Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

I don't think Midwinter is concerned with tutorials anymore, usually when a Hobby YouTuber gets long in the tooth they start to deviate.

Like how Squidmar used to teach stuff when he first started and what he does now I don't even know. Ad skits?

Being a mini painting content creator right now must be weird. Most of the questions people seem to ask them are things along the lines of "how do I blend" or "how do I paint NMM", when dozens of great videos on these topics already exist, and if you've been at it for more than few months you've already made your own. I guess it's all about being a personality/cultivating that parasocial relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Electric Hobo posted:

I might be living under a rock, but I have no idea what Skibidi is. I could google it, but I'll go to sleep instead.
G-mod youtube videos for a new generation

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Electric Hobo posted:

I might be living under a rock, but I have no idea what Skibidi is. I could google it, but I'll go to sleep instead.

A series of YouTube videos depicting a surprisingly violent conflict between heads in toilets (skibidi toilets) and men with cameras and televisions for heads (camera men).

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Moon Monster posted:

Being a mini painting content creator right now must be weird. Most of the questions people seem to ask them are things along the lines of "how do I blend" or "how do I paint NMM", when dozens of great videos on these topics already exist, and if you've been at it for more than few months you've already made your own. I guess it's all about being a personality/cultivating that parasocial relationship.

Keep in mind those people are likely very new to painting, and new painters tend to interpret painting techniques as strict recipes to follow, where deviation means failure, and they don't have a broad enough knowledge base yet to be able to riff on techniques. Like how citadel teaches their base -> wash -> layer -> highlight techniques as recipes with specific paints, and new painters often walk away from that with the idea that they are strict recipes to follow, not understanding you can mix your own colours on the fly.

Also whose NMN or blending videos do you watch and listen to? There are heaps of them, some of them are quite old, maybe the creator would do things differently now? They also might just want to know how this person executes those techniques, because they like the style of the presenter and how how they teach, or they want something that they feel will be consistent with what they're learning now.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The Moon Monster posted:

The problem comes when they try to make a living off of it
As soon as your income relies on how many people view/subscribe/"hit that bell icon" it's no longer about making useful content it's about making the kind of content that the algorithm will get eyes on, and that means doing stupid poo poo and having an obnoxious on-screen persona.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

The problem comes when they try to make a living off of it
As soon as your income relies on how many people view/subscribe/"hit that bell icon" it's no longer about making useful content it's about making the kind of content that the algorithm will get eyes on, and that means doing stupid poo poo and having an obnoxious on-screen persona.

I've been making videos about building my live steam large scale railway locomotive for about a year with a core group of viewers and not much growth, but a recent video went (proportionally) viral with 30k+ views within a week or so and I definitely felt this bizarre urge to cater to that feedback loop. I imagine it's easily done, moreso if you hit on something that grabs people's attention and then it's just a vicious cycle of who can be the most attention grabbing, the most extreme, the most ridicolous.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

I've been making videos about building my live steam large scale railway locomotive for about a year with a core group of viewers and not much growth, but a recent video went (proportionally) viral with 30k+ views within a week or so and I definitely felt this bizarre urge to cater to that feedback loop. I imagine it's easily done, moreso if you hit on something that grabs people's attention and then it's just a vicious cycle of who can be the most attention grabbing, the most extreme, the most ridicolous.

Make sure you have a thumbnail with obnoxious capitalisation and your best "having a terminal stroke/suffering from severe developmental delays" face on it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yes, combined with the current flame: when various contrast paint ranges appeared, or the zenithal/slapchop thing, blanchitsu, Leviathan-related content, etc. - it's all just so tiring. I think my pet hate is something like 'THEY didn't want you to know THIS!', or 'SECRET method for BEST paintjobs' - it's maddening.

