Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

Yea this is how we got beer money in college

Bonus was that without all that extra blood you got drunker more easily. Win win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1688768915600809984?s=20

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

i did my part by buying a $9 sunglass case from aliexpress. plz chairman xi raise my social credit score

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I never tried the plasma route cause anytime blood is drawn from me they gently caress up and give me a giant hematoma so i did economics studies instead. they were basically math video games so I could clean up as a nerdy goon. I made $200 in 90 minutes once cause I won every round in some expected value picking game, I think my opponents got $25 each or something. i had to make sure i left last cause you could see the money getting counted for each person as they left and it was anonymous until then

I'm still sad I missed out on one study I saw where they give you $2000 to take cocaine and get a pet scan, I didn't get a call back sadly. I did get paid to get an MRI once, that was pretty fun since I'd never gotten one before

being a human guinea pig was kinda fun actually, hopefully there's some use for us after the climate hyperwars coming up soon since computer touching sure won't be useful then

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I got like $500 for some test to drink vinegar and see how it affected blood pressure. I didn't drink the vinegar and lied that I did. The medical system works!

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

drink the vinegar

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

I got like $500 for some test to drink vinegar and see how it affected blood pressure. I didn't drink the vinegar and lied that I did. The medical system works!

lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I've posted in this thread before about the astroturfed push in local media and social media to Deal With the homeless / the poor by any means necessary downtown

Now we're just straight up publishing PR pieces as concerned citizen letters

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/letters/2023/08/06/pittsburgh-is-worse-than-philadelphia/stories/202308060036

quote:

I spent several days in Pittsburgh last week and was thinking about writing this, but when I read the story about the state of Downtown and other parts of the City, I knew I had to write (“Downtown, South Side remain epicenters of violence, despite Pittsburgh’s crime numbers — and response,” Aug. 1).

In all my years of living in and visiting Pittsburgh, I have never seen the Downtown look so bad. Empty, dirty, and unsafe. Personally, I experienced an attempted homicide in the lobby of my hotel on Forbes Avenue and was accosted twice walking to my office in Gateway Center. Yes, I live in Philadelphia and as bad as Philadelphia is, Pittsburgh is worse. I am trying to get my colleagues back to work at least four days a week, but with what I experienced, it is apparent downtown has a true chicken and egg dilemma.

But I was also in Lawrenceville, Shady Side, and Squirrel Hill, which were the polar opposite of Downtown. The fact is, for a city to be thriving, it must have a strong core. If something is not done, Pittsburgh will suffer in job loss and reputation. To see friends and associates was wonderful, to experience the Downtown was heartbreaking.

I don’t have the answer, but one thing I know about Pittsburgh is there are people, businesses and organization there that do, and they should be given the chance to make things right.

Larry Ceisler
Philadelphia

Who's this Ceisler guy? Turns out he runs a PR firm with clients like the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership, an organization trying to make the city more business-friendly (lol)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Ceisler

quote:

Larry Ceisler is a prominent political operative in Pennsylvania, where he is the principal of Ceisler Media & Issue Advocacy.

A native of Washington, Pennsylvania, he is a graduate of American University and Duquesne University School of Law.[1]

He worked as a news producer for KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh and was transferred to KYW-TV in Philadelphia in 1983.[1] In 1986, he left the news business to work as a Deputy Campaign Manager for Philadelphia Mayor Wilson Goode.[1] He then joined the Wilson administration as Special Assistant for Governmental Relations and Special Counsel for the Commerce Department.[1]

He worked as a political analyst for WTXF-TV in Philadelphia from 1999 through 2005.[1] He is also a regular political commentator on KYW-TV, CN8, and the Michael Smerconish Show on WPHT.[1]

He testified in federal court as an expert witness in politics and testified against the GOP-created Pennsylvania redistricting plan.[2]

In 2010, Politics Magazine named him one of the most influential Democrats in Pennsylvania.[3]

In 2003, Larry Ceisler and Jeff Jubelirer formed the media advocacy firm Ceisler Jubelirer, LLC. Then in 2010 the name changed to Ceisler Media & Issue Advocacy when Jubelirer went on to pursue other avenues.

just a coordinated campaign to eject the poor and unsightly, nbd

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

my roommate every Christmas break would do a study where they put you in a hotel for a week and gave some people the cold to track how it spread, maybe that's the real way covid started. it'd pay for his rent for 3 months and he'd just play video games while eating free room service so I guess it was worth?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Willa Rogers posted:

"And I think Democrats should probably clean up their message by dropping the white whale of student loan forgiveness, a proposal that was cooked up under totally different macroeconomic circumstances and doesn’t make sense today."

