Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I regularly shout at my tv "What the hell is wrong with you don't do that" whenever a horror character goes off on their own. I even do this during movies that I have already seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Escape Room is one of the most by the numbers death game stories I seen, lol. I think the only thing missing was a taunting mascot. Still fun though, the set design is nifty.

I will now watch Tournament of Champions.

Actual line from the movie

It owns

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

I guess you were right not to google that. The GIS results aren’t exactly fun.

Eugh, sorry. I wouldna dropped the reference if I knew people were gonna look at photos. I never have, the descriptions are awful and sad enough.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Anyone else watch so many goddamn horror movies that other than a few specific ones after several years you can go back and watch something you've watched before and its like a brand new experience.

yeah all the time

i also keep forgetting how bad the sequels get for stuff like Hellraiser, SAW etc and end up trying to rewatch them all and its always so painful and im like never again

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Phy posted:

Eugh, sorry. I wouldna dropped the reference if I knew people were gonna look at photos. I never have, the descriptions are awful and sad enough.

O no, I got your reference and enjoyed it.

I was originally just going to give a lmgtfy link, but I decided to pretend to not be a dick and made something up instead.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid we rented movies incessantly, and we also diligently recorded everything we watched. Our private collection was almost entirely our bootlegged VHS tapes with 3 movies per tape. They're long gone, but I wish I at least had a picture of the labels or a list or something. I'm sure there's many combinations of 2 to 3 movies that I just saw all the time because they were all together on the same tape.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i had a vhs copy of Aliens that i taped from tv as a kid. now i'm always shocked when i see it without the last five minutes of Simpsons "Flaming Moes" episode before it

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just watched The Descent (for about the fifth time) followed by Evil Dead Rise (first time)

Oh, what a night it has been!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Tournament of Champions is better than the first. I called the twist on who the real baddie was B) But I was also watching the extended cut, and from what I read after finishing the movie that theatrical cut sounds bad, lol.

Anyway I had fun. I would watch more of these, they should make more of them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Best horror movies where the vast majority of the film takes place in one room, go.

My vote for Fermat's Room. Consolation prize goes to 1408.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Bug

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

MrMojok posted:

All the time. I did a lot of this until they got wise and started using something called “Macrovision” or similar that would somehow scramble any copy you tried to make.

Even when there was no copy protection you had a low-res VHS tape, connected to another VCR by those old red/white cables recording to another VHS tape and the grain and picture on your new copy was awful.

But it was still quite cool back then!

I probably have my old Macrovision crackerbox buried somewhere. Copied tapes didn't scramble, but did come out a skosh darker than normal. It was a fair enough trade off considering.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

Best horror movies where the vast majority of the film takes place in one room, go.

The Exam
The Circle
Would you rather?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
First thing we did with our vcr was tape Donner's Superman off tv. My sister talked during it and I shushed her, we're recording right now!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jedit posted:

I mean, the obvious gold standard answer is Evil Dead, right?

Honourable mention to Saw 1.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
There might be some outside scenes but I remember most of the very cool Faults (2014) taking place in the hotel room (and bathroom)

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ambitious Spider posted:

The Exam
The Circle
Would you rather?

This is good a time as any to bring this up, but I absolutely love movies where characters are facing a very defined situation/set of circumstances/etc. and have to deduce the rules and use logic and strategy to survive. These are typically horror/thriller/survival movies, but I guess they don't have to exclusively fall into that for me to enjoy them. Exam and Circle are two examples that got me thinking. The Cube series, of course. The Platform. Coherence. Triangle becomes something in this vein. Devil (the elevator one). Frozen (the ski lift one). You can be pretty loose with this definition, though. I think a very early example for me was Night of the Living Dead (being trapped in the house, figuring out how to fortify it, plans to find a vehicle, plans in case of a breach, etc.)

Anyway, I am always, always on the lookout for stuff like this. Even relatively mediocre ones.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Crescent Wrench posted:

This is good a time as any to bring this up, but I absolutely love movies where characters are facing a very defined situation/set of circumstances/etc. and have to deduce the rules and use logic and strategy to survive. These are typically horror/thriller/survival movies, but I guess they don't have to exclusively fall into that for me to enjoy them. Exam and Circle are two examples that got me thinking. The Cube series, of course. The Platform. Coherence. Triangle becomes something in this vein. Devil (the elevator one). Frozen (the ski lift one). You can be pretty loose with this definition, though. I think a very early example for me was Night of the Living Dead (being trapped in the house, figuring out how to fortify it, plans to find a vehicle, plans in case of a breach, etc.)

Anyway, I am always, always on the lookout for stuff like this. Even relatively mediocre ones.

