Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Prism posted:

Shame it's 40k and thus bad.

:blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
BG3 rules. 5E sucks. I might have a decent time in a 5E game if it had BG3 rules since my personal big bugbear is melees not having interesting decisions in 5th. That said, I am going to devil's advocate for 5E here for a little bit. While I find that it becoming the most popular D&D ever personally galling, and to some degree this was a huge lucky break for some of the worst designers that it was out during the pandemic and some big streamers picked it up and then Stranger Things, I have to admit it did do a couple of things "right."

The first is that the math is simple as poo poo. I have seen so, so many people struggle with math in other editions over the years. Whether it's the sometimes weirdly complex crit multipliers of 3rd to the endless modifiers to keep track of in 4th, or just the balking at the mere concept of thac0, people just never grocked it. 5th ed's math is simple enough that small children can handle it and this matters a lot for people trying to do family game nights.

The second is analysis paralysis is real. I personally hate the lack of options in 5th ed, but I had read multiple splat books for fun back in earlier editions. I had near encyclopedic knowledge of feats and spells and races and classes and I enjoyed using all this information to make busted poo poo. Most people don't do this. If you give a person a feat list longer than what's in the PHB, their eyes are going to glaze over. A not insignificant plurality of people do that even with just the PHB. This was made abundantly clear during my 4th edition days where I would constantly watch the less mechanically inclined players have an easy enough time picking out the powers they thought were cool and fun (because even at it's most bloated this was like, 12 choices at most) but needing me or someone else to pick their feats or magic items because there were literally thousands to choose from.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Been playing Trials of Cold Steel and its fine just fine

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

I keep seeing memes about BG3 dice, is it really that RNG heavy?
Is it like Disco Elysium where failing (outside of combat) is cool or is it just save-scum fodder?

It's got a lot of dice rolling. It's not *as* good as DE but there's a fair number of situations where failure can lead to more interesting outcomes than success. (Also fights.) It's generally designed around the idea that you deal with the consequence of a bad roll but you have a lot of ways to mitigate bad rolls. For example you can get Inspiration Dice by doing things that fit your character concept and then spend those to reroll any ability check.

There's also a "Karma Dice" feature which apparently normalizes rolls but I turned that off.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
they should make mystery rpg video games using the GUMSHOE system

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If we're venting about TTRPGs here: I really don't like Apocalypse World/Powered by the Apocalypse, which is bad for me when every indie RPG uses it. I strongly disagree with the concept of tying classes to personality archetypes (like the white mage healer getting +1 die when they protect their friends) even though I understand the efficiency of it.

That's all, it's off my chest.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean that is less about efficiency and more it doing its story game thing
i thought everyone moved on from PBTA to FITD anyway

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Snooze Cruise posted:

i mean that is less about efficiency and more it doing its story game thing
i thought everyone moved on from PBTA to FITD anyway

My experience is very specifically dated, I lost interest in following tabletop stuff a few years ago because the overwhelming negative vibes about the major players was kind of a bummer (nothing against the 5E and Games Workshop haters in this thread, I just mean the community atmosphere in general) and I didn't like any of the indie darlings either. Maybe I should see what this Forged in the Dark thing is about.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Blades in the Dark is cool, and honestly I think it and Call of Cthulhu/Delta Green make for way better podcasts than 5E too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Blades in the Dark is cool, and honestly I think it and Call of Cthulhu/Delta Green make for way better podcasts than 5E too.

What are good COC podcasts, I'm curious? (Though I admit I prefer comedy over standard so maybe COC ain't for me.)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

What are good COC podcasts, I'm curious? (Though I admit I prefer comedy over standard so maybe COC ain't for me.)

There's definitely more out there for Delta Green than CoC, but I can recommend the Shanghaied episode of RPPR for sure. RPPR has a lot of other Call of Cthulhu episodes too, but the main GM (who was a player for Shanghaied) has some verbal tics that can be a little frustrating for me when he GMs, so YMMV. Glass Cannon's doing Masks of Nyarlathotep in their Time for Chaos series, and has some other non-campaign episodes on their youtube channel too.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

lunar detritus posted:

I keep seeing memes about BG3 dice, is it really that RNG heavy?
Is it like Disco Elysium where failing (outside of combat) is cool or is it just save-scum fodder?

There are also apparently two dice settings you can use: true randomness, or "karmic" dice which trend toward average over a large number of checks to help break up success and failure streaks. And also it has already turned into a big joke with a streamer I follow as her first roll of the game, with karmic dice off, was a 1 and it literally blew up in her face.

