Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I cook but I prefer human flesh. Deal breaker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i get the no cooking bf if i had the money and the food near by to not to cook i wouldnt either. i just dont find it fun and im bad at it. i am poor in rural nc though so i do it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Everybody wants to be a gangster until it’s time to do gangster poo poo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I know a guy.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Foo Diddley posted:

the fae got him on that camping trip and replaced him with a changeling

that's not your husband, lady

I was thinking “vegetarian skinwalker.” So,same kind of mythological creature, just from different cultures.

I just really get a kick out of the idea of a terrifying magical creature taking over her husband’s life, but improving theirs and their partners lives. I’m sure it’s been done before, multiple times, in recent media.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If you have the disposable income to make feeding you into someone else's problem then all the more power to you, but it's still a handy skill to have.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ominous Jazz posted:

I'm saying this as someone who only has really learned to cook for himself this year; it's an essential life skill. Its cheaper and healthier but it also makes you better at budgeting your time and money. It should be taught early like potty training but there's no shame in starting late.

Edit:

...Yeah cooking never did that for me, it just made me eat less. Overall. Like "eating disorder" eat less.

Actually, I guess that technically was better on my budget, but I don't think that's a recommended way to improve your finances.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 8, 2023

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
everyone should be able to cook basic meals, even if they don't want to

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Hahaha, what the gently caress is going on?

No cooking dude is just a lazy turd, if he refused to learn to do laundry, or shower, or wipe his rear end or any other common domestic activity it'd be the same thing. All the whataboutism about living in a tiny studio in Manila or whatever is absurd, if they lived in an urban culture where cooking for oneself is uncommon the OP would've mentioned it. And it's entirely unapplicable because they obviously have a loving kitchen, because she cooks in it. "My BF won't learn to cook because we don't have a kitchen" would be a pretty boring post.

I've spent plenty of time living in military barracks where the only way to get food is the chow hall or eating out, and there's no reason to make a comparison between that lifestyle and the one the OP is obviously leading.

Even most apartments in Tokyo have a sink with room for a hot plate and a rice cooker.

Pirate Radar posted:

Most bizarre thing here is just sitting down to eat a pot of rice. Doesn’t say he ate anything else. Just filling up with a huge amount of plain rice.

My fiance does this when she's too tired to cook, just makes a pot of rice and puts soy sauce on it. It actually bugs me a lot because I put a lot of effort into making sure there's meals or leftovers that can be prepared/heated in <15 minutes.

Info for the incredibly obtuse: we have a fully stocked kitchen.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Not if you throw in some Chianti and Fava beans

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Elviscat posted:

No cooking dude is just a lazy turd, if he refused to learn to do laundry, or shower, or wipe his rear end or any other common domestic activity it'd be the same thing. All the whataboutism about living in a tiny studio in Manila or whatever is absurd, if they lived in an urban culture where cooking for oneself is uncommon the OP would've mentioned it. And it's entirely unapplicable because they obviously have a loving kitchen, because she cooks in it. "My BF won't learn to cook because we don't have a kitchen" would be a pretty boring post.

IMO people are allowed to be lazy in their personal life as long as they don't make it someone else's problem, and by her own version of the story he's got no expectation of her cooking for him if he doesn't want to, he's perfectly willing to spend the money and she speaks no concerns about his finances.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s interesting that he’s just straightforward about it and how it’s a dealbreaker for her. He doesn’t seem defensive, which would have suggested that his disinterest in cooking is down to not wanting to put in the effort or possibly that it digs at him that he doesn’t cook because (as this thread makes clear) not cooking or not cooking the right way or cooking too much can all diminish you as a person. Maybe it is the second thing though and he’s handled it by choosing to just disengage from the subject entirely, sort of a “the only winning move is not to play” approach, instead of letting it stress him out and make him behave poorly towards those around him?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the story with the grocery reimbursement makes me wonder if it is possible to survive exclusively on $7/pound sprouted organic brown rice and extra virgin olive oil

e: y'know, boujee rice

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Clark Nova posted:

the story with the grocery reimbursement makes me wonder if it is possible to survive exclusively on $7/pound sprouted organic brown rice and extra virgin olive oil

I want to know what vitamin deficiencies you'd develop on that, because there's gotta be a few...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I want to know what vitamin deficiencies you'd develop on that, because there's gotta be a few...
Beriberi.
When my husband and I moved in together, we were both enthusiastic cooks. I do supper once a week or so, but I find it exhausting; he does the majority because (A) he is the best and I don't deserve him and (B) he finds it soothing. I say all this to highlight that I've never been in the poster's situation.