Giant genre shift, but have you read Project Hail Mary? It’s from Andy Weird, The Martian guy, and it is literally 90% people solving bizarre alien physics problems through experimentation.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Giant genre shift, but have you read Project Hail Mary? It’s from Andy Weird, The Martian guy, and it is literally 90% people solving bizarre alien physics problems through experimentation.

Ooh. No, I have not, but sci-fi is my genre of choice when it comes to literature so that's going on the list.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
RIP Billy. I'm blaming David Gordon Green for this.
"Who's doing it? The schmuck who directed Pineapple Express and Your Highness? Oh gently caress me!"

Also finally started watching some moorhead/Benson stuff. Resolution was pretty nifty, getting into The Endless next.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Going back to VHS chat for a moment, the $90 price point thing for distributors was something that stuck around for a long long time. I remember seeing a catalog of new purchasable titles at the local Phar-Mor - sort of a small Southern drug store chain a la Rite Aid - that used to rent movies and games. I was interested in potentially getting a copy of Tomorrow Never Dies, the first Bond film I'd seen in theaters, but it was priced at $100 in 1998 money. Cheaper to buy a copy of "GoldenEye 007" and an extra controller for the N64 than to get one single VHS tape before its public release street date lol.

But, it wasn't all bad for those distributors - sometimes they got goofy pitch videos with the stars to try to pitch them on the smart financial business of buying copies of smaller and mid-budget films for their stores. Like this one, starring Chucky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7irP3CTyDsg

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Horror blindness strikes again with me watching The Sentinel then realizing I've seen it 45 minutes in.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bug is so loving good. Ripd Willy

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Waiting for someone in the thread to say Killer Joe is their favorite friedkin so I can immediately report them to the authorities. Good movie but you should be somewhere where you can't hurt people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I rewatched his To Live and Die in L.A. recently and I really appreciated how he wrote the main "protagonist" as a complete piece of poo poo and then has him get shotgunned in the face at the end. William Peterson was great in the role too, he's swaggering around in his tight 80s jeans and just being a total rear end in a top hat to everyone he meets and by the end of the movie you hate his guts.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Class3KillStorm posted:

Going back to VHS chat for a moment, the $90 price point thing for distributors was something that stuck around for a long long time. I remember seeing a catalog of new purchasable titles at the local Phar-Mor - sort of a small Southern drug store chain a la Rite Aid - that used to rent movies and games. I was interested in potentially getting a copy of Tomorrow Never Dies, the first Bond film I'd seen in theaters, but it was priced at $100 in 1998 money. Cheaper to buy a copy of "GoldenEye 007" and an extra controller for the N64 than to get one single VHS tape before its public release street date lol.

But, it wasn't all bad for those distributors - sometimes they got goofy pitch videos with the stars to try to pitch them on the smart financial business of buying copies of smaller and mid-budget films for their stores. Like this one, starring Chucky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7irP3CTyDsg

Never forget the Terminator 2 VHS promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9frKVo6-1M

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Looks like this is getting turned into a movie with Ryan Gosling

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Waiting for someone in the thread to say Killer Joe is their favorite friedkin so I can immediately report them to the authorities. Good movie but you should be somewhere where you can't hurt people.

i mean it’s probably top 3

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

shoeberto posted:

Never forget the Terminator 2 VHS promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9frKVo6-1M

lol, Robert Patrick is putting the work in.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Loved Ones doesn't quite take place in a single room, as there are sequences outside before the main action as well as intermittent scenes following another character, but the main horror all happens in a single area and it's awesome.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Basebf555 posted:

I rewatched his To Live and Die in L.A. recently and I really appreciated how he wrote the main "protagonist" as a complete piece of poo poo and then has him get shotgunned in the face at the end. William Peterson was great in the role too, he's swaggering around in his tight 80s jeans and just being a total rear end in a top hat to everyone he meets and by the end of the movie you hate his guts.

To Live and Die in L.A. is phenomenal. Just a unbelievably great film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's his Wolf Of Wall Street.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
In a 1970s kind of mood so continuing my horror day with Messiah of Evil which I vaguely remember.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Great pick

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Looks like this is getting turned into a movie with Ryan Gosling

Lmao.

Weir has three novels, The Martian got a movie and was his first. Project Hail Mary, his third, is also getting a movie.

His second, Artemis, doesn’t. Anyone wanna guess why? The protagonist is an African woman.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Killer Joe isn't even top 5 Friedkin. That's TLADILA, Cruising, The Exorcist, Sorcerer and The French Connection.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Messiah of Evil owns

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Cruising is real problematic film. I mean I like it but its got some issues.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's kinda Friedkin's whole deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It feels like an Italian remake of Carnival of Souls despite the fact that it's as American as apple pie.