Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does Copilot have an Income vs Expense report like YNAB? Does any other personal finance app other than YNAB actually?
It does give you an income vs expenses report in the form of a cash flow dashboard, with a monthly breakdown and year-over-year comparisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I guess, in the sense that it isn’t zero based. But IMO the best budgeting app is the one that you’ll actually use - that’s user friendly and set up so you spend the least amount of time fiddling with it. That’s why Copilot wins out for me - YNAB and Buckets just require too much babysitting. They basically require you to be a 24/7 nerd about your finances, manually categorizing each transaction. Copilot automates away most of that.

Well, yeah, that's the whole point; if you aren't actually paying attention to, and using, your budget, you don't have a budget.

"Enter your transactions at the checkout line" doesn't really seem like being a 24/7 nerd though.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
99% of my transactions are auto-categorized just fine by YNAB and the ones that aren't are because I have to do some splits. I just checked screen time and I'm in YNAB an average of 2 minutes per day. I maybe spend 15 minutes on the website after every payday to give my dollars jobs and import my bank statements to reconcile. I think I spent more time reading this thread and composing this post than I did in YNAB this week.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Seems like copilot is iOS/Mac only as well, correct?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yes it is.

Copilot increased in price to 95/year today. Boooo. Still worth it tho

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a free or cheaper than $99/year YNAB alternative for bucket/envelope based budgeting? I don’t need it to sync to my bank account but it would be cool as a plus but not mandatory.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a free or cheaper than $99/year YNAB alternative for bucket/envelope based budgeting? I don’t need it to sync to my bank account but it would be cool as a plus but not mandatory.

I went on this little journey awhile back, gave up and subscribed to new YNAB after using classic YNAB on my Mac for ~12 years.

My main requirements were:
1. cloud sync
2. shared budget w/ my partner
3. allow import of csv or qfx files
4. can't require sync with bank
edit:
5. envelope/zero-based budgeting, in case that wasn't obvious

Only a few stick out in my memory:
- Buckets aka Budget with Buckets - Janky; iOS app is still in beta
- Goodbudget
- Pocketsmith
- Pocketguard - forced you to sync accounts so hard pass
- Buxfer - no txn splitting wtf

I also tried a few self hosted solutions but decided that was not worth the trouble.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 27, 2023

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I still use financier.io, which is 12 bucks a year but probably won't ever be updated again because it hasn't been in quite some time. it's fine, I haven't bothered looking for anything else for a while.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Which one of those apps (or something else not listed) works like YNAB but offers future planning? Like with YNAB I can budget what I have today into the future, but I’d like to be able to nerd out and plan my future budget with future earnings that I don’t have today but 100% expect to have baring something catastrophic. And then adjust accordingly as the time comes.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Which one of those apps (or something else not listed) works like YNAB but offers future planning? Like with YNAB I can budget what I have today into the future, but I’d like to be able to nerd out and plan my future budget with future earnings that I don’t have today but 100% expect to have baring something catastrophic. And then adjust accordingly as the time comes.

I mean, you can do that in YNAB, but it's against the entire concept of 'every dollar has a job, and you're working with money you actually have, not money you're imagining you'll have.'

I could go enter weekly deposits for my weekly paycheck for the next twelve months, then make my budgets against those deposits.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm pretty sure YNAB4 would let you put future transactions into your budget, but nYNAB treats anything with a future date as not an active transaction

Makes perfect sense, I get it, it follows the YNAB methodology, but it's another in the list of things I liked being able to do in YNAB4 that I can't do anymore (looking at you, carrying over negative balances)

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Sockser posted:

I'm pretty sure YNAB4 would let you put future transactions into your budget, but nYNAB treats anything with a future date as not an active transaction

Makes perfect sense, I get it, it follows the YNAB methodology, but it's another in the list of things I liked being able to do in YNAB4 that I can't do anymore (looking at you, carrying over negative balances)

Not carrying over a negative balance pisses me off so much because I learned of that when I paid for a work trip with my CC knowing I'd be reimbursed when the trip happened (and I was) but the balance didn't carry over for the negative account charge which just made things a mess to fix and annoyed me to no end

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Sockser posted:

Oh snap, yeah, I still use YNAB4.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

DoubleT2172 posted:

Not carrying over a negative balance pisses me off so much because I learned of that when I paid for a work trip with my CC knowing I'd be reimbursed when the trip happened (and I was) but the balance didn't carry over for the negative account charge which just made things a mess to fix and annoyed me to no end

THIS!!! It's such a pain in the rear end

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I still use financier.io, which is 12 bucks a year but probably won't ever be updated again because it hasn't been in quite some time. it's fine, I haven't bothered looking for anything else for a while.

I also have been using financier for ~8 years. It's a good very basic zero balance budgeting system, but nothing more than that.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
YNAB got really expensive. Surprised there isn’t a cheaper copycat that doesn’t suck royally.

Getting really fed up with certain banks always having imports delayed by weeks. Undermines everything. I’m sure some suit somewhere does this on purpose.

Still worth it though. Saw my partner go from economic chaos to good with money in under a year once the philosophy was laid out. Now I’m the jerk who isn’t categorizing my stuff. It would help if the whole month wouldn’t land in a day

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The next best thing I found in regards to decent form and function of a personal finance webapp is Lunch Money. But it doesn't do envelope budgeting, so bleh.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I made the jump to New YNAB and while I hate hate hate the way it handles credit cards now (or maybe I just haven't figured it out correctly) the auto-import saves me so much time. I suppose it's worth the yearly fee...

