Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What’s the best way of dumping a load of ROMs on an external drive that the deck can read, is there a format I can use on Mac to move the ROMs onto the drive that’ll work on the Deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Exfat should work on both

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

From my experience EXFAT on external SSDs is a bit poo poo but I’ll give it a try, thanks.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

I said come in! posted:

Use proton experimental

Now that it's verified you shouldn't need to do that. If the OP had previously installed the EA build that can cause problems.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Unfortunately I do use Proton Experimental and it crashes at the loading screen and im totally hosed!!!

Is there a way to delete cloud saves? Maybe that’s what’s loving it up, I did play the EA like 2 years ago

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

When it comes to loving about with proton versions, definitely try GE-Proton if you haven’t. (Download protonup, add latest version of GE-Proton - currently up to 8-11, make the game use that).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Can you still get to the Larian launcher? Maybe switch from Vulkan to DX11. I had that issue in EA at least.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Really funny how when I decided to test the network transfer feature a few weeks ago it was randomly disabled by Valve between PC and Steam Deck. But I'm glad it works now. It's transferring Baldur's Gate 3 now over my local area network. Also, I was completely shocked to see that Baldur's Gate 3 is MacOS compatible. Maybe I'll transfer it to my MacBook as well...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Detective No. 27 posted:

Really funny how when I decided to test the network transfer feature a few weeks ago it was randomly disabled by Valve between PC and Steam Deck. But I'm glad it works now. It's transferring Baldur's Gate 3 now over my local area network. Also, I was completely shocked to see that Baldur's Gate 3 is MacOS compatible. Maybe I'll transfer it to my MacBook as well...

It doesn’t work on Mac yet, that’s later with the PS5 release.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Has anyone here resoldered the microswitches for L1 or R1? I have the replacement switch now and it looks straightforward but I’m wondering if there are any hidden traps to watch for.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Did someone post something about fixing a sticky/loud clicking/snapping trackpad issue with iso alcohol spray somehow? Or am I thinking of a different problem?

Left trackpad started LOUDLY clicking with only slight pressure, and it's grating as can be. I didn't want to take the whole thing apart to get to the pads since they're under everything else, but can't seem to search out the post I was thinking of.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

jokes posted:

Unfortunately I do use Proton Experimental and it crashes at the loading screen and im totally hosed!!!

Is there a way to delete cloud saves? Maybe that’s what’s loving it up, I did play the EA like 2 years ago

Larian published a guide for removing all the old cruft from the EA build including the saves, because it can cause all sorts of errors.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

It doesn’t work on Mac yet, that’s later with the PS5 release.

The big ol' download button is available when viewing it on Steam on my MacBook. :shrug:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

The big ol' download button is available when viewing it on Steam on my MacBook. :shrug:

It’s still the EA version, if you download it it fires up the launcher and there’s a “lol in September loser this is the EA version” disclaimer

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah. Good to know.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is it possible to associate a non-Steam game you've added to Steam with an existing Steam game entry to get the graphics and community pages as if it was a Steam game? I've got Dead Cells from GoG which I installed and instead of having it as a grey blob with a name in the Steam Deck library I'd much rather see it with the Dead Cells graphic and to be able to pull up the community content or game info page as if it was any other Steam game once added.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

nessin posted:

Is it possible to associate a non-Steam game you've added to Steam with an existing Steam game entry to get the graphics and community pages as if it was a Steam game? I've got Dead Cells from GoG which I installed and instead of having it as a grey blob with a name in the Steam Deck library I'd much rather see it with the Dead Cells graphic and to be able to pull up the community content or game info page as if it was any other Steam game once added.

With Decky Loader you can use the SteamGridDB to change all artwork

Sterf fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 8, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They're selling refurbs now. The 64 and 256 are out of stock though.
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/903905/
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/903906/
https://store.steampowered.com/sub/903907/

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

the 64 refurb, use that extra $80 to get a 1tb internal hard drive, you've got a fuckin stew goin

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What’s the best way of dumping a load of ROMs on an external drive that the deck can read, is there a format I can use on Mac to move the ROMs onto the drive that’ll work on the Deck?

Is there anything like WinSCP for Mac to just transfer them over your network?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Just opening to the store front for me. How much was it going for?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it was $320 for the 64, $520 for the 512 I think. Forget what the 256 was.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Does baldurs gate 3 run on this without sounding like a jet engine and with rtrackpadcontrols? Never played anyof the others, so I'm not sure if I want to jump in with the deck or stay on PC

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 8, 2023

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Fan gets loud, but the controls are pretty solid and the frame rate sticks around 40 on medium. Solid 30 if you want.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

PageMaster posted:

Does baldurs gate 3 run on this without sliding like a jet engine and with rocks controls? Never played a by of the others, so I'm not sure if I want to jump in with the deck or stay on PC.