Ten bucks says that MattY's student loans were forgiven and he's pulling up the ladder to the clubhouse in the name of "fiscal responsibility". I despise smug eggman.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

:nice:

about drat time.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Produce spoiling easier at the store level can be down to a few things. The biggest contributor is probably going to be shipping. A poster mentioned previously that delays or temperatures in transit can shorten the shelf life of foods.

This is a smaller factor but at the US retail store level in the late 90s and up to around 2008 you had stores full of employees so a Produce department at a Wal Mart might be 2 works and a manager for each shift. This meant they spent a lot of time on presentation. I did this myself and we would spend hours and hours on presentation. Spotted or obviously bad fruits and vegetables were pulled from the displays. Everything was constantly refreshed. We had shitloads of food waste because every tomato with a black spot or apple with wrinkled skin was garbage. The Store Must Look Clean And Perfect For Customers Says Corporate.

Now every store is a warzone where there might be one or two produce people, period. No one gives a poo poo about or has time for presentation because the produce associates are working in dairy or grocery. So the already shittier quality produce is sitting around until it literally rots and customers are having to pick through the disaster.

In this example I had a manager screaming in my face 15 years ago because I didn't squeeze every onion and people complained about buying bad ones. Now the onion baskets at every store I go to are mixed with rotting onions. So it's probably a combination. Shipping quality is way worse and stores decided that produce quality screening was an unnecessary cost they could cut.

I remember moving to an area about twelve years ago where the closest grocery store was a Harris Teeter, mostly fine, little pricey, but they would pre-peel all the purple onions. Every single individual onion would have had its outer, non edible layers removed. I never understood how that helped anything, nor did I understand how they had time to do that. It did made for an amazing looking display, though.

Apr 7, 2003

https://whyy.org/articles/pennsylvania-medicaid-at-least-137000-people-cut/

quote:

Pennsylvania cuts at least 137,000 people from its Medicaid program as some participants fight paperwork denials

At least 137,000 people have been terminated from Pennsylvania’s Medicaid program since April, when a pandemic-era rule that had guaranteed continuous enrollment in the low-income health insurance program ended.

Some no longer qualify for the program based on their income, others have failed to submit the yearly renewal paperwork that is again required.

Public health experts say they expect the number of terminations to grow over the next eight months as the state reevaluates roughly 3.6 million people for program eligibility.

Slightly over 1% of the entire state's population thrown off Medicaid over paperwork issues, with another 27% of the state's total population to possibly be thrown off the rolls in the near future.

Dems hold the governor's office and the state House of Representatives lmao

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

AvesPKS posted:

I remember moving to an area about twelve years ago where the closest grocery store was a Harris Teeter, mostly fine, little pricey, but they would pre-peel all the purple onions. Every single individual onion would have had its outer, non edible layers removed. I never understood how that helped anything, nor did I understand how they had time to do that. It did made for an amazing looking display, though.

It's a relic of the now dead idea of Customer Experience. You walk into your store and are greeted by an army of smiling associates and bright, beautiful displays.

That is incompatible with capitalism so you get a skeleton crew of overworked workers with PTSD and a warzone of products you have to sort through yourself because they are barely treading water moving freight to the shelves.

Same reason people have nostalgia for the 1980s sit down restaurant nature of Pizza Huts when it's evolved into a hyper efficient series of understaffed pizza ovens using the cheapest possible ingredients for the highest prices people will pay.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I've also had to develop the habit of checking the expiration date and doing a visual inspection of every fresh packaged product I buy, because they're slow at pulling old product off the shelves. I used to only pay attention to milk/cream, now every department is a minefield, and this is a relatively affluent area. Whole Foods is more on top of it but gently caress Whole Foods

Stores are also behind in inventory so they'll let all the product sit there until it's bad, dump all of it, and have an empty spot on the shelf for a week

Everyone should be checking the expiration dates on everything. I developed the habit because I worked at 3 different grocery retailers and am noticing shitloads of stuff just sitting around expired. Stores used to have the department workers do a daily expiration check but I've found too many expired products to mention. The worst was apple sauce 3 months out of date at wal mart.

