Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Hearing La Marseillaise and seeing Herve Renaud and I'm suddenly craving a baguette and cigarettes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

a real chump posted:

Hearing Le Marseilles and seeing Herve Renaud and I'm suddenly craving a baguette and cigarettes

Don't forget a coffee

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

a real chump posted:

Hearing La Marseillaise and seeing Herve Renaud and I'm suddenly craving a baguette and cigarettes

Cant find the qatar gif of the french guys in the stands just crunching on a baguette

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Here's the non-GIF version

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Warra goal

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Strike one for the colonisers

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Morocco will have wanted a defender on.the player in the 6 yard box

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Great goal with lovely passing, but the markers all completely switched off there

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Their keeper is coming out too much now which looks like it's going to end badly

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Tasty goal that one

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:nice:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

gently caress that’s a great goal

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
RIP

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Phwoar.

France looking annoyingly like tournament winners here

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Oh dear

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Today I feel French

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
What was that thing they were talking about early on in the tournament, 'mercy time'? Might want to put that into effect now I reckon.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
They aren't loving around with the finishes either.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
FREED FROM DESIRE

MIND AND SENSES PURIFIED

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Every tiny mistake just brutally punished

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

gently caress that was brutal

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Rip

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Renard has fuelled this team with the essence of coffee, cigarettes and mistresses

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
If France could get about 7-8 red cards that would be sick imo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Haven't seen a French beating of Morocco like this since the early 1900s

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

a real chump posted:

If France could get about 7-8 red cards that would be sick imo

Only because the match would have to be abandoned

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
France look somewhat better than Morocco

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fully sick

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Le Scorer

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Probably time to sub some people off idk

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/alozieee/status/1688770430436278272?s=20

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

lol @ the ref's "i'm not angry, just disappointed" face

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Moroc-go

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Imagine this in the men's game, lmao

https://twitter.com/Ladi_K/status/1688864869162831872?t=MXkFqo1wFt43lMMXj8aOFg&s=19

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

wtf are those replies

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Chairchucker posted:

wtf are those replies

Look at this fool who actually reads the replies

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

The kind of mental fortitude you have to have as an athlete to laugh at yourself - incredible. Though I suppose if your job is literally fighting cancer, sports are somewhat put in perspective.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

gone, do you have a mirror

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Megamissen posted:

gone, do you have a mirror

Reddit does!

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/com...nt=share_button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

Read the article I posted on the previous page.

So, reading the article again, here's what I can pick up:

• Improvement from the players and coaches, with tactics being noted as a specific area of attention:
    "They did not [prevail at the World Cup], to no one’s surprise, and they will not going forward – not without tangible improvements from the players."
    "The real reason the Americans failed at the 2023 World Cup was their tactical inferiority and inability to solve problems during games. Those underscore failings with both the coaching and the player pool, and neither of those challenges are unique to this World Cup."
  • Establish a clear identity for the team:
    "USA head coach Vlatko Andonovski has failed to establish a clear identity for the team since taking over in 2019[...]."
  • Changing the established High school and College player development pathway:
    "More countries are developing players from young ages, unrestricted by the college system that exists in the United States."
    "[... Spain have] adopted the men’s system, where the best teenagers are developed within a professional environment."
    "[...M]ost [US] players go through the amateur college system – which varies widely in quality – before turning professional."
    "Youth academies and reserve leagues have been talked about [in the US] for years without action [...]."
    "The college system that has long served as the development pipeline to the national team is being blown up in real time at the hands of men’s college football and greed, and teams from Europe to Mexico are offering pay and opportunities to attract top teenage players."

These sound like clear issues, but what are potential solutions?

Establishing a reserve league / feeder team system to the NWSL, despite the article mentioning that the NWSL is already losing some of their best players to foreign clubs with more money? And how would this work when Title IX is cited by the article as a significant source of funding and a key element for pase successes of the USWNT? Wouldn't this further dilute the talent pool across more teams? Isn't this the principle behind Generation Addidas on the men's soccer side, and has that been a success?

Creating an "identity" to the team sounds somewhat meaningless when the article mentions multiple times the existing identity "grit and hard work", and honestly do other teams (at this world cup or more generally in international football) have a consistent "identity"? One that's spread through all junior teams in the country? Or is it something that coalesces at the highest level based on the players available, their skills and tactics they are familiar with at club level?

Improving players and coaches... Well yes, but how? Longer national team call-ups? Coach training and qualification requirements to coach at NWSL and NCAA level? Forcing men's and women's teams to work more closely together to share resources?