Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I hate resting in games. camping and rest and whatever should be used as a narrative device exclusively, between travelling long distances or whatever

BG3 giving me poo poo for not resting in awhile while I'm still exploring the gigantic first area is so lovely. I tore through like 12 fights without even using a short rest, don't just go telling me I'm tired and locking story poo poo between resting

every edition of D&D sux. BG3 is still good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also limiting spells by slots and making them forgettable to make room for new spells is explicitly because D&D's magic system was inspired by the magic system in the Dying Earth series of novels by Jack Vance. They're not simulating reality, they're simulating a specific fiction, and the fact that there's a game balance built around it, to a degree, is almost incidental.

That balance gets thrown out with the bathwater when you actually see what spell lists they get to work with, however.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ibram Gaunt posted:

BG3 did some work to make martial classes stronger, yes but I think 5e inherently needing to put once per rest cooldowns on basic things like "rush attack" is extremely stupid in the same game with spellcasters having all the utility they do.

This is a BG3 thing, not a 5e thing. The closest thing to BG3's Rush Attack in 5e is the charge from the Charger feat, and you can charge every round if you feel like. A lot of those special attacks are extra things put into BG3 instead. There is a different recharge mechanic they could've stuck to moves like that so it's not always free to keep doing but still comes back faster than once per short rest, but it's mostly on monsters for things like breath weapons so a dragon isn't always burning everything forever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Runa posted:

You'd be surprised at what wack rear end limitations get written into martial classes for "realism" purposes rather than for game balance reasons.

What I'm saying is, you might not necessarily be wrong, but people writing for D&D have a history of making this kind of decision because they mistakenly think it is realistic and with no real concerns for game design beyond that. Simulationism is a hell of a drug, especially when heavily biased on the writer's part.

I admit I'm not talking about D&D5E here, I'm talking about BG3 in particular. I'm not informed enough on 5E to really talk about its strengths/weaknesses.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I admit I'm not talking about D&D5E here, I'm talking about BG3 in particular. I'm not informed enough on 5E to really talk about its strengths/weaknesses.

Well, fair enough.

I wasn't even talking specifically about 5e, it's a peeve of mine that's held true in pretty much every edition of D&D I've played. And the most egregious example is actually from Pathfinder, and the whole hullabaloo with gunslingers and quick draw, the details of which elude me atm.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is resting (as a gameplay concept) really any different than like having nonregenerating MP. Like yes it is literally very silly to take a 30 minute nap between every few hadokens but it's just a conceit for resource management (at least in theory).

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
In 5e a character with the max amount of Strength the game allows a player character to get can't even jump Olympic Long Jump distances lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mycot posted:

Is resting (as a gameplay concept) really any different than like having nonregenerating MP. Like yes it is literally very silly to take a 30 minute nap between every few hadokens but it's just a conceit for resource management (at least in theory).

i think the problem is that you are attaching a real-world metaphor (sleeping) to it in a way that makes no intuitive sense

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's too powerful that you can bonk a guy on the head with a hammer more than once without having to take a nappy. Meanwhile a wizard can do a billion damage in a giant aoe multiple times per rest, but that's no biggie.

In BG3, martials are almost universally enormously stronger damage dealers than spellcasters and they never run out of ammo for their primary method of killing people(clicking on them). Spellcasters have more tricks and more utility but lose quite badly on the "killing people dead" front. It's a pretty decent balance.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Looper posted:

i don't think that's even remotely true

outside of like the politics forums id say yeah its notably hostile for no reason i can understand

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think the problem is that you are attaching a real-world metaphor (sleeping) to it in a way that makes no intuitive sense

I never got the impression "Short Rest" was sleeping. I figured it was more like stopping to catch your breath.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah but food and eating are also used as gameplay mechanics and nobody seems to have a problem with Link eating a three course meal to shrug off getting stabbed? Everybody has different suspension of disbelief though.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Resting has always in D&D ostensibly been about trading time pressure for resource regen, even when it's just taking a short rest, but you need that pressure to actually exist. It used to be accomplished by things like wandering monster checks, now the DMG just sort of gestures to the idea that, "Well, yes, time does in fact still pass." But it's not hard enforced and is easy to ignore even when "hard" rules existed, and video games struggle to engage with that without a lot of work and the gameplay built around it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

babypolis posted:

outside of like the politics forums id say yeah its notably hostile for no reason i can understand

You must not look at many threads here lol. The ps5 thread, the switch thread, the xbox thread...The diablo thread, the destiny thread...the list goes on.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Martials in 5e actually are very strong and consistent in combat (even monks have a thing they can do and do well, which is a lot more than I can say about them in 3e), the only real problem with them is that they have very limited utility outside of this specialization. In terms of mechanics they can interact with, I'm going to spitball and say they can interact with about 25% of D&D's mechanics. The other 75% require spellcasting.

This matters less in a videogame where you control an entire party and matters a lot more when you're actually sitting at a table controlling one character.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

In BG3, martials are almost universally enormously stronger damage dealers than spellcasters and they never run out of ammo for their primary method of killing people(clicking on them). Spellcasters have more tricks and more utility but lose quite badly on the "killing people dead" front. It's a pretty decent balance.