That said, if I were in a live-in relationship with a hypothetical different person, I'd expect them to learn one emergency meal. Boxed mac n' cheese. Opening a jar of tomato sauce and making pasta. Tuna salad. That way, if an unplanned emergency did hit, I wouldn't have to be in charge of figuring out what to eat even if I was sick. Pandemic notwithstanding, you can't Doordash for weeks on end.

OP just has to decide whether it's a dealbreaker, and to break up if it is. Partner sees no reason to change.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Funny enough you would probably escape beriberi specifically because the question specifically posited BROWN rice, white rice is where you get beriberi.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Beriberi.
When my husband and I moved in together, we were both enthusiastic cooks. I do supper once a week or so, but I find it exhausting; he does the majority because (A) he is the best and I don't deserve him and (B) he finds it soothing. I say all this to highlight that I've never been in the poster's situation.

That said, if I were in a live-in relationship with a hypothetical different person, I'd expect them to learn one emergency meal. Boxed mac n' cheese. Opening a jar of tomato sauce and making pasta. Tuna salad. That way, if an unplanned emergency did hit, I wouldn't have to be in charge of figuring out what to eat even if I was sick. Pandemic notwithstanding, you can't Doordash for weeks on end.

OP just has to decide whether it's a dealbreaker, and to break up if it is. Partner sees no reason to change.

To be fair, when people say "I don't cook", they often MEAN "I can mix stuff and stick a box in the microwave." That tends to be what I mean. I'm not going to be able to grill you a steak, but come on, I'm not useless. If you have to learn to cook boxed mac n cheese, I don't know what to tell you.

Looking back, she does mention doordashing when she was sick, but was that just to make sure the food for her was good? What does he actually normally eat? Is it premade stuff he bought at the store, is it boxed stuff? How are they defining "he doesn't cook"?

Ah I finally found it. He does takeout. That's not ideal, but she also mentions that he apparently covered 80% of the rent in exchange for his last roommate cooking. That's not a bad deal. He certainly seems willing and able to pay for the service.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 8, 2023

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Whatever happened to "forbidden meats" guy? Did he die in Chinese prison?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I mean, taking the story at it's word, this first came to a head when he got takeout instead of cooking something like she asked when she was sick. The sort of really REALLY basic cooking people are talking about here is evidently something she already believes he is capable of doing. He just has zero interest in doing so under any circumstances where there is an alternative, and in the modern world if you make even mildly decent money, there is ALWAYS an alternative.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

maybe he's afraid of cooking because he accidentally dunked his twig and berries in hot fry grease as a child. you're all minimizing a man's trauma

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

There are a bunch of ways in which "a guy categorically chooses not to cook" can be problematic. Usually, those come from expectations that someone else will do the cooking. The fact that women do a bunch of uncompensated domestic labor is a huge problem in our society. But in the case as presented, that's not an issue. He's not asking or expecting her to cook for him.

Financially, eating take out all the time can be an issue. OP didn't mention whether it hurt their finances or not. Depends on his salary and other expenses. We can assume either way on this one, but we don't know whether they're financially safe despite all the takeout food, or not.

Healthiness is another thing where we can make assumptions. She doesn't say what he's ordering. Maybe he's getting salads, maybe he's getting triple cheeseburgers.

So we can assume he's putting them in financial jeopardy and getting fat, or we can assume he's making $150k and ordering salads or whatever, and everything in between.

The story as presented does not indicate that in this instance, the guy's refusal to cook comes with any concrete harm to the OP or her lifestyle. That actually kind of makes me think it might be bait, because of the differing assumptions we can (and seem to) make about the situation. If we assume everything in his favor (he's got plenty of disposable income, he's ordering healthy stuff, he's capable of pouring himself a bowl of cereal, making a sandwich, or microwaving premade meals) then whatever, and it's weird that she cares that much. If we assume everything against him (blowing up the budget, ordering fatty stuff, never even seen the inside of the kitchen cabinets) then she should have left him well before it got to the proposal stage.

