Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a designer at GW who really likes mechs and pushed hard for that side to continue.
Who knows. v:v:v

Lets be real theres a ton of players who like mechs, theyre cool and i bet like 80% of tau players bought in because crisis suits are dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

The Covenant was right there you know.

Never played Halo

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

radlum posted:

I got the Cadia Stands box, two chimeras and a Castellan. What should I buy next to start an imperial guard army?

You could pick up a couple units of 'veteran guardsmen' (IE Death Korps) squads. A few heavy weapons teams (you could buy the mortars from a 3rd party and then model some extra guardsmen from tank kits on the bases)
You'll want a few leman russ tanks, maybe a rogal dorn.

Really depends on what you want to do? Do you want to eventually have a good mix of all units in the range so you can play multiple combinations of units for a 2000pt game?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

The Deleter posted:

The fact that Stormsurges and Riptides sold in any amount is a crime imo. Ugly rear end models.

I think the Riptide is fine, I guess, but I definitely preferred the Tau when they were characterized as not using any superheavies other than the Manta. They were fun as a very modern, smart faction dropped into the gonzo bizarro world of 40k and trying to deal with its absurdities with technology and good tactics. They were a nice contrast to the Imperium, and giving them giant logistically wasteful robots clashes a little bit with that characterization.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Lets be real theres a ton of players who like mechs, theyre cool and i bet like 80% of tau players bought in because crisis suits are dope

Sure, but I'd figure the shift towards a mech heavier Tau might've just come from a push by one of the designers than just pure salesfigures.
Hard to tell obviously.

Professor Shark posted:

Never played Halo

Ah. :v:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

FishFood posted:

I think the Riptide is fine, I guess, but I definitely preferred the Tau when they were characterized as not using any superheavies other than the Manta. They were fun as a very modern, smart faction dropped into the gonzo bizarro world of 40k and trying to deal with its absurdities with technology and good tactics. They were a nice contrast to the Imperium, and giving them giant logistically wasteful robots clashes a little bit with that characterization.

I loved this part about Tau, it was like you asked some US army officer after Desert Storm to design an army for 40k, with markerlights and net centric warfare being a defining feature rather than the Suits. The Taros Campaign was a really cool book.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Depends on how you want to play them:

A billion guardsmen
As many tanks as you can afford

I liked the idea of taking a list full of Scout/Armored walkers and making extensive use of the reinforcements stratagem. Use up hunter killer missiles and kamikaze enemy units, respawn, repeat.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

The Deleter posted:

Everything with the Tau in the lore feels like an overcorrection due to their bad reception when they came out. We coulda had psychic polar bears, human auxilleries, all sorts of models, and we just get more and more battlesuits instead.
I can see a motley collection of xenos auxiliaries (Kroot, Vespid, stuff even weirder) led by an Ethereal being the Genestealer Cults to the Tau's Tyranids. I'd be down for an entire army of Mos Eisley Cantina weirdos.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember that I bought some Italian metal Fishmen that are reproductions of some weird aliens from the RT days. For some reason I really wanted them

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

OctaMurk posted:

I know I bought in with the initial 3rd edition premier because of the Chris Foss style adjacent artwork for everything. That really made an impression in a game otherwise dominated by grimdark gothic aesthetics.

Edit: I still love Kroot but IIRC the issue with vespids was that they were a short ranged, relatively fragile jump-troop that could wound mEq type models well enough but weren't any more accurate or lethal than what battle suits could do so no one ever really felt compelled to use them.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 8, 2023

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I played against a full squad of armored sentinels and they were tough! Especially since you can order them to take cover, etc. Plus they re-roll wounds when they shoot, very dangerous to my tanks.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

OctaMurk posted:

Don't doxx me like this

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Maybe we should email GW

Edit: about aliens

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Edit: I still love Kroot but IIRC the issue with vespids was that they were a short ranged, relatively fragile jump-troop that could wound mEq type models well enough but weren't any more accurate or lethal than what battle suits could do so no one ever really felt compelled to use them.

also they were topheavy metal models that looked like dogshit

the kroot kt is a cool set and fun in kt

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Other than Goonhammer, are there any websites that write stuff about 40k or is it pretty much all scattered throughout YouTube (and overwhelmed by battle reports of wildly varying quality)?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

rantmo posted:

Other than Goonhammer, are there any websites that write stuff about 40k or is it pretty much all scattered throughout YouTube (and overwhelmed by battle reports of wildly varying quality)?

warphammer is intermittent and chaos-focused but interesting. woehammer has list rundowns with some sparse commentary, although they're a bit more AOS-focused. tale of painters has good advice on hobby products and paints (but with a slant to stuff in EU/UK). can you roll a crit has KT meta commentary (and some interesting winrate data that should be taken with an enormous grain of salt), but it's a supplement to a stream of consciousness YT vlog that has the bulk of the detail.

BOLS and spiky bits exist but are garbage.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yeah, that's about what I'd figured.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Cease to Hope posted:

also they were topheavy metal models that looked like dogshit

the kroot kt is a cool set and fun in kt

Yea, being released in metal did them no favors, and the design was really dull. I recall that they were also not priced (either in $$$ or points) to make much sense - you were paying a premium for something that was better done by a suit, which would also be in plastic and much nicer to work with.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Yea, being released in metal did them no favors, and the design was really dull. I recall that they were also not priced (either in $$$ or points) to make much sense - you were paying a premium for something that was better done by a suit, which would also be in plastic and much nicer to work with.

most of the alien auxiliaries had this problem, yeah. kroot hounds were even worse, since they were pure harassment chaff that you wanted 20 of but they came in blisters of like 2. krootoxen weren't cheap points-wise but they were expensive, heavy models that were a terrific pain to assemble securely. hell, the metal kroot stuff was even good looking, but fabulously expensive and a bad fit for the army.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Professor Shark posted:

I remember that I bought some Italian metal Fishmen that are reproductions of some weird aliens from the RT days. For some reason I really wanted them

Professor Shark is into Pisceans? Really? I'm shocked.

