Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Oh this is perfect, I'm in year 1 of my csa and its chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I am deep in my CSA, and still would love ideas. Would love to see pictures of other farm's boxes too!

One of the things I just marvel at is the sheer amount and variety of food my CSA grows. The rare farm events, I love seeing all the things they have growing.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Fully onboard. Year 3 of a CSA and still trying to find best ways to store all the produce to last into the fall and early winter.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I like my CSA like 90% of the time, but a couple times a year it’s like “50% of this box is kohlrabi”, so I’d appreciate a thread giving me more ideas for what to do with so much kohlrabi/bok choi/various squash etc.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anno posted:

I like my CSA like 90% of the time, but a couple times a year it’s like “50% of this box is kohlrabi”, so I’d appreciate a thread giving me more ideas for what to do with so much kohlrabi/bok choi/various squash etc.

Kimchi, namul, or jeon

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are very few vegetables that don't make a decent ramen topping after a quick sautee

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Man making ramen at home is something I have wanted to try but for whatever reason seems like it’d be hard. At least to do “right” - I can get good ramen for relatively cheap down the street.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I liked the CSA I had a while ago, but the problem was they kept growing a ton of chicory and it was way too bitter for me. Most of the greens were bitter too.

I was tempted to join an apple CSA I found, but I had the suspicion that it was going to be a way for them to unload the old, no-longer popular varieties like red delicious or whatever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Casu Marzu posted:

Kimchi, namul, or jeon
This is the answer to 90% of my "what do I do with this" CSA problems.

Anno posted:

Man making ramen at home is something I have wanted to try but for whatever reason seems like it’d be hard. At least to do “right” - I can get good ramen for relatively cheap down the street.
Homemade ramen owns. At the start of the pandemic the only animal protein that I could reliably get locally was duck from a local CSA and I made a bunch of duck ramen and it's now one of my favourite things. Soooooo rich.

It also lead to a massive improvement in my speed and accuracy in breaking down birds. Haven't reached Martin Yan levels yet, but I went from fabricating a bird in like 10 minutes to under a minute.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ramen is one of those things I just also cannot imagine is going to be close enough to restaurant quality for me to make at home. Like they do their broths for 10 hours, are you really going to incur 20 bucks of electricity for a meal you can get perfect versions of for $15?

Duck Ramen goon, which noodles did you use?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

This is the answer to 90% of my "what do I do with this" CSA problems.

Homemade ramen owns. At the start of the pandemic the only animal protein that I could reliably get locally was duck from a local CSA and I made a bunch of duck ramen and it's now one of my favourite things. Soooooo rich.

It also lead to a massive improvement in my speed and accuracy in breaking down birds. Haven't reached Martin Yan levels yet, but I went from fabricating a bird in like 10 minutes to under a minute.

You can fabricate a bird? Is that godlike, or more like a Dr Frankenstein thing?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

VelociBacon posted:

Duck Ramen goon, which noodles did you use?
Handmade: high gluten flour, ~30-odd% hydration, a little alkaline water (sodium carbonate + water), overnight autolyse, mechanically rolled (on a Marcato Atlas) to ~1 mm.

therattle posted:

You can fabricate a bird? Is that godlike, or more like a Dr Frankenstein thing?
All that time choking the chicken finally paying off.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

Ramen is one of those things I just also cannot imagine is going to be close enough to restaurant quality for me to make at home. Like they do their broths for 10 hours, are you really going to incur 20 bucks of electricity for a meal you can get perfect versions of for $15?

What? Ramen at home is awesome.

My batches of ramen broth are typically enough for 15ish servings, and there is absolutely no way that is even remotely close to $20 of electricity. My power bill in summer in a house in Texas was like $210/month. I would be SHOCKED if it was more than $3 for a batch of ramen.

It’s also not hard to make at home broth as good or better than most ramen places. You can make it exactly how you want, and it freezes incredibly well.

The hard part is getting NOODLES as good as decent ramen joints.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

What? Ramen at home is awesome.