I agree it's weird to not even be able to cook a few simple things. But weird doesn't necessarily mean bad and wrong.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Clark Nova posted:

maybe he's afraid of cooking because he accidentally dunked his twig and berries in hot fry grease as a child. you're all minimizing a man's trauma

Sitting to pee on the hot plate toilet.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

...Yeah cooking never did that for me, it just made me eat less. Overall. Like "eating disorder" eat less.

Actually, I guess that technically was better on my budget, but I don't think that's a recommended way to improve your finances.

Yeah I'm the same way. I'm actually fine at cooking, I can follow a recipe, I was taught the basics as a kid, I have some staple meals I can make. But for whatever reason the whole process just doesn't appeal to me at all, so a lot of times if the only options are "cook" or "don't eat", I'll just like house a bag of chips or something. Honestly I think it's living alone, cooking just for myself isn't enjoyable for me. I'll make an effort if somebody else is involved.

I mean, I agree that "I will never cook anything" is kind of a weird hill to die on, but whatever, he was honest with her about it from the beginning. I don't think it's misogyny or performative helplessness or the other stuff we see a lot here. Dude just has zero interest in cooking.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

The story as presented does not indicate that in this instance, the guy's refusal to cook comes with any concrete harm to the OP or her lifestyle. That actually kind of makes me think it might be bait, because of the differing assumptions we can (and seem to) make about the situation.

A decent amount of this she does answer in the comments, so doubt it's bait for that reason specifically (and to be honest a post that came with all the little bits and pieces pre-answered would be MORE suspect, in my opinion.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain Yossarian posted:

Whatever happened to "forbidden meats" guy? Did he die in Chinese prison?

He got busted trying to eat a panda so he's probably well on his way to that now

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

there's a lot more people than you'd think who'd happily pop a 2000kcal pill each morning and just never eat.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

haveblue posted:

He got busted trying to eat a panda so he's probably well on his way to that now

Lol I forgot about the Panda part. Thank you

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for telling my mom that I don’t give a f*ck about my autistic brother?

quote:

My (16F) parents didn’t have much time for me after my brother (9M) was born and it got even worse after he was diagnosed with autism when he was 3. My dad is rarely home and my mom is always busy with my brother so neither of them have time for me.

I’ve known my best friend “Rachel” since we were in kindergarten. Her mom is the nicest person I’ve ever met. Rachel and I played soccer but my mom was rarely able to take me to practices and games so Rachel’s mom would always take me. I used to be in the school choir and my parents went to like one performance during the six years I did it. Rachel’s mom was at every performance for me even though Rachel wasn’t in choir.

Those are just a few examples, but Rachel’s mom has always been there for me when my parents weren’t available. My mom never really cares what I’m doing unless she needs me to watch my brother so I spend a lot of time at Rachel’s house. Once I spent a whole weekend there and my mom didn’t even call to ask where I am. Rachel’s family go on a lot of vacations and they often take me.

They’re going to Disney World during Thanksgiving break and invited me to come with them. I asked my dad and he said I could go. They’ve already planned and booked everything and I’m really excited. I’ve been to Disneyland once with my family and it was horrible. My brother threw a huge tantrum on the first day because he wanted to go on the rides alone and sit between mom and dad so I had to stay in the hotel most of the time.

My brother found out that I’m going to Disney and he had a really big melt down. He loves Disney and he was mad that I was going without him. My mom told me that she was planning to go to Washington to visit my grandparents. My dad didn’t say anything about that so I’m pretty sure she just made that up to stop me from going. And even if they are going, I don’t want to. I don’t want to go on a fourteen hour car ride with my brother and I’m pretty sure when we get there they’re either going to make me stay with him while they go out or take him out and leave me alone in the hotel (I also wouldn’t be allowed to go out on my own).

She told me that I need to think about my brother and his feelings are more important because he’s younger and autistic. I told her that I honestly don’t give a f*ck about my brother’s feelings and I wish he was never born. He was there when I said all this and he’s been crying and screaming for the last three hours and it’s giving me a headache. My mom has been trying to calm him down and my dad said that he’ll still let me go because he understands I’m frustrated (he also grew up with a neurodivergent siblings so he knows what it’s like). My mom said that I’m a rude, ungrateful brat and I need to be kinder to my brother. AITA?

