Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Leave me alone in my little spaceship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This might seem rudimentary, so apologies, but I'm currently running three dirt pedals on my board- a RamsHead Big Muff to cosplay J Mascis, a BOSS Blues Driver with mod mainly for clean boost and a MXR Distortion+ to cosplay Bob Mould. I have a few other pedals on my board and its powers by a DC Brick with 8 9v outputs and two 18v ones. I've heard some people say that dirt pedals typically have a low draw, and can be daisy chained. Is it possible, safe and or advisable to use one of the 9v outputs to chain two or all three of those pedals and free up an output?

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

This might seem rudimentary, so apologies, but I'm currently running three dirt pedals on my board- a RamsHead Big Muff to cosplay J Mascis, a BOSS Blues Driver with mod mainly for clean boost and a MXR Distortion+ to cosplay Bob Mould. I have a few other pedals on my board and its powers by a DC Brick with 8 9v outputs and two 18v ones. I've heard some people say that dirt pedals typically have a low draw, and can be daisy chained. Is it possible, safe and or advisable to use one of the 9v outputs to chain two or all three of those pedals and free up an output?

Yep, you are correct, dirt pedals typically have a low current draw and it looks like the manual for the DC Brick says each 9v output can handle 150 ma current draw***. Using this site for reference , https://stinkfoot.se/power-list , those pedals are very low current draw so you should not have any problem daisy chaining them off one output. I think you could possibly end up with some more noise but it's safe to try out so you might as well give it a shot and see if it works for your needs.

My understanding is that you generally want to avoid daisy chaining any pedals that use digital processing, for those ones you want to give them their own power input, but I could be wrong on that.

***I believe that with most of these brick power supplies, you could still plug in a pedal that uses more than the 150 ma current draw of that output and it will still work, as long as the total current draw from all of the pedals plugged into the power source is less than what it's rated for, i.e. the manual for the DC brick says it can provide 1200 ma total for the 9v outputs.

homewrecker fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 29, 2022

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Yeah the big thing to avoid is daisy chaining anything digital with gain pedals (unless you're a particularly obnoxious noise artist)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Awesome, thanks! I'll give that a go!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if anyone's got a line for the behringer bi-phase let me know. i don't wanna pay like 5 times the price it's worth

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Well I got my hands on one now I'm looking for recs on expression pedals. Bought one of those cheap 20 nektar ones based on good reviews and just wanting to mess with one, but a more solid one would be nice.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

Well I got my hands on one now I'm looking for recs on expression pedals. Bought one of those cheap 20 nektar ones based on good reviews and just wanting to mess with one, but a more solid one would be nice.

Moog EP-3

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that and an Ernie Ball VP JR with a stereo breakout seem to be the go-to choices.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've heard you can use a flanger to get a double track-type effect, what settings would I use for that? I have the Dunlop/MXR EVH flanger

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
probably as light an effect as possible and still be noticeable. max 50/50 wet/dry. add a sub 50ms delay too. chorus will do the job too

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m getting back into making noise/dark ambient/industrial/electro acoustic stuff after many years away and some of my equipment seems to have poo poo the bed.

The easiest one to replace is the delay, my Boss DD-5 isn’t working.

I’m tempted to just get the DD-8, but I’m wondering if there’s something more interesting to try. I only really want one delay so it should be versatile. Ideally it would be self oscillating, and would be easily manipulable for lots of active knob twiddling.

A friend works at Eventide and has been pushing those, but I don’t want menus. I would like some weird modes, and I don’t know if this exists but I’d really love a fwd/rev delay. My ancient sampler has a fwd/rev loop mode and it makes for a cool undulating sound that’s more seamless than straight forward or reverse, I think that would be great in a delay.

I’m using a dj-70 sampler, Trogotronic 679, contact mics, and a pile of other bullshit

Is there something that would help me make both heavy druggy dreamy drone weirdness and also sound good with cut up chaos?

Inside of me there are two wolves, one doesn’t give a gently caress and says just buy some Mooer, the other part is willing to go up to $350 or so.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Leave me alone in my little spaceship

I feel like this guy might get what I’m going for :)

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

An ehx Canyon has heaps of fun modes, isn't insanely expensive and will keep you plenty busy.

A line 6 DL4 mk 2 does all the above, plus an insanely usable looper. It's a bit more expensive and bigger but it is cool as gently caress.

Neither have menus or LCD screens or any of that poo poo. Just knobs and buttons.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kingo Ligma posted:

An ehx Canyon has heaps of fun modes, isn't insanely expensive and will keep you plenty busy.

