Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

For the record I think everything else about bg3 is amazing I just weep for what it could have been if they used a ruleset that isn't garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You've obviously never read the PS5 thread

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Zokari posted:

it never fails to make me laugh that this is one of the angriest and most hostile threads on SA

A big tent holds a big circus! Posting in a game thread about how you don't like the game is a little weird, but since there are lots of different RPGs, it makes sense that we'd have different tastes about them.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

DNE posted:

A big tent holds a big circus!

And we are all clowns

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

For the record I think everything else about bg3 is amazing I just weep for what it could have been if they used a ruleset that isn't garbage.

it truly is the new Witcher 3

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think overfocusing on the ruleset over the inventiveness of the encounters in BG3 kind of limits your ability to be creative. You have so many ways to manipulate the environments and build your party that reward you for thinking laterally, whereas most CRPGs are just variants of “wail on boss using numbers system until dead.” There are just so many cool experimental things you can do that other games don’t touch.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zokari posted:

it never fails to make me laugh that this is one of the angriest and most hostile threads on SA

i don't think that's even remotely true

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Some Lufia music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV_fI8DgAbc

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you think this thread is hostile i think your skin would melt off if you read the POE or Diablo threads

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm not really sure where that comment even comes from, this discussion doesn't seem that heated to me

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

You've obviously never read the PS5 thread

or the board game thread

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arivia posted:

Ah, I missed your post before that since you didn't quote anyone. My bad. Still, it feels like you're shifting your target.

I really am not! I was responding to Ibram who said they felt like they had no choices leveling up.

To be honest (and *this* may be moving the goalposts a bit) I wonder how much of this is tied to strong feelings about D&D as a system and the dislike between various editions. I don't really play D&D so I'm mostly judging it off the various games I play as opposed to a tabletop system. (My general experiences with D&D as a tabletop system were negative regardless of the edition TBH.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MockingQuantum posted:

or the board game thread

or the MTG thread

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you think this thread is hostile i think your skin would melt off if you read the POE or Diablo threads

the poe thread has become much, much better. it got a bit cranky with the recent poe2 news but it'll be fine.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Same but Pathfinder 1e. The thing is that Larian has spruced up D&D 5e no end while Owlcat really exercised PF1's worst excesses that are short of full on wizard supremacy.

Some of that is down to the relative weaknesses of the respective systems specifically - for instance, adapting it to a video game with heavy freedom to make use of setpieces and contextual in-combat actions is one of the situations where I actually believe the line that 5e's bare-bonesness is good actually because it frees your GM to make up mechanics without getting into a huge tangle where PF's scaling systems are all opaquely interconnected and it's easy to break entire class mechanics with an exception, which is why Owlcat doesn't really try, it just builds tactical encounters for you to throw the correct spells at in between narrative segments. Pathfinder may be more engaging as a system out of the box (I'm well out of love with PF1 but I still remember what the building bug felt like) but BG3's content takes a lot of advantage of the open gaps in 5e's system.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 8, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Here are some fun things I’ve done so far in Baldur’s Gate 3, about 30 hours in:

- The aforementioned alley ooping my Halfling Bard up to a platform to thunderwave the bad guys to their deaths.
- Burning a web bridge with fire grenades to make the spider boss on top take huge fall damage.
- Started a combat encounter early into a cutscene to jump a boss when they were still isolated from the rest of their crew.
- Using a psionic mage hand to shove an enemy off a tower into my melee line.
- Using a big mechanical lever to crush a scary boss into paste
- Collapsing a bridge onto a bunch of goblins, killing them all.
- Releasing a bunch of caged spiders from their pens so that they would fight the boss for me.

And I’m sure there are many other approaches people more creative than me have invented. At no point have I thought “oh dear oh me, the limitations of 5E.” I can’t think of another CRPG that even attempts this level of environmental manipulation besides DOS2.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

I'm not really sure where that comment even comes from, this discussion doesn't seem that heated to me

someone who used to post in here said it elsewhere and i guess it got circulated as forums knowledge, and i feel like that person took me being abrasive on an internet forum as threatening his life cause he also kept getting taken aback at me when he did post here and i didn't understand why then either

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love Baldur's Gate 3, and I have already finished my first campaign, with two more in the works, but am just looking forward to the game being a bit more polished. Not even the rules of 5e bothered me, but how buggy and glitchy the game is, especially after Act 2, really got to me at points.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my only baldur's gate 3 word is that it seems fine but i'm not into those kinds of rpgs anymore

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Here are some fun things I’ve done so far in Baldur’s Gate 3, about 30 hours in:

- The aforementioned alley ooping my Halfling Bard up to a platform to thunderwave the bad guys to their deaths.
- Burning a web bridge with fire grenades to make the spider boss on top take huge fall damage.
- Started a combat encounter early into a cutscene to jump a boss when they were still isolated from the rest of their crew.
- Releasing a bunch of caged spiders from their pens so that they would fight the boss for me.