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Not a Children posted:

I made the jump to New YNAB and while I hate hate hate the way it handles credit cards now (or maybe I just haven't figured it out correctly) the auto-import saves me so much time. I suppose it's worth the yearly fee...

I got used to it but figuring out how to handle cash back transactions was unintuitive.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Create a new checking account, then copy/paste ALL of your transactions from your CC account to the new checking account, then delete the CC account. Link to bank as appropriate.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yikes, what a terrible color scheme and font selection.

I was already apathic in maintaining my poo poo, only updating it every couple of weeks, but I guess I'm out.

They had support for multiple color schemes before this update, but I guess can't have a decent palette. Colorblind mode for everyone (at least that's the explanation my mind made up for this poo poo).

Now I'm out of decent personal finance/envelope budgeting apps. :mad:

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t notice anything in dark mode

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I have no clue what happened, so I looked and found whatever this is:

https://x.com/ynab/status/1714354321159012828?s=20

I hate this guy for some reason.

Back to my YNAB4 cave now

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

From what I can tell, they just spent a lot of money on a redesign (including creating a custom font!) and then more money and time hyping it up.

The good news (for me) is that I don't really notice anything different except their dumb new colour. There was a change in the app's new transaction layout a couple weeks ago that was ok I guess.

The bad news (for them) is that I don't really notice anything different except their dumb new colour. Glad to know my annual sub is going to important work like this rather than boring poo poo like working with multiple currencies!

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

I don’t notice anything in dark mode

Same here, had no idea what this was about.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I like the weird little pop-up thing they added recently. The UI reskin in dark mode has a bit more contrast, which I personally like (viewing scheduled txns in the old UI was a bit tough sometimes, eyes are getting older :corsair:), but I also could have lived without. Font seems fine but again didn't have issues with the old one.

In dark mode the greens are definitely a bit brighter too. People that want dark mode to be both dark and low contrast are complaining about it elsewhere.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I don't like how I can't refresh my CC anymore :( Though I'm sure it all pulls in fine, it's just nice to click the "import" to check it sometimes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

greazeball posted:

The bad news (for them) is that I don't really notice anything different except their dumb new colour. Glad to know my annual sub is going to important work like this rather than boring poo poo like working with multiple currencies!
Better reports in mobile app. Seven years and still waiting.

Yea, that compounds my issue with this all. A custom font, really?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

They changed the blue they were using and I didn’t even notice a new font. Seems like a lot of money from those increased subscription prices for not a lot of return.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Dancing Peasant posted:

I have no clue what happened, so I looked and found whatever this is:

https://x.com/ynab/status/1714354321159012828?s=20

I hate this guy for some reason.

Back to my YNAB4 cave now

Why does YNAB as a company love to push this sort of almost parody-like pure strained corporate bullshit? Everything from their marketing material to customer service, even their careers/job descriptions.

YNAB as a method is amazing, but they wrap it in this absolutely emabrrasing facade of bullshit so I never recommend it anyone despite it literally changing my life.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah the emails they send out are super cringey. Even their release notes for iOS update are as well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They’re pretty high on their own supply. It was telling enough when they kept posting success stories of people/couples earning like 150K$+ while ostensibly still living from paycheck to paycheck. As if that is their core audience. They’ve dialled it back a bit after the community complained.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Harminoff posted:

I don't like how I can't refresh my CC anymore :( Though I'm sure it all pulls in fine, it's just nice to click the "import" to check it sometimes.

Fidelity is broken for good, I'm afraid.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I still don’t know how the gently caress credit cards work in this drat thing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I still don’t know how the gently caress credit cards work in this drat thing.

If you pay it off every month, just make it a checking account instead. Save yourself the hassle.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I keep the balance on my card either very low or paid off to 0 because I hate having outstanding debt, so.

I’ve been considering linking my HYSA, considering how often I move money to it. Good idea/bad idea?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 19, 2023

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If you really want to see some poo poo, check out how they looked to hire a Director of Product:

quote:

I wanted to reiterate our hiring process here, so that you can refer back to it as needed. (I'll keep you updated throughout, too!)

The application deadline is September 10th. Given the number of applications that we usually receive, we plan to make decisions about a week after that. I'll then let you know if you'll be moving on to the next stage. You'll definitely hear from me either way!

After that, the process should look something like this, with fewer people moving on to each step:

A written questionnaire (mid-Sept)
First video interview with 2-3 team members (early Oct)
A paid, skills-based project and a second video interview to review it together (mid-Oct)
Third video interview with another 2-3 team members (late Oct)
Fourth video interview with some of our executive team members (early Nov)
In-person interview with Todd (mid/late Nov)
Decision made (early Dec)
Whew! As you can imagine, we're coordinating with people all across the company, in a wide variety of timezones and with varying levels of availability. If any of these dates change, I’ll be sure to let you know as soon as we know.

We so appreciate your time and patience, and are excited to get to know you! Thank you again for applying.

More from us soon,

Amber & the YNAB team

P.S. While you wait, did you know that we made our very own mixtape of hit songs, rewritten with budgeting lyrics? You can check it out on our 404 page.

P.P.S. I'll be your main point of contact throughout this hiring process. Please add my email address <redacted> to your contacts list, so that all my future emails make it safely to your inbox.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Five interviews and paid homework? lmao

Latter surely isn't anything that'll ever find its way into the main product, given how little it changes.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Tech companies have absolutely psychotic interview processes so I am unsurprised that weirdos like the YNAB crew took it to some exceptional level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
poo poo even even internal hires in my company have to go through 3+ interviews