Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I can understand charging more than they did for WHII but $25 is insane -- that's as much as the Chorfs were, which included 3 LLs and one LH as well but also an entire new race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

yeesh, thats steep, but the new stuff does look pretty cool

will likely pick it up a year from now. still many races and lords that i havent tried yet

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

25? Man alive!!!!

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

personal finance post!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

$25 and no content for Franz? Please

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
It's borderline impossible for CA to argue that this is worth the same as a whole race DLC

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

This DLC looks cool but I'm really looking forward to the next one with Nurgle/Empire/Dwarfs

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You can still get four LLs in Champions of Chaos for $16 and Ogre Kingdoms for two LLs and a full faction for $12. S25 for Chorfs was acceptable for 3 LLs, a nearly LL effort LH and a full faction, possibly the last hurrah and final piece of the core factions fantasy.

This $25 seems to be in bad faith. :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The content creators are going to be fuming!!!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What's crazy is I think this would've been better received if it was three separate $10 bundles for each race.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What's crazy is I think this would've been better received if it was three separate $10 bundles for each race.

I wouldn't be too surprised if we get a pack like that at some point for a lord like Thanquol.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

On the bright side, Aekold is free. So I can just play WoC again and just put off another actual Tzeentch campaign until a price drop. Or until I break down and grudgingly buy it at this incredibly dumb price - whichever comes first.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I don't think I have ever regretted buying DLC for CA's Warhammer and it's not like we are getting one every 2-3 months, like in Warhammer 2 era.. So I pre-ordered it. Yes I know, people like me are ruining gaming, I'm sorry. :v:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
If people don't buy it at this price, they'll probably drop the price eventually, or lower the price for future DLCs. If people do buy it at this price, then it was probably the right call for them to raise the price.

There's still tons of factions I haven't played a campaign for, so it's not like I'm desperate for new LLs anyway.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dandywalken posted:

The content creators are going to be fuming!!!

Someone get the union on the line

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

25 dollars post

(I'm not buying it until they drop more info on cathay additions anyway)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

wedgie deliverer posted:

This DLC looks cool but I'm really looking forward to the next one with Nurgle/Empire/Dwarfs

Same, it's almost certainly gonna be Elspeth v. Tamurkhan and both of those lords sound way cooler than these

Wonder who the dwarf lord's gonna be

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Anyways, regarding Aekold. For anyone not familiar with his rules (given he's VERY old), he basically had two unique ones, of which one's been reasonably mentioned but the other hasn't.

The first is the Breath of Life, which gives regeneration both to him and to everyone in contact with him, friend or foe. He also had a 50/50 chance of just not counting for VP for the opponent if slain, as he'd presumably just stood up after the battle and wandered off.

The latter part is incredibly easy to implement, as we've already got multiple examples of lords with healing bursts when below a certain HP threshold, so presumably he'll follow that model. For the first part, him gaining regen (or some unique variant) is obvious, but I am curious about the second portion - will he just gain an aura of healing friendlies like a few undead things or Festus, or will it be something that actually affects enemies too?

The second unique part is his greatsword, the Windblade. Its rules were randomized each game, with chances of it either granting him flight, giving him Always Strikes First, or giving him a shooting attack representing him being able to throw it at people. I'm very dubious that they'll actually randomize what he does each battle, so presumably he'll have some mix of those abilities. The question is whether it'll be mutually exclusive options in the skill tree, or if they'll all be available. Flight is the easy one to directly implement, and being an infantry model would be a very nice increase in speed, a shooting attack is obviously doable, but not I'm sure how ASF would actually be represented.

Oh, and because he's from the time where taking Mark of Tzeentch was HOW you made someone a Tzeentch caster, he's a mid-tier wizard too.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they have upfront said the randomization for blue scribes is happening so why not aekold

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Lord Koth posted:

Anyways, regarding Aekold. For anyone not familiar with his rules (given he's VERY old), he basically had two unique ones, of which one's been reasonably mentioned but the other hasn't.