Failboattootoot posted:

The second is analysis paralysis is real. I personally hate the lack of options in 5th ed, but I had read multiple splat books for fun back in earlier editions. I had near encyclopedic knowledge of feats and spells and races and classes and I enjoyed using all this information to make busted poo poo. Most people don't do this. If you give a person a feat list longer than what's in the PHB, their eyes are going to glaze over. A not insignificant plurality of people do that even with just the PHB. This was made abundantly clear during my 4th edition days where I would constantly watch the less mechanically inclined players have an easy enough time picking out the powers they thought were cool and fun (because even at it's most bloated this was like, 12 choices at most) but needing me or someone else to pick their feats or magic items because there were literally thousands to choose from.

I started as the kind of person who would read huge lists of feats, spells, items, etc. for fun but have over the past ~15 years just become completely exhausted by the idea. It's not even analysis and decision paralysis, it's that so much of this stuff isn't really interesting anymore. And that can be a killer even faster than paralysis, when something you're supposed to spend a ton of time analyzing is just dull to do. Eventually I realized that these giant piles of Options and Toys and Tools were like 95% things I'd never engage with unless I had a game going literally every night. CRPGs are a little better for that because then at least you're managing a whole party of characters to explore all the options with at once.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
5e was not great for invested fans coming off previous editions wanting something meaty like 3.5's char-op and more detailed rules. It's a very poor successor at giving the players freedom to make a lot of meaningful choices in making their character.

3.5's char-op was also really bad from a DMs perspective because it leads to a lot of people running hyper-specialized optimal characters that were bonzo at a few things then were worthless dipshits when confronted with anything else, which leads to having to make encounters either super-tuned to the guy who specialized in social skills couldn't +30 Diplomacy past the entire political part of the campaign at the cost of making everyone else present active detriments if they opened their mouth, or you made something everyone else got a reasonable chance at participating in while having to find a way to make Mr. Charisma take an impromptu nap or get locked in a closet to not ruin the fun for everyone else. Your groups needs to be very cool with characters playing specific roles and sometimes just not getting to play the game and that can be a rough sell to folks who aren't coming in to play a power build.

Also, my much more casual current group definitely appreciates the less rigid structure of 5e. Whenever this group gets introduced to a new game like Pathfinder 1e, Starfinder, Warhammer etc one of the first comments is the group collectively going 'Can we just do this in 5e instead? This is asking a lot more for the same thing.' and I think that's absolutely something 5e's slimmmer rules package and greater emphasis on DM Fiat/Judgement excels at for less-invested players.

(Also, for all of 4E's faults it remains my favorite D&D for pure mechanically-driven adventures- if I'm gonna be doing a campaign that's just a raw-rear end dungeon crawl into a foreign ecosystem with very little other frills and other things like social moments and skill challenges are going to be directly tied to said Crawl instead of major aspects of a more balanced campaign, gimmie 4e over 3.5 OR 5.)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah but you can play less rigid structure trpgs that are not dnd and therefore are better games

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
in many ways dnd is the wwe of rpg systems

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is d&d pro skub or anti skub?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

For the love of God stop playing, you're not having fun!!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Terper posted:

Every time you post I pretend it's Draug posting

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Terper posted:

I've mostly done this! Moved on to board games since I was always way more of a systems guy. I am still in a 5th ed game I don't much care for for multiple reasons mostly just as a way to spend some time with my partners friend group so for external reasons I am trapped.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ultimately the most popular trpg system in the world, so popular that people often just refer to the hobby itself as dnd, had both a neo nazi and sexual abuser involved in the creation of 5e. and the guy who hired them forwarded emails with identifying information of the sexual abuser's accusers. pretty disheartening stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

Is d&d pro skub or anti skub?

5e is anti-skub. 3e had complete skub and complete skub II, it was very pro-skub.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

ultimately the most popular trpg system in the world, so popular that people often just refer to the hobby itself as dnd, had both a neo nazi and sexual abuser involved in the creation of 5e. and the guy who hired them forwarded emails with identifying information of the sexual abuser's accusers. pretty disheartening stuff.

And the sexual abuser even sued someone for signal boosting his accusers because they lived in a country whose libel and slander laws heavily favored the plaintiff. The person sued was a mod of SA's own tradgames forum at the time and this lawsuit is the reason they were forced to step down from the position.

I try to judge 5e on its own merits but that sort of association is hard to forget.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Aatrek's presence still looms over these forums... Tragic

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh I misread sorry

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

Oh I misread sorry

lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

Oh I misread sorry

lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Installing a mod that removes the short rest for powers and turns them into just once per encounter like 4e has made BG3 infinitely better already.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Installing a mod that removes the short rest for powers and turns them into just once per encounter like 4e has made BG3 infinitely better already.

