Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the state departments main job is to do diplomacy so you get stuff like the big pan-western give-weapons-to-ukraine party. passports and immigration and stuff are an important job but not the main job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

RDM posted:

The largest American producer of 155mm shells during WW1 was the American Car and Foundry Company, and there were something like 50 different companies contracted to produce shells spread over the northeast and midwest

Do those companies and factories still exist 106 years later? Currently the US produces this ammunition in two locations: the Scranton plant I linked earlier and a General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems facility in Wilkes Barre. There's a third facility for actually filling and fuzing the shells in Iowa.

The Army is also currently under contract to build another facility with a Canadian company, and is building yet another factory in Texas with General Dynamics. The Army put 2.5 billion into modernizing shell production and increasing production capacity and the Iowa filling and fuzing facility is being expanded along with a new production facility being constructed in Kansas.

That is a lot of infrastructure and investment for an ammunition caliber nobody thought would be required again in the amounts that are needed because shell production takes years to spin up, and years ago nobody who could have done anything about this thought Russia would smash itself to bits in a near-peer war.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 8, 2023

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

RDM posted:

Do you think visas are an American right wing conspiracy?

US Visas do not have a language requirement. Neither does temporary or permanent residence. The only language requirement is if the immigrant qualifies for and wants to apply for US Citizenship.

Different country, different rules though. If a country requires knowledge of the local language for long-term residency, then people who move to that country should learn the language or expect to eventually lose their legal status.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

OctaMurk posted:

In 1917, the US produced 17,000 155mm shells per day with vastly inferior technology. During the Vietnam War, the US lost literally 5,000 helicopters and it was fine because we just made more. If the political willpower existed to simply order industry to make poo poo then Ukraine wouldnt have any shortages. The increase in shells is promising for the Ukrainian Army but small in historical terms. You have to wonder, if this war is really that important then why are European countries and the US not doing more to just take control of their industrial capacities to actually make some poo poo? They either dont really care that much, or are way too bought into the free market for something that should really be under heavy government control

It’s absolutely worth the cost to equip Ukraine for the US than it would be to give Russia some more targets to aim at by building/amping up war factories while open hostilities are taking place.

The US supplying Ukraine is not the same as the US fighting for Ukraine to avoid direct head to head conflict and as long as Russia is willing to let it slide then it makes sense to wait until the war is over to start building up their war machine.

As I recall, wasn’t the Azov fortress a major soviet tank factory? The Russians blasted that place to the point of no return.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ishikabibble posted:

Most immigrants I know don't have many positive things to say about being in the US on a visa :shrug:

Hell, a friend of mine is an immigrant from the Netherlands and was advised by two different immigration lawyers that the best way for them to settle in the US with their partner is some ridiculous scheme of overstaying a travel visa and then marrying. The marriage was the plan anyways, but it is kind of absurd that's the only path forward that won't take literal years to make happen.

As a guy who has navigated the process with a foreign girlfriend, the system is incredibly broken and terrible. I have instead begun to live in her country half the time because it was incredibly easy for me to become a legal permanent resident there. Our immigration system is hosed.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

It’s absolutely worth the cost to equip Ukraine for the US than it would be to give Russia some more targets to aim at by building/amping up war factories while open hostilities are taking place.

The US supplying Ukraine is not the same as the US fighting for Ukraine to avoid direct head to head conflict and as long as Russia is willing to let it slide then it makes sense to wait until the war is over to start building up their war machine.

As I recall, wasn’t the Azov fortress a major soviet tank factory? The Russians blasted that place to the point of no return.

Azovstal was one of the largest and most modern steelworks facilities in Europe when it opened in 1933 and up to 12,000 workers and their families lived there or nearby in Mariupol. Absolutely enormous facility. The tank production you're talking about was at Kharkiv:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malyshev_Factory

(Russia also blasted that place to smithereens)

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I like the idea that Russia believed enough of it's own propaganda it feeds to the right wing here about how our military is all 'woke' and all the soldiers are trans and all our factories make are flowers or whatever poo poo you hear on Fox News and forgot we barely touched the dial to supply Ukraine so far.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

I like the idea that Russia believed enough of it's own propaganda it feeds to the right wing here about how our military is all 'woke' and all the soldiers are trans and all our factories make are flowers or whatever poo poo you hear on Fox News and forgot we barely touched the dial to supply Ukraine so far.