A line 6 DL4 mk 2 does all the above, plus an insanely usable looper. It's a bit more expensive and bigger but it is cool as gently caress.

Neither have menus or LCD screens or any of that poo poo. Just knobs and buttons.

These are all good suggestions.

I also like the various TC electronic delay pedals, especially the ones that allow you to blend three or four different delays at once.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thank you both! The Canyon looks great and I’m checking out the TC Flashback 2 now.

The Rainger FX Drone Ranger seems kind of amazing, it’s got some functions I hadn’t considered but might love.

The others that have jumped out at me are the Red Panda Particle and the Chase Bliss Habit, but the habit might be a little feature and price heavy.

Pedal shopping is tough these days, the options are endless and I start getting easily distracted by cool options when a couple days ago I just wanted a dead simple delay. It might come down to which eBay or Reverb seller has the best deal, or how spendy I’m feeling when I hit a buy button.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I have and adore a Boss DD-200

I have a TC Electronic Alter Ego X2 but I don't love it. Some of the sounds are limited and/or drab. I've tried a few TC E pedals but something always feels a little off to me. (I feel the same about EHX too--I really wanted to love them, but most of their pedals have an artifical icy-picky sound to them that grates my ears).

You might like something by OBNE. Their MINIM or Dark Star. Combine one with their Expression Ramper and you can get really wild.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s my birthday soon and I want a looper.

I’m a guitar beginner, and a decent enough synth toucher. I mostly write actual music in a tracker (i.e. a DAW), but it doesn’t really dovetail with a tele + Katana mk2. I’d like a way to make small-scale compositions and sketches without having to hook poo poo up to my PC. A looper looks like a good way to do this.

Clock sync would be aces, as would handling both line level and instrument level. A click track would be a big plus, though not a dealbreaker if I can run my Volca Drum into it. Multiple tracks would be really cool too, especially if they can all be different lengths. Some way to transfer the recording to my computer is a must have.

Oh yeah, and I mentioned this, but I do have a Katana-50 mk2. I don’t usually have it hooked up to my PC, it’s kind of a pain in the rear end to do that (at least until I move into my new apartment). Dunno if that changes things.

Anyone ever run into my problem? Did a looper help, and if so, what’s a good option?

Edit: did some research and I really like the sound of the RC-5. There’s the RC-505 too, but that’s quite a bit more expensive and I’m not quite sure how they differ in use case. Which should I get?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 13, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

ProperCoochie posted:

You might like something by OBNE. Their MINIM or Dark Star. Combine one with their Expression Ramper and you can get really wild.

Oh poo poo these are very cool, those guys seem to have some great stuff

Also gently caress, there’s so many wonderful pedals

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I figure the RC-5 is the most appropriate choice. The 505 is way more than I need, even a 500 or 600 seems like overkill. A looper with multiple parallel, variable length loops is basically a physical DAW, and I’ve already told myself not to go DAWless…

Unless there’s other loopers I should consider?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

I figure the RC-5 is the most appropriate choice. The 505 is way more than I need, even a 500 or 600 seems like overkill. A looper with multiple parallel, variable length loops is basically a physical DAW, and I’ve already told myself not to go DAWless…

It's been quite a while since I looked, but I ended up with a ditto (x2?) from tc electronics. I think their newer models have some of the features you're after. EHX has a few loopers that look interesting, too. I also had the older version of that boss rc-5 and it worked great.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
R/guitarpedals is actually a good subreddit, it's worth checking out. It will make you spend money though, be warned. But being into pedals for a few years now, I haven't bought any in over a year because there's always newer and cooler stuff coming out, it never stops.

Pollyanna posted:

I feel like looper is one of the pedals it's worth spending more money on. Two foot switches are an essential feature for me. If you got DAW and compose, you might want a more advanced looper than an RC-5 (which is an ideal pedal for guitar playing)

You might like a Boss RC-10R (I think you can extract the rhythm tracks out and keep just your recordings.)

Avoid Boss RC-30. I have it and it tracks like rear end into Ableton, nothing is ever in time.

I got a good deal so I bought a CBA Blooper which is way overkill but I wanted to check out the hype and get freaky with it.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

Snowy posted:

I’m getting back into making noise/dark ambient/industrial/electro acoustic stuff after many years away and some of my equipment seems to have poo poo the bed.

The easiest one to replace is the delay, my Boss DD-5 isn’t working.

I’m tempted to just get the DD-8, but I’m wondering if there’s something more interesting to try. I only really want one delay so it should be versatile. Ideally it would be self oscillating, and would be easily manipulable for lots of active knob twiddling.

