Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

haveblue posted:

Of course, we don't know what their internal books actually look like, so maybe D2 really is dead and they really did need the money. If only we had all bought those event tickets...

There was that weird story going around a while back that before Foresaken came out, the game was weeks from being completely shuttered which seems wild to me.

Engagement seemed up during Warmind, but maybe Activision didn't like the trends they were seeing?

I mean, when 0.1 of the playerbase can provide 70% of the income of a game (not real Destiny numbers), I suppose its when the whales start dropping that management gets worried.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I am thisclose to passing on everything until The Final Shape. I mean, I've spent all this time getting invested in the world and its characters so of course I'm going to see the grand finale of this storyline, but more seasons of unsatisfying grindy activities and stuff I couldn't care less about make me less inclined to take part in all that. Just make that last part good and I'd be happy to call it a series.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Snuffman posted:

There was that weird story going around a while back that before Foresaken came out, the game was weeks from being completely shuttered which seems wild to me.

Engagement seemed up during Warmind, but maybe Activision didn't like the trends they were seeing?

I mean, when 0.1 of the playerbase can provide 70% of the income of a game (not real Destiny numbers), I suppose its when the whales start dropping that management gets worried.

The weeks after launch were really bad and it quickly became apparent that Bungie wasn't gonna be able to fix any of the game's significant issues until at least Warmind, so Curse of Osiris was pretty fuckin' barren.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

That's ridiculous, I'm just palin' around with the guys, we're not gonna resurrect Nezarec!

The Fireteam Revives Nezarec

So anyway I started blasting. Bang! Bang!

double down guardian!

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Man, y’all are gettin doomer. I am not impressed with Bungie’s current direction, but tbh June/July/August is always the time of year where I take a few steps back from the game, play a bunch of indie games, chill out and touch grass. Then get back on the treadmill in September as the weather goes wet and cold. It’s summer, ffs.

I will say that I went from unrepentant whale to not buying any Silver this season, though. I’ll see how things shape up in S22.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Snuffman posted:

By “weird story” do you mean the GDC presentation where they outlined how the near complete failure of D2 at launch led the company to change the development of the game into a live service?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Man, y’all are gettin doomer. I am not impressed with Bungie’s current direction, but tbh June/July/August is always the time of year where I take a few steps back from the game, play a bunch of indie games, chill out and touch grass. Then get back on the treadmill in September as the weather goes wet and cold. It’s summer, ffs.

I will say that I went from unrepentant whale to not buying any Silver this season, though. I’ll see how things shape up in S22.

yep. (on all points—the armor ornaments were too rich for my blood this time around.)

this is the same portion of the cycle it always is lol. it’s the end of the season, if you’re done with your poo poo and not having fun you should play something else. it’s easy. Baldur’s Gate 3 just came out

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ullerrm posted:

even when I was taking breaks before I was still engaged with the story and foolishly hopeful for pvp updates

now I'm disengaged, I haven't even listened to the veil containment poo poo they hid in a monitor or whatever (and I loving loved the Ishtar stuff and have an FWC tshirt in a box somewhere)

and pvp? lmao. that was dead ages ago but at least the sotg was nice enough to put flowers on the grave

can the showcase for tfs still be incredible? sure. an I going to finish out this terrible games ten year pve cycle? sure

I guess the bar being on the floor means they can clear it easily

those of you who just like the alien shoots are probably having a good time, that's cool - for me, without pvp as an evergreen backdrop to dick around with stupid poo poo, I lose interest in pve grinding to clear pve content I cleared, and there's nothing out there like the crucible to replace it. back to the CoD mines I guess (which also has its arena compromised by battle royale crap :shepface:). Halo Infinite had zero stickiness in my play group and I don't enjoy BRs.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

sunday at work posted:

By “weird story” do you mean the GDC presentation where they outlined how the near complete failure of D2 at launch led the company to change the development of the game into a live service?

Ah see, I never watched that GDC presentation but I assume that's also the infamous GDC presentation that "don't overdeliver" came from.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I finally got my last iterative loop pattern today. :clint:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

smallmouth posted:

I finally got my last iterative loop pattern today. :clint:

Sounds like you can stop iterating on that loop.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is there a better exotic weapon for Sunbracers Warlock than Monte Carlo?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
in lower end content you can get your melee energy back by doing a helicopter gunship cosplay act, since aerial kills under heat rises refund melee energy anyway. i use heir apparent or jotunn because they're very funny but basically anything you can get kills with easily while hovering would work fine. xenophage, witherhoard, prometheus lens, gjally would probably all work great.

in higher end content you might want to consider using something else

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

dipping back in since beyond light and doing the witch queen campaign - do you get chest rewards periodically/at checkpoints during missions now? A couple of times per mission a pair of chests pop open and shower drops everywhere

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

kecske posted:

dipping back in since beyond light and doing the witch queen campaign - do you get chest rewards periodically/at checkpoints during missions now? A couple of times per mission a pair of chests pop open and shower drops everywhere

In the Witch Queen and Lightfall campaigns, yes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grimthwacker posted:

I am thisclose to passing on everything until The Final Shape. I mean, I've spent all this time getting invested in the world and its characters so of course I'm going to see the grand finale of this storyline, but more seasons of unsatisfying grindy activities and stuff I couldn't care less about make me less inclined to take part in all that. Just make that last part good and I'd be happy to call it a series.