The first is the Breath of Life, which gives regeneration both to him and to everyone in contact with him, friend or foe. He also had a 50/50 chance of just not counting for VP for the opponent if slain, as he'd presumably just stood up after the battle and wandered off.

The latter part is incredibly easy to implement, as we've already got multiple examples of lords with healing bursts when below a certain HP threshold, so presumably he'll follow that model. For the first part, him gaining regen (or some unique variant) is obvious, but I am curious about the second portion - will he just gain an aura of healing friendlies like a few undead things or Festus, or will it be something that actually affects enemies too?

The second unique part is his greatsword, the Windblade. Its rules were randomized each game, with chances of it either granting him flight, giving him Always Strikes First, or giving him a shooting attack representing him being able to throw it at people. I'm very dubious that they'll actually randomize what he does each battle, so presumably he'll have some mix of those abilities. The question is whether it'll be mutually exclusive options in the skill tree, or if they'll all be available. Flight is the easy one to directly implement, and being an infantry model would be a very nice increase in speed, a shooting attack is obviously doable, but not I'm sure how ASF would actually be represented.

Oh, and because he's from the time where taking Mark of Tzeentch was HOW you made someone a Tzeentch caster, he's a mid-tier wizard too.

Good stuff. ASF is probably just a buff that gives move speed and MA. Maybe throw some vigor Regen for flavor.

It could also be a bound version of that Slannesh spell, phantasm something or another.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hopefully Aekold Hellbrass is dece. Id hate to call him Smellass instead...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
at least the RoC campaigns will be different. I'm struggling to finish my N'kari RoC campaign. it's mostly on auto pilot and I'm about to get the 3rd soul. Greases got huge but he's being swallowed up by my allies while I beat up his armies on repeat

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
They're charging $25 to make up for the impending loss they take on Pharaoh

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Midnightghoul posted:

They're charging $25 to make up for the impending loss they take on Pharaoh

I want to like this game and I've tried other Total Wars but I like monsters and magic too much

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I feel like the monsters and magic are the best total wars, but they also made them run like poo poo compared to the newer historical titles. 3K had some of the best mechanics choices, and I'm sure Pharaoh will have 5 second turn times and instant battle loads or something, further reminding everyone that TW:WH3 is probably built on the TW:WH1 engine, which was released almost 8 years ago.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The chaos DLC felt like a great price for 4 unique lords while overhauling a long neglected faction and all the old lords reworked to unique experiences too, but ultimately mostly reusing assets from the tw3 daemons and tw1 chaos factions so $15 felt like a good price point.

Chaos dwarves were an entirely new faction and missing piece to the map with a lot of new models, monsters, artillery and mechanics and a slave rework for darkelves, $25 was pushing it but reasonable enough for the work that went into it.

This is stapling on some units to 3 factions that may or may not see more play than a war wagon and there are already mods that look like they have more content for expanded rosters or new legendary lords, $25 is way too high for that even if the Kislev horror movie monster looks neat, if slightly out of place in their armies of regular dudes.

There are a lot of games I'd rather put that $25 towards before getting some DLC units that I might not even get to because there is a lot of other content to still do and this is coming from someone who bought every DLC besides the chaos dwarves and this one because they were very reasonably priced for new factions and starts.

Dyeus
Apr 7, 2007

Orks iz da biggest and da strongest!
Saw a crazy comparison on Reddit: https://i.imgur.com/Gf3hdcs.png

Even :britain: inflation can't account for that increase.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

I don't think I have ever regretted buying DLC for CA's Warhammer and it's not like we are getting one every 2-3 months, like in Warhammer 2 era.. So I pre-ordered it. Yes I know, people like me are ruining gaming, I'm sorry. :v:

Same.
25 or 15 USD is such a low amount of money that I don’t actually care.
There are worse games out there which are more expensive.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
I'm gonna buy it, but man I hope that price hike comes with a commitment to actually start fixing some of these bugs and make actual balance changes. FFS the patch where they were selling on us a admittedly small Bretonnia rework, didn't even work, and it's just now getting fixed in the next dlc.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Cardiac posted:

Same.
There are worse games out there which are more expensive.

