Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

OnimaruXLR posted:

I remember people saying Roman would follow in his cousin's footsteps and break big in Hollywood

I think that was one of those moments when I realized that wrestling fans might have absolutely no capacity for taking the measure of a performer

Suffering succotash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I think Wrestling Fans drastically over-estimate the WWE-to-Hollywood pipeline. Like it worked out great for The Rock and Batista but Rock has that weird Hollywood Superstar type charism that translated perfectly to the kinds of dumb movies he stars in, and as people have said Batista is actually really dedicated to the craft, and that's about it. Every other WWE star is like, at best appearing in some godawful Adam Sandler or Steven Seagal movies at this point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Drakkel posted:

I think Wrestling Fans drastically over-estimate the WWE-to-Hollywood pipeline. Like it worked out great for The Rock and Batista but Rock has that weird Hollywood Superstar type charism that translated perfectly to the kinds of dumb movies he stars in, and as people have said Batista is actually really dedicated to the craft, and that's about it. Every other WWE star is like, at best appearing in some godawful Adam Sandler or Steven Seagal movies at this point.
Cena has worked out pretty well, but he mostly just played John Cena except when he's playing Dolph Ziggler.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Wrestling fandom is a large niche, but it remains a niche because most of the people outside of it aren't even curious.

If you were to survey 100 random people to name as many active wrestlers as they could, I'd be deeply surprised if more than like 15 named Roman Reigns. (And I'm estimating high - 15 is a lot for a wrestler who isn't in movies!)

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Yokuzuna is still around right?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Bits of him are maybe

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

maruhkati posted:

Wrestling fandom is a large niche, but it remains a niche because most of the people outside of it aren't even curious.

If you were to survey 100 random people to name as many active wrestlers as they could, I'd be deeply surprised if more than like 15 named Roman Reigns. (And I'm estimating high - 15 is a lot for a wrestler who isn't in movies!)

How many would say hulk hogan

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hirez posted:

Yokuzuna is still around right?

Yup

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I love Sonya but her in-ring career has been a disaster.

They should have tried pushing her ages ago instead of jobbing her out in most of her matches.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Cena has worked out pretty well, but he mostly just played John Cena except when he's playing Dolph Ziggler.

I think Cena has become a legit good actor. I dunno if he'll ever be a great dramatic actor, but he's been able to show some range in Peacemaker.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

maruhkati posted:

but what about mainstream famous person Rhea Ripley

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Drakkel posted:

Roman will go to the papers if he has to.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Daniel Bryan posted:

How many would say hulk hogan

90 to 100, which is also how many would say randy savage

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
How quickly we forget about the star of the award winning hit series The Mandalorian Sasha Banks!

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

I texted my mom to name an active wrestler, and she wrote back "it's Sting!!"

She remembered painting my face as a littler Stinger for halloween like 30 years ago :unsmith:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If you asked 100 non-wrestling fans to name an active wrestler I'd be surprised if more than half of them could name a single one

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

This guy Cody

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

pop culture has been extremely fragmented for 20 years. no non-fan can name anyone in most popular entertainment like a baseball player or a character on a tv show that's still being produced. The Rock made it out of wrestling before this happened and 2 people made it out afterward. batista wouldn't have been given anything more than his lovely early roles if he wasn't a good and likable guy who made connections on his own unlike triple h and other wrestlers who had the exact same start then had nowhere to go. anyway, people not knowing wrestlers is not a sign of the lovely booking or stuff like that. those things speak for themselves. baba booey

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Intruder posted:

If you asked 100 non-wrestling fans to name an active wrestler I'd be surprised if more than half of them could name a single one

Yeah, this. The first response you'd get would most likely be "I don't know, I just told you I don't watch wrestling" and then when pressed they'd name someone retired from the 80s or 90s.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Do fans of baseball and football weep for the plight of the casual fan

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Intruder posted:

Me:Asking the question
Random person: The Rock?
Me: No he isn't active
Random Person: uhhhh Cena?
Me: No he isn't active
Random person: *blanky stares at me*

I imagine Roman, Brock, Ronda have to be the most known and 2 of them are known for non WWE things.
Cody maybe but i don't think he has ever got into the mainstream.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
A lapsed fan could probably name myself or Punk

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

For no reason my too 5 matches I want to see happen at Mania 40 (which I will attend)

Cody vs Roman 2
Brock vs Gunther
Bayley vs Becky
Dominic vs LA Knight
Bianca vs Rhea

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Has Cena ever wrestled Hulk Higan? They should do that

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
^Cagematch has them team up in 2 (1 dark) six man tag matches. They never wrestled each other.^

I think people in the US would struggle just to name the reigning MVPs of 3* of the big 4 sports leagues in North America (Mahomes being the possible exception). By comparison, I know the Ballon D'Or exists (unlike most people here) & you could give me 100 guesses on who has it now and I will likely miss with Western Europe collectively shake their head in disbelief. The idea that a average person can name a active wrestler is highly unlikely unless they know someone who is active in the bubble that is pro wrestling.

*Baseball has 2

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 9, 2023

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think a good amount of people would say the undertaker

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Real Worlds Champion Miz

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I asked my wife if she could name a wrestler and she said Sheamus. She couldn’t name anyone else.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I asked some guy on the street and he said Tuesday.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I asked my wife if she could name a wrestler and she said Sheamus. She couldn’t name anyone else.

A shameful thing

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Does she know Cesaro? That guy was cool

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

what on earth

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

everyone knows Sheamus

not a joke, Sheamus literally does seem to be one of the few wrestlers that have stuck out in people's mind over the past decade+.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Missed Raw live but catching up - anyone pitched Rollins/Nak/Cody as the WHOA-OH Trio yet?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Missed Raw live but catching up - anyone pitched Rollins/Nak/Cody as the WHOA-OH Trio yet?

A YEEEAHOH is distinctly different from a WHOA-OH, please remove Nak and replace him with Sami.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Intruder posted:

Bits of him are maybe

they say statistically every breath you take has an atom of Yokozuna's rear end in it

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Sami was part of the crew originally until J.D. McMetoo attacked him and he was replaced with a volunteering Nak, who TURNED on Seth after the match...

we tell stories.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

A couple of years ago I did some work with an org that partnered with WWE’s Be A Star program and they had a signed life size cardboard standee of Sheamus in their break room. I don’t think any of them knew anything about wrestling other than that

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/WrestlingNewsCo/status/1688923202607824896

Roman takes the inside-out bump, Jey goes for the dive, sees Roman is leaning over the barricade, screams "JOE! JOE!", does the dive, Roman doesn't stand up, takes the dive on his back and I guess gets hurt there?

I dunno who I'm more annoyed with here, Roman for not knowing how to take a loving tope, or Jey for clearly seeing that he's not ready and just doing it anyway.

I think he might have hurt his ankle on the inside out bump, because he immediately sells and he's not nearly that good at selling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

cody nak. doo doo doo doo. cody nak [song from Rocky the motion picture, seen by everyone]