There's a lot of YTA telling her she needs to grow up, she needs to help her parents, and personally, i agree she shouldn't have said that in front of her brother, I also understand she has been neglected in his suffering for quite a long time so I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt that she doesn't act like that usually.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 8, 2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my mom that I don’t give a f*ck about my autistic brother?

There's a lot of YTA telling her she needs to grow up, she needs to help her parents, and personally, i agree she shouldn't have said that in front of her brother, I also understand she has been neglected in his suffering for quite a long time so I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt that she doesn't act like that usually.

Estranged Parent Speedrun, Any %

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pirate Radar posted:

Most bizarre thing here is just sitting down to eat a pot of rice. Doesn’t say he ate anything else. Just filling up with a huge amount of plain rice.

To be fair, rice is delicious. Don't know if I'd 'just' eat a whole pot of it, though.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

To be fair, rice is delicious. Don't know if I'd 'just' eat a whole pot of it, though.

The amount of rice consumed in Asian restaurants is borderline insane

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

quantumwell posted:

The amount of rice consumed in Asian restaurants is borderline insane

You mean perfectly normal.

I had a roommate who found it bizarre when I had rice with potatoes, like it's some cardinal sin to have two carbs.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The rear end in a top hat is the HR department here. Let the man eat his fancy rice. What the extra $5 is going to bankrupt you? That’s a well run company

ApplesandOranges posted:

You mean perfectly normal.

I had a roommate who found it bizarre when I had rice with potatoes, like it's some cardinal sin to have two carbs.

Peruvian spotted

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Elviscat posted:

My fiance does this when she's too tired to cook, just makes a pot of rice and puts soy sauce on it. It actually bugs me a lot because I put a lot of effort into making sure there's meals or leftovers that can be prepared/heated in <15 minutes.

Info for the incredibly obtuse: we have a fully stocked kitchen.

Sounds like you need to talk. Doesn't seem like a big deal though as long as food doesn't go to waste. Just let a tired person eat what they want.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The rear end in a top hat is the HR department here. Let the man eat his fancy rice. What the extra $5 is going to bankrupt you? That’s a well run company

He could easily be eating $100+ a month and they probably budget expecting like $20 (actually, probably expecting $0 from most people because they figure only a few employees are going to bother cooking and eating semi-healthy and submitting expenses for reimbursement.) Which, eh, he's maybe milking them for $0.50 an hour, it's a dick move to just kill the benefit permanently.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 9, 2023

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Sounds like you need to talk. Doesn't seem like a big deal though as long as food doesn't go to waste. Just let a tired person eat what they want.
No! They do something different from how I do! This is unacceptable!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Ultra Carp

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My (36f) husband (40m) suddenly changed for the better two years ago, but no one shares my concerns that about how odd it is that he dramatically became a different person overnight because all his changes were positive

Positive lifestyle changes :ohdear:

(Thanks to user DeeplyConcerned for inspiring the search term)

Never see a Gainz Goblin post on their own before

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hattie Masters posted:

Wait poo poo weren't you the one who said their friend dated David Aurini? Or am I thinking of another goon who's friend dated a turbofash

Yeah, it was Davis. He wasn't openly fash back then, just an edgelord and obnoxious prick. His WW2 paraphernalia wasn't even Axis stuff at the time. Guess that poo poo was either hidden or purchased later.

And then years later, I saw the hbomberguy video making fun of the plastic skull posted on these very forums and it was a very "Wow, but also, not that surprised" kind of moment.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

AceClown posted:

there's a lot more people than you'd think who'd happily pop a 2000kcal pill each morning and just never eat.

There are times I wish Bachelor Chow existed. Not an everyday thing, just an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My (36f) husband (40m) suddenly changed for the better two years ago, but no one shares my concerns that about how odd it is that he dramatically became a different person overnight because all his changes were positive

Positive lifestyle changes :ohdear:

(Thanks to user DeeplyConcerned for inspiring the search term)

I'd suspect this was viral marketing if the miracle cure was anything other than a fungus that grows in cow turds