(LOL, I think I have those figs too and I spent way too much on Stephen May's Piscean Kickstarter)

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Ashcans posted:

They should have been a kit more like the AdMech Pteraxii. Those are pretty neat looking winged models. (They're also like 15 years more modern, but hey.)

I always liked the design of the Tau troops and (smaller) battlesuits, but I've never been a fan of Kroot, Vespids or even the Ethereals for that matter. It doesn't feel like the same army, really.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I looked those ones up and they look really cool- they would be great in an alien army- but the ones I have are basically recasts of the old RT ones. I should really pull them out and paint them as a palette cleanser sometime.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Vespid look really squat and goofy, and when I snag a squad I'll definitly go for a 3d printed option. Kroot could use a refresh but I kinda wnana see everything get off of that finecast as well, which includs stuff like the Firesight team and a bunch of Ethereal special characters iirc,

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
the kill team kroot box looks sick as hell though

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Deleter posted:

Vespid look really squat and goofy, and when I snag a squad I'll definitly go for a 3d printed option. Kroot could use a refresh but I kinda wnana see everything get off of that finecast as well, which includs stuff like the Firesight team and a bunch of Ethereal special characters iirc,

kroot got a brand new boxed set last december for KT. the models look great, especially if you like dudes who make a cloak look good, and they're fun (if generally very conservative) in KT. only downside is that the unit is weirdly pointless in 10e, but you could use them as regular kroot

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When they first came out weren’t they the Tau’s answer for close combat? Cheap and devastating if you let them close in

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I know they were supposed to be their close combat troops, and I also recall playing against Eldar that souped in a unit or two of Kroot mercenaries but it was amongst friends so no idea if that was legal or not in 3rd - I think it was probably a white dwarf thing?

Can't remember if they were any good though TBF I was playing Blood Angels at the time so the blender bois versus "the best Tau CC" isn't really a fair matchup.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Professor Shark posted:

When they first came out weren’t they the Tau’s answer for close combat? Cheap and devastating if you let them close in

They were dogshit at the time in melee, but at various times they were better than firewarriors for shooting per point you spent on them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I know they were supposed to be their close combat troops, and I also recall playing against Eldar that souped in a unit or two of Kroot mercenaries but it was amongst friends so no idea if that was legal or not in 3rd - I think it was probably a white dwarf thing?

There was a Kroot Mercenary army you could run via Chapter Approved in 3rd. No idea if you could ally them in though.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

Can't remember if they were any good though TBF I was playing Blood Angels at the time so the blender bois versus "the best Tau CC" isn't really a fair matchup.

It was in a WD, I had a guy in my old group who also ran kroot mercs.

Edit: beaten haha

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

kroot were were not devastating, no. they punched about as hard as tactical marines at half the cost, but they were paper-thin, had a lower initiative, and had a chance to fail to sweeping advance when they did win a melee. (this was an annoying but not gamebreaking weakness, and it would occasionally get them killed.) the hounds were cheaper and better in melee (twice the attacks, standard init 4), but you needed a kroot squad to add them to, and they were sold two to a blister when a full unit was eight.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Kroot had effectively a bolter and two S4 attacks in CC but a guardsman statline, a 6+ save you paid extra for, and a bonus to cover saves + an increase in the distance they could see through cover to shoot. They were good as cheap weight of fire and annoying to dislodge objective holders but the fragility and low initiative meant 99% of the time they were better off shooting instead of punching.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Combat Patrol is working well. My partner has been enjoying the hobby so much she bought another kit. When she bought the combat patrol she swore she was only going to buy that one set.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Deleter posted:

I would love a Vespid kill team that look like Brundleflies or something

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Improbable Lobster posted:

I would love a Vespid kill team that look like Brundleflies or something

a team of baxter stockmans

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Just because I have to rave about it somewhere, I've been listening to The Infinite and The Divine and I should be finishing it this weekend.

It's been FANTASTIC. :allears:

Spoiler: Realizing why the planet is going to be destroyed and watching all of the pieces fall into place has been beautiful.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Spanish Manlove posted:

the kill team kroot box looks sick as hell though

Can confirm they look super cool, easily some of my favourite minis looks wise super hyped to paint them

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Pinwiz11 posted:

Just because I have to rave about it somewhere, I've been listening to The Infinite and The Divine and I should be finishing it this weekend.

It's been FANTASTIC. :allears:

Spoiler: Realizing why the planet is going to be destroyed and watching all of the pieces fall into place has been beautiful.

I finished it yesterday and despite a few flaws it's a really really fun read/listen. The author has a lot of fun, especially when he gets to do Orks.

Spoiler: I could hear the Always Sunny theme start playing when the planetary governess got popped in the back of the head. "Trazyn Starts a Genestealer Cult."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What am I not seeing about the Falcon and the Wave Serpent? The WS seems to have better guns and more transport capacity but is cheaper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The Falcon can deep strike and gives a boatload of rerolls on disembark.