I played a little on my deck this morning. Anywhere from 30-50fps but the fan is blasting full tilt

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
I turned the TDP down to 12 I think and the fans don't get loud and it generally holds 30fps.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm wishing I hadn't bought Baldur's Gate III on another platform a year or two ago. But, check out this game! Anybody played this one?

Right up there with Mario Bros 3 and C:SotN, Elastomania. I must have poured a few hundred hours into this one over the course of middle and high school. Talk about a great Deck game!

Classic! Collect the apples, go to the flower. You've got a cool motorcycle. Forget about it!

The game is the small but flexible physics puzzle of riding without hitting your head--then it's flower time. Classic!

I'm not kidding, this game (old enough to serve as a representative in US congress) is great!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Action Supercross, Elastomania's predecessor, was played muchly on my high school's library PCs.

There's an open source clone called X-Moto I recommend, it's on FlatHub. It's the same general idea, but the engine allows for a lot more customizability so you can get some real wack custom levels accessible via the built in custom content browser.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hah! ElastoMania brings me back.

Glad to see the classics are getting some love.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes! I put so much time into elastomania back in the day!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bumhead posted:

It's fun to see how folks mileage varies and where they draw their own lines on performance.

I think it's absolutely wild that a handheld device can run Cyberpunk and Red Dead Redemption 2 in a totally playable fashion.

But at 30-40fps with the fans going wild? Not for me. That type of stuff just pushes my personal tolerance of what's a good experience. This years Dead Space remake was a good example. It's Verified on the store and regularly mentioned as a good experience on Deck, but I could never get it to a state where I was happy with the performance and it made the Deck run really hot and loud. That stuff is just about disruptive enough to impede my enjoyment of a game.

My tastes lean more old school anyway so it's a fairly moot point for me. My biggest joy with the Deck has been running a lot of classic PC games from the 90's and early 2000's on handheld hardware, which will never fail to impress me. Running modern AAA games on the Deck is one of those curiosities that I think is objectively really cool to see happening, but that's not my use case for the machine.

big same here, all of the words :yeah:

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Mod valid above the arctic circle only
bad news i actually live close to it but due to climate change we've had incredibly hot summers the last years (like 90f+) and it sucks really bad because all our housing is built to retain as much heat as possible and air conditioning is just not a thing here :negative:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anyone know how to get Baldur's Gate 3 to stop freezing so hard I have to force-reboot the Steam Deck if it's been suspended for more'n 10 minutes?

Never played the beta so this is a clean and proper install. Using Proton Experimental.

Not exactly the experience I'd call verified, though the game is fun while it works.

But I don't have any consistent blocks of time to dive in.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Hammer Bro. posted:

Anyone know how to get Baldur's Gate 3 to stop freezing so hard I have to force-reboot the Steam Deck if it's been suspended for more'n 10 minutes?

Never played the beta so this is a clean and proper install. Using Proton Experimental.

Not exactly the experience I'd call verified, though the game is fun while it works.

But I don't have any consistent blocks of time to dive in.

If it's verified, are you supposed to be using Experimental?

Are you using Vulkan or DX?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I have certainly not had that problem across 20-some hours of play and many suspends running experimental, at least. Same boat as you, never played on early access.

One thing that did cause some weird issues was the constant UI shifting between mkb and controller if I accidentally touched the screen, etc and that did end up causing a couple weird lockup situations. My in game settings never saved as controller only so I ended up completely disabling the touchscreen for BG3 through steam input > actions and set an always on system action to disable touchscreen for the game. Might be worth a try, see if it helps.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The refurbs are back again
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamdeckrefurbished/

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Lol, that’s almost exactly what my 20 percent off 512 cost during the Summer Sale

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

20% off the 512 was nuts in hindsight

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vegastar posted:

I have certainly not had that problem across 20-some hours of play and many suspends running experimental, at least. Same boat as you, never played on early access.

One thing that did cause some weird issues was the constant UI shifting between mkb and controller if I accidentally touched the screen, etc and that did end up causing a couple weird lockup situations. My in game settings never saved as controller only so I ended up completely disabling the touchscreen for BG3 through steam input > actions and set an always on system action to disable touchscreen for the game. Might be worth a try, see if it helps.

It does that hitchy slow UI shifting on a windows machine too if you accidentally knock your mouse or a key while you’re using a controller so that’s not a deck specific piece of wonkiness.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

£280 for the 64gb is cheaper than some Android emulator handhelds lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

20% off the 512 was nuts in hindsight

It worked out to the exact same price as the 256 model regularly priced, so yeah of course I bought it.

E: not quite, because I had to pay duty on top of that to import it into the Great White North.

E:Up here the ROG Ally is almost a thousand dollars, which is a really hard sell compared to the deck

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 8, 2023