And I’m sure there are many other approaches people more creative than me have invented. At no point have I thought “oh dear oh me, the limitations of 5E.” I can’t think of another CRPG that even attempts this level of environmental manipulation besides DOS2.

My favorite fight was one where two separate factions got into a battle next to a lava pit and the combat strategy for both sides, as well as my party, was instantly just 'toss people into lava' to the point I had to kill a specific dude real quick because I needed his head and getting his head out of lava would be hard.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Colonel posted:

played a bit of black/matrix cross, the ps1 port of the famous sega saturn srpg with a gay cheat code. this game opens with your gay twink husband telling you how important you are to him and how he feels at peace just being with you, and he would do anything to be with you, even if society says it's wrong. then you go into the fields and play mario party minigames that level up your stats to create your main character build

You're playing all of the cool RPGs right now that I wish I could have time for.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll play BG3 when it's on PS5

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ImpAtom posted:

My favorite fight was one where two separate factions got into a battle next to a lava pit and the combat strategy for both sides, as well as my party, was instantly just 'toss people into lava' to the point I had to kill a specific dude real quick because I needed his head and getting his head out of lava would be hard.

This is the single most tabletop campaign story I've heard about a CRPG, ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Assuming I've finished Trails to Reverie by then.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
If you can't stack multiple damage modifiers for touch of death combos is it really an rpg

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its not an RPG unless i can break the game by getting crit percentage to 100

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zokari posted:

shut up b*tch, i'll cut you with my demon knife. cackle cackle, no rules only wastledland!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

bewilderment posted:

Owlcat who made the Pathfinder CRPGs has moved on to other projects, which is kind of a shame because Pathfinder 2e is in a really good state right now (or will be after its 'remaster' late this year) making it prime for a computer adaptation. There is a game coming for it but it's an action RPG.

they are making a rogue trader game next which is like, way cooler than just another video game adaption of dnd system. which yes i am lumping pathfinder into that umbrella.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

they are making a rogue trader game next which is like, way cooler than just another video game adaption of dnd system. which yes i am lumping pathfinder into that umbrella.

looked at the steam page for this and i agree that it looks cool.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

Didn't Pathfinder start as an offshoot of dnd anyways because of an open source license that is available?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Snooze Cruise posted:

Shame it's 40k and thus bad.

Edit: aren't Rogue Trader's ruleset and numbers impressively broken, too? Not seeing how this is a step up

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Didn't Pathfinder start as an offshoot of dnd anyways because of an open source license that is available?

Technically yes. The company that makes Pathfinder used to make the official magazines for D&D but were cut off with basically no notice, so they pivoted to making compatible adventures under the Open Gaming License as a way to try and salvage something. The actual roleplaying game came later when it became obvious there was a market for a game to fit the adventures.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I found the environment stuff and the armor system in dos2 kinda tedious. I guess BG3 is more of the same?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arivia posted:

The standard BG3's character creation rules is being compared to isn't console games, it's other PC RPGs, especially D&D ones, where the 5e base has dramatically less decision points and customization options than people have become expected to in the years since Baldur's Gate 2.

So, I may actually enjoy the game if I get it without spending half a year studying a ruleset?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Prism posted:

Shame it's 40k and thus bad.

rogue trader is in a subsection of 40k that is actually interesting. basically its about privateers that get to act outside the normal bounds of the space empire or whatever, going from planet to planet trying to find new avenues of profit. its an area of 40k where humans can have interactions with xenos that isn't just kill on sight, and can even potentially join the crew.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 8, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

OddObserver posted:

So, I may actually enjoy the game if I get it without spending half a year studying a ruleset?

Didn't need that for the other games either.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

I hit that spider baddie with an eldritch blast and sent it flying off the web bridge into a chasm before I was noticed. So glad it worked, because it was 2 levels higher than me. In another fight three enemies were bunched in a small room, so I hit them all with a grease spell, threw a candle, and booked it as the explosions began since they were apparently next to a powder barrel.

Having an absolute blast in combat so far. Even when a party member came down from their rage high and started automatically destroying every breakable object in sight with their fire sword while screaming "gently caress YOU!" without a care in the world for collateral damage. It hurt my team quite a bit, but it was absolutely incredible.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I keep seeing memes about BG3 dice, is it really that RNG heavy?
Is it like Disco Elysium where failing (outside of combat) is cool or is it just save-scum fodder?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

I keep seeing memes about BG3 dice, is it really that RNG heavy?
Is it like Disco Elysium where failing (outside of combat) is cool or is it just save-scum fodder?

You use dice for every check in the game basically. Definitely not as interesting as DE's failures though. Typically just stuff like

[deception] You don't want to hurt me, i have powerful friends!

SUCCEED: avoid a fight
FAILURE: fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I just started playing Chained Echoes and the comments ITT about one of the characters being a less-subtle version of Algus/Argath from FFT were not exaggerating, lol