I actually enjoyed MWM's stuff because he just used normal paint names (i.e. 'warm red', not 'soulblood hexwraith incarmine') and showed his progression of highlights typically adding white or yellow to the colours. His paintjobs were achievable and the result nice, and his audio and visual quality was pretty good too. It's the natural cycle of things like this to fall apart, though!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

Yes, combined with the current flame: when various contrast paint ranges appeared, or the zenithal/slapchop thing, blanchitsu, Leviathan-related content, etc. - it's all just so tiring. I think my pet hate is something like 'THEY didn't want you to know THIS!', or 'SECRET method for BEST paintjobs' - it's maddening.

I actually enjoyed MWM's stuff because he just used normal paint names (i.e. 'warm red', not 'soulblood hexwraith incarmine') and showed his progression of highlights typically adding white or yellow to the colours. His paintjobs were achievable and the result nice, and his audio and visual quality was pretty good too. It's the natural cycle of things like this to fall apart, though!

To be fair to MWM he did have some great content to start but as the years went by it started to get very samey. He's not good enough to just sit there and deliver a lecture on best painting practices like Vince and there's only so many simple painting hacks you can do before it all melds together like youtube diarrhoea.

Other great seizure/stroke face havers - EonsOfBattle, Mediocre Painting (how apt) and Luke APS.

I don't understand why Miscast felt an urgent need to put his face on the screen either. If your video is 80% you talking to the screen and 20% actually painting/building, you should maybe just do a podcast.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Southern Heel posted:

Whoever coined "slapchop" should be banished from the internet.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The joke is that it's supposed to be a dumb name

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Crackbone posted:

Whoever coined "slapchop" should be banished from the internet.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if they wanted to have an obnoxious name it would have been better to shorten en grisaille down to grizzy

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

if they wanted to have an obnoxious name it would have been better to shorten en grisaille down to grizzy

Engrish is right there.

Wasn't the whole viral slapchop thing a marketing gimmick by Army Painter anyway. Guy who coined the term was a paid shill?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Uhhh no? He was just a lazy dude who didn't like painting and preferred going to tournaments

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Z the IVth posted:

To be fair to MWM he did have some great content to start but as the years went by it started to get very samey. He's not good enough to just sit there and deliver a lecture on best painting practices like Vince and there's only so many simple painting hacks you can do before it all melds together like youtube diarrhoea.

Other great seizure/stroke face havers - EonsOfBattle, Mediocre Painting (how apt) and Luke APS.

I don't understand why Miscast felt an urgent need to put his face on the screen either. If your video is 80% you talking to the screen and 20% actually painting/building, you should maybe just do a podcast.

Putting a human face in the thumbnail gets poo poo loads more clicks than not.

At the moment youtube rewards viewer retention, not good videos, so make that dopamine flow with ~editing~ to keep the viewer from drifting away.

Z the IVth posted:

Engrish is right there.

Wasn't the whole viral slapchop thing a marketing gimmick by Army Painter anyway. Guy who coined the term was a paid shill?

No.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Spanish Manlove posted:

The joke is that it's supposed to be a dumb name

I understand, that doesn't make me think it's funny.

At least that makes sense for the product name!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Crackbone posted:

I understand, that doesn't make me think it's funny.

At least that makes sense for the product name!

It's not supposed to be funny

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Eediot Jedi posted:

Putting a human face in the thumbnail gets poo poo loads more clicks than not.

At the moment youtube rewards viewer retention, not good videos, so make that dopamine flow with ~editing~ to keep the viewer from drifting away.

No.

Yup, I once saw a video of a youtuber who went in depth on it and showed the numbers. Having a face with an exaggerated expreasion in the thumbnail makes enough of a difference that not doing it is effectively leaving (a lot of) money on the table. Veritasium also has a video explaining how much of a difference different titles and thumbnails can make.

It sucks but it's just the way it is, unfortunately. Then again how much of a bother is it really?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Taeke posted:

Yup, I once saw a video of a youtuber who went in depth on it and showed the numbers. Having a face with an exaggerated expreasion in the thumbnail makes enough of a difference that not doing it is effectively leaving (a lot of) money on the table. Veritasium also has a video explaining how much of a difference different titles and thumbnails can make.

