Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Motronic posted:

On the timeframes they are talking about it's entirely possible they would have to place a lien with a value exceeding the current value of the property. This seems unpauzible.

And you're right to specifically mention "from New York" because this is absolutely going to be different in every state and the filing procedure will be different in every county of every state.

yeah but every mortgage everywhere secures payment of the interest and fees as well. that's part of the point of such a lien and you just creatively draft to wedge the appreciation in value into the form of a note if a note is actually required in the state you're operating in. and you can put a lien that is way more than the property is actually worth, it just only secures the debt up to the value of the property itself. that happens all the time with corporate debt liens.

but yes, they will require local counsel in each state they operate to get the proper number of stamps from the proper place. real property liens are really loving easy to gently caress up and a huge pain in the rear end. real companies securing real debt worth tens to hundreds of millions of dollars routinely gently caress them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

evilweasel posted:

yeah but every mortgage everywhere secures payment of the interest and fees as well

A mortgage lien is distinct from whatever kind of lien they may be going for here and has a clearly defined start date, end date, and exact down to the penny payment schedule. It's not at all like what would need to be done for this not-a-company company.

That being said, I think you personally have put more thought into this than they have.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

it came from reddit:

My 300K portfolio to retire early. Feasible? (self.investing)

quote:

Hi, I’m someone at 33 who can’t work well and unfortunately highly sensitive to any stress, so I’m willing to live in a low cost of living place to reduce the time to work. Lucky I have a passport in east Asia. The cost of living is like Japan.

I think with a combination of stock, bond, and REITs, it’s not so difficult to get 10% yearly with max drawdown bellows 50%.

Portfolio will be something like these, (with symbols and yearly returns)

20% REITs: O 6%

20% BDC: ARCC 10%

40% Stock: QQQ 15%, SPY 12%

20% Bond: I haven’t really looked into which bond to buy, but probably treasury with cooperation bonds around 5%-8%

It’s just a rough idea to show it seems possible and the ratio can be changed. Do you guys think it feasible? That means 30k yearly cost. 2.5 k monthly cost (including rent and everything).

p.s Assuming one person only. I may accidentally get a family but I don’t want to make this estimation too complicated.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, especially my portfolio. I know most people are overly confident in their ability to beat the market, so I thought better to ask here to ensure I don't overestimate myself and end up on the streets. Thanks 🙏

post history in /r/digitalnomad and /r/algotrading, which sound like fertile grounds themselves

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Motronic posted:

A mortgage lien is distinct from whatever kind of lien they may be going for here and has a clearly defined start date, end date, and exact down to the penny payment schedule. It's not at all like what would need to be done for this not-a-company company.

That being said, I think you personally have put more thought into this than they have.

well remember: a mortgage is just a real property lien in this context. we always think of them as securing a mortgage debt for a residence but that's not how they have to operate. you use mortgages for securing corporate debt as well - for example an oil and gas company will have its debt secured by mortgages on its leases. and you can do all sorts of crazy poo poo with corporate debt without busting the mortgage - like PIK interest and a make-whole. you could structure the equity upside basically like make-whole - a fee for repaying the loan that can be very large. but you can gently caress it up and that's why every oil and gas bankruptcy - since they involve thousands of mortgage filings - can have a fight if they were done right

there was just a case, Sanchez, where they were not done right and that's costing people tens to a hundred million+

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

it came from reddit:

post history in /r/digitalnomad and /r/algotrading, which sound like fertile grounds themselves

People never factor in estimated inflation! And drat, 10% average expected returns on a portfolio that isn't even completely swinging for the fences?

Prolly more for the long term investing thread, but personally I figure maybe I can get 2% over inflation without being extremely risky (and cross fingers for no big drawdown right as we need it). And I'd like to not to eat into my principal at all, so using that criteria, 2% of 300K would mean only 6K/year to live on.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

it came from reddit:

This is a broker trying to pump ARCC, isn't it? Pushing past the futility of the plan at large, how in the world did he pick an uninteresting mid-market BDC for 20% of his portfolio?

quote:

It’s for stable cash flow, so I don’t need to sell too much stocks. Selling stocks feels stressful. Look the beautiful dividend curve: https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/ARCC/ares-capital/dividend-yield-history

drk
Jan 16, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

how in the world did he pick an uninteresting mid-market BDC for 20% of his portfolio?

too much time on seeking alpha reading articles like this?

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Vox Nihili posted:

it came from reddit:

quote:

p.s Assuming one person only. I may accidentally get a family but I don’t want to make this estimation too complicated.

How do you "accidentally get a family"? Forget the condom?

This person clearly inherited $300k and can't see more than a day into the future. The forecasted return for that portfolio, as a basis for one's lifetime, is :eyepop:.

Magicaljesus fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 8, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Magicaljesus posted:

This person clearly inherited $300k and can't see more than a day into the future. The forecasted return for that portfolio is :eyepop:.

But they are highly sensitive to stress! Surely this condition is both diagnosable and qualifies for SSDI.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just use your 300k to start a proportional heloc company its not a heloc company because you are guaranteed to lose your house to us company.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

buffalo all day posted:

gently caress you!!!

I mean, it wasn't the greatest post in internet history, but...???

I'm not sure if you hate me, CHAT-GPT, Pauzible or Miley Cyrus.

All are perfectly reasonable things to hate.

blackmet fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 8, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Magicaljesus posted:

How do you "accidentally get a family"? Forget the condom?