Like the original release of TW:W3, if this keeps the trend set by the other DLC they've released.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

The changelings mechanics look completely wacky and unlike anything else in the game which is pretty cool

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Cardiac posted:

Yeah this is what I came down to

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

On non-cost news they've made a blog on The Changeling and he(?) is their latest attempt at a good horde faction; instead of capturing The Changeling either leaves a parasitic or possibly even a symbiotic cult behind. And later ether self destruct them or change the theatre once The Changeling's influence reaches everywhere. At a strategic level this feels more of a change than e.g. Ikit's Workshop.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dyeus posted:

Saw a crazy comparison on Reddit: https://i.imgur.com/Gf3hdcs.png

Even :britain: inflation can't account for that increase.
$25 really is the worst price they could choose. If it was even just $19.99 you'd probably have a lot of grumbling but a lot of people buying it anyways.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

neonchameleon posted:

On non-cost news they've made a blog on The Changeling and he(?) is their latest attempt at a good horde faction; instead of capturing The Changeling either leaves a parasitic or possibly even a symbiotic cult behind. And later ether self destruct them or change the theatre once The Changeling's influence reaches everywhere. At a strategic level this feels more of a change than e.g. Ikit's Workshop.

Yeah this is part of why I feel like its more than just "some units and lords". The Changeling is not just a Tzeentch LL with a different start position and ability; it seems like it'll be a very different game from Kairos independent of their starting position. All of the other intra-faction LL changes are largely very similar on the strategic map outside of maybe a few bits, but generally they play the same. This seems different. The hints of Ostankya's campaign being different from other Kislev factions make me think that they also vary a lot more on the strategic layer.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Mordja posted:

$25 really is the worst price they could choose. If it was even just $19.99 you'd probably have a lot of grumbling but a lot of people buying it anyways.

:hai:

Pretty much anything else you can justify by pointing to inflation or the fact you're getting three lords rather than two like in the old games, but they literally just released an entire new race at the same price point. Even swapping the release dates of SoC/Chorfs would have been a better idea

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:shrug: I play this game more than any other in my library and I doubt you'd even get one legendary lord model for 25 bucks on tabletop so I'm in

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The new guys will have their new objectives on the RoC map, but it sounds like they might each be doing their own thing for their victory condition without being pitted against each other like previous lord packs. The Changeling is hatching the Ultimate Scheme, which from a screenshot in the article might involve every main order faction on the map. Mother Ostankya is looking for some ultimate hex to safeguard Kislev for good, and Yuan Bo is setting up relays that direct magic to the Great Compass that are drawing the ire of the Lizardmen.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

As much as the Changeling Scheme system sort of looks like you can jump into a fight on the side of Chaos, I'm hoping against hope that they also have some "jump in on the side of Order and undermine them the whole time, like friendly-firing your artillery into the backs of your own front line" type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

ad090 posted:

I'm gonna buy it, but man I hope that price hike comes with a commitment to actually start fixing some of these bugs and make actual balance changes. FFS the patch where they were selling on us a admittedly small Bretonnia rework, didn't even work, and it's just now getting fixed in the next dlc.

Having a chuckle at handing over your cash at a mark up and hoping that they'll feel a little guilty and get around to those sweeping systems reworks and bug fixes we've been waiting a year on. I've gone to bat for WH3 and the devs, probably too much in fact, but we're both going to fork over $40 for Nagash's Last WH3 DLC Ever Super Faction Pack in 2028 and very sternly tell CA that if sieges aren't the best they've ever been in TWWH: Old World then we'll be very cross as we preorder for $70 to get the preorder faction.

Not to scold you or anyone else for not boycotting but... well, clearly CA has won this round. :v:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 8, 2023