My batches of ramen broth are typically enough for 15ish servings, and there is absolutely no way that is even remotely close to $20 of electricity. My power bill in summer in a house in Texas was like $210/month. I would be SHOCKED if it was more than $3 for a batch of ramen.

It’s also not hard to make at home broth as good or better than most ramen places. You can make it exactly how you want, and it freezes incredibly well.

The hard part is getting NOODLES as good as decent ramen joints.

I guess the question then becomes why do ramen joints go through the labour they go through with the broth if it's not any better than what you can do at home? Unless I misunderstood and you do the insane long broth timings. Or is this just diminishing returns and you can get 90% of the way there in 3 hours? And yeah I've never had noodles as perfect as the ramen noodles in a restaurant although that part I do think you could figure out.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

I guess the question then becomes why do ramen joints go through the labour they go through with the broth if it's not any better than what you can do at home? Unless I misunderstood and you do the insane long broth timings. Or is this just diminishing returns and you can get 90% of the way there in 3 hours? And yeah I've never had noodles as perfect as the ramen noodles in a restaurant although that part I do think you could figure out.

They go through a poo poo ton of labor because they make 100-400 servings worth.

I do all the veg prep, charring and everything, with three additions of aromatics spaced out over 8-12hrs depending on type of broth, and it’s maybe an hour of actual labor at home, but that’s for 15ish servings. It’s mostly just sitting on the stove with zero interaction while I play video games/work in the yard/watch movies/take a 2 hour nap/whatever.

I can make very good noodles, but THAT is real work. I miss living in a place where I could get Sun noodles.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I feel like it's worth mentioning that you do not have to make tonkotsu broth from scratch in order to have good homemade ramen. You can make a rich chicken stock, for example, flavor it with tare, ginger and garlic, and have delicious ramen. People get hung up on tonkotsu being the only true ramen broth.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Ramen joints exist on the same principle as any other restaurant.

You're not paying for someone to provide a meal that's impossible to make at home, you're paying so you don't have to do the dishes tonight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah you shouldn't feel under any obligation to make Super Authentic Ramen Broth. If you ever have bones of any sort, just toss em in a slow cooker or instant pot and you'll have stock around for your eating pleasure.

For ramen I keep bonito flakes and dried shitakes around. If I decide I want to make ramen for supper, I'll grab some stock out of the freezer - beef chicken or pork can all make a good meal, and throw it on the stove and toss a few shitakes and some flakes in there, and then if I'm feeling really ambitious, I'll take the time to steep some kelp too. If there's not enough time to simmer them properly, I'll skip the shitakes. From there I just go with my heart with what else to add. I often finish the broth with soy sauce, fish sauce, memmi, or whatever else I'm in the mood for. I have three different kinds of chili oil I'll add if I'm in the mood for spice. Sesame oil is good too. Sometimes I'll soft boil eggs, or sometimes I'll make a quick tamago-style omelette and cut it up depending on how much time I have. Sometimes I have leftover meat to add, sometimes I don't bother. It's a really good vector for leftovers too. And there are tons of low-cost but delicious noodles available out there. I get this 2kg pack of dandan style noodles from a chinese grocery for like ca$7, or or udon, or other times I just get stick "ramen" noodles, which are a bit pricier.

Authentic according to the strictest dictates of the Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka Triumvirate of Ramen councils? No, but the more that I watch stuff on ramen the more I realise that nobody is using the same noodles, broth, or toppings anyway. Delicious? Absolutely. Make tasty broth, add noodles, and top with tasty bits. Even the rushed version, which takes the amount of time to make as it takes to turn frozen stock into soup broth, is extremely satisfying.

I also like to keep a few packs of nicer instant ramen around. The good instant ramens are also great places to use up stuff.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I do a decent vegan ramen using dried shiitakes and tahini. I’ve just bought some kombu to add an extra dimension. It’s intended as a relatively quick and easy meal. After making the stock I’ll cook some veg in it (something like carrots, broccoli and mushrooms) and add some tofu for protein. Sesame oil and soy sauce feature. Inauthentic as hell. Easy, tasty and nutritious though.