But but but a muscle man should be able to swing his sword the same every time all day!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My favorite thing about Pillars of Eternity 2 is that I can just use the majority of my abilities every single fight, and the encounters are more fun due to that. I don't mind having some limitations like the Watcher powers and enhancing a single spell per combat, up to 3 per rest, and having the rest available again every fight is great.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's too powerful that you can bonk a guy on the head with a hammer more than once without having to take a nappy. Meanwhile a wizard can do a billion damage in a giant aoe multiple times per rest, but that's no biggie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's too powerful that you can bonk a guy on the head with a hammer more than once without having to take a nappy. Meanwhile a wizard can do a billion damage in a giant aoe multiple times per rest, but that's no biggie.

I mean it kind of objectively is. I don't know about 5E proper but in BG3 melee fighters are absolutely insane shitwreckers who regularly clear out entire waves by themselves and tank damage for days. Wizards can Fireball multiple times but Karlach is a demonic buzzsaw. poo poo, I once had her kill five people in a single turn just by throwing them at each other in a rage and she can do that basically every single fight.

Wizards are really good too mind you but their utility spells are probably more gamebreakingly strong than their combat abilities. Like yeah, Fireball is nice I guess, but why would I want to use Fireball when I can use Fly to utterly trivialize enemy positioning and nosell a puzzle instead?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 8, 2023

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

mila kunis posted:

I found the environment stuff and the armor system in dos2 kinda tedious. I guess BG3 is more of the same?

not really? the armor system is completely gone (because it’s just d&d), there definitely are still environmental effects in combat but it’s incredibly downplayed compared to every encounter in dos2 ending in a storm of poison, oil, and fire

it’s still more of the same in the sense of being turn based four character CRPG combat i guess

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

in many ways dnd is the wwe of rpg systems

Brutal

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it kind of objectively is. I don't know about 5E proper but in BG3 melee fighters are absolutely insane shitwreckers who regularly clear out entire waves by themselves and tank damage for days. Wizards can Fireball multiple times but Karlach is a demonic buzzsaw. poo poo, I once had her kill five people in a single turn just by throwing them at each other in a rage and she can do that basically every single fight.

Wizards are really good too mind you but their utility spells are probably more gamebreakingly strong than their combat abilities. Like yeah, Fireball is nice I guess, but why would I want to use Fireball when I can use Fly to utterly trivialize enemy positioning and nosell a puzzle instead?

BG3 did some work to make martial classes stronger, yes but I think 5e inherently needing to put once per rest cooldowns on basic things like "rush attack" is extremely stupid in the same game with spellcasters having all the utility they do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

BG3 did some work to make martial classes stronger, yes but I think 5e inherently needing to put once per rest cooldowns on basic things like "rush attack" is extremely stupid in the same game with spellcasters having all the utility they do.

I admit I don't quite get the issue there because it works for Short Rests too and you get at least 2 of those per Long Rest period (more with specific classes) and I feel like by the end of enough encounters to need 2-3 short rests I'm ready for a long rest anyway if just because the wizards start to run low on slots too.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Rush attack especially bothers me because like.. it's just running at a person real fast and swinging your weapon at them

You telling me my super strong, well trained fighters and barbarians can't.. run twice in the same day without an hour of chilling to make sure they don't get winded or something?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Basically D&D (and similar) physical/martial abilities tend to be written by people whose understanding of what the human body can accomplish is limited by their own, rather than looking at athletes, prizefighters, soldiers, etc.

Meanwhile magical powers are only limited by whatever the designer can think up with no real conceptual barriers to refine their ideas down thematically or functionally and this is why magic in D&D and its descendants tends to be the Sonic Screwdriver of universal utility.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Rush attack especially bothers me because like.. it's just running at a person real fast and swinging your weapon at them

You telling me my super strong, well trained fighters and barbarians can't.. run twice in the same day without an hour of chilling to make sure they don't get winded or something?

I mean at the end of the day it's a game mechanic. It isn't realistic because it isn't trying to be realistic, at best it's trying to model the idea of exerting yourself beyond the norm. It makes as much sense as "I can duck behind this box and now I am hidden and can stealth attack you without consequence" or "I am an all-powerful wizard but I can cast exactly as many spells as I have magical slots and also I forget how to cast spells sometimes and also some spells I can cast as much as I want without any consequences."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I mean at the end of the day it's a game mechanic. It isn't realistic because it isn't trying to be realistic, at best it's trying to model the idea of exerting yourself beyond the norm. It makes as much sense as "I can duck behind this box and now I am hidden and can stealth attack you without consequence" or "I am an all-powerful wizard but I can cast exactly as many spells as I have magical slots and also I forget how to cast spells sometimes and also some spells I can cast as much as I want without any consequences."

You'd be surprised at what wack rear end limitations get written into martial classes for "realism" purposes rather than for game balance reasons.

What I'm saying is, you might not necessarily be wrong, but people writing for D&D have a history of making this kind of decision because they mistakenly think it is realistic and with no real concerns for game design beyond that. Simulationism is a hell of a drug, especially when heavily biased on the writer's part.