Yeah I love reading hot takes from people saying ''that what's going on in Ukraine this just shows NATO couldn't win a conventional war against Russia'' or bangers like ''lol NATO sucks and doesn't have as much artilery shells as Russia''. Just casually ignoring that dumb shell artillery is not the main doctrine of NATO.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If Russia did not have nuclear weapons then this war would have been over last year and Russia would be demilitarized. Russia is getting ground into dust with the stuff NATO found in its couch and basement. They have no chance in a conventional fight against NATO lol. It would be a laughably one sided fight and would have been even without 1.5 years of military attrition. Russia's artillery advantage would mean gently caress all because the US would just fill the sky with tomahawks and long range air launched ground-strike missiles

Like, really. Giving F-16s is considered a huge step up in Ukrainian air capabilities and the F-16 is a 40+ year old fighter that out performs everything Russia currently has up to and possibly including the Su-35 and then you realize the US wouldn't be attacking with F-16s, they'd be using F-35s :lmao:

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 8, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dwesa posted:

"They said, ‘Guys, this isn't right, we're making concessions, but you're not conceding anything!' And in response, we said to them, 'Well, what's the problem? We are a great power, and you are just Switzerland!' Almost in those exact words. That's [Russian] diplomacy for you," says Bondarev.
"such is life" without the cliche phrase

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Problem with that approach to foreign policy, is when your country is no longer a superpower.

Then you have to concede everything to the actual superpowers.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/e3JTimA.mp4

Western homonazi brigades that Russia has been warning us about fabulously marching towards the front.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tai posted:

Yeah I love reading hot takes from people saying ''that what's going on in Ukraine this just shows NATO couldn't win a conventional war against Russia'' or bangers like ''lol NATO sucks and doesn't have as much artilery shells as Russia''. Just casually ignoring that dumb shell artillery is not the main doctrine of NATO.

Also ignoring that the US alone has given Ukraine something like 2 million 155mm shells without impacting the US readiness stance in any appreciable way according to the DoD.

The actual US stockpile is unknown because the DoD doesn't release that information (and based on their ability to pass audits, probably has absolutely no idea), but the stockpile of 155mm cluster munitions IS known - 5.5 million.

So pretty sure even with the significant number of shells given to Ukraine, the US isn't gonna run out anytime soon, and new shell production is as we all know ramping up significantly to about 85,000 shells per month next year.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

HonorableTB posted:

The Army is also currently under contract to build another facility with a Canadian company, and is building yet another factory in Texas with General Dynamics. The Army put 2.5 billion into modernizing shell production and increasing production capacity and the Iowa filling and fuzing facility is being expanded along with a new production facility being constructed in Kansas.
i live like 60 miles away from the project in Kansas and it's really difficult to understate the size of this expansion. i think they're over doubling both the square footage and the head count, which is supposed to like 4-5x the production. the plans were underway well before the invasion, kansas city bigwigs have been loving creaming themselves non-stop on it.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 8, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tigey posted:

Problem with that approach to foreign policy, is when your country is no longer a superpower.

Then you have to concede everything to the actual superpowers.

The Russian government hasn't really learned anything about foreign policy during the last 30 years when it hasn't really been a proper superpower anymore, just a massively corrupt ruling-elite ran gas station with a nuclear arsenal that has the population of Germany and economical power of Italy running an alliance of post USSR countries that keeps having internal conflicts all the time.

Everyone just humored them because it was more convenient than seeing them do their passive-aggressive and sometimes outright hostile poo poo with the neighboring countries. 2nd war in Chechnya, Moldova, Georgia and Crimea excluded obviously, something more effective should have been done back then.

EDIT: I personally think that especially EU tolerated the "Russia is doing a military showoff by violating airspace and national waters", or "Russia is doing really shady business deals", and "Russia is directly funding factions destabilizing western societies" for too long, emboldening them to do more and more outright hostile stuff. But yes, Before February 24st 2022 business was all that mattered, and "Russia just does those assholish things, its just their way".

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 8, 2023

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

pro starcraft loser posted:

"The gay armies of the west are curb stomping us so hard empire daddy" would be super funny if people weren't dying over this dumbassery every day.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Authoritarians gently caress yourselves instead of others.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Yeah it's almost like one certain authoritarian can stop all the death and destruction with a single phone call at any time or something

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Remind me again what law Russia just passed about... something... I can't quite remember. All these Gonzalo Lira videos have affected my memory.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Gonzalo lira's arrest photo should be the new probation avatar

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HonorableTB posted:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Remind me again what law Russia just passed about... something... I can't quite remember. All these Gonzalo Lira videos have affected my memory.

