Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

MJeff posted:

Okay yeah when loving Gjallarhorn is at 4%, I'm not gonna take this thing being at 1.2% as some kind of referendum.

This, altho the better number to look at is the Adjusted Rarity, tbh.

"Global Rarity" reflects every Guardian that's ever been made -- e.g. it includes people who played the game for 30 minutes and decided it wasn't for them, or who beat the Red War campaign five years ago and then never came back.

"Adjusted Rarity" counts every Guardian who's completed one seal, which implies that they were significantly active for at least some period of time.

Basically, if something has 25% or higher adjusted rarity, it's ubiquitous. Funnelweb, Krait, and most of the other WQ-era global loot pool legendaries are around there; older global legendaries like Better Devils and Cuboid ARu are 40%ish; some of the "babby's first exotic" questline rewards like Riskrunner are >50%.

Gjally is 10%, which imho is understandable since it requires you to run a Dungeon. Hawkmoon is about the same.

Having the Solstice rocket at 3% ain't great, but it's not like nobody did it. Compare it with Targeted Redaction, which both free and paid players get at rank 20 this season -- its adjusted rarity is 11%. So you could roughly eyeball it as "about 1/4 of the active playerbase did Solstice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Cool skins for Arbalest and Quicksilver Storm this week, too

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Cool skins for Arbalest and Quicksilver Storm this week, too

What, for Silver? I only saw a Wintersbite ornament that turns it into a trident and the starfire ones.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Oxyclean posted:

What, for Silver? I only saw a Wintersbite ornament that turns it into a trident and the starfire ones.

Yeah, I’m at work so I just checked the app. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s off though. Looks like the QS one is in Weekly Offerings?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Enlightened Wojak Meme: Knowing that Solstice sucked even without rocket launcher statistics

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i honestly thought zipping through bonfire bashes like a methamphetic hamster with eager edge and arc warlock was pretty fun, but it's definitely a make-your-own-fun kind of deal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's fun and I'm glad they changed it to not be a zero-sum game any more

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm gonna be honest with y'all, I'm just about out of steam on Destiny in general. About the only thing I've got in mind about it anymore is seeing what their plans are for the Mask of the Quiet One in the upcoming TWID. If it's not getting something that tickles my fancy, I'm probably just going to stop playing. This season has basically been a love letter to me because Sloane and Drifter are by far my favorite characters, and I've just... checked out completely. Haven't even cared to knock out Dredgen⁸ or whatever I'm up to now.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Kith posted:

I'm gonna be honest with y'all, I'm just about out of steam on Destiny in general. About the only thing I've got in mind about it anymore is seeing what their plans are for the Mask of the Quiet One in the upcoming TWID. If it's not getting something that tickles my fancy, I'm probably just going to stop playing. This season has basically been a love letter to me because Sloane and Drifter are by far my favorite characters, and I've just... checked out completely. Haven't even cared to knock out Dredgen⁸ or whatever I'm up to now.
Yeah, this is pretty much my feeling as well, which is a shame but the last year I feel that Bungie themselves have kind of checked out on Destiny.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Kith posted:

I am right there with ya :smith:.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah I also very much feel like my time with Destiny is coming to its close and hell, I can't be one of those super upset types because I had a lot of fun playing the game over the last however many years and an end was inevitable, I just wish that end wasn't...this.

Devs seem compelled to spend more time looking for ways to limit player fun and I'm trying to maximize fun for the hour or so of uninterrupted time I get to sit down and play a video game most nights. It's really unforgiveable imo mods that are cornerstones of a bunch of builds that are super fun to play have just been sitting in a disabled status for like, half of the season because investor demands say "go spend resources on Marathing" and (someone????) at Bungie is saying "players are having too much fun with these builds, we have to DO SOMETHING!" so they arrive at the least-cost "fix" of just...breaking poo poo intentionally.