Maybe this is true later but it hasn't really felt that way in act 1. Barbarian of course wrecks poo poo but that's kind of always been their thing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I do not find the ps5 thread particularly hostile :(

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i dont think ive ever liked the resting system in any crpg. it always just feels like an annoying interruption which is at best tedious and at worst a constant pointless nuisance. like a fps where you could only reload every gun x number of times before you had to 'sleep' for the night (crouch in a corner and sit through a loading screen while the skybox changes).

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You must not look at many threads here lol. The ps5 thread, the switch thread, the xbox thread...The diablo thread, the destiny thread...the list goes on.

The diablo thread is so fuckin bad lol.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Maybe this is true later but it hasn't really felt that way in act 1. Barbarian of course wrecks poo poo but that's kind of always been their thing.

The level 8 open hand monk in my multiplayer campaign does about as much damage every single round as the combined total damage of a fireball on a crowd.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the only times I've seen this thread get hostile is when somebody says something stupid and gets some pushback, and then doubles down into the ground

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Runa posted:

Martials in 5e actually are very strong and consistent in combat (even monks have a thing they can do and do well, which is a lot more than I can say about them in 3e), the only real problem with them is that they have very limited utility outside of this specialization. In terms of mechanics they can interact with, I'm going to spitball and say they can interact with about 25% of D&D's mechanics. The other 75% require spellcasting.

This matters less in a videogame where you control an entire party and matters a lot more when you're actually sitting at a table controlling one character.

BG3's heavy list of items at least seems to be a way to get around this. You get weapons, armor and equipment that functionally can do the same thing or better as spells. Some still work for spellcasters of course but like for example pretty much everyone in my party has a way to Misty Step. A hits things with sword does seem the less effective for pulling off weird gimmicks but on the other hand they can usually just bash down a door instead of having to solve a puzzle.

I think this isn't necessarily a bad thing in a game though. Like "my bard/thief are much better at handling challenges compared to my Barbarian who probably isn't equipped for a sneaking mission" is a nice way to assure everyone gets some time to shine.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Once you start getting a few items under your belt they benefit a lot. Once the fighter hit about level 5 she started to effectively solo entire encounters (and since I play Bard when I used Haste on either of them they became hilarious gods)

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
To add some context for people who don't know D&D: In 4th edition everyone had at-will, once per encounter and once per day combat abilities. It also introduced the concept of the short rest as formal system language for when encounter powers refreshed (and also you could refill your HP from your healing surges, essentially a big pool of reserve HP that also acts as a limit on how much total damage you can take in a day as most sources of healing also use them up), in fiction this represented simply the party catching their breaths after a fight or whatever, I think the rules spelled them out as five minutes long? Obviously you were expected to take a short rest after every encounter.

5th Edition really wanted to claim to be the ur D&D that has everything from every previous edition but also was made by and/or for people who hated 4th edition and everything it stood for so it used the short rest and healing surge names for things that actually didn't serve the same purpose at all. Potentially narratively significantly long 30 minute short rests that are supposed to be a decision and the healing surge name attached to a mechanic that does something closer to a mechanic from 4th called second wind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zokari posted:

it never fails to make me laugh that this is one of the angriest and most hostile threads on SA
disagreement is not anger or hostility op

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

I'm not really sure where that comment even comes from, this discussion doesn't seem that heated to me

multiple people have had their brains completely melted by me saying i dont like chrono trigger

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I remember clicking on the pokemon thread about 5 or so years ago out of curiosity and it was an absolute shark tank lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

one time a guy called me a drug addict in the ps5 thread because i said he was being rude in ff14 and i got probed for getting mad at him

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Sleng Teng posted:

I remember clicking on the pokemon thread about 5 or so years ago out of curiosity and it was an absolute shark tank lol

thats the first thread i think of when i think of formerly infamously bad threads

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the reality is sa culture largely lets you say insanely hosed up poo poo about anyone you want and its fine but you're discarded as 'mean' if you just clearly state your opinion without weasel words, because this forum is largely maladjusted nerds

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

one time a guy called me a drug addict in the ps5 thread because i said he was being rude in ff14 and i got probed for getting mad at him

That guy finally got in trouble for being crazy and instantly made a new account to continue posting the same way in the ps5 thread lol.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

babypolis posted:

It's the rpg thread so people treat interactions as random encounters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That guy finally got in trouble for being crazy and instantly made a new account to continue posting the same way in the ps5 thread lol.
lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Like any megathread on SA this thread can get pretty bad, but don't think it's especially worse than others. Probably a little better because its about rpgs, the greatest of videogames.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
all of this is what you get for talking to people on the internet

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Srice posted:

It's the rpg thread so people treat interactions as random encounters

that's it, I'm casting knights of the round on you. prepare for death

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if anything this thread is one of the like 3 megathreads in games id say is remotely capable of interesting discussion

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you like bad rpgs? prepare to die fools.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I cast magic missile on this thread *rolls D20, it rolls a 1, the missile hits me in the face and I die instantly*

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sleng Teng posted:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

thats the first thread i think of when i think of formerly infamously bad threads

Was it just discontent over the Sword/Shield generation or was there something else. I think it's fine now but people generally like Scarlet/Violet so there's not much to argue about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
getting flamed is a lot like getting hit by a full stack tower attack in disgaea