Don't drink the water. They put something in it, to make you forget.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

I suppose it would work in GiP, if nothing else.

also:
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1688978775202029569
:troll:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Whats the over-under on Russia firing a missile into that statue, +-2 weeks

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

i'd laugh if it was the same outsourced dude on fiverr that done both of those

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

HonorableTB posted:

Whats the over-under on Russia firing a missile into that statue, +-2 weeks

They might fire one *at* that statue, but it'll fly into three day care centers and a hospital.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Not only has Putin's actions made NATO larger, stronger and more prepared he's driving the US (and other opposed nations) into updating and expanding manufacturing and logistics for munitions and weapons systems.

:thumbsup:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol Serendipitously, this came out earlier today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKs0z8-UxeE

(Content warning: There are some photos of Bucha that show dead collapse people at 14:45, nothing particularly graphic though)

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 8, 2023

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

They didn't think they could outproduce Americans, that's why they wanted to capture Kyiv and murder the government on day one. If the world has been presented with a fait accompli and no central power to support, it would have been a Russian victory. Now they hope they can outlast the Americans politically.

:rubby:

Americans are getting to see Uncle Sam's Toys™ kicking commie rear end with none of the downsides, like "American soldiers doing war crimes" or "American soldiers accidentally friendly fired a whole squad of soldiers" or "American soldiers coming home in body bags for a Very Presidential Pmurt to mock them," so good luck convincing them their tax monies that buy hella guns are doing something wrong. No way Americans are going to get tired of third parties having an armed conflict; hell, Americans can't even bother to remember the Canadian and Mexican prime ministers unless it's big news in the U.S., they're so geocentric.

ishikabibble posted:

There isn't the money on the table, that's the biggest issue.

The 'billions' in aid that have been given to Ukraine so far has been mostly in already existing equipment sitting unused in US stores that was determined to not detrimentally affect US military readiness if passed on to Ukraine. The only 'value' it had was more for accountability than anything actually monetary - if it didn't go to Ukraine, then it would've just kept sitting for decades more before being cut up and sold as scrap.

It's an entirely different matter to actually spend to spin up new production, as that's suddenly now taking money out of the US budget and allocating it towards that.

Nah, now that there's space, the MIC needs to "replenish the inventory" and that means either resupplying with similar, or buying into the new hot materiel, and both options are MIC-backed with Uncle Sam cutting the fattest check.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

zone posted:

I suppose it would work in GiP, if nothing else.

also:
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1688978775202029569
:troll:

at least this new version doesn't have the forgotten street lamp at the end like the original

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

bad_fmr posted:

https://i.imgur.com/e3JTimA.mp4

Western homonazi brigades that Russia has been warning us about fabulously marching towards the front.

The head of the Home Guard was on a Harley in uniform with the Dykes on Bikes at the very beginning of the parade, and was loving awesome.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Mainly talking about Japan as a whole. I mean the entire society at that time was under total mobilization culturally and Industrially. Ready to die at a moments notice for the empire/emperor. Even if there were divisions. They were not divided on dying just how to die when and why.

This isnt meant to be some racist caricature or anything. Japan in WW2 has the fiercest warriors of the war.

Russia would Love To have the culture that Japan did at this time. Because they wouldn't have to nab people off the street. They'd be lining up in droves To fight.

My whole point is they call out Japans culture whole also wanting the exaxt thing they call out.

One thing I've always appreciated about american WWII grunts, that while there was exceptions like marine raiders and army rangers, there was largely a vague indifference they had to it all compared to the rest of of the big five fighting an existential war for survival.

Also I like the 'rag bag' u.s. uniforms way more than fancy nazi poo poo. The former says "we're here to do an awful, terrible job and then go home".

Mistle posted:

:rubby:

Americans are getting to see Uncle Sam's Toys™ kicking commie rear end with none of the downsides, like "American soldiers doing war crimes" or "American soldiers accidentally friendly fired a whole squad of soldiers" or "American soldiers coming home in body bags for a Very Presidential Pmurt to mock them," so good luck convincing them their tax monies that buy hella guns are doing something wrong. No way Americans are going to get tired of third parties having an armed conflict; hell, Americans can't even bother to remember the Canadian and Mexican prime ministers unless it's big news in the U.S., they're so geocentric..