Games can be good and grindy, and D2 has been missing that mark real bad this season imo. I've had more fun trying to catch up on MH:Rise than I have playing D2 the last few weeks. At least if I wind up joining a hunt for a monster I don't need mats from I can feed those mats into something else to get a reward that's more in line with what I need.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
I've been feeling a bit burned out on D2 lately, but in my case I don't think it's really connected to anything about the current state of the game or such. Just that generic "jeez, I've been playing an awful lot lately, this doesn't really feel as meaningful anymore, and I've got a gajillion other good games to play..." feeling that comes in cycles.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm pretty cool on D2 right now but its hard to feel like Im any closer to quitting outright then any other end of season lull/time my brain is way more focused on other things. I'm looking forward to the showcase, the start of next season, and the reprised raid, even if it's not Wrath, because it will probably still be fun to do with people.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Yeah, I’m at work so I just checked the app. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s off though. Looks like the QS one is in Weekly Offerings?

I just kind of assumed the silver stuff was just always available (or at least for the length of the season) - and ive certainly felt like ive seen the QSS ornament before this week. Dunno if the weekly offerings is a discount or something, either way I just kind of wait for any of that stuff to go for bright dust cause so few cosmetics feel worth the real money in this game.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Reiterpallasch posted:

that looks like warmind.io, but i have no idea how they actually calculate their numbers. light.gg also has a little display for what percentage of the playerbase has a thing, so i'm guessing the API exposes the number somehow, but i don't know what "adjusted" means.

I think light.gg's numbers reflect only players who have registered an account at light.gg and connected it to their Bungie account. So it's useful for tracking how much of the highly-online hardcore base has a weapon, not once-a-week dads who have never heard of light.gg.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’ve taken a break for most of SotD but that State of the Game really drove it home to me that this break feels different from the rest. I was willing to make a billion excuses for Bungie when they were independent but as far as I’m concerned when you get bought by one of the three major console manufacturers for 3.6 BILLION with a B dollars, I accept a lot less poo poo, and certainly the last words I want to hear out of your mouth are “we don’t have the resources for that.” It’s been a year and a half since the acquisition, if they don’t have the man-hours or the money to keep their own basic promise of “a crummy armor set for each of the playlists each year” then something is seriously hosed up with management.

I’ll watch the showcase and maybe even get TFS after but it’s a real shame that when Witch Queen launched I was the most optimistic about the franchise I had ever been but now staring down the barrel of its “conclusion” I’m completely indifferent about it and am in fact more excited to get it over with.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I highly doubt those 3.6 billion with a B dollars were exchanged with the intent of a lot or even any of it going towards an ancient cross-platform service.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bonfire Bash is fun when you're grappling all over the EAZ, but a couple things about the loop are cringe.

- Leaves are kinda slow to build up. Asking me to play Altar of Sorrow in 2023 is cancel culture.
- You can't fully upgrade a piece of armor from one run of Bonfire Bash.
- Base stats needed to be higher what's this 59 poo poo?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
It cost 20 leaves to get 100 ash from the bash, which is enough to upgrade one piece. The big sin was having to not use one of your builds, and the issue with things not working correctly if you do the end of activity swap to all your armor.

And yeah the fact it rained armor on you was also lame.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

life_source posted:

I highly doubt those 3.6 billion with a B dollars were exchanged with the intent of a lot or even any of it going towards an ancient cross-platform service.

Awful strange decision to not dedicate any resources to the game that has been in the top ten active playerbase of every platform it’s on since it launched.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

I’ve taken a break for most of SotD but that State of the Game really drove it home to me that this break feels different from the rest. I was willing to make a billion excuses for Bungie when they were independent but as far as I’m concerned when you get bought by one of the three major console manufacturers for 3.6 BILLION with a B dollars, I accept a lot less poo poo, and certainly the last words I want to hear out of your mouth are “we don’t have the resources for that.” It’s been a year and a half since the acquisition, if they don’t have the man-hours or the money to keep their own basic promise of “a crummy armor set for each of the playlists each year” then something is seriously hosed up with management.

I’ll watch the showcase and maybe even get TFS after but it’s a real shame that when Witch Queen launched I was the most optimistic about the franchise I had ever been but now staring down the barrel of its “conclusion” I’m completely indifferent about it and am in fact more excited to get it over with.