It’s probably more ramen-inspired by that point but shits I give? Zero.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What's a nice brand of instant ramen?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Has anyone experienced jalapeñogate?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7265045322903162154

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My peppers this year have all been correct to seed except one of the Chinese 5 colors is all purple for some reason

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm not like an instant ramen connoisseur or anything, but I've had the Soon veggie ramen before and liked it better than the usual stuff. I felt the noodles were a big step up; more springy texture and not super soft. It's got a little dehydrated veggie packet which tbh doesn't do a whole lot for me, and the broth isn't crazy either. It's also spicy so if you don't want spicy ramen don't get that one.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I like shin black well enough, I usually top it with some fresh or sautéed veg and whatever protein, usually leftover roast chicken.

e: if you want to get fancier, the momofuku dry noods are also fine, I like mom’s dry noods and the laksa lamian or curry noods from prima taste.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 9, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are some Nissin ones that I love but the package has no English on it. They're mostly solid primary colours.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

There are some Nissin ones that I love but the package has no English on it. They're mostly solid primary colours.

I get that it's not English but on the off chance you aren't anglophone only, do you know what is written on the packaging? I think I've seen Nissin here and want to get the Right Boys.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

momofuku noodles aren't nearly good enough to justify their obscene price tag

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I get that it's not English but on the off chance you aren't anglophone only, do you know what is written on the packaging? I think I've seen Nissin here and want to get the Right Boys.

The Nissin Raoh branded ones are pretty dope

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

The Nissin Raoh branded ones are pretty dope

Thank you! Will keep an eye out.

I remember when I first got a forums account I thought about doing a big instant ramen shootout thread but I quickly got busy shitposting and forgot about it. Someone should do it for the greater good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Raoh that's it. I haven't been able to get my hands on em for a while so I couldn't remember or else I would have been more specific.

The red ones are the best.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I... think I may have gotten hit by this. Just yesterday my wife and I were like "that doesn't look like a jalapeno" in our garden. "That doesn't really even look like a jalapeno plant..."

This makes me miss the "mystery seeds" of the lockdowns.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
We had some volunteer plants that I thought were weird lettuce at first until my friend came by and complimented our wonderful patch of opium poppies.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Thank you! Will keep an eye out.

I remember when I first got a forums account I thought about doing a big instant ramen shootout thread but I quickly got busy shitposting and forgot about it. Someone should do it for the greater good.

My partner leaves town next week for a couple days and I’m a well known bachelor chow fiend when she does…

Hauki
May 11, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

momofuku noodles aren't nearly good enough to justify their obscene price tag

they’re almost $0.37 more per serving than shin black, truly obscene

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This is why we need the thread, is it obscene? It's it very reasonable? I have no idea!

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Here’s the CSA thread, in case people are in their bookmarks. I’m definitely an amateur about a lot of this so I’d love to see what other folks have come up with. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4038809&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Thanks! I pick mine up after work and will make post :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Is this… a good idea

mystes
May 31, 2006

I thought premixed alcoholic drinks containing caffeine had been banned

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeinated_alcoholic_drink#:~:text=The%20FDA%20did%20not%20approve,drinks%20cannot%20be%20legally%20marketed.

Has the FDA changed its opinion since then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mystes posted:

I thought premixed alcoholic drinks containing caffeine had been banned

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeinated_alcoholic_drink#:~:text=The%20FDA%20did%20not%20approve,drinks%20cannot%20be%20legally%20marketed.

Has the FDA changed its opinion since then?

I believe the specifics of the FDA ban include the addition of caffeine to a premixed alcoholic beverage - which allowed companies like 4Loko to add a lot more caffeine to a given drink. I also can't find any proof that these actually contain caffeine, they could just be coffee/tea flavored drinks.