I figured it was the extreme cost cutting that reduced store staff by like 75%+ over the last 20 years combined with the inability to even find people for those skeleton crews after covid. Things like fronting and facing and maintenence are going to suffer as they struggle to stock the shelves.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
the problem is that expiration dates are totally meaningless outside of pharmaceuticals (where they actually have to prove with data expiry and even then they typically err on the side of shorter expiry). for food expiration dates are totally based on vibes and even then it's about flavor and not safety.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
You are thinking of "Best By" dates but if you want to eat the 3 week past its expiration grey ham I saw at publix yesterday it's probably still there

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

spacemang_spliff posted:

for food expiration dates are totally based on vibes and even then it's about flavor and not safety.

"It's about flavor not safety" I gurgle while choking down multicolored, lumpy yogurt.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It's a relic of the now dead idea of Customer Experience. You walk into your store and are greeted by an army of smiling associates and bright, beautiful displays.

The forced servility thing will never not be unnerving to me.

Apr 7, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://whyy.org/articles/pennsylvania-medicaid-at-least-137000-people-cut/

Slightly over 1% of the entire state's population thrown off Medicaid over paperwork issues, with another 27% of the state's total population to possibly be thrown off the rolls in the near future.

Dems hold the governor's office and the state House of Representatives lmao

most people 'losing' their medicaid are simply not submitting annual renewal forms.

during the phe everyone was auto-qualified and no one was removed from rolls except in duplicate benefit situations (and often not even then). this is *mostly* just a return to 2019.

yes american healthcare is a horror show but this is just getting back to normal levels of cruelty. baseline inhumanity. that sort of thing.

also some states (like mine) massively raised the limits to quality and will soon completely do away with them ❤️ california

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I notice this whenever I travel to the States. It makes me really uncomfortable because I don't need someone to affect niceness to me, and I don't know how to respond when they start doing it.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
nah it's expiration dates too. there's nothing mandating how those are determined. I think chicken has a mandated date but other than that it's the wild west. baby formula also has expiration dates but they're overseen by the FDA, I think adult formula is the same.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1688819644684181504

Imagine what would happen here if Brandon announced windfall taxes on ... well, pretty much every industry that has been raising prices to gouge customers.

Apr 7, 2003

Ammanas posted:

most people 'losing' their medicaid are simply not submitting annual renewal forms.

Maybe, but we should not be removing access to healthcare from vulnerable people because they didn't send the right form in time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1688790464609112064

broke: girlboss

woke: girlemployee 🥰🥰🥰

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Maybe, but we should not be removing access to healthcare from vulnerable people because they didn't send the right form in time.

VOTE

they can literally same-day reactivate at any time by sending in the necessary paperwork. bad news friend this is how the multiple levels of bureaucratic threshing works.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Gen X did it first.

Apr 7, 2003

Ammanas posted:

VOTE

they can literally same-day reactivate at any time by sending in the necessary paperwork. bad news friend this is how the multiple levels of bureaucratic threshing works.

http://services.dpw.state.pa.us/oimpolicymanuals/ma/316_MAWD/316_07_Retroactive_Eligibility.htm

Cutting vulnerable people off from medical assistance because they didn't send the right form in time and making it a pain in the rear end to get retroactive coverage seems bad and unnecessarily cruel, but maybe that's just me.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Frosted Flake posted:

I notice this whenever I travel to the States. It makes me really uncomfortable because I don't need someone to affect niceness to me, and I don't know how to respond when they start doing it.

Don't ever go to a Westboro Baptist Chicken Chik-fil-A in the US. They have the creepiest servility.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

http://services.dpw.state.pa.us/oimpolicymanuals/ma/316_MAWD/316_07_Retroactive_Eligibility.htm

Cutting vulnerable people off from medical assistance because they didn't send the right form in time and making it a pain in the rear end to get retroactive coverage seems bad and unnecessarily cruel, but maybe that's just me.

we are a Nation of Laws

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

jobs pls

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

hope you're looking for part time for near minimum wage cuz we got plenty of those

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't ever go to a Westboro Baptist Chicken Chik-fil-A in the US. They have the creepiest servility.

My Pleasure

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Frosted Flake posted:

I do not like to go into a Moe's because they would shout "Welcome to Moe's!" at you like insane people.

At least Cold Stone employees don't have to sing on demand anymore.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Also after donating blood you get drunk way faster / cheaper.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

AvesPKS posted:

Harris Teeter is good but you should see what they are doing over at the Food Minotaur.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
poo poo goes down at Food Minotaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1688790464609112064

broke: girlboss

woke: girlemployee 🥰🥰🥰

all these articles are just to to promote something.