Play whatever video game feels fun to you. Whether this or whatever.

The moment your video game of choice feels like a slog, or work, stop. It's meant to be recreation. Dump it and do anything else. Your wellbeing is more important.

Destiny 2 is technically a good game for how the gunplay and combat is. However there is only so much the current product can deliver. We won't see a notable refresh until say Marathon (uh... 4?) releases so if you're feeling burned out or whatever take a break. Play baldurs gate 3. Go hiking. Whatever.

You come first.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Play whatever video game feels fun to you. Whether this or whatever.

The moment your video game of choice feels like a slog, or work, stop. It's meant to be recreation. Dump it and do anything else. Your wellbeing is more important.

Destiny 2 is technically a good game for how the gunplay and combat is. However there is only so much the current product can deliver. We won't see a notable refresh until say Marathon (uh... 4?) releases so if you're feeling burned out or whatever take a break. Play baldurs gate 3. Go hiking. Whatever.

You come first.

I don't think an extraction shooter like Marathon is going have much in common with Destiny aside from being made by Bungie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It'll most likely have as close to the Destiny gunfeel as they can, and we can be pretty certain it'll be a live service game, but after that it's not really safe to predict anything

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i'm certain i'm not gonna play it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Mill Village posted:

I don't think an extraction shooter like Marathon is going have much in common with Destiny aside from being made by Bungie.

i mean, if there's one thing you can probably count on, it's that they'll both heavily feature rampant ai!

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

i mean, if there's one thing you can probably count on, it's that they'll both heavily feature rampant ai!

I forgot the most important thing of all.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

Uncharted came out when theaters were still kind of bogged down by Covid but still did reasonably well, and TLOU was a TV juggernaut.
I mean Halo would probably be the better comparison, I haven't seen it but it didn't seem well recieved turning Master Chief from a badass blank slate into an actual character.

I briefly wondered if it might end up being an ensemble thing about each class, but even the TV show is probably going to end up with a hunter main.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean Halo would probably be the better comparison, I haven't seen it but it didn't seem well recieved turning Master Chief from a badass blank slate into an actual character.

I briefly wondered if it might end up being an ensemble thing about each class, but even the TV show is probably going to end up with a hunter main.

Master Cheeks had a lot of issues in that show

The show had a lot of issues in general

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Kith posted:

Sounds like you can stop iterating on that loop.

I wish. I'd still like the stasis grenade launcher. At least pub events make lots of glimmer.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

RBA Starblade posted:

Master Cheeks had a lot of issues in that show

The show had a lot of issues in general

felt like it was a pre-existing script that got clumsily rewritten to be about john halo

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

video games should stay video games. simple as.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
TLOU worked because it was already basically a movie to begin with, they just deleted all the parts where you spend an hour sneaking around and killing dudes

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

smallmouth posted:

I wish. I'd still like the stasis grenade launcher. At least pub events make lots of glimmer.

If it helps, I've crafted this GL and it's maybe the worst gun I've ever shot. It seems to do the same damage as a special ammo wave frame, and frequently gets caught in terrain, doing nothing.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

ptroll posted:

If it helps, I've crafted this GL and it's maybe the worst gun I've ever shot. It seems to do the same damage as a special ammo wave frame, and frequently gets caught in terrain, doing nothing.

Lol, I guess I won't bother then.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

*signs in*

*fumbles for bright dust*

*buys shaders*

*signs out*

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Waffle House posted:

*signs in*

*fumbles for bright dust*

*buys shaders*

*signs out*

don't doxx me

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

A Destiny show should be an anthology series.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/s22_abilities_armor_preview

:rip: suspend

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 9, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Renewal grasp lads we are back

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
“Instead of Hallowfire Heart being a worse HoIL, we made it a worse Loreley Splendor”

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

:sam:

all of it, garbage lmao

"meaningful player decisions" my decision was to use strand to completely disable champions because champions are hosed, gently caress off with this poo poo

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

RBX posted:

A Destiny show should be an anthology series.

Honestly there's enough small stories with compelling characters to make a destiny anthology series really good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Noo my striker and knockout

How am I supposed to pretend to be good at pvp now, everyone already mostly knows to just dodge left against Jotunn and they're nerfing barricades too. I'm going to have to actually use skill again :negative:

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Foetracer gutted. Will have to find a new exotic to use. pouring one out for my mediocre favourite

Looking forward to trying out new Lucky Raspberry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Proponents of the 'Nerf Strand & Buff Stasis After 2 Seasons' theory are eating good 2nite

Stasis artifact mods next season, gah-ron-teed