A friend works at Eventide and has been pushing those, but I don’t want menus. I would like some weird modes, and I don’t know if this exists but I’d really love a fwd/rev delay. My ancient sampler has a fwd/rev loop mode and it makes for a cool undulating sound that’s more seamless than straight forward or reverse, I think that would be great in a delay.

I’m using a dj-70 sampler, Trogotronic 679, contact mics, and a pile of other bullshit

Is there something that would help me make both heavy druggy dreamy drone weirdness and also sound good with cut up chaos?

Inside of me there are two wolves, one doesn’t give a gently caress and says just buy some Mooer, the other part is willing to go up to $350 or so.

I feel like this guy might get what I’m going for :)

pedals pedals lets goooooo

Ok, so ignore the moog board because that poo poo is exorbitant by now. The main board though, nearly everything on there is under 350 I think. POG2 is sick. Make anything an organ sound, why not, its great. Bitquest is super versatile and covers a lot of bases in a small form factor, and I like that company, they seem like good people. The real big hitters on that board to me are the Fabrikat https://www.pladaskelektrisk.com/product/fabrikat-tall-knobs/, and the two industrialectric pedals. Overdrive in a reverb yeah why not. I'm prob going to replace specular tempus with something soon - I like the sound but the UI isnt to my taste

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I’ve been experimenting with some stereo and wet/dry rig setups lately and it’s absolutely awesome for throwing a full wall of sound into my face. My current chain was always meant to be temporary while I figured out if I liked the tones I got from it, but now that I know I can’t go back, I’m wondering if I need to consider getting an ABY pedal?

This is what I’m currently doing, in

Gain -> Wah -> Flashback 2 stereo delay -> one stereo output going to amp 1, the other stereo output going to all my modulation effects, then amp 2

Based on that chain, is there anything I would truly gain from an ABY pedal, or can I pretty much just keep doing what I’m already doing?

My first thought is that as long as I’m pushing any delay to amp1, I don’t have a true wet/dry rig, but at the same time, I don’t think I’d want to remove the “bounce around”/ping pong element I’m getting from the delay.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 18, 2023

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Gin_Rummy posted:

I’ve been experimenting with some stereo and wet/dry rig setups lately and it’s absolutely awesome for throwing a full wall of sound into my face. My current chain was always meant to be temporary while I figured out if I liked the tones I got from it, but now that I know I can’t go back, I’m wondering if I need to consider getting an ABY pedal?

This is what I’m currently doing, in

Gain -> Wah -> Flashback 2 stereo delay -> one stereo output going to amp 1, the other stereo output going to all my modulation effects, then amp 2

Based on that chain, is there anything I would truly gain from an ABY pedal, or can I pretty much just keep doing what I’m already doing?

My first thought is that as long as I’m pushing any delay to amp1, I don’t have a true wet/dry rig, but at the same time, I don’t think I’d want to remove the “bounce around”/ping pong element I’m getting from the delay.

The big thing with having a (decent quality) a b y is you'll have built in solutions for phase and ground issues. If your two particular amps aren't causing these than hooray, party on.

No one on the planet except the dickhead from Vertex pedals cares about "true" wet/dry, if you like the sound of it and it makes you want to play then the set up is Officially Correct.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I don't think I've run into phase or grounding issues, but how would I generally know?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

pedals pedals lets goooooo

Ok, so ignore the moog board because that poo poo is exorbitant by now. The main board though, nearly everything on there is under 350 I think. POG2 is sick. Make anything an organ sound, why not, its great. Bitquest is super versatile and covers a lot of bases in a small form factor, and I like that company, they seem like good people. The real big hitters on that board to me are the Fabrikat https://www.pladaskelektrisk.com/product/fabrikat-tall-knobs/, and the two industrialectric pedals. Overdrive in a reverb yeah why not. I'm prob going to replace specular tempus with something soon - I like the sound but the UI isnt to my taste

Thanks I was wondering what a few of those were! I love that Fabrikat and the other Pladask stuff looks very cool. That’s a sweet bunch of stuff you got there, it must sound amazing.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

Snowy posted:

Thanks I was wondering what a few of those were! I love that Fabrikat and the other Pladask stuff looks very cool. That’s a sweet bunch of stuff you got there, it must sound amazing.

Fabrikat is great. If you wanna hear a sample of the board in action here's a video I made for a buddy like six months back to demonstrate some routing stuff, it's just through the onboard phone mic but you'll get the idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbdpdhdyxxU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Gin_Rummy posted:

I don't think I've run into phase or grounding issues, but how would I generally know?

You'd be able to hear either.

Grounding issues - loud buzz or hum
Phase issues - sound is thin / weak with missing frequencies, usually mids.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

You'd be able to hear either.

Grounding issues - loud buzz or hum
Phase issues - sound is thin / weak with missing frequencies, usually mids.

So based on that, I don’t think I have phase issues, but maybe I should just get a used Fender ABY to make sure… they run as low as $35, so there isn’t a huge downside to testing it out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ProperCoochie posted:

R/guitarpedals is actually a good subreddit, it's worth checking out. It will make you spend money though, be warned. But being into pedals for a few years now, I haven't bought any in over a year because there's always newer and cooler stuff coming out, it never stops.

I feel like looper is one of the pedals it's worth spending more money on. Two foot switches are an essential feature for me. If you got DAW and compose, you might want a more advanced looper than an RC-5 (which is an ideal pedal for guitar playing)

You might like a Boss RC-10R (I think you can extract the rhythm tracks out and keep just your recordings.)

Avoid Boss RC-30. I have it and it tracks like rear end into Ableton, nothing is ever in time.

I got a good deal so I bought a CBA Blooper which is way overkill but I wanted to check out the hype and get freaky with it.

The RC-10R looks fuckin sick actually, I might get that one!

When you say DAW and compose, in my case I mean that I generally make music by keying VSTs and samples into a tracker rather than recording audio into Reaper. I’ll probably end up recording loops anywhere from 1 to 8 bars long and either loop ‘em or chop them up as needed. (i can’t solo for poo poo)

Not long til my birthday :cabot:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fabrikat is great. If you wanna hear a sample of the board in action here's a video I made for a buddy like six months back to demonstrate some routing stuff, it's just through the onboard phone mic but you'll get the idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbdpdhdyxxU

Very cool! Thanks for sharing

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’m thinking of picking up an overdrive to go along with my Rat and Big Muff, mostly just bedroom playing through headphones. I’m currently deciding between a cheap TS clone (Joyo’s seems good), an EQD Plumes, or a BD-2. Any opinions or other recommendations to check out?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Get a plumes, they just sound good no matter what.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Toebone posted:

I’m thinking of picking up an overdrive to go along with my Rat and Big Muff, mostly just bedroom playing through headphones. I’m currently deciding between a cheap TS clone (Joyo’s seems good), an EQD Plumes, or a BD-2. Any opinions or other recommendations to check out?

Plumes is very well regarded for the "TS-esque" space. I have an EHX East River Drive which is a true bypass clone of the TS-808 and relatively low cost (not a lot less than a Plumes though). Joyo Baatsin is a TS clone with a selector knob for a bunch of variations of that circuit.

You might want to check out a Klon Centaur clone. There's a bunch out there that mention "horse" or "pony" or something in the name (Joyo's version is "Tauren"). EHX Soul Food and MXR Sugar Drive are also very similar.

Joyo Ultimate Drive is another easy recommendation and a clone of the Fulltone OCD. EHX OD Glove is a very similar circuit as well.

Slightly less common are clones of the very well regarded Hermida ZenDrive, which is supposedly "Dumble-esque". I believe the Joyo Taichi is supposed to be a clone of that circuit.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A Nobels ODR/Nordland ODR should be in the discussion imo.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

A Nobels ODR/Nordland ODR should be in the discussion imo.

Nobels ODR-1/mini are cheap enough that I could recommend them to someone relatively new to pedals. It just didn't make it into the first 4 I thought of for someone buying their very first overdrive.

My next 4 overdrives to recommend over the 4 types above would probably be the Timmy, Boss OD-3, ODR-1 (with bass cut), and the Duke of Tone or a somewhat-reliable clone of the full King of Tone (Joyo King of Kings maybe).

Nordland ODR-C is pricey enough that I wouldn't recommend it, although I've heard only good things about it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kingo Ligma posted:

Get a plumes, they just sound good no matter what.

Seconding Plumes. It really is that good.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a an EQD Plumes and an EHX Crayon for my overdrives right now. You can't really go wrong with them, or a Blues Driver, or Nobels. They're all fantastic. Also consider a Boss SD-1, it's a classic for a reason.

I've played a lot of pedals over the years and I will say that OD is something that is kind of hard to gently caress up, and if they do you'll know within seconds. I used to have an old Yamaha OD which was great too. Like there's a lot of speciality and expensive ODs, but if you don't know what you want specifically then don't spend that much on them. Just get an old standby.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

get another rat :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Or an Acapulco Gold into two rats