When Bungie (or any property owned by another, larger company) tells you they don't have the resources for something, they're not saying in the literal sense that there aren't enough people with the skillsets and in-house knowledge required to do something - the people who can write the code to do any given thing exist within the company, just that Bungie hasn't been given the approval to use those resources to that end. Sony is happy with the revenue that D2 is bringing in now, even after all of the streamer pamps overflowing since the release of Lightfall, D2 continues to print money for Bungie and Sony so there's really no motive for Sony to tell the Destiny team to go ahead and do x,y,z in response to overwhelming feedback - and likely, the D2 revenue stream has become mostly stable and resilient to any attempts to expand it simply by how awful of an onboarding experience the game is for new players - any expanded revenue to come from Sony's acquisition of Bungie has to be through a new revenue stream.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

also i hate that i know what all those words mean but that's what compulsory all hands meetings at a tech company does to a brain

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not really sure being owned by Sony suddenly they have the manpower and means to spend dev time on a game mode everyone has complained about since it's introduction in every form it's existed.

Like, snark aside about Gambit, being bought by Sony doesn't suddenly manifest more up-to-speed devs, and even then, Sony probably sees Destiny in it's current state as a cash generator that doesn't need further investment. FF14 kind of gets treated that way by SE - it drives so much of their revenue while other projects flounder, but for awhile it really wasn't getting the heaviest of investment back into it. (Though I think that has changed/improved)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hackan Slash posted:

It cost 20 leaves to get 100 ash from the bash, which is enough to upgrade one piece. The big sin was having to not use one of your builds, and the issue with things not working correctly if you do the end of activity swap to all your armor.

And yeah the fact it rained armor on you was also lame.

20+40+60, wasn't it?

Penalizing you for using exotic armor was also cringe, yeah. You can make loadouts (mostly Strand or Arc) that can do just fine anyway, but this game is supposed to be about buildcrafting now, gimme a break.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not really sure being owned by Sony suddenly they have the manpower and means to spend dev time on a game mode everyone has complained about since it's introduction in every form it's existed.

This a green mode post or a red mode post?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MJeff posted:

This a green mode post or a red mode post?

yes

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Like, snark aside about Gambit, being bought by Sony doesn't suddenly manifest more up-to-speed devs, and even then, Sony probably sees Destiny in it's current state as a cash generator that doesn't need further investment. FF14 kind of gets treated that way by SE - it drives so much of their revenue while other projects flounder, but for awhile it really wasn't getting the heaviest of investment back into it. (Though I think that has changed/improved)

If anything, positions were likely eliminated when Sony acquired them.

I have some family that are in the unfortunate business of guiding tech startups to investor money (and guaranteeing future investments) and some of the more horrifying things I've heard about tech industry trends have come from them. Real psycho poo poo "when you get your first round of funding, fire 10% of your workers because that's what investors like to see," so I can't imagine it's much of a positive environment being a Bungie dev to begin with.

I can tell you for sure that plenty of wishlist things from both devs and players are never going to happen because the people controlling the money said "no that team is better utilized elsewhere" because the hours put into {thing} don't have a demonstrable impact on ARR or achieving triple-triple-double bookings QoQ.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just give me the ascendant challenge Dinklebot you fucks

Let me do the other challenges already it's been years we understand the themes behind it

I regularly take breaks from Destiny so other than that I'm pretty fine with the game. I cannot imagine playing through for nine straight years

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe
May 13, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I was struck with a great and terrible inspiration during a raid the other day

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not really sure being owned by Sony suddenly they have the manpower and means

That is why I said “it’s been a year and a half.”

Lib and let die posted:

When Bungie (or any property owned by another, larger company) tells you they don't have the resources for something, they're not saying in the literal sense that there aren't enough people with the skillsets and in-house knowledge required to do something - the people who can write the code to do any given thing exist within the company, just that Bungie hasn't been given the approval to use those resources to that end. Sony is happy with the revenue that D2 is bringing in now, even after all of the streamer pamps overflowing since the release of Lightfall, D2 continues to print money for Bungie and Sony so there's really no motive for Sony to tell the Destiny team to go ahead and do x,y,z in response to overwhelming feedback - and likely, the D2 revenue stream has become mostly stable and resilient to any attempts to expand it simply by how awful of an onboarding experience the game is for new players - any expanded revenue to come from Sony's acquisition of Bungie has to be through a new revenue stream.

I’m sure all of this is true. I was worried about the Sony acquisition back when it happened for all these exact reasons. I just also think that Bungie is culpable in it not just for agreeing to be acquired (especially when they weren’t anywhere near dire straits when it happened) but for also spending the acquisition talking up how independently they would still be allowed to operate to their player base. This is the third time they’ve made a bargain this Faustian and if management or whoever would be responsible at Bungie didn’t see it coming that their parent company would want control over their workflow, I don’t know what to say.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

I just also think that Bungie is culpable in it not just for agreeing to be acquired

Oh don't I know it. I work for a software company that sold itself off to private equity and uh...the internal resentment is real.