I mean, that's how most people accidentally got a family in the last century or two.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

blackmet posted:

I mean, it wasn't the greatest post in internet history, but...???

I'm not sure if you hate me, CHAT-GPT, Pauzible or Miley Cyrus.

All are perfectly reasonable things to hate.

the results of chatgpt prompts are my sworn enemy

Baddog
May 12, 2001

buffalo all day posted:

the results of chatgpt prompts are my sworn enemy

I figured, but try not to just scream gently caress you at people here.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Baddog posted:

I figured, but try not to just scream gently caress you at people here.

his response is the only appropriate one when LLM poo poo gets posted

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Oh look we're at this point in the cycle again (from my spam folder):

I remember people at work in 2007 (ish) talking about "investing in wine".

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

A work of genius from the yospos bitcoin thread:

PittTheElder posted:

That same dude was hella impressed that someone used a blockchain to invent a virtual pawn shop

https://twitter.com/CirrusNFT/status/1669064880949985280?s=20

Shame Boy posted:

the full text of the tweet:

Someone just took a $14,500 loan on two Rolexes at 12% APR from a complete stranger all on-chain

The Rolexes were sent to an escrow company who then sent back NFTs representing ownership of the watches

The borrower can then use those NFTs to tap into global liquidity rather than taking a predatory loan at their local pawn shop

If they default? The lender can use the NFTs to redeem the watches

One of the most obvious and easy to understand use cases of NFTs

instead of getting a predatory loan from a pawn shop you can get a predatory loan from the internet!

Later on there's the excellent "audits are all done remotely by video" which is backed up by "community incentives to verify" and the use of "tamper proof tape" to ensure that your watch is delivered to you.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Aug 8, 2023

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

A bunch of those people in nyc got wrecked when the warehouse they all used flooded during Sandy.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Brand Ambassador Mads Hviid Carlsen?! Wow!!

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

LanceHunter posted:

It does, which is why they are using the much more romantic term "chef"; a term that appeals to guys like this who would never in a million years take a fast food job.

This is an amazing article. True Schadenfreude.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

A work of genius from the yospos bitcoin thread:

Later on there's the excellent "audits are all done remotely by video" which is backed up by "community incentives to verify" and the use of "tamper proof tape" to ensure that your watch is delivered to you.

Idgi how is the nft at all useful here, and how is this better than just a loan for money and using that money for watches? Or going to a pawn shop. Or just securing a loan with your watch.

Is it because doing all this makes fraud easier?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

leper khan posted:

Correct.

"That sounds stupid. You must be explaining it wrong." is a common reaction to most crypto shenanigans because they're all scams built on scams.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Correct.

"That sounds stupid. You must be explaining it wrong." is a common reaction to most crypto shenanigans because they're all scams built on scams.

Or to facilitate money laundering. Don't forget that use case.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Motronic posted:

Or to facilitate money laundering. Don't forget that use case.

I'm reminded of a guy from the UK who posted asking whether he was in trouble for running a monero exchange on his home server. I wonder if any updates to that situation ever came to light.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

hell yes an exciting new opportunity in rum securitizations

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Brewing With Molasses: We've got Mads Hviid Carlsen

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
investing in premium rums is great, but really i would like to diversify by buying bundles of common rums with lower risk profiles,

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I prefer to diversify my rum investments with ice and maybe coke or ginger beer.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

lol

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm reminded of a guy from the UK who posted asking whether he was in trouble for running a monero exchange on his home server. I wonder if any updates to that situation ever came to light.

Pretty sure Barclays had already shut his account and set the balance to negative 500,000 GBP or something while they investigated him for money laundering lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

leper khan posted:

Idgi how is the nft at all useful here, and how is this better than just a loan for money and using that money for watches? Or going to a pawn shop. Or just securing a loan with your watch.

It's the "I bought a parcel of land that is going to be a gold mine" scam.The buyer thinks they've got something of value so doesn't look too closely at it and parades around a worthless piece of paper.

Just take my money already!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

lord fifth posted:

investing in premium rums is great, but really i would like to diversify by buying bundles of common rums with lower risk profiles,

I mix mine together so that I follow the index.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Where are the rum nfts?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

Where are the rum nfts?

They’re there if you look, but the exchange only operates on island time

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

leper khan posted:

if it's anything like most crypto businesses the pawn business is not a primary profit driver. it exists as a form of "legitimacy laundering" to get gullible bitcoiners to go "woah this thing OWNS! and is totally a successful company" and invest in the protocol's associated ponzi crypto token.

as for why an end user would ever bother... I guess it's a way to liquidate assets for more ponzi-scheme entry tickets without going through kyc/aml regs for touching USD

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh, he wasn’t asking if he was in trouble. He was asking how to explain to the bank that he couldn’t be in trouble because following the law was technologically impossible for him so obviously it didn’t apply.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

as for why an end user would ever bother...

Where else are you going to turn your Bangkok special fake Rolex into shitcoins with low trade volume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

raminasi posted:

Oh, he wasn’t asking if he was in trouble. He was asking how to explain to the bank that he couldn’t be in trouble because following the law was technologically impossible for him so obviously it didn’t apply.

Ah, yes. Now I recall.

orange juche posted:

Pretty sure Barclays had already shut his account and set the balance to negative 500,000 GBP or something while they investigated him for money laundering lol

Still makes me :lol: