Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Oh, so that's how elon hurt his neck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

zedprime posted:

We coevolved with the sun since before we were even human and have amazing processes that control and arrest UV catalyzed radical propagation before they reach critical proteins or DNA and have amazing DNA error handling in case it does but I'm still going to put on sun screen. Heating proteins and fats until they scream and turn into nitrosamines and unsaturated/aromatic hydrocarbons are sometimes foods.

I don't practice nearly what I preach here but I do enjoy putting what we know on the table to help determine what needs to be sometimes-behaviors. You will probably live a full life even if you roast redmeat on a cast iron pan over a smokey fire, shirtless at noon smoking a cigarette and let the leftovers sit in the fridge for 2 weeks before you finish them off. But what if you don't?
Sunscreen is just a big bottle of aromatic probable carcinogens.

The problem with weird opinions about avoiding incredibly low-risk chemicals is that you really just can't have consistent principles, because pretty much every single thing you come into contact with is in that incredibly low-risk category.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't come into contact with anything known to cause cancer by the state of California

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

This kills the creek.

... and apropos of that ...

We had a permit review that the EPA was hassling us about for some wetland impacts due to design of a new roadway (usually handled by the US Army Corps, or locally or at the state level, rare for EPA to get involved).

We went to EPA's local district HQ and gave them a big presentation about how the impacts would be minimized, etc...

And then at the end while we were standing around chatting one of their guys said, "You know while we were doing this we have permits we need to be working on for companies blowing up mountaintops and dumping the fill into high quality streams." Well, tell your colleague not to nitpick our highway projects then, fucko. I think their boss made the same comment to the reviewers and they stopped making comments on our project.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Cast irons good for that since the seasoning isnt a forever chemical and the pan itself will last for generations even if badly taken care of. Carbon and stainless too.
The answer to most issues just becomes clean, strip and reseason.

If youre addicted to buying new pans there are ceramic coatings. However do mind that a lot of things that sell as stone/granite are just ptfe with stone chips/dust.

Good quality enameled cast iron can last for years and years too, if you take care of it. No metal utensils, etc. - it's much stronger than teflon but it will still chip if you abuse it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RDM posted:

Sunscreen is just a big bottle of aromatic probable carcinogens.

The problem with weird opinions about avoiding incredibly low-risk chemicals is that you really just can't have consistent principles, because pretty much every single thing you come into contact with is in that incredibly low-risk category.
Mineral bay-bee

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just noticed his hair is tied up in a lil bun

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

haveblue posted:

I don't come into contact with anything known to cause cancer by the state of California

What’s it like living in the cold vacuum of the void

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

haveblue posted:

I think that requires not coming into contact with the state of California.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

I think that requires not coming into contact with the state of California.

it does seem that way sometimes

⚠ WARNING: This post can expose you to content which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

:lol:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Back when I worked on cars I always called used motor oil "cancer juice", it was a constant reminder to wash that poo poo off as quickly as possible disguised as a running joke

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

History Comes Inside! posted:

What’s it like living in the cold vacuum of the void

Pretty safe from cancer, except for all that pesky radiation

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Exposed rotating shafts must be guarded

I'm inagining a nervous-looking man in fatigues keeping a submachinegun levelled at a PTO.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
OSHA caterpillar

Saddleback Caterpillar

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

OSHA caterpillar

Saddleback Caterpillar

Aw...that's a pretty boring moth for such a little buzzsaw tank of a caterpillar :/

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

New OSHA Mascot, the PARTYMAN

https://i.imgur.com/n7iwgeX.mp4

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 8, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hehe. Clowns.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

zedprime posted:

You will probably live a full life even if you roast redmeat on a cast iron pan over a smokey fire, shirtless at noon smoking a cigarette and let the leftovers sit in the fridge for 2 weeks before you finish them off. But what if you don't?

Don't doxx me.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssH9o32CZtg

(hopefully not a repost from this thread)

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

OSHA caterpillar

Saddleback Caterpillar

Holy poo poo I just ran into one of those Saturday night. Felt like my leg was on fire/being stabbed

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Genuine lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sentient Data posted:

Oh, so that's how elon hurt his neck

Incorrect, he was trying to suck his own dick.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

I heard the music in my head

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
when you act without thinking

:nms: a guy tests how sharp a knife is by stabbing himself https://i.imgur.com/1DGvgxB.mp4

Mod Edit: added tags and description. KC

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 9, 2023

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
What am I gonna do, Stab me?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Would this man also jump off a building if he found himself standing at the edge of it?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Sometimes the intrusive thought wins I guess

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So...

Saw a graphic video regarding the importance of safety around Helos.

Decided not to post the vid cause it's straight up death.

But I will post an article about it.

Proceed and click with caution, but basically, as ER taught us: helicopters lust for blood.

https://jalopnik.com/british-tourist-killed-by-helicopter-rotor-while-trying-1849333748

(Also, this thread moves fast at times, so forgive me if this was already posted)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Bananana posted:

So...

Proceed and click with caution, but basically, as ER taught us: helicopters lust for blood.

https://jalopnik.com/british-tourist-killed-by-helicopter-rotor-while-trying-1849333748

(Also, this thread moves fast at times, so forgive me if this was already posted)

More recently:

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/man-dies-after-being-hit-by-blades-of-chopper-in-uttarakhands-kedarnath-3972327

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Chop chop goes the chopper.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
someone got the crane load/unload modification

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

haveblue posted:

:dafuq:

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

The Bananana posted:

So...

I'm going to go with my better judgement and not seek the video out, but I have to know: did he back into it while holding his phone up for a selfie?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/b0MIPKi.mp4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BrianRx posted:

I'm going to go with my better judgement and not seek the video out, but I have to know: did he back into it while holding his phone up for a selfie?

According to a followup story, his companions all deny this, but they also don't have a better explanation for why he was walking around that area

:negative:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this video has some unnecessarily stressful music, but also some people who are very skilled at very specific jobs
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rz2qatN5Gf1uk10e9.mp4

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

hanging out at the heliport, waving to the people as they step off the copters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/dTK6l7z.mp4

is it me or are those tiles coming off a little easier than is comfortable?