And anyone that it could reasonably be directed at has long since gotten their payout and left the company. I sympathize with whoever's left at Bungie, honestly. I think a lot of who is left are a mix of the "true believers" in D2 and whatever separate team they've managed to stand up for Marathon or whatever else.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pirate Jet posted:

This is the third time they’ve made a bargain this Faustian

I think for a bargain to be Faustian, you have to actually pay a heavy price for it, Bungie skated away from both Microsoft and Activision free and clear, and if I had to guess, they're probably going for the hat trick. :lol:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe posted:

I was struck with a great and terrible inspiration during a raid the other day

I love this and I love you

A real Friend of the Library, here

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MJeff posted:

I think for a bargain to be Faustian, you have to actually pay a heavy price for it, Bungie skated away from both Microsoft and Activision free and clear, and if I had to guess, they're probably going for the hat trick. :lol:

Yeah, I don't think it's accurate to say Bungie is going to share the same fate as a brand new startup hungry for funding. They were 30 years old, they owned a major cash cow free and clear, and they'd been through this process twice already. At the very least Sony would not be able to just dictate terms and then steamroll management, they wouldn't have nearly as much leverage and Bungie probably could have walked away

Of course, we don't know what their internal books actually look like, so maybe D2 really is dead and they really did need the money. If only we had all bought those event tickets...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My understanding of the acquisition (which might be totally headass wrong) was that it was more about Sony A) Wanting Bungie's tech and expertise for live service games and B) Wanting to give Bungie the means to expand Destiny into a multimedia franchise, which is something they've obviously been dabbling with to some level of success with Uncharted and Last of Us. Was Uncharted a success? I guess I just kinda assumed it was. I was not under the impression that they were super concerned with the day-to-day financials of Destiny 2.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

MJeff posted:

expand Destiny into a multimedia franchise

imagine i posted the gif of seinfeld leaving the theater here

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MJeff posted:

My understanding of the acquisition (which might be totally headass wrong) was that it was more about Sony A) Wanting Bungie's tech and expertise for live service games and B) Wanting to give Bungie the means to expand Destiny into a multimedia franchise, which is something they've obviously been dabbling with to some level of success with Uncharted and Last of Us. Was Uncharted a success? I guess I just kinda assumed it was. I was not under the impression that they were super concerned with the day-to-day financials of Destiny 2.

I mean I'm sure they wouldn't be willing to expand Destiny into a multimedia franchise if it was an unprofitable game. We already know that they used Bungie to advise on the in-development-hell TLOU multiplayer game, and the multimedia angle seems to have had stops and starts, though if you carefully read the wording on the press release announcing Nathan Fillion's return it seems pretty obvious they hired him for more than just The Final Shape.

Uncharted came out when theaters were still kind of bogged down by Covid but still did reasonably well, and TLOU was a TV juggernaut.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lib and let die posted:

imagine i posted the gif of seinfeld leaving the theater here

If you don't want the Books of Sorrow anime, then we part ways here, sir and/or madam.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Bungie/Sony already fired all their Destiny Multimedia Personnel that were hired in 2021 and have since replaced them with Gabriel VanHuss, former executive of Warner Brothers and former-former programmer for Crunchy Roll streaming anime service

He's tasked with working alongside Julia Nardin (Destiny narrative lead) to "create strategy and execute the operations for expansion of Destiny into new media"

He then adds that new media could potentially include TV, films, books, comics, and audio formats. I must emphasize that he is not saying that Destiny is going to become a TV, film, books comics, and audio formats. He is listing these as potential avenues for the Destiny story to continue.

So basically instead of having the 2021 team working on Destiny Multimedia, they have a C Suite Exec who is figuring out whether it's more profitable to tell Destiny's Stories outside of the video game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Destiny the movie: three hours of raiding that climactically ends in failure when someone yet again shoots Riven in the eye while trying to cheese it out and the sherpa gives up and leaves

Starring Peter Dinklage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

That's ridiculous, I'm just palin' around with the guys, we're not gonna resurrect Nezarec!

The Fireteam Revives Nezarec