Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"Actually we weren't mad at all in fact we smiled when our beautiful season ran into a wall named Mahomes"

Sure, okay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was mad that’s true but now I am not

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I have never been mad about football. Nope. Not once.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I have never been mad about football. Nope. Not once.

Av/post combo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

euphronius posted:

I was mad that’s true but now I am not

Thats okay, then.

I was mad the Cowboys managed to lose to the 49ers in stupid fashion two years in a row, but seeing Zeke eat poo poo to end the season helped numb some of it.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

Thats okay, then.

I was mad the Cowboys managed to lose to the 49ers in stupid fashion two years in a row, but seeing Zeke eat poo poo to end the season helped numb some of it.

Still :rubby: when I think back on that.

I’ve come to accept the Cowboys inevitable postseason failures and if such an outcome is preordained by the Football Gods, then at least I hope it’s entertaining.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Cartoon Man posted:

Hey guys, you remember that time Carson Wentz played good enough to get his team into the playoffs but then got injured and Big Dick Nick Foles came in and won all the playoff games and the Super Bowl?

My absolute favorite Wentz being a shithead story was from this season. An Eagles RB (I can't remember which one) wanted to punch him in the face because he couldn't be happy for his team succeeding, because he was too busy sulking and whining about them winning without him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cartoon Man posted:

Hey guys, you remember that time Carson Wentz played good enough to get his team into the playoffs but then got injured and Big Dick Nick Foles came in and won all the playoff games and the Super Bowl?

There's a Washington fan I work with (who still refers to them as their old name) who's been trying to tell me that Trevor Lawrence is doomed since "Doug Peterson is not good with quarterbacks." So, yeah in addition to being a stubborn racist, he's also an idiot. The coach that beat Brady and Belichick with loving Carson Wentz and Nick Foles is bad with QB's.

Doug has also coached the two largest increases in QBR in NFL history (Wentz and Lawrence)

Are all Washington fans this stupid?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nfl top 100 list

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Q_res posted:

My absolute favorite Wentz being a shithead story was from this season. An Eagles RB (I can't remember which one) wanted to punch him in the face because he couldn't be happy for his team succeeding, because he was too busy sulking and whining about them winning without him.

IIRC it was Darren Sproles, who was also on IR.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Pederson being a casualty of the Wentz debacle is always going to stick in my craw because that dude is a drat good coach, but IIRC he was also very much against Hurts getting the nod over Wentz so it's a bit of a mixed bag. I'm confident enough in Sirianni to where the loss of Pederson sucks a bit less (going to the Super Bowl will do that, I guess), but that could fall apart quickly if the team looks bad under the new coordinators and they slip into some of the habits they've had over the past two years (like completely forgetting the identity of the team and making things much harder on themselves, a la the Saints game last season).

Between the new coordinators and the hilariously brutal middle part of their schedule, the Eagles feel like one of those teams that could win 13 games or barely make it to .500. I have them penciled in at 12 wins, with most or all of the five losses happening from weeks nine through 15 (DAL, Bye, @KC, BUF, SF, @DAL, @SEA).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

From what the beat reporters say, Pederson stopped working hard after the super bowl victory. He was also as mentioned saddled with an albatross QB. Then he lost a power play with Howie. He was done.

quote:

e five losses happening from weeks nine through 15 (DAL, Bye, @KC, BUF, SF, @DAL, @SEA).

At KC will be tough but they should be favored in all those other games. If they are healthy I see one loss there.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Arguments could definitely be made for BUF/SF/@SEA being somewhat safe but if you look at both Dallas games and KC and only see one loss then brother we are on a different wavelength

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I expect the eagles to beat KC, honestly. Otherwise if they lose it'll be on a Mahomes comeback drive in the final minutes.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
i am surrounded by lunatics

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Asproigerosis posted:

isn't nfl backup entirely predicated around teamwork, gameplanning, theorycrafting stuff and nothing to do with your actual physical ability to play?

Someone else posted in a discussion about Hefty Lefty that a starting QB is someone who makes the correct read most of the time and can put the ball anywhere on the field. A backup is someone who can make the correct read as often or more than the starter but has limited arm and ability to put the ball anywhere. The guys that can put the ball anywhere but can't read a defense, like He Ate Me, end up in CFL/XFL/Arena.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Toaster Beef posted:

IT'S THE INTANGIBLES:supaburn:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
KC should be the favorite against any team they play as long as Mahomes is the QB and is healthy. Even if he's injured, there's a drat good chance they should be favored to win.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Toaster Beef posted:

Arguments could definitely be made for BUF/SF/@SEA being somewhat safe but if you look at both Dallas games and KC and only see one loss then brother we are on a different wavelength

Eagles will be favored in both Dallas games

It’s possible they lose I know

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

fartknocker posted:

IIRC it was Darren Sproles, who was also on IR.

and malcolm jenkins

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Toaster Beef posted:

I get optimism in the offseason but c’mon

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m optimistic that this upcoming preseason game one will be dumb as hell to watch but I’m going to anyway.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a Washington fan I work with (who still refers to them as their old name) who's been trying to tell me that Trevor Lawrence is doomed since "Doug Peterson is not good with quarterbacks." So, yeah in addition to being a stubborn racist, he's also an idiot. The coach that beat Brady and Belichick with loving Carson Wentz and Nick Foles is bad with QB's.