It sucks but it's just the way it is, unfortunately. Then again how much of a bother is it really?

It repels me and makes me feel bad about how I spend my time

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

Would it be generalisable across all genres of videos though? There are plenty of successful painting and craft channels that don't resort to having an intellectually impaired face on the thumbnails.

I would imagine it makes a lot of sense for outrage or reaction videos, but tutorial videos?

Taeke posted:

I do find it helpful because it's an auto-block for me. Now if only I could block these idiots from my search results rather than having to wait for them to pop up on the main page.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Z the IVth posted:

Would it be generalisable across all genres of videos though? There are plenty of successful painting and craft channels that don't resort to having an intellectually impaired face on the thumbnails.

I would imagine it makes a lot of sense for outrage or reaction videos, but tutorial videos?

I do find it helpful because it's an auto-block for me. Now if only I could block these idiots from my search results rather than having to wait for them to pop up on the main page.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's supposedly universal, because the people tracking those metrics closely are the people who are making their living from it, they are in turn the biggest accounts, and the feedback loop is real.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Z the IVth posted:

You are not the target audience, they are not catering to you.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Taeke posted:

I used to work for a mobile game company, and they would do extensive user testing on their game icons. The ones that always got the best responses were the icons that were close ups of a character's face yelling. Didn't matter what type of game it was or what the IP was, so all our games had these stupid loving icons of a random character from the game with their mouth open.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

It's supposedly universal, because the people tracking those metrics closely are the people who are making their living from it, they are in turn the biggest accounts, and the feedback loop is real.

I do wonder about bias which will be inherent in any attempt to track the metrics since the channels that would do it (and publish their findings) are a particular "type" of channel in of themselves. They make up a majority of the content but their results may not generalise into the more niche audiences. Has any hobby youtuber come out to say it applies to them as well?

I wonder how closely the average content creator looks at or understands their metrics despite making their living off them. Most people can't even understand progressive tax so I am sceptical Joe Minipainter is actively gaming the algorithm vs just following "youtuber best practices" as he's learned via another video. It may have some effect but it's not an evidence based decision.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a whole industry thread for discussing this crap, guys. This is the only thread for

Screaming Idiot posted:

a Tyranid with titties

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That poor woman is stuck in a horse collar.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's not supposed to be funny

Not sure what dog you have in this fight, just let me hate the stupid name.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

goatface posted:

My personal opinion is that it's a combination of confirmation bias and youtube's search algorithm being loving trash

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

youtube search is so bad lol. it's like 5 reasonably relevant results, and then just whatever random stuff would show up on your homepage anyway

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
the whole thumbnail face thing is dependent on target audience and doesn't exist for the absolutely niche topics or boomer poo poo like vintage guitar repair videos. A video on how to set up an 8 string or making a guitar out of a shovel to play modern metal would get the Algo face but a StewMac video where a soft-spoken old man talks about how he maintains Willy Nelson's guitar doesn't need a special thumbnail with a red arrow pointing to the worn out spots on Trigger.

Likewise, a video on how to SpeedPaint an army using expo markers and hairspray would of course get red arrows and an AI Henry Cavill pogchamp face while that wouldnt work for a taciturn Slovenian man showing how he uses pva glue and old newspapers to make a diorama of some 18th century naval ship

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

all I know is that I want this image on a shirt:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Silkscreen it onto a warlord titan

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
This was on display at GenCon and I thought it was breathtaking.

If you can't read the little information sheet underneath, the entire thing is scratch-built.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Scratch built as in “hand carved” or “built from a number of 3D printed parts” I wonder

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CapnAndy posted:

This was on display at GenCon and I thought it was breathtaking.

If you can't read the little information sheet underneath, the entire thing is scratch-built.

That's from Ben Kantor and it looks way more stunning with good lighting

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqORxnzOe-0/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Did he win? He'd better have fuckin' won.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015