Counterpoint, abandoning ukraine would Own The Libs, and therefore, the chuds are extremely schizophrenic on this war.

quote:

Nah, now that there's space, the MIC needs to "replenish the inventory" and that means either resupplying with similar, or buying into the new hot materiel, and both options are MIC-backed with Uncle Sam cutting the fattest check.

Isn't the changeover to 6.5 cartridge a naked cashgrab or does it actually have ballistic properties not covered by either 5.56 or 7.62?

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 8, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mistle posted:

; hell, Americans can't even bother to remember the Canadian and Mexican prime ministers unless it's big news in the U.S., they're so geocentric.

To be fair to us Americans, Mexico doesn't have a prime minister.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

The American system is a nightmare that nobody should have to deal with it but also has nothing to do with the Latvian immigration requirements
I worked in Syria for awhile in the 90's, when it was a pretty cool place. Adopted a cat. When it came time to leave, the loving paperwork to take the cat with me was crazy. I had to get a paper stamp (like a postage stamp) from 3 different Syrian bureaus to affix on the very official looking papers. And also a pic of the cat from a passport office for the papers. Anyway, when it was all done, and I showed it to my Syrian friends, it was like, "I get tossed to the curb but your loving cat got a visa? Ya Mohammed!"

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The reason the US wants the 6.8 is to make sure a bullet can penetrate ballistic armor vests that are now becoming popular with Russian forces as well as Russian allies, and the 5.56 was not as effective at penetrating the armored vests.

The 6.8 was also chosen after considering going back to the 7.62, but the 7.62 was even heavier than the 6.8, so the 6.8 was a good compromise between weight, range, and armor penetration.

So there is a lot more that was considered than just weight and number of rounds that can be carried. 38 rounds of 5.56 weigh a pound, while 28 rounds of 6.8 weigh a pound, so 10 rounds seem like a lot, but due to the terminal velocity of the 6.8 will significantly increase the chances of incapacitation with a first-round hit, thus the need for more rounds will not be necessary like it would for the 5.56.

But the 5.56 is not going away, because it is a good round for fast close quarters fighting within 100 meters like in urban fighting.

Tldr: bigger bullet brings better boom

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 8, 2023

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Tunicate posted:

To be fair to us Americans, Mexico doesn't have a prime minister.
Fine, they've got un primer ministro, happy now

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

The reason the US wants the 6.8 is to make sure a bullet can penetrate ballistic armor vests that are now becoming popular with Russian forces as well as Russian allies, and the 5.56 was not as effective at penetrating the armored vests.

The 6.8 was also chosen after considering going back to the 7.62, but the 7.62 was even heavier than the 6.8, so the 6.8 was a good compromise between weight, range, and armor penetration.

So there is a lot more that was considered than just weight and number of rounds that can be carried. 38 rounds of 5.56 weigh a pound, while 28 rounds of 6.8 weigh a pound, so 10 rounds seem like a lot, but due to the terminal velocity of the 6.8 will significantly increase the chances of incapacitation with a first-round hit, thus the need for more rounds will not be necessary like it would for the 5.56.

But the 5.56 is not going away, because it is a good round for fast close quarters fighting within 100 meters like in urban fighting.

Tldr: bigger bullet brings better boom
But why do you need 6.8 when private conscriptovich stole all the armor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ronwayne posted:

Isn't the changeover to 6.5 cartridge a naked cashgrab or does it actually have ballistic properties not covered by either 5.56 or 7.62?

The short version is yes and no. Under 400 yards it's extremely comparible to 7.62x51mm NATO, but at farther ranges its advantages are more clear cut. For example, from some googlin' :

Bearcreekarsenal.com posted:

Cutting to the chase, the (purple line) .308 shows a final drop at 900 yards of about 25 feet, while the (green line) .277 Fury drops about 16 feet at that distance. Given the fact that the Fury’s bullet started at around 3,000 fps, it isn’t rocket science to figure that the bullet from that rifle would retain energy and show less drop than any of the other calibers shown here. The ballistic coefficient of .277 Fury's 140-grain bullet is higher than that of the .308 so it will hang on to velocity at longer ranges.

The new rifle cartridge is 6.8x51, also known as the .277 Sig Fury

e; also what HonorableTB said, more energy retained = more armor it can penetrate. And you want harder hitting rounds for more than just dudes wearing ballistic vests, it's better at punching through walls and small trees and poo poo too

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 8, 2023