Doug has also coached the two largest increases in QBR in NFL history (Wentz and Lawrence)

Are all Washington fans this stupid?

I admit it. We are embarrassingly stupid. We are every bit as stupid as Eagles fans, Giants fans, and Cowboys fans.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

Like idiots who think a 13-4 San Francisco team and a 13-3 Buffalo team are gimmies.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

predicto posted:

Like idiots who think a 13-4 San Francisco team and a 13-3 Buffalo team are gimmies.

Better than predicting like 16-1

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It is crazy to think the eagles will win a game they will be favored in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

euphronius posted:

It is crazy to think the eagles will win a game they will be favored in.

It's crazy to assume that the Eagles will casually roll through a brutal 5 stretch against teams that went a collective 64 and 20 last year. Teams actually do lose games in which they are favored.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hurts lost one regular season game he was favored in last year iirc

So yes I suppose it’s possible

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

euphronius posted:

Hurts lost one regular season game he was favored in last year iirc

So yes I suppose it’s possible

yep it's even possible to lose to Tyler Heinecke

but it's far more likely to lose to at least one of Dallas, SF, Buffalo, or Dallas again when you play them all in a row sandwiched around KC.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Perhaps but they are indeed favored in all of those games so :shrug:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
The Eagles reached the SB last year of course they are going to naturally be favored in most games they play in, if not all. At this point it barely means anything

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 8, 2023

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Going off the implied odds of winning each of those games that they are favored in (I.e. Not the kc game) Vegas gives the eagles a 5.6% chance of winning all five of those games in that stretch

So yeah I guess technically there's a chance they win them all

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I agree that math is persuasive. I forgot probability worked like that

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

Pederson being a casualty of the Wentz debacle is always going to stick in my craw because that dude is a drat good coach, but IIRC he was also very much against Hurts getting the nod over Wentz so it's a bit of a mixed bag. I'm confident enough in Sirianni to where the loss of Pederson sucks a bit less (going to the Super Bowl will do that, I guess), but that could fall apart quickly if the team looks bad under the new coordinators and they slip into some of the habits they've had over the past two years (like completely forgetting the identity of the team and making things much harder on themselves, a la the Saints game last season).

Between the new coordinators and the hilariously brutal middle part of their schedule, the Eagles feel like one of those teams that could win 13 games or barely make it to .500. I have them penciled in at 12 wins, with most or all of the five losses happening from weeks nine through 15 (DAL, Bye, @KC, BUF, SF, @DAL, @SEA).

I honestly think they're going to regress but gently caress if I know how unless key people get hurt.

Teams that lose the SB almost always have terrible seasons the next year, I always get nervous when everyone is picking the Eagles and it would be a very Philly thing to do to get swept by Dallas, split with WAS and NY and figure out a way to go 9-8 where the Cowboys win the division or 8-9 and miss the playoffs.

Some team besides SF, DAL and PHI is going to pull a NYG or MIN from last year, turn out 10 or 11 wins and sneak into the playoffs, guaranteed. I keep looking at the NFCS and seeing a likely candidate there since those teams all suck and one might go 5 and 1 in that division through sheer luck. Maybe New Orleans but a sudden CAR or ATL surge wouldn't shock me either. These seasons never go according to consensus and 1 or 2 teams always come out of nowhere while another 1 or 2 just poo poo the bed entirely and flame out. But who are those teams?

Who's a sleeper team in the weak rear end NFC?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm not writing off Washington or New York, though I dunno if NY would be considered a sleeper after making the playoffs last year. Atlanta and Chicago are the other two that jump to mind.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I would say any team that made the playoffs last year wouldn't qualify as a sleeper. More, a team that no one is talking about coming out of nowhere and making it in. Green Bay or Cleveland types, looking at things now. Oakland or Washington.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Do the Lions count as a sleeper? They are in a weird spot and missed the playoffs but really came up hot late last season

Honestly the Vikings will probably regress to the mean and the other 3 NFC North teams are all set up to make a sudden surge. Love might turn out good, and Fields might take it up a notch.

I don't like anyone in the south. Falcons don't have a qb, Panthers have a rookie, saints are a mess, and Bucs have no QB

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Febreeze posted:

Do the Lions count as a sleeper? They are in a weird spot and missed the playoffs but really came up hot late last season

I don't think they can purely because of the level of hype they've been getting, which as a Lions fan has been filling me with dread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Toaster Beef posted:

"yeah the Eagles have lost at least once a year to Dallas every year post-2006, but They're Favored to change that [just like they were favored to change that in the post-ring year (they lost both games then)]"