That was fast!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ahahaha

nevermore shall I make use of you, wicked blade, I cast you away into the ocean, oh gently caress here they come, baby I didn't mean it we are meant for each other

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao not even one comic.

ITS TIME FOR BLOODSHED AGAIN

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Oh Val. :allears:

My Lovely Horse posted:

I mean, I guess the arc of the week is supposed to be "Dustin owns those tattoo people", but badmouthing the customer base five minutes in the door actually does for a change characterize him as the perennial fuckup he's supposed to be

Aside from the author being who he is, Dustin was raised by Ed, thinks fondly of him and already shares many of his habits such as a love of golf. And those abused tend to abuse.

What I'm trying to say is Dustin is fated to eventually transform into a horrible boomer so look forward to a week of owning tattoo havers.

I'm gonna call 50/50 odds that a nice girl with tattoos shows interest in Dustin and he's portrayed as uncannily wise for dodging her. Assuming Kelley doesn't lose interest in this premise in a day.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Aug 8, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 24, 1958)

That was fast!

Bitches keep loving around, bitches keep finding out. It's a vicious cycle.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I, uh, need to know what the tune is.

Also, re. Val and the sword, I'm reminded somewhat of Bedivere throwing Excalibur into the lake after the death of Arthur.

Or rather, I WOULD have been reminded of it, if it weren't for the immediate comic afterwards.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Samovar posted:

I, uh, need to know what the tune is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OZrNDtRltg

I would assume.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm actually surprised Dustin shows the integrity of the tattoo parlor.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I honestly though Into Ilves happened in the 1800s

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Is stealing really wrong? I mean, it's not my stuff being stolen, so who is to say :shrug:"
I hope you fall off that branch into a big pile of dogshit.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hippocrass posted:

Bitches keep loving around, bitches keep finding out. It's a vicious cycle.

BFA BFO

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/7/03

Well, the dog's not named "Laddie," is it?

Brenda Starr 6/18-20/51

"It makes me young blood gurgle," thought no one ever.

Smokey Stover 2/12/56

Everyday Movies 8/28/36

"I haven't worked for him long enough to know what he's like. Just because he has those pictures of his wife and kids on his desk, that doesn't mean a thing."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/15-17/41

First panel: Dear Prudence -- I have been seriously ill for two years. During that time I have followed your wonderful column -- Now I am in love with a wonderful person. You can help me. I am at this hospital where a beautiful nurse showered her attentions upon me under doctor's orders. But now I learn she doesn't really love me. You can help. Won't you fix it so she'll marry me. -- T. Harley Tiddle

Fourth panel: Dear Prudence -- I have been seriously ill for two years. During that time I have followed your wonderful column -- Now I am in love with a wonderful person -- You. I am at this hospital where a beautiful nurse showered her attentions upon me. But I really love you. Won't you marry me. -- T. Harley Tiddle

I was a bit puzzled at first because I thought Wite-Out and similar substances were '60s inventions, but apparently starting in the '30s they had chemical "ink eradicators" that could break down ink and make it disappear.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"Is stealing really wrong? I mean, it's not my stuff being stolen, so who is to say :shrug:"

The rich should keep their billions. I'm sure they've earned it fair and square. Well, back to the alley for a nap.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Selachian posted:

I was a bit puzzled at first because I thought Wite-Out and similar substances were '60s inventions, but apparently starting in the '30s they had chemical "ink eradicators" that could break down ink and make it disappear.

In Scarlet O'Neil's World you probably buy Ink Eradicator at the same store as Fattening Pills

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Val sowing: Begone foul blade who makes me insane with violence!

Val reaping: Oh poo poo baby I need some violent insanity, come back!

FOUR panels without his sword and he comes swimming back like a crack addict.

A crack addict for violence.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Besides the sword itself approved Val's slaughter. That's how the singing sword works - if you win, your cause was a just one.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They might steal his magical necklace of chain cutting.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ah, they went all the way up to the Blue Ridge Mountains and saw Unto These Hills

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

The original didn't have a store name, and certainly not Crate & Barrel. Instead it relied on the pun that in Finnish the word for a crate (as in crate of beer) is the same as a term for the car's body -- "kori". The store was just called "korityöt", bodyworks, which can mean a car repair place where thy specialize in fixing body problems, but also euphemistically mean drinking an entire 24 bottle crate of beer.

And the beer wasn't 12% beer either, but instead III Beer. In Finland our beers were traditionally categorised according to their alcohol content as either "I Beer" (very low alcohol content) or "III Beer" (4,5 vol). I suppose "II Beer" also exists but I'm not sure I've ever seen it.

And back in those days when we were a semi-Soviet state, there really wasn't much need to differentiate things any more, because we basically had a couple of national beer brands and they were both lagers. These days there's a lot more choice and granularity.

Only kind of related to this, but it was what I thought when I saw your comic.

In Slovakia, beer strength is measured/labeled by it's specific gravity on a Plato scale. Light beers are usually 8% to 10% would be somewhere around 4.5ABV. This really confused me when I was over there and found their 12-16% beers to be much weaker than I expected.

I asked my host what the percentages meant and he said "10% is what you drink when you are at work. 12% is what you drink when you get home. 14% is what you drink when you go out with friends."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You're angry at a 9-yo in pajamas.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

9-yos in pajamas loving suck

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

Val: Lord forgive me but it's time to go back to ye olde me

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 21, 1935)

Peanuts (August 10, 1976, which is eleven years after The Gospel According To Peanuts.)

Crankshaft gives us "ohnononononononooooooo"...

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire: Ka-RERUNS!

Thimble Theater (March 12, 1940)

I've often wondered why Olive & Popeye is about three times as large as a regular four panel strip. Today I got an indirect answer. Oh boy, did I ever.

Out Our Way (July 2-4, 1942)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 8, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus those closeup head shots in Popeye are just not great. Those soulless eyes.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think we're hitting the point where new Popeye strips have gone from expanding the B cast to being entirely about the B cast who are all pretty generic, especially compared to the weird mutant sailor we like.

Also words words words words words.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

EasyEW posted:

I've often wondered why Olive & Popeye is about three times as large as a regular four panel strip. Today I got an indirect answer. Oh boy, did I ever.

Jesus Christ shut the gently caress up and let the sailor guy punch another sailor guy I hate this so much.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Crankshaft is a flasher

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Gifted Kid Burnout Comix

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I went to the doctor a couple years ago and they told me to put on a gown and when I did I did it open in the back like I thought you were supposed to but it turns out the redesigned the gowns so you don’t do that anymore. It’s more like a robe.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hostile V posted:

Gifted Kid Burnout Comix

Yeah, no poo poo she wants to play the deathsport she was recruited to play. Somehow this is being shallow.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cowslips Warren posted:

I suspect a watery tart -just out of frame - was involved

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits